The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old January 17th, 2013 (12:14 PM).
ShadowE
Competitive RTS gamer, also drunk
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
We all know these kind of games (like GTA, Far Cry, etc.). They have a giant world to explore besides doing the main missions and you can also do stuff in it besides only walking to your objective.

So what is your favorite Free Roam game, and why? (or whatever it might be called, i call it Free Roam)

For me... im really doubting between GTA San Andreas and Far Cry 3...

GTAA is not only a GTA with dozens of cheat codes, you also could go into many stores and do whatever you wanted (killing the people in it or actually buying stuff). It has a pretty large map to explore and also gangs you could encounter aswell as cops. I really enjoyed this game for a very long time and i didnt play all main missions.

Far Cry 3 is also a awesome game. Besides driving in cars and boats, you can now also craft items that you have collected from skinning animals you just killed. In Far Cry 3 you can do many, many "mini-games" like playing poker and shooting birds, aswell as playing side missions for rare rewards. Far Cry 3 amazed me after the big dissapointment called CoD (which is NOT a Free Roam game, so i wont continue on it) and the gameplay, the characters... the islands to explore... this game deserves a 10 out of 10 in my opinion
Old January 17th, 2013 (12:22 PM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I loved Simpsons Hit & Run.

Because by going around, you uncover hidden gags and find collection cards, hidden bees, alien cola machine and alien crates. You could also see how Springfield really is. You could know how far is the elementary school from Bart and Lisa's house and all those goodies. I gotta say, even 9 years I bought the game, I still enjoy going through every map because I keep discovering cool stuffs by strolling around.
Old January 17th, 2013 (04:08 PM).
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
The Elder Scrolls series.

Fallout is great as well.
Old January 17th, 2013 (04:08 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Just Cause 2, hands down. Absolutely had a BLAST with that game.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old January 17th, 2013 (06:45 PM).
TheFattestSnorlax
Have a very merry Christmas!
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Burnout Paradise counts as a Free Roam map, so i'm going to go with this.

Although it is a great game, my big bro took the Xbox 360 with him to college.
Old January 18th, 2013 (01:17 AM).
Brendino
Oh good grief.

Nature: Quiet
I would have to say that one of the favorites of the top of my head would be Red Dead Redemption. In essence, it felt like a wild-west version of Grand Theft Auto (which makes sense, as they were both made by Rockstar), plus it gave us a large, varying landscapes with many different animals running about.

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old January 18th, 2013 (02:57 AM).
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
I can't quite pick out a definitive favourite but here are a few I really enjoyed.

1.Fallout 3-bloody fantastic game, really immerse.
2.Forza Horizon-The Best licensed soundtrack in a game, awesome feels.
3.GTA San-Andreas. It's really impressive considering when it came out.

I'm reallllllly wanting to try Far Cry 3 though, and I have a feeling that Just Cause 2 would make the list if I gave it a try. Alas without and Xbox 360 or Ps3 I'm going to have to hope upon hope they make a Wii U release. (still don't have that either, but I'm strongly considering it.)
Old January 18th, 2013 (08:18 AM).
Cassino

X. A very unique series, these days; spiritual successor to Elite.
The latest installment is X3: Albion Prelude, if anyone wants a less ambiguous search term.
Old January 18th, 2013 (03:27 PM).
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
The later Sly Cooper games and all Assassin's Creed games come to mind because exploring is just so much fun in them. Why walk to your destination when you can free run along the rooftops? Why drive when you can parachute? I actually really want to play Sly 2 right now.
Old January 19th, 2013 (02:30 PM).
DraconianWing
Ω We fly Sky-High Ω

Nature: Relaxed
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation

One of the best free roams IMO to exist. I agree with Sweets Witch; freerunning along rooftops is far more exhilirating than simply walking to your destination. And you won't believe it until you experience it :D

"I go fast. Not because I want to, but because no one else will..." -Mega Salamence by Dragonith
Old January 24th, 2013 (05:29 PM).
Ryusuta
Unhatched Egg

Honestly, the more i look at it, probably Jak 3. It was challenging without being ridiculous, it had a lot of side areas, it had great modes of travel, and the setting designs themselves were extremely creative.
Old January 24th, 2013 (11:14 PM).
Mr. Avocado
Shall We Begin?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Skyrim and FarCry 3. By a long way.

Skyrim is so exciting, and when roaming around you never know what to expect. You improve your skills, attributes and just play in your own style. The one thing that will always hit me about Skyrim is that there are so many locations to discover, all so detailed, you never run out of things to do in Skyrim. Furthermore, the game is so unrestricted; you can set up a domino effect with people in it, fire people from the top of a mountain. It's just all so good!

FarCry 3. Absolutely amazing. What makes the game even better is the character in my sig; Vaas Montenegro. The aspects of the game, the ways in which you can liberate camps is up to you. In the game, you are able to develop skills which form a tattoo on your left arm and is also linked with finding relics of each of the animals that the tattoo links with. Unique, eh? The game also contains a form of customization when it comes to guns, which is what I adore. Another thing, the characters have amazing lines, especially Vaas, throughout the whole game, very creative and it adds to making the game more interesting. You collect materials to craft things; from wallets to medicines. All are so helpful and you can have to get the resources from everywhere on the map. Something to recognize is that they haven't been lazy with locations, I love how the animals are allocated to specific parts of the map and each of them is rarer than another; especially the Tapir, mind. FarCry 3, there aren't much games that can top it.
Old January 25th, 2013 (02:42 PM).
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
The GTA series in general, though the recent ones are better. I don't know, there's something really satisfying about going around being able to shoot people at will and evade the cops...

I'm not crazy, I swear.
Old January 25th, 2013 (09:04 PM).
jgalvan100
*****monally Challenged

Nature: Naive
Spiderman 2 for the Gamecube. That game was the **** back in the day.
Old January 25th, 2013 (09:57 PM).
dcjboi
With Quiet Courage

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to dcjboi
FarCry3 comes to mind. The game really does blend gunfights well with the wilderness. A must play.
GTAA and GTA 4. These satisfy my lust for violence every time I play XD.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Anyone who has ever played these games would agree. It blends RPG elements with FPS perfectly and it never gets old. I see Almost infinite possibilities with this game and I personally feel that this series is better than the Elder Scrolls because your choices feel like they have more of an impact although the melee combat could use a similar change like Skyrims.
Skyrim. I'm sure this speaks for itself.
Assassins Creed series. I love the historical elements and Ubisoft is always good at immersion.
The Legend of Zelda series. Specifically Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I beat WW 4 times and I still find it fun to play.

Old January 26th, 2013 (05:49 PM). Edited January 26th, 2013 by XLegionxX.
XLegionxX
Blackwood is rising!

Far-Cry 3 Just because it is totally awesome. Who doesn't like (SPOILER)
Spoiler:
Burning down hemp fields with a flame-thrower while killing pirates to dubstep

Borderlands 2 BECAUSE IT IS BADASS!!!! (You'd have to have play the Tourqe DLC to get that.)

and Sleeping Dogs It's like GTA, but you can actually drive a car without flying off the road while going 40mph.

Old January 26th, 2013 (06:08 PM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
-Crystal Bearers for the Wii is blast, never gets old to just fling things about.
-Go Vacation is pretty awesome for a minigame collection, I mean it. The game looks really good for a Wii game, and I just loved finding every secret.
-Xenoblade for obvious reasons. Just roaming about to soak up the beauty is wonderful.
-Just Cause 2 for the PS2, although a bit outdated, is excellent. Hooking yourself to a car while parachuting is mad fun.
-TDU as well. Best open world car game, besides Most Wanted and TDU2. The controls are tight enough, and there is so much you can do.

Sponsored Links