The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM
PokeTeckers
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Triple types would make it extremely confusing considering the fact that there is 649 pokemon plus the new pokedex that will most likely be another 120-ish pokemon.

Video Walkthroughs Link
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
i think it would be too imbalanced.. what if you're a grass/bug/ice type? And you get hit by Heat Wave? There's no way you're going to survive a 8x attack from that attack that is a 100 power.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Lockmaster24
Wise words of FizzyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy10 View Post
What about dual type moves, like Blaze Kick being fire/fighting?
And then Blaziken gets to calculate STAB twice? I don't think so. No, typing is fine as it is, any changes and I'd have to learn a new system and if there is anything I don't want to do is learn a new system on top of 100+ (My educated guess that's all) new pokemon.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM
diamondmutt1111
A wild summer appeared!

Nature: Lax
Seriously doubt it...adding Steel and Dark in Gen 2 was weird enough...plus they were added because of Psychic-types...so unless Triple-typing fixes some kind of balancing issue, Triple- typing is slightly...farfetch'd

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi
#swablunest/Youtube/Blogger
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Hikamaru
The Sea Otter Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
No. Definitely no.

Triple types would ruin competitive battling as we know it, and it could make Pokemon have 8x weaknesses which is bad.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:26 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Like I said many times before, I highly doubt triple-typed Pokémon will be introduced, since this makes the type chart more complicated.

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
No, I don't think triple types would be introduced. It does sound amazing and cool, but it'd be mindblowingly difficult to start this, as they'd have to figure out new resistances and weaknesses, plus it would confuse fans, having to learn all of the Pokemon's unique typings again, so I can't imagine this happening :<
. :p
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivysmiley View Post
Imagine the pain of fighting a water/fire/grass pokemon....
xD I can see it now...
Nah, I'm honestly not seeing triple types.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
That would be great if there was triple types instead of two. That would totally change alot of things, including how moves would be effected if it hit the Pokémon. And it would certainly fit for a Light-type to be put into older Pokémon if a Light type was introduced.

So then it would add up. If a move was super effective against all three types, it would be x8 the damage.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

No, it's a ridiculous idea - the type chart would need to be in three dimensions, turning it into a type cube. For a game intended primarily for children, the argument for triple types is just completely untenable.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Please never do this. It would totally break everything and it would literally be the hot mess that Syd mentioned on the first page. It'd take the fun out of things... 1/8 and 8x? No thanks.
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Triple types should be avoided at all costs just like DNA evolving between two Pokémon. It just becomes too complex at that point. While some Pokémon could definitely fit the criteria of having a third type, you're talking about overhauling the entire type and battle system to a point where it becomes a tad bit ridiculous just to make something as small as a Pokémon having a third type work.

It was easy to do back in the 2nd generation, because it helped round off the current type system and there were less Pokémon to work with, but now? No. It's too much if you ask me.
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Mixae
Unhatched Egg

I think 3 types is way to difficult and confusing. Do not want.

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Elite Four Lucian
Elite Four - Psychic User

Nature: Brave
Triple-types would be taboo xD It'd be very weird lol. It depends on what they'd have to do.

The Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Supporter Userbars were made by me, if you would like one to support your favorite version, gym leaders, or Elite Four member, message me and I'd be glad to make one for you.
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
I don't think it should happen because it would possibly reck up the entire battle system. There would be too many types to consider when using an attack and the attacks will start doing 8x or 0.125 damage!

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:52 PM
gunnerpow7
☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Just... no... It's too complicated tbh... :/ I'd just prefer single and dual types...

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

gunnerpow7

☆ paired with MidnightShine, Twihiki_Amias, PachyfcgPC Showdown ☆ Lady Gunner ☆ defunct account ☆
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Elite Four Lucian
Elite Four - Psychic User

Nature: Brave
I'd have to agree. Triple-types would be too complicated.

The Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Supporter Userbars were made by me, if you would like one to support your favorite version, gym leaders, or Elite Four member, message me and I'd be glad to make one for you.
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Eucliffe
E N T E R T A I N E R
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via AIM to Eucliffe Send a message via Skype™ to Eucliffe
I think dual types are good enough as is, as are single type moves. If we were to add another type, it would definitely be harder to figure out type advantages/disadvantages (especially with triple typing), not to mention it'd really throw off the balance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:13 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
God I hope not. Triple types would be a real pain for competitive battling. I pray that Gamefrekak doesn't bring triple types, I think that it would just be too much.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:48 PM
wygar
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy10 View Post
What about dual type moves, like Blaze Kick being fire/fighting?

no, just no, that would be even worse than triple types.
imagine golem being hit by a water/grass move or the already laughable magcargo by a water/ground one.
can you picture that? good, i don't think i have to say anything more.

now, regarding triple types... again, no.
even worse than making everything unnecessarily complicated is the fact that it would break the game completely.
in many cases it's already bad enough to have double weaknesses and stealth rock. i don't really see any point in upgrading an already decent but shaky chart to triple weaknesses and resistances to go with it.

also, going back to the dual type moves, i think that if GF really wanted to implement that, they had the perfect chance to do it with b/w kyurem's signature moves.
yet, they didn't and that should speak for itself.

fixing the current chart could and should, imo, be top priority, not introducing more stuff that won't help with the most prominent issues like how impractical and redundant the poison type is right now.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:31 PM
DTep
Arcanine4evar

There should be no triple types until all double typing combinations are used. I mean think about all the unused double typings that would be awesome to be incorporated that have yet to be by GameFreak: Fire/Poison, Electric/Poison, Dragon/Poison, Fire/Grass, Fire/Water, etc.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
Route 18
turn up the engine
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Route 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTep View Post
There should be no triple types until all double typing combinations are used. I mean think about all the unused double typings that would be awesome to be incorporated that have yet to be by GameFreak: Fire/Poison, Electric/Poison, Dragon/Poison, Fire/Grass, Fire/Water, etc.
lol fire/water
But I dont' support triple types. It sounds really complex calculating type advantages for triple types. The dual-type system is great, but if the guys at Game Freak are going to add anything, it'd be nice to see some extra types added into the mix.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
To me, I think dual type moves would be rather interesting in a way, since there would be the secondary type to the move which would all add up, like for instance... Blaze Kick being Fire/Fighting against a Pokémon that is Normal/Water would be 1 x 1 ÷ 2 x 2 ÷ 2 which would equal to x0.5 as the the damage result.

If they ever did introduce secondary typings to moves, then it would indeed change many things, but I don't see the secondary typing ever happening.

As for triple types to Pokémon, it would be interesting to see something like that along with the dual typing in moves, but I'm kind of thinking it would also change alot of things. At first I kind of thought it was rather interesting, while I may still be thinking that it would be interesting... there would have to be something that would have to balance it out.

What about a Hidden Type or something? Kind of similar to the Hidden Abilities in Generation V, but instead for types.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM
masterscizor
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Careful
i think that triple typing is not very practical but dual typed attacks would be interesting
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I love the idea, but on the other hand I think introducing triple-types will make it unfair on certain Pokemon: For example, what about if there was a hypothetical Fire/Bug/Flying type Pokemon, and it decides to switch in when Stealth Rock is on the field? It would lose all of its health after one switch in! :D So, I think that triple-typing isn't going to happen any time soon.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here