Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold

Apparently this is a new feature in the game (apparently, not definitely). What do you guys think? How could they utilise this feature/make best use of it?

Discuss.
Arrive without traveling
See all without looking
Do all without doing

Last edited by Kanto_Johto; January 8th, 2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
I'm simply assuming that's just a giant gym puzzle.
Hiroshi Sotomura

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Hoenn
Elite
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
The walls and floor come away iirc, I don't really see how Player Owned Gyms would work either.
Pokemon Spirit Emerald
Coming Soon
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Only way I could see this working, if it was like a mini game, like the battle centres or something like that. A number of people would come in and you could try to set records and become undefeated.

Or, there is a players gym, where anyone can become the gym leader, but you have to defeat the current leader to gain his spot; like winner stays on.

Would be cool, but doubt it would be implemented.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:56 AM
shengar
♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥

Nature: Lonely
Holy goodness, where did you got this?
Whose gonna challenge us? So this mean we gonna have more type of online play?
It would be good if we can set certain rules to fight in our gym.

Pokemon is a Japanese RPG Made By a Japanese Developer With Japanese Audience in Mind I tell You
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
The walls and floor come away iirc, I don't really see how Player Owned Gyms would work either.
It could involve random trainers coming to you rather than the other way around. Though I don't think that's what this is, definitely looks like just that gym's unique puzzle.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:07 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Where did you here this?

I'd like to see it happen as a post-game option where NPC's can challenge you and you could take it online also assuming this is true. But I doubt it will happen.
Roleplay Corner|Forum Games|Pairs|Sig|Arch Nemesis|Pie
"I don't need a quote, I need pie" - Gimmepie
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:11 AM
junior403
The Show Must Go On...

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to junior403
It just hit me! What if this is some kind of extra challenge, done via Streetpass? Each trainer sets up a whole gym, so that they could exchange that info whenever they are nearby! It would be boss to face a customized gym leader, or even get a badge from a friend.
Pokémon White FC: 0905 6502 6800
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:36 PM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
I think that it is a cool feature. Maybe you will be able to create a town, and then players via wifi will be able to visit your town and battle you as gym leader. After they beat you, they can have a badge that you are allowed to create which will be added to their player card for all of your friends to see.

Or it could be a puzzle. :p
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Kaisersaur
Ranger

Nature: Calm
I think it could work almost like the Join Avenue, where you can battle random trainers, gym leaders or even people you've traded or battled with before. Earning points to raise your gym status and decoration or whatever. They could grab the idea of the join avenue shops as to be part of your gym grounds or city territory, where you would have your breeder, trainer, shop clerk, stylist or whatever can make easier for you to train your pokemon.

Customization is always something we've been looking for in a pokemon game

Pokemon X FC: 3995 - 6607 - 6356
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Hm... player owned gyms, sounds interesting but I don't think it would happen. Though at that point in the trailer it really did sound like the gym was really amazing.

But if player owned gyms really did get implemented into the game, I'd really like to see some random people from all over the world battle you for your custom gym badge, which would be something to do with connecting to people all over the world. It would be interesting though.
[Platinum Lucario's Signature]
Researching the NDS ROMs...

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:56 AM
Bey-Heart
Unhatched Egg

Didn't the player own the only gym in Gale of Darkness? I was thinking it would probably be something like that, but what you guys are speculating sounds pretty awesome.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:00 AM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I can't see this being much more interesting than the battle subway or something if this was a thing. Actually, I'd see it as being LESS interesting, since with the battle subway you were working your way towards the leaders, but in this case you ARE the leader. I could only seeing this being fun if you could design your own gym, (which it appears to be if this IS the create your own gym) but even that would wear off pretty quickly I think. Hm, maybe if you could have wifi players challenge you!? (but then it'd just be like a normal battle with you at the disadvantage since you have a monotype). :/
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:54 PM
SpitfireYoshi

This would be a nice feature, sadly that pic (from the direct video) comes after the fact that the picture is after that room with the stary sky and weird lighting looks like the psychic gym.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM
Whistler
Questioner

Nature: Gentle
Maybe the new plot is that you are a hobo who tries living inside different gyms in secret. When the gym leaders find out, you have to make your Pokemon beat up theirs. Eventually you sell enough Pokemon on the Black and White market that you get to buy your own gym! Then all of the previous gym leaders become homeless, and join team Rocket. And that was how Team Rocket was made. :3
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:14 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I agree, it's probably some sort of Psychic gym. Maybe like Sabrina's gym in the anime. The one with the doll house.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:34 PM
Moist
other in a month When you,

Nature: Jolly
It's just a gym puzzle...
My Challenges:

Challenges Completed:
The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:03 PM
OrangeNess
Layton Lover

Nature: Docile
It would be a cool street pass feature, and I would defenentially take part in that as well as possible. I hope that this is correct! (And for the gym puzzle believers, you may be right. I've just got my hopes up!)
Perhaps so, but we've seen it happen with our very own eyes. The answer is out there, Luke - we just need to find it. -Professor Layton
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
wygar
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
Maybe the new plot is that you are a hobo who tries living inside different gyms in secret. When the gym leaders find out, you have to make your Pokemon beat up theirs. Eventually you sell enough Pokemon on the Black and White market that you get to buy your own gym! Then all of the previous gym leaders become homeless, and join team Rocket. And that was how Team Rocket was made. :3

nice! i totally suport this XD.
and let's create a light type while we're at it so that when you finish the game said gym leaders don't simply join TR but also fall to the dark side of the pokeforce!
also i think darth vader should be the new champion so you get to have an epic battle using your brand new, shiny light saber... hmm, sorry i mean light type to defeat him.
oh and right before you fight him he could say something like: X, i'm your father... come to the Y side of the pokeforce!
not only would it give us a reason to have a light type, it also would give us a father for the 2nd time in 6 gens!

oh my, can't wait for it!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:46 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Nah, player-led gyms make no sense at all. Let's say you own your own gym and you get challenged by an NPC. If you win, you get a little money like any other NPC battle. If you lose, you give this NPC a badge and...they disappear because they're just an NPC. It was a fruitless loss.

Let's add in Streetpass and say you challenge someone's gym. You lose, it's like any other loss. You win, you get...a badge? What kind of badge? Is this badge personalized to tailor to that specific person's gym? That results in an infinite number of badges. Do all Streetpass gyms give the same badge? That means you only need to battle one.

There's no suitable reward system if you win and no special outcome if you lose.
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:10 PM
PoisonEmeralds
Rookie ROM Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto_Johto View Post

Apparently this is a new feature in the game (apparently, not definitely). What do you guys think? How could they utilise this feature/make best use of it?

Discuss.
Probably after the elite four they could make it so an extra gym is built for the protagonist? I dunno I feel stealing a gym from a gym leader is kind of mean.....
The one and only.
-PoisonEmeralds
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:14 PM
hpstr
Unhatched Egg

I hope this is true... I can't wait for this game... *0*
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Dennie
Unhatched Egg

It looks damn sweet, tho i wonder will it be 3D? no more topview?
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonEmeralds View Post
Probably after the elite four they could make it so an extra gym is built for the protagonist? I dunno I feel stealing a gym from a gym leader is kind of mean.....
Negative. Typically the person beating the Champion is the new Champion. Being given nothing more than a Gym is sort of a demotion. Thus I will squash that storyline being an idea.

Doesn't mean I don't like it, though!

Cyclone
"Y'know...my Emolga really wants to shock your Dedenne."

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 29th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
I agree with Hiroshi Sotomura, probably just a gym puzzle.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server

I am gone bye
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links