The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:08 AM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty

Advertise here
I feel that it might be possible, though I highly doubt it would happen, if it does it won't be with you since you choose what you say, hence the silent protagonist theme xD
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Breyyne
Unhatched Egg

I am two sided on the voice acting debate.
First, I agree with those that say it would be an expensive addition in both money and cartridge space.
But on the other hand, I would be happy with just the Pokémon voices from the anime were voiced and only in the pokédex. It has bothered for the longest time that the sounds aren't even close to the anime and the text 'spoken' by in game Pokémon seem to picked at random. I want to at least read a pikachu saying "pika~pika".
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:30 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
Voice acting is cool, but I don't like it in Pokemon. I hope that there is not voice acting in the game it would be different. For games like Pokemon, Mario and LoZ; I don't wnat voice acting.
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Victini

I would definitely prefer for there to not be any voice acting. ;w;
I prefer having a silent protagonist, and the ability to come up with your own "voice head-canons" for every character.

It adds to the experience and the creativity aspect for me. <3 And considering this is an international release, it'd be highly impressive for them to gather voice actors for every language and every character, and complete the acting itself on all of the games, in a matter of 8 months. .w.;
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
No, I prefer having silent protagonists cos it helps give you thoughts on what you're doing, and also given the release they won't be able to hire different-language voices in time.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:43 PM
sρεcтяα
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to sρεcтяα
I'd prefer it if they didn't toy around with voice acting, because in my experience, it never ends well. I mean, look at what happened to Metroid when it was given voice acting: we got Other M. Sonic has never been the same since he was given that thoroughly aggravating voice of his. I'd rather not see that happen to Pokemon as well...I'd like to see Pokemon say their names, rather than a random cry, but that's the extent of it.

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:54 PM
The_Mew

No, voice action isn't something Pokémon. However, hearing your rival scream at you would be fun :D
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:00 PM
MichaelSK16
Pokemon Connoisseur

Nature: Mild
I'd rather they just keep the games "silent." Too many possible issues with voicing. I think the biggest thing is the fact that it is a handheld, as has been mentioned previously. A lot of people won't be in a position to be playing with the volume up. What's the point of dialogue that can't be heard?

I did, however, take interest in the idea of adding background sounds/noises or maybe emotions to trainers. That could work, but would need some visual assistance. For example, after you were to defeat a trainer, have them make some type of displeased grunt or sigh and have them show some kind of facial expression that shows disappointment. That's what they should focus on with the new games. With the 3D world, it's better they focus on the visual improvements than the audio improvements.

- Bill Cosby
Old January 21st, 2013, 01:21 AM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
With the amount of localization that would have to be done, and the amount of file space used vs. simple text, I would have to say I'd rather keep it the way it is. This would be the same for Pokemon cries, too, as 700+ Pokemon cries in 6 different languages is a lot more resource heavy than what we've been used to in the past.

For a spin-off game (either on a console like the Wii U or the 3DS) it could make for an interesting addition, but as for X and Y, I'm of the belief that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:20 AM
Urugamosu
Smiles are free, you know~
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Hmm, I think they only voice acting that would be great for Pokémon would be the Pokémon cries.

Adventures, are sometimes even the simplest things.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:17 PM
Darkroman

Nature: Adamant
The only kind of voice acting I want to see in a pokemon game EVER would be some of the NPCs, but that's just about it. I'm great with the pokemon cries, however some of the older gen could use some more updated cries because, well, the old 8-bit square wave or sine wave cries are a bit dated.

I don't want to go around hearing the pokemon shout their names all the time, it's one of my cons about the anime itself.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:22 PM
Whistler
Questioner

It would take a TON of voices for all those trainers you meet. Too much money for Nintendo.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:40 PM
jfuze174
Elite Trainer Joey

Nature: Calm
I would only like this if was in a console game and it would have a name lists like in the 2k sports franchise so that npc could say your name
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

It would work far better on a console game like Pokemon Colosseum or XD. Even then possibly only have voices for main characters and only during major cutscenes like right before a boss battle or something. That said, cutscenes in general would be about the only time I wouldn't mind hearing voices, especially if they make them animated. But what are the chances of that happening right?
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:56 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Idk, I think voice acting would still be weird in cutscenes. It just isn't something Pokémon does much. I know Pokémon Puzzle League had it, but it's not a main series thing.
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Brittani
Pokefan for life!! (:

Hmm...I think that would be a little interesting but could get annoying after awhile. Firstly, the voices would have to fit the character's personality. Second, there should be an option to disable the voice acting for people who aren't in favor of the idea. Personally, I'd prefer the voice acting to only be enabled during cut scenes.

"Peace under an illusion is not true peace. It's only meaningful if the real world manages to accomplish it." - Gaara ♥

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
voice acting really seems like something any 3D adventure game needs. i wouldn't mind the rival and professor talking a little. not the whole time with every character but kind of like the professor layton games and mega man legends. but NOT like the new fire emblem! the whole "huh" what" yeah" on every line is really annoying.

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
This has always been something of an afterthought for me, but the only ones who I'd actually like to hear have their own VA's are the Pokémon themselves. Going beyond that, I just think it would feel weird. And while VA's work well on other types of games, I personally don't think Pokémon titles like X and Y necessarily need it. Having said that, I could see it working for future console Pokémon games a la XD and Colosseum.

I much prefer the silent playthrough though, because it allows your imagination to run free and just imagine what the characters may sound like in your head.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Dullstar

In most cases, voice acting seems to be done awkwardly.

A few games do it well (Portal/Portal 2 come to mind), but I've also seen several where the voice acting makes the characters sound... well, they don't sound genuine, they actually SOUND like bad acting, as opposed to like the character is actually talking to you.

Last edited by Dullstar; January 24th, 2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM
James_Terrano
Unhatched Egg

I don't know how the human NPCs, but I would be happy if Pokemon had voices like in the anime (or at least better sounds). I hate those awful creaking and squeaking sounds from GBC, GBA and NDS! :cer_pissed:

Well, now only about 9 posts and I can start a topic with my RMXP Pokémon game. When I trying to add screenshot there, it showed something about the URL and 15 posts...
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:59 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Most of the Pokemon Voices in the anime are lazy and half-hearted. In Japan, the voice actors really get into their characters and ACT. Even though each Pokemon only has 3 or 4 syllables to work with, the Japanese voices are consistently good.

I like the Battle Cries as they are. They sound like animals.

Pokemon should learn how to add Strong Narratives and Compelling Characters to the game before wasting money on voice actors. Pokemon has never had those in game, anime, or movie.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I hope not! I rarely like voice acting and was surprised when I actually enjoyed the voices in Kid Icarus Uprising. I don't think we are ever getting Pokemon voice acting, because we are supposed to be controlling what our players are thinking and what their personalities are mostly like since they're pretty mysterious (like Link). Having voice acting would be basically forcing a very specific character on to us (which works for some games like Kid Icarus, you're playing as Pit).

Voice acting is generally more annoying on a non-handheld game because then my entire family gets to hear it (lol), but I really hope that we don't get it on this game.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:14 PM
awolfsquared
I like to do 'Garfield Mondays'
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I can't see it happening. Voice acting in most games, especially for handheld games, doesn't work out too well. Plus with game like Pokemon, (and Legend of Zelda) that's has had silent characters for the entire series , it would for feel too weird. The protagonist is supposed to be you and you're the one experiencing being a trainer so you should be the one to give voices to NPCs/ characters and such. Also it would be too difficult and too expensive to hire voice actors for all the languages the games are gonna be released for and there's not enough time. As for Pokemon having voices, I much prefer cries. Some of the voices given to Pokemon in the anime dub are awful and don't really fit the Pokemon themselves.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

I've been thinking about how cool it would be to have voice acting in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, but limited to only the cutscenes. Something that would be highly unlikely, but still something I would really like to see in a Pokémon game, as it makes it much more closer to the anime in a way.

Probably something that a Spin-off title would do, but I can't guarantee that the main games would have something like that, knowing every generation of the main series has only had walls of text and nothing else, but I would like to see some more emotions in the characters on their faces, rather than displaying a sign with it, similar to how Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity was like.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Arco!
Experienced Arcanine Trainer

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Arco!
I don't think there will be any voice acting in X and Y. I think there is more chance of them adding in the Pokemon cries from the anime. I think this is also very unlikely, although they could have an option in game to switch between the cries from the previous games and the anime ones. Who knows we may get voice acting in the games eventually in the future but I don't think it will be anytime soon

Sponsored Links

Advertise here