• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Pokemon Sizes

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
Do you reckon with this new 3D battle format we'll be able to see the size of pokemon properly? One thing I really want to see is a joltik or wurmple attacking the massive Yveltal but to scale unlike the old games where they looked around the same size either way. Anyone else want to see this?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't think that will happen just because I think it's just fine as it is, it would be annoying for a camera view to constantly change between a battle with Wailord, Caterpie, Yvetal, etc.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I think the Pokémon in the battle in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would have different Pokémon at different sizes so it would make the game more realistic. They simply couldn't do it in previous generations due to technical limitations.

And yeah, I'd really like to see the Pokémon at different sizes during battle and maybe in cutscenes as well. ^^

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Battling with Pokemon at different sizes would be a definite plus for the games! xD I think they could pull it off quite well due to the 3D advancements they would be having along with the 3DS. Think of how awesome it would be to see the comparison between a battle of a Joltik against a Wailord. xD As for the zooming in and out to view both of the Pokemon's immense size differences, I'm sure GF will find a way to make the transition as smooth as possible and without major hiccups.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Nah, I think they'll keep the models scaled for simplicity's sake. Fighting against Wailord, you'd see nothing but an off-white mass with the majority of Pokemon. Fighting with Wailord, you'd just see its back and probably not even the enemy. Joltik would be the opposite with you not being able to see it when it's in battle with a lot of Pokemon. Even with zoom, the resizing of the other Pokemon would be ridiculous (they'd be dots compared to Wailord and Wailords compared to Joltik).

Guy

just a guy
Years
Based on what we've seen thus far, I think it's almost safe to assume they'll stick with keeping their sizes scaled down to fit the screen. I can't even begin to imagine what a battle would look like between a monster as big as Wailord versus something as miniscule as Joltik. The difference in proportion between those two, the player might not even be able to see Joltik on the field.

Victini

.. I certainly hope the sizes won't become completely realistic! ;;

It'd be really awkward to fight with a small 'mon against a huge being like Yveltal or Wailord. Like for instance, I won't evolve my starter this time around regardless of what the evos look like. So imagine how strange it'd be to use Froakie in a match against Yveltal if they become realistic with it... that scaling would be ridiculous. >_<;; It would just make the camera-panning and stuff really awkward...

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Actually, I think realistic sizes... might be interesting! Or you know, at least scaled to be preceived to be their realistic size. I did like that feature on the pokemon console games; I wouldn't mind if we saw that here.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
i was actually wondering about this last night (yes... thats what i think about in the middle of the night...)
they'll probably scale them down. the reason i say so is that noticed these are the smallest main legendaries since mewtwo. coincidence? i think not!

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I would imagine that they'll be scaled such that the big ones will look big and the little ones will look little (like they pretty much already are), but it won't be anything even close to the canon dimensions, just because, as noted already, that would be extremely awkward.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
Golurk in the trailer was scaled down a lot, so I don't see GF changing that aspect.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah I don't want everything to be majorly large and I hope everything else continues to be scaled down, given what we've seen has been. Just the gigantic things that Pokemon has makes me think that if everything were much larger it would just be... off.

Years
  • Seen Jan 9, 2014
Very interesting idea. I'd think they probably will in some way, but like someone has mentioned before me, I doubt that it would be realistic for us to assume that a Pokemon like Rayquaza will be shown in its full size, even with the new format.

Years
Yeah I don't want everything to be majorly large and I hope everything else continues to be scaled down, given what we've seen has been. Just the gigantic things that Pokemon has makes me think that if everything were much larger it would just be... off.

Definitely agree, if something like Wailord were its actual size it wouldn't fit. I'm still ok with Pokemon not being their actual sizes.

Fureon

Psychic
Years
I'd certainly like the proper sizes. Some people say it would be "awkward", but how do you think you should feel when fighting someone twice your size? The realistic sizes would add the much needed new feelings to the battle. If a big Pokemon is supposed to be intimidating, give it the right to be intimidating. If a small pokemon is very small but efficient, let it be that. Why not?

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I'd certainly like the proper sizes. Some people say it would be "awkward", but how do you think you should feel when fighting someone twice your size? The realistic sizes would add the much needed new feelings to the battle. If a big Pokemon is supposed to be intimidating, give it the right to be intimidating. If a small pokemon is very small but efficient, let it be that. Why not?
I don't mean "awkward" in any sort of "feeling" sense, but in a very straightforward game design sense.

To run with the examples that have been mentioned a few times now - a Joltik is 4 inches tall. A Wailord is 47 feet tall. That means that a battle between the two of them would be a battle between something the size of your hand and something the size of your local Home Depot. If the camera zoomed in far enough that you could actually see the Joltik, you would only see, at most, a tiny fraction of the Wailord - no more than a bit of blue - the equivalent of one brick in the wall of that Home Depot and certainly not enough to even be able to tell that it's a Wailord. If the camera zoomed out far enough to see the Wailord, the Joltik would be the tiniest speck of dust, impossible to see. Either the game would have to stay with one or the other, so you'd never see the other one, or it would have to constantly zoom back and forth, from one to the other. That would be, either way, awkward.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I don't mean "awkward" in any sort of "feeling" sense, but in a very straightforward game design sense.

To run with the examples that have been mentioned a few times now - a Joltik is 4 inches tall. A Wailord is 47 feet tall. That means that a battle between the two of them would be a battle between something the size of your hand and something the size of your local Home Depot. If the camera zoomed in far enough that you could actually see the Joltik, you would only see, at most, a tiny fraction of the Wailord - no more than a bit of blue - the equivalent of one brick in the wall of that Home Depot and certainly not enough to even be able to tell that it's a Wailord. If the camera zoomed out far enough to see the Wailord, the Joltik would be the tiniest speck of dust, impossible to see. Either the game would have to stay with one or the other, so you'd never see the other one, or it would have to constantly zoom back and forth, from one to the other. That would be, either way, awkward.

To me, I don't think it would feel very awkward, just as long as the camera zooms out far enough to see both Pokémon. If the Pokémon are at those sizes... it would make the game feel more realistic.

Either way, think of how Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness dealt with those kind of things, it would be pretty much the same sort of thing if we're talking about Pokémon X and Y here.

It just feels unrealistic to me if the Pokémon are made to be the same size as each other. :P

Back