The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing

Notices

Fan Fiction and Writing Submit your stories and poems.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:35 PM
mewmasterify
Actual Mew

Nature: Quiet
does my fanfic have to be about Pokemon?
Old July 8th, 2012, 05:34 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmasterify View Post
does my fanfic have to be about Pokemon?
No, it does not. It can be based on another fandom, or be an original story. Just use the [Other] tag when posting the thread for the title.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:16 AM
mewmasterify
Actual Mew

Nature: Quiet
oh thank you for telling me
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:14 AM
SuperLow
Beginning Trainer

I have a question, if I am about to post a chapter with a particularly violent or sexual scene would I be allowed to give a warning and then place the chapter into a spoiler? That way people wouldn't have to read the chapter if they didn't want to read the type of content inside it.
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:47 AM
dracoflare
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLow View Post
I have a question, if I am about to post a chapter with a particularly violent or sexual scene would I be allowed to give a warning and then place the chapter into a spoiler? That way people wouldn't have to read the chapter if they didn't want to read the type of content inside it.
I am not exactly sure about this(but posting anyway, lots of time in my hands), but even if a single chapter or a single line has something that is above the current rating, then the rating of the entire fiction should be that of that single scene. At least that's what they do in movies. Even if there's only a teeny tiny bit of a matured scene the entire movie is normally considered inappropriate.
(Even if releasing one chapter with warning is allowed, I don't encourage you to do so. It can disturb your flow, unless you release an alternate version of the scenes maintaining the same flow as the original)

Anyway ignore me, Astinus/bobandbill is your man, he will tell ya what to do.

The Trip to Unova: A flying-saucer, a beast and a mad-scientist.
: PC
The Road to Nowhere: PC|FF.Net|SPPf|

If you want a storyline to your fan game whether it is a ROM Hack or using RPG Maker XP, feel free to contact me!
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
SuperLow
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoflare View Post
I am not exactly sure about this(but posting anyway, lots of time in my hands), but even if a single chapter or a single line has something that is above the current rating, then the rating of the entire fiction should be that of that single scene. At least that's what they do in movies. Even if there's only a teeny tiny bit of a matured scene the entire movie is normally considered inappropriate.
(Even if releasing one chapter with warning is allowed, I don't encourage you to do so. It can disturb your flow, unless you release an alternate version of the scenes maintaining the same flow as the original)

Anyway ignore me, Astinus/bobandbill is your man, he will tell ya what to do.
Alright cheers for your input mate.
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:28 AM
psyanic
There's Something About Lamps

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLow View Post
A warning at the beginning of the chapter would be nice, but as DracoFlare said, changing the rating of your story is even better. However, it's still good to warn readers in case they do feel uncomfortable. Also, I'm pretty sure PC doesn't allow any sort of sexual scenes, aka smut fics, so if you're planning on sexual scenes, it's best that they're implied rather than fully described. Otherwise, you could get banned. Violence is acceptable, though.

And I don't like reading anything in spoilers, but that's just my annoyance more than anything.
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:55 AM
SuperLow
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyanic View Post
A warning at the beginning of the chapter would be nice, but as DracoFlare said, changing the rating of your story is even better. However, it's still good to warn readers in case they do feel uncomfortable. Also, I'm pretty sure PC doesn't allow any sort of sexual scenes, aka smut fics, so if you're planning on sexual scenes, it's best that they're implied rather than fully described. Otherwise, you could get banned. Violence is acceptable, though.

And I don't like reading anything in spoilers, but that's just my annoyance more than anything.

It was really just an example, I am writing about a wartime Kanto and there will be violence and death throughout which the main character is pulled into. It obviously wouldn't be every chapter so I was just checking about it here.
Old September 19th, 2012, 02:04 PM
SanityStealer
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Modest
I was reading over the rules and the other questions and found nothing in regards to interactive stories, so I'd like to ask if it's okay to write and post those here? By interactive stories, I mean writing a segment (chapter), posting it with questions or whatever at the end, and having the readers make choices as to where they'd like the story to go. Essentially, I'm talking about writing the equivalent of a fanfiction 'choose-your-own-adventure' type story. Is that all right?
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Golden Pikachu
Unhatched Egg

I am 8 years old and a huge Pokemon fan. I have an idea for a new game, but I don't know where to go to get someone to make it. Can you help me?
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:50 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
You don't ask for ideas for games here as this section is for writing stories... you're better off checking the game development section. Note people there are usually working on their own projects already though.

Old March 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Rules have been updated! I removed the section about applying ratings to your story because no one does that. Just warn for anything that will bother readers.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:47 PM
ChipmunkGamingInc.
Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.

Nature: Lonely
Hi,
Is romance allowed at all? I'm just wonderin' aloud.

*~Maelstrom~*

Join the Poké Dance Party! Gen II at it's best!
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:59 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Yes, it certainly is. All it needs is a warning at the start of the thread if stuff gets too steamy, so to speak. ;p

Old August 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM
ChipmunkGamingInc.
Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.

Nature: Lonely
Okay, thanks! I'm kinda new to this, and the last forum I was on were really strict about fanfiction...

Join the Poké Dance Party! Gen II at it's best!
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Incinermyn
Oh, posh!

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Rules have been updated! I removed the section about applying ratings to your story because no one does that. Just warn for anything that will bother readers.
I personally do apply ratings on other sites where I've posted my fanfics, namely as a precaution so that people are aware that they're not meant for little kids (I write PG-13 range stories). Would it be a problem if I do that here, or should I just include a brief memo (rather than a thing labeled "rating") in an introductory section I have written out before the prologue to make people aware that there are some scenes that may come across as slightly graphic (not over the top graphic, but described in a way that's meant to leave an impact)?
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Slayr231
Aspiring Writer, or something

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunter View Post
I personally do apply ratings on other sites where I've posted my fanfics, namely as a precaution so that people are aware that they're not meant for little kids (I write PG-13 range stories). Would it be a problem if I do that here, or should I just include a brief memo (rather than a thing labeled "rating") in an introductory section I have written out before the prologue to make people aware that there are some scenes that may come across as slightly graphic (not over the top graphic, but described in a way that's meant to leave an impact)?
Adding a rating is fine. A lot of people weren't following this rule, so instead of closing a bunch of threads, the moderators just decided to change the rule to include warnings. Maybe include both a rating and a memo? We have a few mature stories on here as well, so you're fine.
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Slayr's right. It was easier to just take away the rule rather than demanding that people rate their stories. (I don't even rate my own.) You can still rate and warn in any way that you wish to help readers avoid any problems they might have with some scenes in your story.
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:29 AM
Incinermyn
Oh, posh!

Alright then. Thanks for the input. I was just confused since some sites require distinct ratings, while on others it just didn't matter.

Additionally, I should ask if curse words are allowed in fiction here. I don't go overboard with swearing in my stories, but I do include some profanity. Should I edit it out, or just censor it with asterisks or something? (Sorry if I'm sounding cautious, I just don't want to get in trouble for posting something that isn't allowed...)
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:52 PM
Slayr231
Aspiring Writer, or something

As long as you include a warning, you should be fine. Unless it goes overboard, then you should edit it out. It might be hard to define what "overboard" is, but it's easy to notice. Don't worry, you're fine with the questions. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
Incinermyn
Oh, posh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
As long as you include a warning, you should be fine. Unless it goes overboard, then you should edit it out. It might be hard to define what "overboard" is, but it's easy to notice. Don't worry, you're fine with the questions. Better to be safe than sorry.
Overboard to me is constant swearing predominantly with a lot of strong swears. I try to keep them to a minimum, but they still do get used.
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:42 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

PC will pick up most swear words with our own filter unless you do the tag work to uncensor them.It's fine to have swear words in this section, but some people will be put off if every other word is interrupted with four asterisks.

If kept at a minimum, then you'll be fine, Skunter. Having swears in your writing is okay, especially if you want to be true to your characters.
Old October 13th, 2013, 02:55 PM
WhiteKnightL

Question.

I want to make a poem collection thread. The person who wrote them has passed on and thus she can't say if she approves of me posting her poems here. She was a girlfriend of mine so I'm wondering if me posting her poems here would count as plagiarizing? I wanna post everything she wrote so everyone could gaze at her works.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

So long as you say that they're not poems you wrote and that you're posting them here because you want to share them, it's fine with me.
Old October 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM
markosharko98
The name is enough..

Nature: Gentle
I have a question.I'm not getting new ideas for my current fanfic so is it alright to start another one while continuing the previous one too?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links