• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Why There Will Never Be A 'Light Type'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
I was once a Light-type desirer too, like many Pokémon fans out there. Having looked into the origins of the Psychic-, Fighting-, and Dark-types however, I have come to believe that there will never be a 'Light-type'; and that there really shouldn't be one.

First off, we must begin with the addition of the Dark-type in Generation II. It is effectively known that it was done specifically as a foil to the Psychic- and Ghost-types, which had been virtually invincible in Generation I.

However, many have since complained that Dark-types need a Light-type to balance the situation, along with Psychic (which, in most logic, would be effective against 'Light'). I once shared this view. Indeed, the Psychic-Dark relationship can appear rather one-sided and polarized; if one doesn't think of the third type which completes the triad. Fighting-type.

In its original Japanese, the type which is given as 'Fighting' in English (and most translations) is 格闘 (かくとう) (kakutō): which can be translated as approximately 'to fight', 'to grapple', 'to battle'. Thus, 'Fighting' is a fair translation; but how does that make it appropriate as the third member of the Psychic-Dark type trio I hear you ask? I'm getting to it.

In Japan, there is a very long, ancient history of samurai, the warrior class of feudal Japan. The martial arts of Japan, as well as war, battle, and fighting in general are typically associated with samurai; as are honor, nobility, chivalry, and righteous. Understanding where I'm going yet? If not, don't worry, I'll explain further.

In some sense, the Fighting-type can be considered a sort of 'Hero-type'.

The Dark-type, in Japan, is called 悪 (あく) (aku): meaning literally 'evil' or 'wicked'. The Dark-type, therefore, could be dubbed a sort of 'Villain-type'. Get it yet?

The Psychic-type is a sort of mind-over-matter, magical, almost wizard-like type; the Fighting-type is a straight battling, martial-arts-wielding, hero-like type; the Dark-type is a brutal, unforgiving, shadowy, malicious, villain-like type. Psychic trumps Fighting because it's brain-over-brawn; Fighting trumps Dark because it's good beating evil; Dark trumps Psychic because it's underhanded tactics and chaos doing a number on restricted, calculated logic and reason. Dark beats Psychic almost the way that the Joker can outwit Batman in most cases, to use a non-Pokémon analogy: the Joker is ruthless, reckless, and completely insane, and thus, calm, calculating, intellectual Batman is unable to predict his moves. But Batman is also a bit of a powerhouse fighter, and so even though he can seldom predict the Joker's underhanded and vicious attacks, good wins against evil, and virtue triumphs over wickedness, etc., etc...

So, in short, there will never be a Light-type. Because there already is one. We just happen to call it the Fighting-type.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Oh my goodness.

This...

This is pure genius, good sir.
Though I still think Physic not even affecting Dark is still conversational in the Physic-Dark-Fighting complex, it looks as if you did your research, and it all adds up.

...I have nothing else I can really say; great job on figuring this out!

Whistler

Questioner
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2014
If there were light types, I think they'd be strong against dark, bug, and flying types, but maybe weak against ground, rock, and grass types. ;)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I can be thankful that I seem no longer to be the only person who realises this.
This will be good to link to when the topic is inevitably brought up again... maybe it should be added to a trivia sticky somewhere?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
This guy... is absoulutely right. You deserve a 'like' and a sticky. I never liked the idea of Light types after all.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
Hmm...that's interesting. I've never thought of it that way at all. Nice job, this deserves a like. ;)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 5, 2021
And what about Bug types? They beat both Psychic and Dark.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
If there was a Light-type, what kind of Pokémon would that type represent...angels or fairies or what? I could see it being a nice secondary type to Cleffa's evolutionary line or other benevolent ones. Light would probably be the only type to be super effective and weak against Dark. Not only Dark, but Light could also beat Psychic and Ghosts types too. These are all typical strengths and weaknesses in real life.

Years
AAARRGGGGHH (╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

Sorry, I was carried away, very interesting. Never thought of it before.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
What annoyed me the most is that the title Black and White just screams "Light type." But Game Freak didn't announce it. Black and White is a misleading title IMO.

I still consider it a theory even though I do agree that there won't be Light type. If there is gonna be one, I can imagine it being super effective against Ghost and Dark types which completely eliminates "no weakness," but doesn't deal as much damage as Fire, and Dragon type. It can resist Psychic, Fighting, and Bug types, and become immune to Ghost types, but is weak to Dark type moves.

Other than that, Game Freak shouldn't have bothered naming 5th Generation main stream games "Black and White" in a first place. That's my main gripe about the decision making in 5th Generation.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
You sir deserve a round of applause. I never really liked the idea of a light type anyways. I think the typing right now is just good as it is. Balanced all the way.

Except for Dark/ghost type.

Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
This blew my mind when I first read this. I had to read it again to see if I was reading the right thing. It all makes sense now, and I was one of the people that used to argue that there should be a light type lol.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
*Slow clap*

Bravo sir. You've completely sold me on this concept, and also managed to make fighting types even more awesome. Bravo.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Thank you for giving this explanation, it makes a lot of sense. And also just makes all 3 types all the more awesome.

Years
I'm honestly just rooting for a light type because it sounds like something I could add to my Sun team :P

Although Solar beam and flash cannon would be annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back