The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Not too difficult, just have a flag set when you enter the room with the machine thingy in it that records your data. When this is set, a script could be allowed to happen somewhere else where the hero can go to take on this final boss.

Just use a simple setflag in a level script in that room to accomplish this.
But wouldn't that trigger the flag the first time you beat the elite four? I only want it to happen after the second time...

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old January 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
But wouldn't that trigger the flag the first time you beat the elite four? I only want it to happen after the second time...
Okay, so set a flag the first time. Then the second time you go through, you check the old flag and proceed only if it is set. If it is, you set the second flag, which unlocks the door or whatever you need it to.

Paired with Simba
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:25 PM
wwmb
Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
Sorry, yeah it is FR haha
The post mentioned removing the intro, but im looking more to...delay it.
I also have no ASM skills, but I will attempt to teach myself if thats what is needed to do my idea, but will that code remove it? or could i use that to maybe push back the intro of the game, so i can allow my own events to happen and then create some kind of event where it initiates the original intro?
Yep, ASM seems to be a requirement.... and, if you learn it you could not only activate it (or parts of it, like Jambo kind of does) whenever you want, but make your own version.

I don't actually know ASM (yet) either, so I cannot help you very much, other than finding posts by other people

I think the (perhaps simplified) steps are: move the intro (and stop everything from trying to call it), build a function to start the intro at its new place of residence, and then write a script to call that function.

Good luck!
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:24 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Ok, this is extremely urgent A-map seems to be malfunctioning along with 1.92.

So I was trying to port over my old tileset but when i do everything in the tileset became monocolored... :/

Yet, I've edited the pallete and when I checked the pallete editor the palletes are right but in a-map and in game the tiles are monocolored and I don't know why...

It's my first time inserting tiles again after a month but I don't think that's my problem because on a new ROM a clean FR rom I saved the tileset and tried to load it again but when it load it was monocolored and I don't know the reason behind that... :/

Here's a pic to show you guys what's happening.

Spoiler:

I need help please without this to be fixed I can't contninue with my hack... :/
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:31 AM
DrFuji
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
Ok, this is extremely urgent A-map seems to be malfunctioning along with 1.92.

So I was trying to port over my old tileset but when i do everything in the tileset became monocolored... :/

Yet, I've edited the pallete and when I checked the pallete editor the palletes are right but in a-map and in game the tiles are monocolored and I don't know why...

It's my first time inserting tiles again after a month but I don't think that's my problem because on a new ROM a clean FR rom I saved the tileset and tried to load it again but when it load it was monocolored and I don't know the reason behind that... :/

Here's a pic to show you guys what's happening.

Spoiler:

I need help please without this to be fixed I can't contninue with my hack... :/
That happens when you complete these steps:
  • Save your tileset from A-Map and open it in Paint/ another image editor
  • Edit the palette that you were using in A-Map
  • Save your tileset with the new palette, overwriting the version you saved earlier
  • Make some changes to the original tileset that was opened in Paint and save it, once again overwriting the file that was just saved from A-Map (At this point you're overwriting a file that overwrote an earlier version of this file)
  • When you load this new tileset into A-Map it will display like what you've shown, with the final palette in the tileset overwriting all the colours except the transparent one (I think it can also overwrite the transparent colour if you changed it while editing the palette earlier)
You get this effect because Paint only saves the image and doesn't overwrite the assigned palette even if its different. When you edit the palette in A-Map and overwrite the file that is still in Paint then you're working with an outdated version of the tileset in terms of the palette if you don't reload/ reopen it so when you again overwrite that file it doesn't change the associated palette to what it was originally.

To get your tileset back to normal you need to have your final saved tileset which looks screwed up in A-Map but fine in Paint - If you deleted it in a fit of confusion or something happened to it then there's nothing you can do other than start again or use an earlier saved version from a back up. Anyway, you need to change your palette back to how it was when you started out with 100% accuracy, if you've got a .pal file of it then you should have no trouble with this. Save the messed up tileset in A-Map but title it something different than the standard 'TilesetXX' so you don't overwrite anything. Copy+Paste the tileset that looks okay in Paint but wrong in A-Map over this newly made tileset and save it. When you open it in A-Map then it should hopefully look back to normal.

Ugh, sorry that parts of this are poorly worded. I've had this happen one or two times so I know it can be really devastating if you don't know what to do ;_;

Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
--As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:33 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
That happens when you complete these steps:
  • Save your tileset from A-Map and open it in Paint/ another image editor
  • Edit the palette that you were using in A-Map
  • Save your tileset with the new palette, overwriting the version you saved earlier
  • Make some changes to the original tileset that was opened in Paint and save it, once again overwriting the file that was just saved from A-Map (At this point you're overwriting a file that overwrote an earlier version of this file)
  • When you load this new tileset into A-Map it will display like what you've shown, with the final palette in the tileset overwriting all the colours except the transparent one (I think it can also overwrite the transparent colour if you changed it while editing the palette earlier)
You get this effect because Paint only saves the image and doesn't overwrite the assigned palette even if its different. When you edit the palette in A-Map and overwrite the file that is still in Paint then you're working with an outdated version of the tileset in terms of the palette if you don't reload/ reopen it so when you again overwrite that file it doesn't change the associated palette to what it was originally.

To get your tileset back to normal you need to have your final saved tileset which looks screwed up in A-Map but fine in Paint - If you deleted it in a fit of confusion or something happened to it then there's nothing you can do other than start again or use an earlier saved version from a back up. Anyway, you need to change your palette back to how it was when you started out with 100% accuracy, if you've got a .pal file of it then you should have no trouble with this. Save the messed up tileset in A-Map but title it something different than the standard 'TilesetXX' so you don't overwrite anything. Copy+Paste the tileset that looks okay in Paint but wrong in A-Map over this newly made tileset and save it. When you open it in A-Map then it should hopefully look back to normal.

Ugh, sorry that parts of this are poorly worded. I've had this happen one or two times so I know it can be really devastating if you don't know what to do ;_;
I don't think so when I tried it in another hack it was the same so I think I'm hopeless for tile inserting now... :(
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:49 AM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
I don't think so when I tried it in another hack it was the same so I think I'm hopeless for tile inserting now... :(
Are you using MS paint to insert tiles (I use XP, cuz we gud liek dat yo)? If you're not I think you should. Another thing you can do is what Fuji suggested, and work from a back up. Though if you have the desired tile set (and the colors are compatible i.e RGB# is a multiple of 8), then you can simply open the palette editor and change the colors to match and insert (shouldn't take more than 10 mins). Also, make sure advance map is the most recent version :)

Hacks I support:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297199 --Legend of Anbuja
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200227 -- Pokemon Rose version

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
How would you find the ASM routine that the game runs when pressing A while selecting "Pokedex" on the Start Menu? I tried pausing the game in VBA-SDL-H right after pressing A, but I can't find the exact routine, because whenever I put in a breakpoint, it breaks even in other places that have nothing to do with the Pokedex, and that it seems like the game is always running multiple routines or something :/
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:31 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
How would you find the ASM routine that the game runs when pressing A while selecting "Pokedex" on the Start Menu? I tried pausing the game in VBA-SDL-H right after pressing A, but I can't find the exact routine, because whenever I put in a breakpoint, it breaks even in other places that have nothing to do with the Pokedex, and that it seems like the game is always running multiple routines or something :/
There are several things you can try but you're currently on a wrong path if I understood right what you're saying here. The processor executes code so fast that if you're trying to press some button on that program to stop executing at certain point, you can never be quick enough.
Anyway, can't you just set a breakpoint to the ram address having the buttons stored in them? There should be some high ram area in GBA where certain universal things like key presses are stored. When you press A, one bit is set in a certain ram address and you can set a breakpoint to that address and follow the code onwards from there.

Another way would be trying to use an asm editor and get hang of the processes being executed before you press A button at that time.
You should be able to find some table defining text strings "Pokedex", "Pokemon", [Player's name]", "Option" and all that stuff. Find the pointer to "Pokedex" for instance and see how it is accessed. Somewhere close to it (either in that routine or some "main routine" calling that subroutine) you should find a routine for making the game wait for the player to press either A button or Up/Down for scrolling up or down in the menu.

For reference; http://blog.pkh.me/p/1-scavenger-hunt.html

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:09 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
Are you using MS paint to insert tiles (I use XP, cuz we gud liek dat yo)? If you're not I think you should. Another thing you can do is what Fuji suggested, and work from a back up. Though if you have the desired tile set (and the colors are compatible i.e RGB# is a multiple of 8), then you can simply open the palette editor and change the colors to match and insert (shouldn't take more than 10 mins). Also, make sure advance map is the most recent version :)
I am using XP I just have windows 7 theme...

I already did that but it still the same when loading a tileset... :/ No, I inserted the tileset but it looks monocolored but when I open the pallete editor it's the pallete that I wanted... :/

I am using 95 but I thought to myself maybe it's because there are many bugs with 95 but when I tried it in 92 it's still the same.
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM
FBI agent

Quote:
I am using XP I just have windows 7 theme...

I already did that but it still the same when loading a tileset... :/ No, I inserted the tileset but it looks monocolored but when I open the pallete editor it's the pallete that I wanted... :/

I am using 95 but I thought to myself maybe it's because there are many bugs with 95 but when I tried it in 92 it's still the same.
Do you have a 16 color version of what's coming up as all green in A-Map? And have you tried inserting them onto a clean ROM then patching it over? If you're doing something wrong with inserting it, shouldn't insert properly on the clean ROM. If it does insert onto the clean ROM just patch it on the ROM you're working on

EDIT:
Time for me to pose a question. How do I do this:

Maybe with the down arrow too? I'm asking for FireRed. This screenshot is from Foullump's White Version.

EDIT2:

Quote:
You would have to use hex.
Up = [F7]
Down = [F8]
Left = [F9]
Right = [EF]
Is there no way to do it in the script editor?

EDIT3:

Welp, I ended up figuring it out. If you're interested:
Spoiler:

Here they are for PKSV:
\h79 - Up
\h7A - Down
\h7b - Left
\h7c - Right

For XSE it's simply just square brackets and a capital letter. Hope that helps

Hacks I support:

People whom I thank:
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).

Last edited by FBI agent; January 27th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Strawberry Mint
Cute Trainer

Nature: Calm
I'm making a Gold hack, and I want to remove the guide gent from cherrygrove city. I can do that just fine, that's not the problem. However, he gives the player the map card, which is kind of important. How can I make sure the map card is pre-installed as soon as you obtain the pokegear?
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:59 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Mint View Post
I'm making a Gold hack, and I want to remove the guide gent from cherrygrove city. I can do that just fine, that's not the problem. However, he gives the player the map card, which is kind of important. How can I make sure the map card is pre-installed as soon as you obtain the pokegear?
You're going to have to change the script ran in the downstairs of your house so that map card is being "installed" at the same time when the script is run.

In other words, download PKSV and decompile the script at 0x18164F. There, you've to make the script "setbit2 0x1".

You could for example do the following:
Change that "2call 0x56C7" to "2call 0x7FF0". Next replace

Code:
#org 0x1816C7
'-----------------------------------
jumpstd 0x29
WITH

Code:
#org 0x183FF0
'-----------------------------------
setbit2 0x1
jumpstd 0x29

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Flame999

heeelp i can't figure out how i make a trainer fade after you beat them
- New Tiles
- New Trainer sprites
- New Map for Hoenn (replace Sevii islands)
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Gym leaders
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Elite four and Champions

Old January 28th, 2013, 02:59 AM
FBI agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame999 View Post
heeelp i can't figure out how i make a trainer fade after you beat them
Fade? You mean like disappear?

It's disappear 0xPersonEventNumber
set a flag after that if you want it to be permanent (and change the person ID on A-map to that flag #)

Hacks I support:

People whom I thank:
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:18 AM
stocko
Toast Engineer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to stocko
So, I've got a few questions here, any help is appreciated

1. I'm attempting to change the pokemon logo on the title screen of emerald. The image goes across fine but the palette I'm changing in APE does not seem to do anything. I'm using this offset in APE 00DDE258, does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

2. I was wondering whether it would be possible to make it that rather than having a choice of boy/girl in the beginning of the game whether it would work to have it so you have multiple characters to choose from? Or is there a script function to change the characters OW? or does it require ASM?

Thanks

I support these hacks
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:28 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Well i wouldn't ask without searchign first but, the answer didn't help me 100%

After i tried to resize a map in A-map 1.95 Im getting this "Invalid pointer to map header" error.
S
earched if someone else had this problem before and giradialkia did, and they told him to re-download a new version of A-map, did that but im still getting this error.

I hope theres a solution to his or im screwed

Or if someone can PM me his A-map version if that is allowed and possible.

~ Legend Of Anbuja...coming soon~ Da
Old January 28th, 2013, 08:00 AM
FBI agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
Well i wouldn't ask without searchign first but, the answer didn't help me 100%

After i tried to resize a map in A-map 1.95 Im getting this "Invalid pointer to map header" error.
S
earched if someone else had this problem before and giradialkia did, and they told him to re-download a new version of A-map, did that but im still getting this error.

I hope theres a solution to his or im screwed

Or if someone can PM me his A-map version if that is allowed and possible.
Yeah, I just use Amap 1.92 for mapping and 1.91 for inserting maps. I haven't downloaded the new version yet, but I've never had any errors using those two. "Invalid pointer to map header" -- What is your map header? Change it to the default in FireRed/whatever rom you're using. See if that fixes it.

Hacks I support:

People whom I thank:
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote:
"Invalid pointer to map header" -- What is your map header? Change it to the default in FireRed/whatever rom you're using. See if that fixes it.
Unfurtunately my A-map doesn't let me have acess on that certain map anymore(which is pallett town), since it gives me that error and no map shows up anymore

Well I was thinking if i could skip that map entirely and don't use it, or even delete it entirely and create a new map on some other free space, idk if that could be a solution?

Thanks for the reply though :>

~ Legend Of Anbuja...coming soon~ Da
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:55 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocko View Post
So, I've got a few questions here, any help is appreciated

1. I'm attempting to change the pokemon logo on the title screen of emerald. The image goes across fine but the palette I'm changing in APE does not seem to do anything. I'm using this offset in APE 00DDE258, does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

2. I was wondering whether it would be possible to make it that rather than having a choice of boy/girl in the beginning of the game whether it would work to have it so you have multiple characters to choose from? Or is there a script function to change the characters OW? or does it require ASM?

Thanks
1. I searched using the Pallet editor in VBA on my BPEE rom and found the offset of the Rayquaza's pallet in the title screen to be 0x00DDE418 and the pallet for the glow on its body to be at 0x00D8BA54.

2. You can change the character in FireRed using JPAN's hacked engine. To make the change at the beginning in the selection area will require ASM or a very, very fancy script with lots of variables and picture boxes.

Look in the spoiler for a past post on removing the intro. From their, if you know what flags and stuff to write, you could try writing your own ASM or script to make it work:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
So, I got this idea for my game that I really want to do, but I'm not sure how, or if I even can, but would it be possible to have gameplay before the actual intro of the game? This is what im thinking of doing: The game starts right away, youre playing as a little boy, you do a small pre mission kinda deal, then it fast forwards to the present, and thats where the game starts, you tell the prof your name, and so on. Because my character will be living in pallet town and I want to show some background like where he was before then, because i want it to make sense as to why hes there now. How could I do this? And how difficult would it be if possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmb View Post

Paired with Simba
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:56 PM
FBI agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
Unfurtunately my A-map doesn't let me have acess on that certain map anymore(which is pallett town), since it gives me that error and no map shows up anymore

Well I was thinking if i could skip that map entirely and don't use it, or even delete it entirely and create a new map on some other free space, idk if that could be a solution?

Thanks for the reply though :>
I wouldn't ignore it, it could come back and mess things up in future (what if it happens to other maps?). Try HackMew's patching method (in his tutorial thread). That thing has never failed me lol.

Hacks I support:

People whom I thank:
Old January 28th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Flame999

Quote:
Fade? You mean like disappear?

It's disappear 0xPersonEventNumber
set a flag after that if you want it to be permanent (and change the person ID on A-map to that flag #)
Yes disappear like the rocket grunt after you help bill in fire red and i'm using pksv by the way and this is my script

'-----------------------
#org 0x740001
trainerbattle 0x0 0x1 0x0 0x8740018 0x8740051
msgbox 0x8740069 '"I came from Kanto to test a Hoenn C..."
callstd 0x6
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x740018
= I hope you're ready to end all battles cause here I come

#org 0x740051
= You were ready afterall

#org 0x740069
= I came from Kanto to test a Hoenn Champion

When i put disappear 0x1 or whatever after callstd 0x6 it says Unknown keyword "disappear" at line 6 what do I do I have no clue what to do? if you can help thanks
- New Tiles
- New Trainer sprites
- New Map for Hoenn (replace Sevii islands)
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Gym leaders
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Elite four and Champions

Old January 28th, 2013, 02:31 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Yes disappear like the rocket grunt after you help bill in fire red and i'm using pksv by the way and this is my script

'-----------------------
#org 0x740001
callstd 0x6
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x740018

#org 0x740051

#org 0x740069

When i put disappear 0x1 or whatever after callstd 0x6 it says Unknown keyword "disappear" at line 6 what do I do I have no clue what to do? if you can help thanks
"Disappear" is PKSVUI talk for "hidesprite" in XSE. It is the same command (in terms of hex numbers) just different names.

If you want him to stay gone, make sure you set it up like this:

fadescreen 0x____
hidesprite 0x______
setflag 0xflag#
fadescreen 0x_____

Then, take the flag# and set it as the Person I.D. in A-map.

Paired with Simba
Old January 28th, 2013, 02:31 PM
FBI agent

Quote:

'-----------------------
#org 0x740001
callstd 0x6
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x740018

#org 0x740051

#org 0x740069

For this, you want him to disappear as fast as you finish talking to him? If that's the case you need to add the line:
disappear LASTTALKED
after the callstd, then set a flag to keep him disappeared. Make sure you change his Person ID
to whatever flag you used (found in A-Map).

EDIT:
Try it out yourself first. If it doesn't work look at this as reference:
Spoiler:

#dyn 0x740000
#org @start
trainerbattle 0x0 0x1 0x0 @begin @defeat
msgbox @afterwards
callstd MSG_NORMAL
disappear LASTTALKED
setflag 0x560
release
end

'I'm too lazy to add newline charachters, you get the idea

#org @begin

#org @defeat

#org @afterwards
= I came from Kanto to test a Hoenn Champion.

Hacks I support:

People whom I thank:

Last edited by FBI agent; January 28th, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:42 AM
stocko
Toast Engineer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to stocko
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
1. I searched using the Pallet editor in VBA on my BPEE rom and found the offset of the Rayquaza's pallet in the title screen to be 0x00DDE418 and the pallet for the glow on its body to be at 0x00D8BA54.

2. You can change the character in FireRed using JPAN's hacked engine. To make the change at the beginning in the selection area will require ASM or a very, very fancy script with lots of variables and picture boxes.

Look in the spoiler for a past post on removing the intro. From their, if you know what flags and stuff to write, you could try writing your own ASM or script to make it work:
Spoiler:

For the answer to question one I think you may have been confused. I was after the actual Pokemon logo's palette if it was the incorrect palette I was using. If not, any suggestions as to why the palette was not changing correctly. But thanks for the answer nonetheless

Thanks heaps for question 2's answer, I think you might be sending me along the right track there. I'll look into it further and come up with some more ideas

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I support these hacks
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links