The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 20th, 2013 (07:48 AM).
Rewy
untitled follower

Hrrrrrrr trying to think up a team for a challenge mode use. I mean to make it challenging just to play on my own.
(the one on my sig is for black 2 once it bothers to arrive from the mail...)

I have so far planned to have everyone evolve only once.
  • Dewott (NFE)
  • Flaaffy (NFE)
  • Flareon (Stone evo... and because I've never ever used one and there's now at least three physical fire attacks to choose from)
  • Archeops
I'm debating between a Simisage (because stone evolution to pair with Flareon) or Sawsbuck (because I've been curious to use it before)...
And not sure if I have anything valid to pair for Archeops. :<

...and if anyone wonders the "theme" is furry & fluffy

I'm just about trained up enough for Roxie with a Dewott and Flaaffy. After the gym I'm planning to grab an Archeops egg from another game. I'm just trying to think up a proper spots where to train and who and when to add more members to the team. I mean I could've just draggen Archen in straight after Cheren's fight.

Am free for ideas, since no one in my few friends seems to think playing pokemon is a proper way to pass time...

Wonder Wedlocke X - Mudkip + Slowpoke | Flaffy + Flabébé | Zorua + Gible
Old January 20th, 2013 (09:14 AM).
11wildy
Me!

Nature: Lonely
Altaria always is an option, and it's definitely fluffy!
Old January 20th, 2013 (09:22 AM).
Rewy
untitled follower

Yis, incredibly fluffy but Route 14 is quite late to start training. Hmm... =/
Not impossible, but I'll consider it once I've decided with between the monkey and deer.

Old January 20th, 2013 (11:47 AM).
diamondmutt1111
A wild summer appeared!

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewy View Post
Yis, incredibly fluffy but Route 14 is quite late to start training. Hmm... =/
Not impossible, but I'll consider it once I've decided with between the monkey and deer.
Simisage is kind of good...until the last few gyms and Elite Four....while Sawsbuck has a better movepool (Horn Leech FTW) and also packs more power than a Simisage...sorry my 2nd favorite monkey...but if you WANT the challenge of Simisage being useful...then pick it! (it's also Underused compared to Sawsbuck)

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi
#swablunest/Youtube/Blogger
Old January 20th, 2013 (12:57 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
I don't think that was included in his challenge...hahaha. Trying to think of a drunk Pokemon now. Slaking comes to mind. He looks drunk. Then he's screwing around every other turn doing drunk things.
Spinda came to mind as well. Also...
Old January 20th, 2013 (01:02 PM).
Rewy
untitled follower

Well I'm already neck deep in trouble with Ice-types of Plasma and then some Rock-types.
I'm so tempted to take them both, but then I wouldn't get Flaaffy a wooly friend...
  • Simisage because of Crunch from Pansage and Acrobatics, but that Gluttony isn't really... useful.
  • Sawsbuck because those Fighting moves and I've never used one, but all those painful things from dual-typing...

Well I'll just play all the way to Nimbasa, because it's the place where I sort of need to decide on that team member.

Old January 21st, 2013 (11:11 AM).
560cool.
Probably back.

Nature: Relaxed
I have a quick question about playing a nuzlocke on Pokemon Black. How much do the new EXP mechanisms affect grinding ? I would assume it's much difficult, but does this render the game unplayable ?

I finally managed to move everything over to Black 2 and I've been thinking of resetting my first Gen V game for challenges.

Old January 21st, 2013 (11:19 AM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 560cool. View Post
I have a quick question about playing a nuzlocke on Pokemon Black. How much do the new EXP mechanisms affect grinding ? I would assume it's much difficult, but does this render the game unplayable ?

I finally managed to move everything over to Black 2 and I've been thinking of resetting my first Gen V game for challenges.
If you can find a spot to spawn Audino, it's not that bad, especially once you get the Lucky Egg. It is pretty hard to grind on normal wilds though.
Old January 21st, 2013 (11:19 AM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Nature: Timid
It doesn't make it impossible, but if you're typically overleveled, like I am, then it can be annoying when you aren't getting adequate experience from the wild Pokemon or even the trainers. I can't speak for how it works in Nuzlockes though.

If you use Audino for grinding (you can grind in Nuzlockes right?) then it shouldn't be too unbearable.
Old January 21st, 2013 (11:32 AM).
560cool.
Probably back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
It doesn't make it impossible, but if you're typically overleveled, like I am, then it can be annoying when you aren't getting adequate experience from the wild Pokemon or even the trainers. I can't speak for how it works in Nuzlockes though.

If you use Audino for grinding (you can grind in Nuzlockes right?) then it shouldn't be too unbearable.
How common are Audions anyways ? I remember having trouble finding one for normal Pokedex catching business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthebud View Post
If you can find a spot to spawn Audino, it's not that bad, especially once you get the Lucky Egg. It is pretty hard to grind on normal wilds though.
Sounds fair enough. See what I can do.

Okay, gonna catch a box of Patrats on B2 and transfer whatever's left then start the challenge. Thanks for the advice.

Old January 21st, 2013 (11:52 AM). Edited January 22nd, 2013 by Rewy.
Rewy
untitled follower

Audino's are pretty normal find on a shaking grass. Just find a spot where you can run around next to some bushes without seeing water. Just be patient and ready with the repel. (It prevents anything else to jump you when you try going to the shaky spot.)

--

Edit:
These Eevees in Castelia Garden are so trolling me... >.> "Nope, I won't stay in that ball even if I'm at 1HP and asleep. Nope."
In other curiosities. Am I just too used to over planning my team, or is Challenge Mode supposed to be Challenging? I just ran back from Driftveil after getting Surf so I can pick up few awesome early game hidden TMs... And I've been doing just fine with my team of Three (Now 4 after I caught an Eevee...)

Old January 23rd, 2013 (12:49 PM).
niallmuz
King Of Water Pokemon

i was just wondering is there a challenge is there a challenge where you can only battle each gym leader with pokemon of the same type as their gym? for example you can only play against burgh with bug type pokemon etc
Old January 23rd, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

There was something like that before, I think. idr if it was popular though.
Old January 23rd, 2013 (02:03 PM).
Wilhelm
The Lulu Fund

Yay! I finished my very first challenge! I am a bug master! Cower before my mighty insects!!!
Old January 23rd, 2013 (04:39 PM).
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
Speaking of bugs, why does Scyther only learn normal type moves by level up in Red and Blue? ):

Old January 23rd, 2013 (04:48 PM).
Wilhelm
The Lulu Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeightyWillBill View Post
Speaking of bugs, why does Scyther only learn normal type moves by level up in Red and Blue? ):
Cause GameFreak are trolls...
Old January 24th, 2013 (02:00 AM).
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
What about a challenge that involves on using pokemon related to your Zodiac sign? I have also heard that there are different zodiacs so using one pokemon from each of your zodiac.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old January 24th, 2013 (02:31 AM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryan143 View Post
What about a challenge that involves on using pokemon related to your Zodiac sign? I have also heard that there are different zodiacs so using one pokemon from each of your zodiac.
That's been suggested many time, and I think there is a thread for it.
Old January 24th, 2013 (01:18 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

There's still a thread for it? I know we've had one, but I haven't seen it in forever so I thought it died off or something. Hm.

And wasn't someone else working on that challenge anyway? They haven't posted it yet I don't think...not that I remember. So if anything, it's currently in the works.
Old January 24th, 2013 (02:13 PM).
Wilhelm
The Lulu Fund

I do remember some one working on that, yes. They discovered new Zodiacs most people don't know about so they had to add them.
Old January 24th, 2013 (04:37 PM). Edited January 25th, 2013 by Honeyman.
Honeyman

Yes, I have been working on the challenge, and it is actually finished. I posted it to the subreddit, but not here because I couldn't find the time to participate in it.

Though if someone wishes to post the topic, I can easily send you the picture.

Thanks guys, for forgetting me already.

Supporter of crappy banners
Old January 25th, 2013 (07:18 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by niallmuz View Post
i was just wondering is there a challenge is there a challenge where you can only battle each gym leader with pokemon of the same type as their gym? for example you can only play against burgh with bug type pokemon etc
Done both that challenge and one where you can only use Pokemon that are weak to the Gym type. I like this one better.
Old January 25th, 2013 (08:05 PM).
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Hey guys, I have a question for all of you. What game do you guys find better for challenges, BW or BW2? I am unsure of which one would be best, and I'm curious to see what everyone else believes. General speed in which one could complete the game, given typical end requirements of the games, is pretty important in my decision.

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old January 25th, 2013 (08:16 PM).
Wilhelm
The Lulu Fund

imo, BW2 is much superior to BW1. In addition, most challenges require you beat Alder in BW1, meaning lots of tedious grinding, but BW2 standard is the first fight against Iris.
Old January 25th, 2013 (08:19 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

BW2 has much more Pokemon and it's a more difficult game, plus challenge mode. If I had a free BW2 file, I'd be using those games more often for challenges instead of BW.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links