The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:01 PM
CourageHound's Avatar
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I dont really see any new types being made. However maybe the super effectiveness of some types might be altered? Because in my opinion, poison should be supper effective against bug. Cuz pesticides > bugs.
__________________
Zi-Zi's Journey - Lindsey Stirling
Reply With Quote
  #52    
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Miss Anne Thrope's Avatar
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northwest
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
So, awhile ago me and my brother stumbled across some Pokemon news (which apparently happened to be fake.) It mentioned that Pokemon was going to introduce a new typing.
Now, while I discovered the news is fake, it got me thinking about what they could add as a new type.

The only types I could fathom in my mind were like.. Sun or Light type, or possibly something like a Cosmic/Star type.

Do you think they will add a new type to Pokemon.. To X/Y, or ever?
Do you want them to?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53    
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:05 AM
loucas's Avatar
loucas
100% hot
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: philippines
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
17. that's it. rock, paper scissors. no sky, sun or sea. it's balanced you see.

maybe new type combo, but not new types.
maybe more fusion, as we started talking DNA. so yeah.
__________________

BLACK: 4341 7135 0561
WHITE: 5372 5056 7476
Reply With Quote
  #54    
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
True Epicness's Avatar
True Epicness
Magnificent Turnip
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alone, in my cold, dark room...
Gender: Male
Turnip type. It's bound to happen.

Nah, anyway, I'm not sure about new types. It'd be cool, yes, but there'd be all of the complications with balancing and re-typing issues, probably adding quite a few attacks, too (they can hardly have an entire new type and only have it having one attack).

If they were to do it, it'd all depend on whether they did it well or not. I don't think many people would complain if they added in a few new types and balanced them really well.
__________________
Turnips shall rise.

Reply With Quote
  #55    
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Altairis's Avatar
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: database database
Gender: Female
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:
Originally Posted by giradialkia View Post
I doubt it. They brought in Steel and Dark purely to even things out, Psychic was overpowered and... I don't know. I read a decent explanation somewhere once, and while I can't remember it word for word, I know that it's unlikely and unnecessary for more new types to be introduced.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Why do we need a Light type to oppose Dark? There are already things that Dark is weak to.. it's not like it's overpowered or anything.

They didn't bring in new types "just because" they did it because Psychic was way overpowered and they wanted to balance everything out. I don't think that adding a new type would help balance anything, it would probably actually ruin a lot of things because a lot of past Pokemon would need re-typing, and it just seems like a lot of unnecessary effort, I don't think there's going to be a new typing =/
__________________

SHOWDOWNGALLERYANIMEPAIR

Reply With Quote
  #56    
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:15 AM
fffire24
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
I'm going to bring a different point of view than the type match ups. If they add more types, then gamefreak can have more creativity in creating each pokemon. A lot of people complain about how redundant pokemon have been over the years, though I disagree, adding a new type allows so many more creative options. For example, we may have our differences about adding a light type, but think about how untouched it's art style is in the pokemon world. There are very few white pokemon.

Instead of looking at often negative view of complicating match ups, look at the creative freedom a new type can open up to pokemon design.
Reply With Quote
  #57    
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Schwan's Avatar
Schwan
Frontier Brain
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: University Campus!
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I'm pretty sure new types were only introduced in Gen II to balance out types that were considered "significantly better" than others (obviously Psychic, lol.) While I have believed for a while that Steel and Dark may be a tad too strong in terms of resistances or overall stats, I do not think that new types are necessary to balance out these often subjective imbalances.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58    
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Alpha King's Avatar
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA (MD)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
The only reason a new type would need to be created is to give a boost to poison types who suffer severely from lack of reliable, powerful STAB since grass is the only thing weak to it. It would also be helpful if it were to be resisted by ice types who need the extra defensive help.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #59    
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Altairis's Avatar
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: database database
Gender: Female
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I don't think they create Pokemon to fit a certain type, they might say "We need more Steel types" and create some based off of that, but I don't think they're not going to say, "Oh, we can't have this be a Pokemon because we don't have a type for it." Porygon's line would be a perfect Digital type, but in the end it's just normal. If they create a "Light type Pokemon" what's stopping them from just making it a Psychic or Normal type? I don't think that not having more types is limiting their creativity

Maybe if they gave Poison a bunch of super high powered moves instead of adding a new type? idk I just think that adding a new type will fix anything.
__________________

SHOWDOWNGALLERYANIMEPAIR

Reply With Quote
  #60    
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:42 AM
FlameNexus's Avatar
FlameNexus
Team Nexus!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FLorida
Gender: Male
Hm, that is a possibility, but, either way, i see where you're going with this. B/W Started the route system back at Route 1, so maybe X&Y's game routes will be continued after the last route in B/W.
Reply With Quote
  #61    
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:48 AM
fffire24
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapras* View Post
I don't think they create Pokemon to fit a certain type, they might say "We need more Steel types" and create some based off of that, but I don't think they're not going to say, "Oh, we can't have this be a Pokemon because we don't have a type for it." Porygon's line would be a perfect Digital type, but in the end it's just normal. If they create a "Light type Pokemon" what's stopping them from just making it a Psychic or Normal type? I don't think that not having more types is limiting their creativity

Maybe if they gave Poison a bunch of super high powered moves instead of adding a new type? idk I just think that adding a new type will fix anything.
Here's another way to look at it. What type would you make Umbreon if the dark type never existed? What type would you make Steelix if steel never existed.
Reply With Quote
  #62    
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Guy's Avatar
Guy
just a guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffire24 View Post
Here's another way to look at it. What type would you make Umbreon if the dark type never existed? What type would you make Steelix if steel never existed.
To be fair, from that perspective, I'm not really sure we would actually have Umbreon since one could say it was practically made for the introduction of the Dark type. Where as with Steelix, they could have placed it under Rock/Ground if need be. That being said, the whole purpose of Dark and Steel being introduced back in Gen II in the first place was because the type system was off balance and it needed to be better rounded off going into another generation. Should they introduce another type, they would have to go through the type system once again and make sure it remains balanced.

I disagree with the argument that says the lack of newer types limits GameFreak's creativity when it comes to bringing in new Pokémon. You can't really say that when there's still a number of type combinations they have yet to use.
Reply With Quote
  #63    
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:27 PM
fffire24
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
To be fair, from that perspective, I'm not really sure we would actually have Umbreon since one could say it was practically made for the introduction of the Dark type. Where as with Steelix, they could have placed it under Rock/Ground if need be. That being said, the whole purpose of Dark and Steel being introduced back in Gen II in the first place was because the type system was off balance and it needed to be better rounded off going into another generation. Should they introduce another type, they would have to go through the type system once again and make sure it remains balanced.

I disagree with the argument that says the lack of newer types limits GameFreak's creativity when it comes to bringing in new Pokémon. You can't really say that when there's still a number of type combinations they have yet to use.
I never said a lack of new types limits Game Freak, but you can't argue that adding a new type doesn't open new doors for pokemon creation.

I understand the type match up problems that adding a new type brings. I'm just trying to bring a different view to the equation.
Reply With Quote
  #64    
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Guy's Avatar
Guy
just a guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fffire24 View Post
I never said a lack of new types limits Game Freak, but you can't argue that adding a new type doesn't open new doors for pokemon creation.

I understand the type match up problems that adding a new type brings. I'm just trying to bring a different view to the equation.
Yes, bringing in a new type can certainly open new doors for what sort of new Pokémon can be created. The simple idea of adding in the much popular "Light" type alone stirs up quite a few ideas in the back of my head. I was just saying that if anyone thought that GameFreak not choosing to create new types limits their creativity or withholds them from using a Pokémon they want, then I disagree. I was never specifically saying that you said said that though.
Reply With Quote
  #65    
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Miss Doronjo's Avatar
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
I guess it just kind of opens the question of how these new types eg. Light can influence the other types. What if it's a 'stand alone' type that isn't effective against any other type, or maybe more effective, or just... neutral to the others? Well, bottom line, new types can be quite interesting in practice! It's just how would they work -in- practice.
__________________

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Reply With Quote
  #66    
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Hollowed's Avatar
Hollowed
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I hope that there will be a Nature, Demonic, Technologic, or a Ancient Type in upcoming Pokemon Games
__________________
<-----Click This!
<-----Click This Too!
Reply With Quote
  #67    
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM
pikakitten's Avatar
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Termina, Clock Tower
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I don't think new types might come, the only time new ones were introduced were Dark/Steel/etc in Gen II, if there is a Light type, legendaries might be the only ones to get it xD
__________________
Credit |Kitty Pair | VM/PM | Photobucket | Theme
Reply With Quote
  #68    
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:59 PM
BlockedHeart
Pokemon Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pallet Town
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
I don't think that they will add new types, last generation was a tiny bit off competitively, and if they add new types, things might get a little more wonky. I wouldn't be opposed, however, to a few Pokemon, (Possibly Legendaries.) having 3 types this gen... but nothing that would allow them to be extremely OP, for example, Fire, Water, Grass, wouldn't work... But for Charizard, Flying, Fire, and Dragon could be useful typing.
__________________
"You can't ever win if you're always on the defensive. To win, you have to attack." - Kira
Reply With Quote
  #69    
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:46 PM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Australia
Gender: Female
Nature: Jolly
I honestly can't see new types coming right now, as since most people have had experience with Pokemon quite a bit it would be frustrating to learn the new types advantages and disadvantages, etc. weaknesses and super effectivenesses. If its only one type that would be fine but multiple of them can be tedious. However for a new type, I'd like to see some sort of 'light' type not like Electric but more like the opposite of dark.
__________________
I'm not using this account anymore! I'm now
known as Narnia. Any VMs or PMs on this account
will likely go unanswered
. :p
Reply With Quote
  #70    
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:25 AM
wygar
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
to all the ppl suggesting new types: please stop it!
i know it's nice to let our imagination work and all that (in fact, it's one of the reasons why i like pokemon so much, because there's a lot left for our own interpretation and imagination) but honestly we don't even have the entire chart explored and that same chart is already unbalanced enough as it is (i know stealth rock didn't help but it was unbalanced since the beginning).
what i would like to see is an overhaul regarding the effectiveness of at least some of the current types.

we don't need a light type to counter dark, we already have fighting for that purpose.
and light as an element is already covered more than well by fire, psychic and especially electric.
to all the other types suggested, just because you already have niche types which were a bad decision for the most part as shown by their usually "terrible" status, it doesn't mean they should aggravate the problem by intruducing more irrelevant and incoherent stuff to the games.
Reply With Quote
  #71    
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:10 AM
Platinum Lucario's Avatar
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia.
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Arcanine View Post
I honestly can't see new types coming right now, as since most people have had experience with Pokemon quite a bit it would be frustrating to learn the new types advantages and disadvantages, etc. weaknesses and super effectivenesses. If its only one type that would be fine but multiple of them can be tedious. However for a new type, I'd like to see some sort of 'light' type not like Electric but more like the opposite of dark.
I completely agree, I too... would only like to see one new type (hoping that it's Light-type).

If there was more than one new type made, then just imagine how more difficult would be to fit in the type chart to make sure there's no type combinations that has no weakness. xD

But if it is just Light-type, I'm sure it would fix the type chart so that all type combinations have a weakness and a resistance. ;)
__________________
[Platinum Lucario's Signature]
Researching the NDS ROMs...

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Reply With Quote
  #72    
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:32 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher's Avatar
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere next to your motherboard
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeightyWillBill View Post
The only reason a new type would need to be created is to give a boost to poison types who suffer severely from lack of reliable, powerful STAB since grass is the only thing weak to it. It would also be helpful if it were to be resisted by ice types who need the extra defensive help.

This is about the only way I could see them adding a new type. It's fairly balanced as it is now. As stated by many, many others above me, Dark and Steel were only introduced to bring a bit more balance to the system. Although other types would be a fun change, but it would take a very large re-working of a very familiar system. It could throw off alot of people, New Players might be able to take it with stride, but anyone that's been playing since Gen 2 would probally have alot of trouble adusting, and the thing would end up being a bunch of fan-hate even though some people would really like to see new types (Light, Digital)

I also don't see the need for a type that can directly counter dark, as Dark is already weak to Fighting, and there are some nice Fight types out there already.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73    
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:42 AM
DTep's Avatar
DTep
Arcanine4evar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
I do not want new types to be introduced, and my main reason for not wanting this is because of all the type combinations that are yet unused. Adding in all these combos with new Pokemon (a lot of them would be poison/with another type; like fire/poison or electric/poison), would still bring in new struggles and strategies to be used by those Pokemon or when you are facing them.

Here is an article showing the 44 unused combinations :http://op.kiriska.com/2010/09/pokemo...ns-yet-unused/
Reply With Quote
  #74    
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:18 AM
François's Avatar
François
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ireland
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
I actually disagree with the people saying a new type would upset the type balance - it strikes me as a far easier way to level the playing field than giving massive buffs to Poison, Ice, Grass, Bug etc etc while trying to think of some way to cut down Dragon types. However, having to change the type of truckloads of old Pokémon, introducing new moves / abilities etc etc would be quite the undertaking on GameFreak's part, not to mention something of a headache for fans.

I am against the creation of new types, primarily because all the fan ideas are either redundant (Light just seems unnecessary) or downright terrible ('Sound', the type exclusively built for Exploud!). If they manage to come up with a pokémon that doesn't fit into any of the current types (and isn't based on something manmade) then I won't be mad at GF creating a new type for them, but it's hard for me to picture one.
Reply With Quote
  #75    
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Miss Doronjo's Avatar
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
I've said this some time ago in another thread, but the Sound type can be pretty interesting to toy with. Like... take Psychic vs. Sound.

See, Psychic has to do with controlling stuff the mind. Moves like Darkness and Bug are super effective against Psychic because they "infect" the mind in some way. (well, and the whole psychic "balance" issues from Gen I) Sound can also affect the mind in numerous ways, in both good, and bad. I can see them not-effecting each other, personally, but it can work in... whatever they would decide to do, like Sound being effective against Psychic, etc, etc.

Well, that was one idea. Again, it's all in the matter of just how would they work in practice if GF decides to make new types.
__________________

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.