The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Heartouch
Look up to the stars.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
I assume you say one of the same Pokemon use the supplements, and the other one don't.
The supplement-user Pokemon is far more stronger and have better stats than the one without supplements if both of them are leveled up via Rare Candies. However, if both of them are using Exp. Shares, I think they will be considered fighting as well even though they didn't join the battle (since Exp Share not only distributes Experience points, the Effort values are distributed too), so they might be equally strong with the supplemented one is already strong before the non-supplemented one.
PC Family | PC Blog | EGC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr

Last edited by Heartouch; January 17th, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Breyyne
Unhatched Egg

So absolutely no difference in the long run after long days walking the tall grass.

Can you point me to a good guide for training/raising then?
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:05 AM
dabidpelix
Unhatched Egg

hey guys, I know this was probably asked a million times in this forum but ive been searching and searching and i couldnt find the answer. are traded pokemon weaker than caught pokemon?
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:14 AM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
Like in-game trades or what? Generally, no. They're pretty much the same. I mean, it depends on natures and IVs and such, but I mean, they're still the run of the mill Pokemon that you would likely just catch in the wild.

If you mean traded Pokemon from a friend though, that's a different topic.

Traded Pokemon grow faster than Pokemon you've caught yourself, I should also mention.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:33 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I'll just add to what Syd said. If it is an in-game trade Pokémon, they have set IVs, which are generally rather high (though never perfect).
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:17 PM
dabidpelix
Unhatched Egg

Pokemon received from global trades
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:27 PM
Jak
baby smod

Depends on level, nature, stats, etc like any Pokemon would depend on. However, Pokemon from a GTS trade are likely to be hacked. If you plan on sticking around this site and you like to trade, using the Trade Corner is a good option. There are a lot of reputable trade shops, like A Minuit (shameless advertising, as that's my shop lol), that can get you what you need and they're not hacks. ~RNC~ is a good trader too.

In terms of strength though, there are a lot of variables to determine that, but in general, traded Pokemon can be just as good as something you catch or hatch yourself.

Old January 26th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Keyaki

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Keyaki
Quick question on EV training.

I'm currently EV training a Gastly and it just battled a Litwick and it grew 9 levels in that one battle. So would I count the Sp Attack EV point 9 times or just once?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:19 PM
RenegadeShroom
Unhatched Egg

You just count it once. How many experience points you gain or how many levels you gain from a battle doesn't factor into how many EVs are gained, so long as the Pokemon you want to EV train participates in the battle or is holding an Exp. Share.
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabidpelix View Post
hey guys, I know this was probably asked a million times in this forum but ive been searching and searching and i couldnt find the answer. are traded pokemon weaker than caught pokemon?
Ok, here's the definitive answer.

As you may know, traded Pokémon gain experience faster than other Pokémon. However, (I think) they don't gain more EVs from beating other Pokémon. This means it takes longer for them to reach the EV cap and therefore they can be higher-leveled yet have poor stats because of not enough EVs.

Ultimately, though, they'll reach the EV cap and become as powerful as any other Pokémon. So they're not "weaker".

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Jak
baby smod

Quote:
As you may know, traded Pokémon gain experience faster than other Pokémon. However, (I think) they don't gain more EVs from beating other Pokémon. This means it takes longer for them to reach the EV cap and therefore they can be higher-leveled yet have poor stats because of not enough EVs.
Where did you read that?

Anyway, since he was asking about global trades and not in-game, I can tell you right now that that's not true, otherwise Trade Corner would suck. I'd be doing RNG requests for no reason, cause people go and EV train the Pokemon I trade them. So yes, global trade Pokemon can still gain EVs as long as there's room for them. I imagine in-game trades would be the same. idk where you read that they don't get EVs. That doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm really hoping your info on that is wrong, because that would really suck. I use the in-game trade Petilil in Black and Black 2 a lot, so lol.

Old January 27th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Sven

Nature: Relaxed
Hi, so, I am about to start playing Pokemon again, however I am not sure in which order.

I have played only Emerald and Sapphire, and I believe Leaf green too.

I was thinking about playing it from the old generations to the new ones.
So should I, for example, play Pokemon red/blue and then Yellow, or immediately skip to Yellow? The same goes for other gens, should I play silver or gold and then crystal or crystal immediately? (that goes for RS and Emerald too, and PD and Platinum)

Another question, should I play Fire red/Leaf Green? If I am right, plots are pretty similar..ish? xD
I mean, would the stuff that is the same make me stop playing or that better graphic and all other...differences(?) will make me keep playing?
I know questions are rather subjective then objective, but still, I wanna know others opinion. :D

So I guess my main question is, which games, and in which order should I play.
All opinions are suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Also, not sure if I have put the thread in the right place, let me know.
:D
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
To answer your question, Red/Blue/Green are almost the same, you know that. The difference between Red/Blue/Green and Yellow is that in Yellow you have Pikachu as a starter and have the chance to capture Red's original team in Gold/Silver/Crystal and Heart Gold and Soul Silver. (Red's the final boss in those games.)

Look, here are all the main games in order:

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green,Pokemon Yellow, then there's Gold/Silver, Crystal (Not sure if Crystal was released with Gold and Silver...) next is Ruby and Sapphire then there's Fire Red and Leaf Green remake of PKMN Red and Green, Emerald remake of Ruby and Sapphire but different events, Diamond and Pearl, Platinum remake of Diamond and Pearl but with different events just like Emerald, Heart Gold and Soul Silver remake of Gold/Silver and Crystal, Black and White and finally Black and White 2! (Next is PKMN X and Y, coming soon!)

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Where did you read that?

Anyway, since he was asking about global trades and not in-game, I can tell you right now that that's not true, otherwise Trade Corner would suck. I'd be doing RNG requests for no reason, cause people go and EV train the Pokemon I trade them. So yes, global trade Pokemon can still gain EVs as long as there's room for them. I imagine in-game trades would be the same. idk where you read that they don't get EVs. That doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm really hoping your info on that is wrong, because that would really suck. I use the in-game trade Petilil in Black and Black 2 a lot, so lol.
You misread his post Syddy. He's sayin that the traded Pokemon doesn't gain more EVs than normal Pokemon. Either way in-game or global, chances that they aren't EV trained is high. If yiu recieve them at a high level, yes they'll appear weaker only because they have not been trained. Though, no it is not harder to EV train a trade Pokemon.
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Sven

So if I play Pokemon Yellow, there is no need to play re,blue,green, maybe even leaf green and fire red? And if I play, lets say Crystal, there is no need to play Silver soul, silver, gold, and heart gold? I would like to play for example Crystal and soulsilver cos of different graphics (I love both new and old look) but I am not really happy with the fact those five games are the same

Also, I need another advice. I heard that once batter in Pokemon y/r/b/g/s/g and crystal dies, you can't save any more. So my question is, if it dies, it means I will lose my save, but what if I change the battery? Will I get my save back or I have to play all over again? How can I prevent this from happening?

Can i lose the save from any other game this way, or all the games later can not lose the save?
Thanks

Last edited by Sven; January 27th, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Jak
baby smod

Quote:
You misread his post Syddy. He's sayin that the traded Pokemon doesn't gain more EVs than normal Pokemon. Either way in-game or global, chances that they aren't EV trained is high. If yiu recieve them at a high level, yes they'll appear weaker only because they have not been trained. Though, no it is not harder to EV train a trade Pokemon.
Okay good, I'm glad because I was like "whoa, never heard that before!" Haha.

Quote:
So if I play Pokemon Yellow, there is no need to play re,blue,green, maybe even leaf green and fire red? And if I play, lets say Crystal, there is no need to play Silver soul, silver, gold, and heart gold? I would like to play for example Crystal and soulsilver cos of different graphics (I love both new and old look) but I am not really happy with the fact those five games are the same

Also, I need another advice. I heard that once batter in Pokemon y/r/b/g/s/g and crystal dies, you can't save any more. So my question is, if it dies, it means I will lose my save, but what if I change the battery? Will I get my save back or I have to play all over again? How can I prevent this from happening?

Can i lose the save from any other game this way, or all the games later can not lose the save?
Thanks
Personally, I think that GSC and HGSS are similar, but still have enough differences to make them different enough that I'd recommend both Crystal and SoulSilver. You should play both! Maybe not at the same time or right after one another, but if you like new and old, you should give them both a play. I think you'd enjoy them both.

With FRLG and RBY though, there isn't as much different as there is with GSC and HGSS. I personally prefer RBY, but I know many prefer FRLG so I don't really know if I could recommend one over the other. You could do like what I recommended with Crystal and SoulSilver, just play Yellow and then later play FireRed or LeafGreen, just not consecutively or at the same time. Yellow is a bit more different that FRLG of course, so you'll find more differences between them than Red/Blue and FRLG. So in this case, I'd recommend Yellow and then follow up with FR or LG. But probably not RB.

As for batteries, yes those old batteries die and you will lose your save. You can replace the battery, however when you do, you'll lose that save. :( Either way, you're gonna lose the save. If you have a way to trade your Pokemon to one game, that'd be great. You could trade your Pokemon to one game, replace the battery, and trade those Pokemon back to that game and, if you'd like, replace the battery of the game you just traded them from. Hopefully that makes sense.

Old January 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Sven

Thanks. Then does this sound good? Pokemon yellow, Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon Fire red, Pokemon Soulsilver, Pokemon Emerald(I already played both emerald and sapphire, should I just skip it? I am afraid I will constantly have that "ugh when will this finish so I can move on to something I never play" feeling, yep, another subjective question) Then pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Black etc. I will have plenty of time to decide what next, since I am a slow kind of player, I don't like to rush, I like to enjoy the game as much as possible.
Good idea? Yes, no? huh?

Although, this battery thing bothers me a lot. Basically these games are old, chances I will be able to play through the whole game without losing the save are not as big as I'd want them to be, and I dont know how to change them (even better, how to change them without breaking the game). Speaking of, which games have these problems? Pokemon red,blue,green,yellow,silver,gold...any others?

And the last thing, may I make a thread somewhere on this forum about buying games? I am trying to get them cheap, so may I ask it on here, or it's against the rules?

Old January 28th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Crystal is largely different from HGSS because of the game mechanics. Playing both is interesting to know the differences. I played a lot of Gold in the past (my save had 999+ hours before the battery ran dry) and I was mindblown by HeartGold, but if you want to get a 2nd gen game, get Crystal, because it has more features and doesn't lose a whole lot in terms of Pokémon.

I played Yellow and didn't like it, I liked the new sprites but I thought Red and Blue were superior games.

The battery is a problem in all pre-DS games. However, there are differences. In RBYGSC, you lose the whole save. In RSE, you only lose the internal clock of the game, which means no time-based events occur (Berry growing, Eevee evolving into Espeon/Umbreon), but the save is still intact.

Listen to Sydian, she knows her stuff.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Cerberus87; January 28th, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Jak
baby smod

Quote:
Thanks. Then does this sound good? Pokemon yellow, Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon Fire red, Pokemon Soulsilver, Pokemon Emerald(I already played both emerald and sapphire, should I just skip it? I am afraid I will constantly have that "ugh when will this finish so I can move on to something I never play" feeling, yep, another subjective question) Then pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Black etc. I will have plenty of time to decide what next, since I am a slow kind of player, I don't like to rush, I like to enjoy the game as much as possible.
Good idea? Yes, no? huh?
I might do Emerald before FireRed or after FireRed, just to put something different between them. Remember, FR and SS both have Kanto, as well as Yellow and Crystal. I recommend Emerald though, really. I guess I'm a bit biased because it's my favorite game in the series, but it's really good and I recommend it over RS, especially if it's been a long time since you've played those two.

Personally though, I'd play in order of release. So Yellow, Crystal, FireRed, Emerald (or Emerald before FR since you'll be sick of Kanto by that point I think), Platinum, SoulSilver, then Black. That's just how I'd do it, anyway.

Quote:
And the last thing, may I make a thread somewhere on this forum about buying games? I am trying to get them cheap, so may I ask it on here, or it's against the rules?
Yeah, that's against the rules I'm afraid. ;( If you have a local game store, that would be your best bet. Buying games online, especially GBA games, is really sketchy and they're often fake, and it's not worth it. Or if you know anyone like a friend or someone that's willing to sell their old games, that'd work. If you're gonna buy online, make sure they're a reputable seller and double check those pictures. If you end up buying online, feel free to post the pictures of the cartridge in here before purchasing them and we can help you determine if they're fake.

Quote:
Listen to Sydian, she knows her stuff.
Well thank you, darlin! :)

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Lv.24Magmar
Unhatched Egg

I don't know why Livewire didn't just move my thread to the proper section to instead of locking my last thread, but is there any way to tell if I have a ban on my DS or just a bad internet connection? I can't tell the difference... thanks

Last edited by Lv.24Magmar; January 29th, 2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Was going to change "for" to "from" in the title but too late!
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Kitrigar
Obnoxious Trainer

Nature: Jolly
What's the notification you get when you're trying to connect?

Played Pokemon since '98.
Craziest Asian you'll ever find.
Flautist, Violinist and Pianist.
Music and video games make my life.
OST's are the best.
Platinum Club Nintendo member.
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM
The Corrupt Plague
Missingno. hunter

Nature: Naughty
Do they give you an error message when you attempt to connect? It would be a good idea to write down the number and enter it here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc.../ds/lookup.jsp.

Credit goes to Team Brushfire for the awesome banner!
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Jak
baby smod

Because there's not a forum you can really move this to. Merging with the Q&A. Honestly though, you might have better luck asking in Trade Corner or Battle Center, since those heavily deal with wifi.

I myself am not a wifi whizz so I have nothing else to say on the matter, I'm afraid.

Old January 31st, 2013, 06:23 AM
Sven

Thanks for suggestions. I appreciate it
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:04 AM
mozartm99

Nature: Lax
So I wanna get one of the older games. I was wondering what the difference was between fire red and red (besides graphics).Thanks in advance.
Friendship dies and true love lies
Night will fall and dark will rise
when a good man goes to war
Demons run, but count the cost
the battle's won, but the child is lost.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links