The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Thorsphen
Electric

Nature: Naughty
I am getting back into Pokemon after many years, not played since Sapphire and Ruby, I have ordered a 3DS and Black 2, what is a good starter Pokemon?

Also I forgot, how long is the leveling up process?
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsphen View Post
I am getting back into Pokemon after many years, not played since Sapphire and Ruby, I have ordered a 3DS and Black 2, what is a good starter Pokemon?

Also I forgot, how long is the leveling up process?
Here's my thoughts on each starter:

Snivy has terrible offenses and is built more for defensive roles. Unfortunately it struggles a lot in the early game due to so many Bug and Poison-types present for most of the early game.

Tepig is okay, but it doesn't learn many good moves until it reaches its final stage Emboar, when it gets Hammer Arm and Flamethrower and it's also the slowest of the bunch with low defenses but good HP.

Oshawott is the best of the bunch, since it has decent stats and learns moves at the right time, also unlike the other two, there are less Water-types it can compete with in the earlier parts of the game (i.e. not many other Pokemon that could replace it until later on) and it can run mixed attacking sets well.

My advice would probably choose Oshawott, but it's up to you.

Also, each starter evolves at Level 17 then again at Level 36.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old January 27th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Thorsphen
Electric

Thank you, I suppose I will catch some Pokemon along my travels, how long does it take to level up nowadays?
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Heartouch
Look up to the stars.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
I personally think Oshawott might be the best choice, because it could learn powerful moves like Ice Beam (via TM, to counter Grass-types) and Revenge. For me, leveling up depends on what level your opponent Pokemon is. I remember raising a level 5 Pokemon to level 20 in 3 matches when battling a level 50 Pokemon (by Exp. Share).
PC Family | PC Blog | EGC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Thorsphen
Electric

OK great, it's just I wanted to know how long it would be until I can catch some real powerful Pokemon
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

What Wind Heart was saying about EXP gain is because, in 5th Generation the EXP gained is now calculated on the difference between your Pokemon's level and the opponent's. You necessarily gain more EXP against higher-level opponents.

There is an easy way to gain EXP, on any route with tall grass (except Route 19) you can find Audino in shaking patches of grass. Just run around when outside of the grass and then a patch will spawn and shake. Get into the shaking patch and you'll find a Pokemon, most of the time it is Audino, and they look like this:

Fight loads and loads of Audino and you'll gain massive EXP, this gets even easier once you get the Lucky Egg from Professor Juniper in Celestial Tower on Route 7. The Lucky Egg doubles the amount of EXP gained for the Pokemon that is holding it.

Old January 27th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Thorsphen
Electric

Thanks for the help yet again, I just can't wait for my 3DS and B2 to arrive, only two days!

I am going to start with Tepig or Oshawott, any Pokemon on my travels I should catch which would be useful later in the game?
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Kratosx
Flareon Master

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsphen View Post
Thanks for the help yet again, I just can't wait for my 3DS and B2 to arrive, only two days!

I am going to start with Tepig or Oshawott, any Pokemon on my travels I should catch which would be useful later in the game?
There are many pokes to choose from in bw2 here are som examples that are some of my faves i only write down the 1st stages here:
growlithe, riolu, staryu, magnemite, drilbur, darumaka and manymany more check here for list of all pokes in bw2:

http://serebii.net/black2white2/unovadex.shtml

note that the event legends dosent exist in the game except for keldeo who is up on wifi now until 12feb

Currently doings:

Breeding for Shinys

My friend safari pokemons: Shuppet, Pumkaboo, Drifblim

my 3DS FC is:
0216-2224-5730
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:02 AM
QuickSilveri
Veteran

(Repost from up there, cause it was skipped...again )
Quick Question (please provide a how-to if possible):

I heard somewhere that you can upload your VS Recorder battle videos to a computer.
Is this possible? If so, How?
(Black 2)

Thanks In Advance

Regards, Chris
Started: Pokemon Yellow for GBC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their Pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Thorsphen
Electric

Is there anyway to get Kyogre?

Like trade via WiFi?

I miss that Pokemon and have not got my old games anymore and I don't know anyone near me who plays Pokemon.
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:22 AM
QuickSilveri
Veteran

I have one that i can trade you. Add my FC and we can go from there.

Regards, Chris
Started: Pokemon Yellow for GBC

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their Pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Last edited by Jellicent♀; January 27th, 2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Be patient.
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
From what I know, Battle Videos on the VS Recorder can be uploaded to the GTS, and be viewed through the friend codes in-game. Currently there is no way to view them on a PC through any official means.
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Thorsphen
Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilveri View Post
I have one that i can trade you. Add my FC and we can go from there.

Regards, Chris
Aha, will add it when I get the game Tuesday

Last edited by Jellicent♀; January 27th, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by megametalgreymon View Post
So I want to get Black 2 and White 2 with the special Dream World Sinnoh starter code. I was wondering if Walmart is also selling the special copies on their website as well as in-store. Has anyone gotten one of those copies from ordering online, or can they only be purchased in-store only?
From what I've read, not all Walmart locations are running the event ("participating locations"). I believe you have to go in, as there can be no guarantee when you buy online that you are getting this event. It's a specially marked package, and online most likely does not carry that.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 28th, 2013, 08:55 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
What area of the DW can I find a poliwag? Also is it possible to breed its ability?
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
What area of the DW can I find a poliwag? Also is it possible to breed its ability?
It's found in the Pleasant Forest, and it can be obtained with either gender so yes, it is possible to breed its Hidden Ability.

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:14 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
To add to what Hikari said, it's possible to breed DW Poliwag, but only the females get to pass down the ability, not the males.

Old January 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
To add more, you cannot breed with a Ditto, or you'll never get the DW ability.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Papii
Unhatched Egg

Is it impossible in B2/W2 to breed Hydro Pump or Scald onto a Dragonite? I know that in 2003, Nintendo had an event for a Dratini that knew Hydro Pump and the event was held in the New York Pokemon Center; sucks for me because I'm from New York City. Do those kind of Dratini's exist on DS games? Or were they only in in GBC/GBA?
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:42 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papii View Post
Is it impossible in B2/W2 to breed Hydro Pump or Scald onto a Dragonite? I know that in 2003, Nintendo had an event for a Dratini that knew Hydro Pump and the event was held in the New York Pokemon Center; sucks for me because I'm from New York City. Do those kind of Dratini's exist on DS games? Or were they only in in GBC/GBA?
The Hydro Pump Dragonite is GBC exclusive, sadly. And Dragonte can't even learn Scald. It does learn Surf, though.

Old January 29th, 2013, 04:13 PM
PokemonLady82
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Lonely
I have the first 2 black and white games... are the 2's worth getting as well? cause I thought pokemon wise, they both have the same types of Pokémon, right?
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonLady82 View Post
I have the first 2 black and white games... are the 2's worth getting as well? cause I thought pokemon wise, they both have the same types of Pokémon, right?
B/W have 156 Pokemon. B2W2 have 300 Pokemon. Pokemon are different in the games. Unlike before, the Sequels have different stories rather than a combined rehash of the original story.
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Papii
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonLady82 View Post
Personally, I like my Pokemon Black 2 more than my Pokemon White. It has more cities, and the story is a bit longer, so it's better IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
The Hydro Pump Dragonite is GBC exclusive, sadly. And Dragonte can't even learn Scald. It does learn Surf, though.
Thanks for the information. Would you prefer Surf over the other two?

Last edited by Papii; January 29th, 2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:05 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
What are opinions on using Cell Battery on pokemon? Does it negate the attack or justs ups attack?
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
What are opinions on using Cell Battery on pokemon? Does it negate the attack or justs ups attack?
From the bible of Competitive Pokemon Battles:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smogon
Description

Raises the holder's Attack stat by one stage when it is hit by an Electric-type move. The item is consumed after use. It does not grant immunity to Electric-type moves. If held by a Pokemon with Volt Absorb or Lightningrod, the ability will activate first if an Electric-type move is used, so the item's effect will not activate, unless the holder's ability is changed.

Competitive Use

Cell Battery is a pretty poor choice, all things considered. It's a one-time use item, which is annoying, and the boost it provides is removed on switching out. You can get the exact same boost with Choice Band, but without an activation cost, or if you don't like being unable to switch moves you can always opt for Life Orb. Simply put, Cell Battery will almost never be as useful as most other, more common competitive items.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links