• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Low Level Challenge

Years

The Low Level Challenge!
So the basic idea of this challenge is to go through the game with as low levels as possible! Sounds easy? Try it out and see for yourself! ;)

Now, here's where things get a little trickier. To help ensure you stay at low levels and add difficulty, you can only catch pokemon that are of the same level or are a higher level than the highest pokemon in your party (so if you have your highest leveled pokemon out in front, and use a repel, anything that shows up can be caught).

But because one could just solo this challenge, there are some check-up points. Your pokemon must be lower or equal to these levels: (spoilering because it's a huge list)

Spoiler:

To have completed the challenge you have to beat the champion once, except for in BW where you have to beat the Alder twice you only have to beat Ghetsis.

The only way to lose this challenge is if you have any pokemon leveled higher than they're supposed to be during any of the checkpoints. It's harsh but there needs to be a consequence. This also includes boxed pokemon. (Feel free to box though)

Tips (take em or leave em):

• Try rotating your team, and keep in mind you can catch as many pokemon as you want.
  • Also, try and evolve ASAP as evolved pokemon take longer gaining experience
  • Try and avoid battles, here's a location of the item smoke ball to help you escape wild battles: http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/smokeball.shtml
  • Here's a list of pokemon that take a lot more experience than others to level up!:

I think that's basically it, so here's the sign up!

Username: GolurkIsDaBomb
Game: Diamond (since it's now free )': )
Ultimate Or Single: Single

Challengers (Single):

Spoiler:

Challengers (Ultimate):

Spoiler:

Winners! (Single):

Spoiler:

Winners! (Ultimate):
Spoiler:

I think those are all the rules, so good luck! Use this gif for inspiration!
tumblr_m02hl4lpG71qi4nvdo1_250.gif

*As a side note, I wish an extra amount of good luck to anyone brave enough to try B/W or B2/W2, due to the leveling system!

Last edited:

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
My gosh, this sounds fun. I suppose I can add another challenge on the list of things for me to do...

Username: BlueShellBeast
Game: Fire Red -> Silver -> Emerald -> Diamond -> Black 2
Ultimate Or Single: Ultimate

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
55 is too high for the Champion in FRLG, I managed it with L50 Pokémon, even without using Revives. I think L45 would be more appropriate.

Years
BlueShellBeast you've been added. Good luck! :D

@Cerberus I know it's possible to do it with lower level pokemon, but I didn't want to make it too difficult, as success really depends on your team, the skill of the player etc. I tried to make the level for the champions be 7 levels lower or so than the champion's highest pokemon. And anyway, the maximum levels are just that, maximum ;) I encourage people to go lower if they feel like it!

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Hi Golurk :3, I'll join your challenge! It sounds tricky but fun :D!

Username:Rainbow Arcanine
Game: Ruby
Single or Ultimate: Single

Years
Twihiki and Sophie, you've been added!

By the way, I noticed I made an error in the rules:

"you can only catch pokemon that are of the same level or are a lower level than the highest pokemon in your party"

should have been, and is now:

you can only catch pokemon that are of the same level or are a higher level than the highest pokemon in your party

Update Number 1
Spoiler:

WOW that ended up being a lot longer than I had intended it to be! My next updates should be a lot shorter than that! Here's the team by the way:

Cobb - Magikarp - Level 12
Inara - Zubat - Level 12
Atherton - Geodude - Level 12
Malcolm - Chimchar - Level 12
Kaylee - Aipom - Level 12
Badger - Onix - Level 12

If anyone has any suggestions for who from my roster of extra pokemon I should add to my team in place of someone else, I'm all ears! :D

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
you can only catch pokemon that are of the same level or are a higher level than the highest pokemon in your party
I was wondering about that. I assumed that you made a mistake about the repel. Should I restart my Fire Red file seeing as I caught a few that were a lower level than me?
Edit: Also, when you say Party, does this include only your party of 6, or does it also include your box?

Last edited:
Years
I don't want to have to make you restart! I'd prefer you just permanently boxing those pokemon.... but since it was my fault with the rule, you can keep them on your team if you want. I won't be mad :D

And yes, this includes all pokemon in your PC, since otherwise you could keep one pokemon low leveled and then have the rest of your party at solid levels, and then box the good part of your team when you wanted to catch something.

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
Do you mind if I switch Fire Red to regular Red? My set of Japanese Pokemon games just came in, and I'd rather do the challenge on that.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
Username lineofdeath
Game leafgreen, heartgold, emerald, pearl black 2 (CHALLENGE)
Ultimate or single ultimate

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
This challenge looks fun!

I guess I'll try it.

Username: Samurott01
Game: Hmm, I guess Black 2.
Single or Ultimate: Single (I'm kinda focused on monotypes so no time for ultimate)

Alrighty, I'll update when I can!

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Hey Golurk, I hate to say it, but I must withdraw from my Low-Level Challenge. I am busy enough without all my challenges with school, and my Youtube channel, and the three challenges are not helping. I am hoping that maybe I will restart this challenge once I am done with my current Ultimate challenges, because I always take a little break once I finish. I'll be back!

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Username: KoboraX
Type: Single
Game: Red

Short team update. I'm up to Pewter City right now, ready to go for the gym.
Spr_1b_001.png

Whippy (Bulbasaur) Lv. 9
Moves: Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed

I plan to go pick up a Weedle in Viridian Forest and get my whole team to Lv. 10 before Pewter Gym.​

Last edited:
Back