The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I'm with you on that. They're definitely more into the dramas and the like... always have been.
And, you know, that's fine. There are the Saturn Awards. Or Nebula Awards. Or whatever they're called for genre movies. It would just be nice to have more cross-genre exposure.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I'm just happy that there's a foreign film finally nominated for Best Picture with the expanded balloting system. The last time a wholly foreign film got nominated in such a way was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which I like... but it's not a patch on Amour.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
And, you know, that's fine. There are the Saturn Awards. Or Nebula Awards. Or whatever they're called for genre movies. It would just be nice to have more cross-genre exposure.
Well, yes, that is understandable, but they don't have nearly the prestige as the Academy Awards. :\
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
Antemortem
stealing away sins

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Speaking of low budget/foreign films, has anyone seen Another Earth, the movie that premiered at Sundance in 2011? I've seen less than twenty minutes of it and I CANNOT SEEM to catch it on television anymore. I've considered looking it up online, but laziness always prevents me from doing so, but I'm super interested in it.
Quote:
Rhoda Williams (Brit Marling) is a brilliant 17 year-old who has spent her young life trained on the stars, and recently learned she was accepted to MIT. In a reckless celebratory moment, she drinks with friends and drives home intoxicated. Listening to a story on the radio about a planet that looks just like Earth, she gazes out her car window at the stars and inadvertently hits a stopped car at an intersection, putting John Burroughs (William Mapother) in a coma and killing his wife and son.
It seems quite the film, though some third party comments on it would be appreciated!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:30 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I'm not too keen on the Oscar's really, it's just a bunch of hoity-toity old men and women deciding that something is good when it's really rather garbage. Good films do make it on the list, but really when the Hobbit doesn't make Best Picture when it has double the room, something's terribly wrong.
The Hobbit didn't make it because it wasn't that great of a movie. A movie should be nominated based on its merits, not just because it's attached to the Lord of the Rings franchise, and to be honest The Hobbit didn't have that many.

The second half of the film was good, but the first half moved so slowly and was so bogged down that I wondered whether I'd make it out of the cinema alive. It was utterly boring.

It just wasn't a great movie. Certainly not Oscar-worthy by any stretch of the imagination lol

EDIT: Also, every single dwarf character in that entire movie was annoying to the point of distraction. I guess that's the book's fault moreso than the movie adaptation, but it doesn't help things. I hear some of them die in the next two movies and I'm looking forward to that so much. Maybe those movies can be nominated for Best Picture!

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Last edited by Sodom; January 22nd, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Esper

The first part of that movie had more padding than a wonder bra.

I liked it, but I would have liked it more if it had been one Hobbit movie. It would have been better for everyone if it had. Well, almost everyone. I'm sure the studio execs are pleased as punch to have a new fantasy trilogy.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Livewire
League Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
I liked The Hobbit, despite the fact that I had to see it in IMAX 3D with my younger cousins. They fleshed out much more of the backstory than they did for LOTR, so it's easier to grasp if you haven't read the book.
ORAS Release Staff Collab 2014
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Doppelgänger
everyones got a dark side
Community Supporter

I saw The Hobbit twice. Its a pretty good film, a bit too long though in my opinion. It was easy enough to understand though, and I haven't read the books or even seen the LOTR movies yet.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Anybody looking forward to Warm Bodies? It's about a guy and a girl, but the guy is a zombie. LOL It looks really interesting and sweet in a zombie kind of way!

And about the Hobbit, I'm glad that they split it up for three movies... if Lord of the Rings had been split to six it would have been insane, but with the Hobbit we're not missing ANYTHING!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Livewire
League Champion

I think Warm Bodies will be the next Zombieland or Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. Similar demographics, and I think it could be a surprise hit. Nicholas Hoult is an up-and-coming actor who's quite talented.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:28 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I've seen the Hobbit twice so far with every intention to see it again, I thought it was soooo good haha. I haven't seen the LotR trilogy to compare it to though, so perhaps that's the difference. :p
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I think Warm Bodies will be the next Zombieland or Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. Similar demographics, and I think it could be a surprise hit. Nicholas Hoult is an up-and-coming actor who's quite talented.
The concept is just weird enough to work, but not so weird that it weirds people out. It's kind of like Twilight with zombies, but with enough self-awareness to know it's a silly concept.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 24th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

Warm Bodies looks alright, not something I would rush out to go see though. I'm sick of those zombie movies to be honest. It's just so played out imo.

I just want to see The Great Gatsby! :D
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
I just want to see The Great Gatsby! :D
That's certainly going to be a pretty movie. Every Baz Luhrmann film I've seen (all of them except Australia) has been good despite being something I wasn't initially interested in seeing. And since I'm not especially looking forward to The Great Gatsby I'm expecting it to be really good.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

I'm hoping its good because I actually read the book and I loved it. In most cases movies that are based on books suck imo, so im hoping this won't be the case!
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Antemortem
stealing away sins

The Great Gatsby! I wish it hadn't been postponed to summer from December, because I was truly looking forward to it. I thought Toby Maguire had retired his film career, as I haven't seen him in anything recently except the terrible Spiderman films. He should be pretty decent in Gatsby, and Leonardo DiCaprio will be fantastic, I'm sure. Pretty excited, despite having not read the book.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Livewire
League Champion

iirc they moved it because the winter movie season was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay stacked to begin with.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Antemortem
stealing away sins

It probably would have lost out to most of the other releases anyway, but summer is no better a time for its release, honestly.
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
The big blockbusters get released in Summer. The movies that earn the most money traditionally get released in Summer. Gatsby is a ridonkulously expensive movie and needs to recoup its cost somehow. That's why it got moved to Summer.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Is it bad that I don't know anything about the Gatsby thing? :(
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
Is it bad that I don't know anything about the Gatsby thing? :(
No. I don't know anything about the story either, despite it being "the great American novel." I'm not a fan of the 20s or stuff to do with that time.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

I like films that take place in the past, especially around the 20's-70's. I find films set in the past to be more enjoyable and interesting. I'm probably the only one though xD
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Antemortem
stealing away sins

Speaking of in the past, I want to see Gangster Squad, especially since it features Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, one hell of a pair.
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
I like films that take place in the past, especially around the 20's-70's. I find films set in the past to be more enjoyable and interesting. I'm probably the only one though xD
I agree with you there, but I have no idea why! Films set in the past are always so much more alluring, but I can't think of any reason for this other than it's interesting to see the designs/styles/mannerisms back then, but that definitely isn't enough to cover for the stories so that's quite an interesting question, I wonder why they are so much more alluring?
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Antemortem
stealing away sins

The Screen Actor Guild Awards are on! I can say I'm a little surprised Tommy Lee Jones won Best Male Actor in a Supporting Role. More Robert de Niro, please! ): I guess Hathaway wasn't satisfied with just a Golden Globe for her performance in Les Miserables.

We'll see how the evening plays out.

Last edited by Antemortem; January 27th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links