Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Old January 26th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Snivysmiley
Ruby/Sapphire Veteran

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Do you reckon with this new 3D battle format we'll be able to see the size of pokemon properly? One thing I really want to see is a joltik or wurmple attacking the massive Yveltal but to scale unlike the old games where they looked around the same size either way. Anyone else want to see this?
MY POKEMON BLOG
I'll trade or battle with anyone!
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Ice-Dragon

Nature: Calm
Id definitely like to see that. They'd just need to increase the size of the battle area.
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I don't think that will happen just because I think it's just fine as it is, it would be annoying for a camera view to constantly change between a battle with Wailord, Caterpie, Yvetal, etc.
showdown, gallery, anime, & family
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:14 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I think we'll see the same as like Colosseum, we'll have Wailord scaled down to fit.
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

I think the Pokémon in the battle in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would have different Pokémon at different sizes so it would make the game more realistic. They simply couldn't do it in previous generations due to technical limitations.

And yeah, I'd really like to see the Pokémon at different sizes during battle and maybe in cutscenes as well.
[Platinum Lucario's Signature]
Researching the NDS ROMs...

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
Battling with Pokemon at different sizes would be a definite plus for the games! xD I think they could pull it off quite well due to the 3D advancements they would be having along with the 3DS. Think of how awesome it would be to see the comparison between a battle of a Joltik against a Wailord. xD As for the zooming in and out to view both of the Pokemon's immense size differences, I'm sure GF will find a way to make the transition as smooth as possible and without major hiccups.
All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere;
every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:30 AM
SpitfireYoshi

Anyone think they should look back at Pokemon Battle Revolution for the game?
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Nah, I think they'll keep the models scaled for simplicity's sake. Fighting against Wailord, you'd see nothing but an off-white mass with the majority of Pokemon. Fighting with Wailord, you'd just see its back and probably not even the enemy. Joltik would be the opposite with you not being able to see it when it's in battle with a lot of Pokemon. Even with zoom, the resizing of the other Pokemon would be ridiculous (they'd be dots compared to Wailord and Wailords compared to Joltik).
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Based on what we've seen thus far, I think it's almost safe to assume they'll stick with keeping their sizes scaled down to fit the screen. I can't even begin to imagine what a battle would look like between a monster as big as Wailord versus something as miniscule as Joltik. The difference in proportion between those two, the player might not even be able to see Joltik on the field.
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Victini

.. I certainly hope the sizes won't become completely realistic! ;;

It'd be really awkward to fight with a small 'mon against a huge being like Yveltal or Wailord. Like for instance, I won't evolve my starter this time around regardless of what the evos look like. So imagine how strange it'd be to use Froakie in a match against Yveltal if they become realistic with it... that scaling would be ridiculous. >_<;; It would just make the camera-panning and stuff really awkward...

Last edited by Victini; January 27th, 2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Actually, I think realistic sizes... might be interesting! Or you know, at least scaled to be preceived to be their realistic size. I did like that feature on the pokemon console games; I wouldn't mind if we saw that here.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
i was actually wondering about this last night (yes... thats what i think about in the middle of the night...)
they'll probably scale them down. the reason i say so is that noticed these are the smallest main legendaries since mewtwo. coincidence? i think not!

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Arlo

I would imagine that they'll be scaled such that the big ones will look big and the little ones will look little (like they pretty much already are), but it won't be anything even close to the canon dimensions, just because, as noted already, that would be extremely awkward.
Old January 27th, 2013, 07:17 PM
fffire24
Unhatched Egg

Golurk in the trailer was scaled down a lot, so I don't see GF changing that aspect.
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Forever
let it go

Yeah I don't want everything to be majorly large and I hope everything else continues to be scaled down, given what we've seen has been. Just the gigantic things that Pokemon has makes me think that if everything were much larger it would just be... off.
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Frost Mage

Very interesting idea. I'd think they probably will in some way, but like someone has mentioned before me, I doubt that it would be realistic for us to assume that a Pokemon like Rayquaza will be shown in its full size, even with the new format.
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Hikamaru
now i'm on the outside
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Yeah I don't want everything to be majorly large and I hope everything else continues to be scaled down, given what we've seen has been. Just the gigantic things that Pokemon has makes me think that if everything were much larger it would just be... off.
Definitely agree, if something like Wailord were its actual size it wouldn't fit. I'm still ok with Pokemon not being their actual sizes.
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Fureon
Hex Maniac

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Fureon
I'd certainly like the proper sizes. Some people say it would be "awkward", but how do you think you should feel when fighting someone twice your size? The realistic sizes would add the much needed new feelings to the battle. If a big Pokemon is supposed to be intimidating, give it the right to be intimidating. If a small pokemon is very small but efficient, let it be that. Why not?
Diamond FC: ~ 3525 7462 4684 ~
Black 2 FC: ~ 0090 1344 6825 ~

A little girl, a little guy · In a church or in a school · Little Jesus, are you watching me? · I'm so young, just 18...
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Arlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fureon View Post
I'd certainly like the proper sizes. Some people say it would be "awkward", but how do you think you should feel when fighting someone twice your size? The realistic sizes would add the much needed new feelings to the battle. If a big Pokemon is supposed to be intimidating, give it the right to be intimidating. If a small pokemon is very small but efficient, let it be that. Why not?
I don't mean "awkward" in any sort of "feeling" sense, but in a very straightforward game design sense.

To run with the examples that have been mentioned a few times now - a Joltik is 4 inches tall. A Wailord is 47 feet tall. That means that a battle between the two of them would be a battle between something the size of your hand and something the size of your local Home Depot. If the camera zoomed in far enough that you could actually see the Joltik, you would only see, at most, a tiny fraction of the Wailord - no more than a bit of blue - the equivalent of one brick in the wall of that Home Depot and certainly not enough to even be able to tell that it's a Wailord. If the camera zoomed out far enough to see the Wailord, the Joltik would be the tiniest speck of dust, impossible to see. Either the game would have to stay with one or the other, so you'd never see the other one, or it would have to constantly zoom back and forth, from one to the other. That would be, either way, awkward.
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
I don't mean "awkward" in any sort of "feeling" sense, but in a very straightforward game design sense.

To run with the examples that have been mentioned a few times now - a Joltik is 4 inches tall. A Wailord is 47 feet tall. That means that a battle between the two of them would be a battle between something the size of your hand and something the size of your local Home Depot. If the camera zoomed in far enough that you could actually see the Joltik, you would only see, at most, a tiny fraction of the Wailord - no more than a bit of blue - the equivalent of one brick in the wall of that Home Depot and certainly not enough to even be able to tell that it's a Wailord. If the camera zoomed out far enough to see the Wailord, the Joltik would be the tiniest speck of dust, impossible to see. Either the game would have to stay with one or the other, so you'd never see the other one, or it would have to constantly zoom back and forth, from one to the other. That would be, either way, awkward.
To me, I don't think it would feel very awkward, just as long as the camera zooms out far enough to see both Pokémon. If the Pokémon are at those sizes... it would make the game feel more realistic.

Either way, think of how Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness dealt with those kind of things, it would be pretty much the same sort of thing if we're talking about Pokémon X and Y here.

It just feels unrealistic to me if the Pokémon are made to be the same size as each other. :P
[Platinum Lucario's Signature]
Researching the NDS ROMs...

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:01 PM
PoisonEmeralds
Rookie ROM Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivysmiley View Post
Do you reckon with this new 3D battle format we'll be able to see the size of pokemon properly? One thing I really want to see is a joltik or wurmple attacking the massive Yveltal but to scale unlike the old games where they looked around the same size either way. Anyone else want to see this?
It may be the case on the 3DS XL but probably not on reg 3DS :c
The one and only.
-PoisonEmeralds
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Fureon
Hex Maniac

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Fureon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post

I don't think this should be a problem with a dynamic camera. It's not that hard to make the camera sequentially show one pokemon, then another, then both, some specific angles, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
Either way, think of how Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness dealt with those kind of things, it would be pretty much the same sort of thing if we're talking about Pokémon X and Y here.
This.
Diamond FC: ~ 3525 7462 4684 ~
Black 2 FC: ~ 0090 1344 6825 ~

A little girl, a little guy · In a church or in a school · Little Jesus, are you watching me? · I'm so young, just 18...
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Gyardosamped
entering snake habitat
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to Gyardosamped
Although the Pokémon and battle scenes do look more realistic in what we've previewed so far in X & Y, I don't think we will see any remarkable size differences between Pokémon. I do believe, though, that each Pokémon will look a lot more "realistic", size-wise, than they did in the 2D versions, but we are getting the games on the 3DS after all. As for actual sizes, no. It'd be cool, though, if each specific Pokémon had their own unique size. And it's true what PokémonShinySilver said about Colusseum and GoD. I think the battles in X & Y will look a lot like the ones in those games.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
It will surely have to happen.

It would be beyond ridiculous for the pokemon scaling to be the same as in past games. Else all the legendary pokemon (and Wailord) will appear tiny and mis-proportioned next to smaller pokemon like Caterpie and Weedle.

Sprites helped them get away with that, but they won't get it away with it now. It'll be a lot more noticeable now if they don't get the proportions right.
Looking for X & Y friends, friend code is: 2964-8571-0102
Send me a pm if you add me.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Paradise3
Unhatched Egg

I think it would be a good idea to have Pokemon at least closer to their correct sizes. I mean, maybe they could scale down the MASSIVE ones (like Wailord) and maybe slightly scale up, say, Joltik, etc. But they shouldn't look almost the same size. The way the graphics are make it seem like it's at least a bit more feasible than it was before with the sprites. (If Onix and Caterpie look the same size I'm gonna go flip tables.) lol
In the process of making a nice avatar. Using the current one because I can. Hello there.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here