The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:45 AM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Advertise here
Imagine someone's just given you some advice which you didn't ask for, but which is relevant to you. It could be about anything - from some work you're having trouble with to relationship advice, health advice, social advice, whatever. How do you react? Are you offended? Grateful? How likely are you to take the advice, even though you never said you wanted it to be given to you? Why? Will you consider this advice in the same way that you'd consider any other advice?

Last edited by shenanigans; January 22nd, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Ice-Dragon

Nature: Calm
Well this happens to me a bit. The advice is generally about social, because being shy I don't talk much. I simply agree with the comments, because I know they're true. Secretly I'm grateful, because most of them aren't the thing you'd ask.
Slowly, I've been taking the advise, and the comments lessen.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
People generally don't do that to me, aside from dumb stuff (i.e. telling me that I need to eat more). If someone did, though, my reaction would depend on what the advice is about. If it's something that's relatively obvious (like my being unsocial), then I might consider using it, depending on who is telling me. Generally, if the one giving advice is younger, I wouldn't bother. There are a few exceptions, though.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
I dislike when people get upset over this type of thing, unless the person was being condescending or something. Sometimes the best advice comes from where you aren't expecting, and I think it's foolish to turn any help away. I usually just thank the person, put it in the back of my mind and move on.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:42 PM
outfox
in

Send a message via Skype™ to outfox
I'd politely thank them and then not follow their advice. I wouldn't be offended, even if they gave me unwarranted advice condescendingly. It's not my place to humiliate. Instead I'd follow my own advice to not behave like them.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
daigonite
"PLAAAY MY GAAAAME!!!1"
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
People do this to me often since I have a tendency to step outside my boundaries. That's okay though, we're all different. But yeah.

I don't really mind it, I'd rather people tell me I'm doing something wrong than keep doing it wrong. I'm surprised that people hate it so much.

Last edited by daigonite; January 22nd, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: grammmaaaaaarz
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:55 PM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

I appreciate knowledge and take what is said at face value because that's all that could really matter. Whether or not I'm already aware of what the advice suggests, I would be grateful that someone took the care to mention a potentially alternative way about whatever.

DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can sail the seven seas. In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.

Last edited by Cassino; January 22nd, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
It depends on my own confidence towards what they're giving me advice for. When I'm very unconfident towards it, like when I started to drive, I accepted any and all advice and it was helpful and I liked it. But once I started to gain skill and was an average driver, advice tended more to break down my confidence as a driver than help me because it felt like I must be a lot worse than everyone else on the road if I have to be constantly corrected while everyone else is fine. Then when I'm very confident about something, I tend to not be bothered by advice really but I won't take it without question; I'll compare it to what I already know about the subject.
PM
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
usually i roll my eyes and throw them a sarcastic thank you. i hate it when people give me advice that i haven't asked for. if i was interested in what they thought i should do, then i would have asked them.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:19 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I'll brush it off at the moment and then think it over until I die but never actually take it because I'm far too stubborn to take unwanted advice and it'd make me feel like I got the last laugh.
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I would politely say "thank you" and not take their advice
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I don't mind it at all, except when it's malicious or more than condescending. An example would be "___ is a great workout for abs at the gym. Really helps tone if you're up for it!" is fine, instead of "you should do __ at the gym to get rid of that massive hippo belly you have."
Stuff like that..
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

I would be slightly offended if some stranger (or even friend) just randomly came up to me and gave me advice. I am kinda sensitive towards that kind of stuff. I only really like advice if I ask for it..

I know it seems really stupid, but ugh. I don't like people telling me how to do things unless I want help.
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Sodom
The Bible just got a whole lot sexier.

I don't really see why anybody would be offended. Even if you didn't solicit the advice, having somebody care enough about your problem to try and help you through it is incredibly sweet, I think.

I'd take the advice the same way I take any other advice - if I agree with it and think it's good advice I'll follow it, if I don't I won't.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old January 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Renpuu
Gengar !

Quote:
Giving and Receiving Advice:
There are many in the world who are eager to give advice. There are few who feel glad to be given advice. And there are still fewer who follow the given advice.
No one will try to admonish you when you grow older than thirty. Consequently, you will grow more willful due to lack of warning. The result is that you repeat wrongdoings and you add to your folly throughout the rest of your life. Then you go to do no good. So take every opportunity to get familiar with the 'way knowing' people and learn lessons from them.
This is a quote from the English translated Hagakura.

It speaks for itself and I decided to share this with you all.
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Yoshikkko

I'd be indifferent, I don't mind if someone thought I needed advice on something. I wouldn't be offended either because they could have had good intentions and if they didn't then it wouldn't be worth it, and I'd decide for myself if I'd want to follow it or not.
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renpuu View Post
This is a quote from the English translated Hagakura.

It speaks for itself and I decided to share this with you all.
OK MAN I WILL LISTEN TO YOU WHEN YOU GIVE ME ADVICE OK!?!

No more cracking the egg directly onto the frying pan and making a mess everywhere I HAVE LEARNT MY LESSON V_V

I try to be open minded and willing to listen to advice but recently I think I became a bit too arrogant for my liking and closed up a bit. I think Renpuu has helped steer me back in the right direction though. But yeah, as long as the advice seems reasonable to me, I'd be likely to take it on board.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Sammi
I change my usertitle as often as PC changes slogans
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
People want to help me? I'm okay with that. It's cool they'd want to help without me asking for it (and I'll be honest, I hardly ever do).

If it's good advice, I'll probably try to follow it. If it's not, then I'll just thank them and think they're weird/wrong and be on my way. No need to be all offended or mad over it. It's just an opinion, after all.
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi-san View Post
If it's good advice
And what makes you think you're wise enough to pass such judgements?
This question is not aimed specifically at you; anyone who reads this is free to answer.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:29 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
Imagine someone's just given you some advice which you didn't ask for, but which is relevant to you. It could be about anything - from some work you're having trouble with to relationship advice, health advice, social advice, whatever. How do you react? Are you offended? Grateful? How likely are you to take the advice, even though you never said you wanted it to be given to you? Why? Will you consider this advice in the same way that you'd consider any other advice?
I'll probably just accept it, since normally it's about being shy, which I'm getting over with, so doesn't happen all too often
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here