The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Old January 28th, 2013, 07:37 PM
jov0006
Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!

Nature: Modest
It'd be pretty awesome if there was an open-plains zoo where you explore various climates and catch pokemon similar to the safari. I think this would be great for catching pokemon from former gens, what do you think? And if so I would love to see many foonguses in it. NOT.

Participating in the following Roleplays:

Click on the images to see SUs

Old January 28th, 2013, 07:39 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Isn't the Safari Zone pretty much like this already? Or are you thinking about something bigger here?
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:42 PM
jov0006

Something bigger, and you dont have a nasty time limit but of course they will probs be trainers (kids or romantic people) looking at the exhibits. I guess iwith a zoo it could make a pokedex easier to fill.

Old January 28th, 2013, 07:43 PM
GreatTornado
other in a month When you,

Nature: Jolly
Maybe like the zoo in firered/leafgreen in the city with the Safari Zone and Koga as the Gym Leader, I forgot the name.

Challenges Completed:
The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13

Challenges In Progress:
The Location Challenge - Black 2
The Random Pokemon Challenge - Black 2
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTornado View Post
Maybe like the zoo in firered/leafgreen in the city with the Safari Zone and Koga as the Gym Leader, I forgot the name.
That was the Safari Zone in Fuchsia City.
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

Hmm, a zoo? That would be weird. I mean, why would they keep Pokemon in cages unless the evil organization is behind it or something. The Safari Zone and a Zoo is really different but I don't think there will be a zoo :3
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:48 AM
jov0006

Oh no not in cages! They are enclosed in their exhibits by a fence (I hope). Also there should be an aviary and some sort of insect and lizard house.

You could also have an event similar to n and the ferris wheel at the zoo.

Last edited by jov0006; January 29th, 2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I think the Pokémon version of a zoo is indeed the Safari Zone. 'Cause here's the thing, in Generation I... in Fuchsia City, it had Pokémon in enclosures just like any ordinary zoo would have. Then of course... the actual Safari Zone game is actually the open-range zoo, Pokémon style! Hence that is why it's called the "Safari Zone". xD

But yeah, it's something I would love to see return in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:37 PM
jov0006

I would like an open-range zoo 'Pokemon style' except the fact i dont want time/step limits. That made it so annoying to catch pokemon.

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
A zoo where you catch the exhibits... wut? Although I wouldn't mind one similar to Prism, that would a nice idea.
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
A zoo would go against the pokemon way I think, locking pokemon up in cages is something you'd see the evil teams do.

I would like to see a vast African style safari zone though. Something that doesn't feel enclosed.
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewulf238 View Post
A zoo would go against the pokemon way I think, locking pokemon up in cages is something you'd see the evil teams do.

I would like to see a vast African style safari zone though. Something that doesn't feel enclosed.
No, not really. Humans trap Pokemon in spherical airtight compartments for convient travel.

A Zoo would only serve purpose to show off some Pokemon to an area that isn't heavily influenced by Pokemon. A City with no Gym or that doesn't really see the Pokemon Trainer's way of life as something important or just isn't for any of them. The Zoo could show off Pokemon that are so rare that most people never see them like Pokemon from other regions that aren't in the Pokedex Pre or Post E4. It could be a way to fill the Pokedex without having to trade, battle, or receive from events.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Mmmmmm. I wouldn't really be that comfortable with a zoo setting for Pokemon. .__. I mean, the closest thing I'd be okay with is the Safari Zone making some sort of return, but still...
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:45 AM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

I like in a sense the idea of a zoo where you can see Pokémon not found in the wild, or extremely rare to find. This allows you to add them to the Pokédex via interacting with displays. However, keeping Pokémon in cages seems to me to go against the principle of Pokémon, and I doubt this idea would ever come to fruition.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Having a Zoo in the games is a very interesting idea that no-one in GameFreak has ever thought about. I wonder how many Pokemon we would be able to find. I'm sure that they'll all be in the field group too, which will hopefully make these Pokemon easy to breed.
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
jov0006

Maybe there can be an abandoned town where the villains reside and it has an abandoned zoo and playground. Post-game it should be restored into a safari zone or something like that.

Old January 30th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I always thought of the area right before you entered the Fuschia City Safari Zone in Kanto as a type of zoo. I suppose if we were to see something similar like that again would be cool. At the same time, I always thought that the Safari Zone itself was more like an open field zoo as well.

To be honest, when I think back, I'm actually surprised Unova never had its own zoo. Considering how popular the Bronx Zoo is in New York, you would think they would have included one. Or at least given the region its own Safari Zone to represent a zoo.

All that said, to have a zoo or to not have a zoo, whatever keeps PETA out of Pokémon's hairs is all that really matters. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jov0006 View Post
Maybe there can be an abandoned town where the villains reside and it has an abandoned zoo and playground. Post-game it should be restored into a safari zone or something like that.
I really like this idea! Plus, it's something extra for post-game.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
Eeeuuughh...

The entirety of a topic like this would better be discussed in Pokemon general, I feel. I don't want to drag it down, in that all the OP wants to see is a Safari Zone in X/Y without limits, so more of a speculation request. And that would be neat I guess.

But thinking about zoos overall for Pokemon? Uh, that's...

If you are one to think that Pokemon belong in zoos, you are not giving them nearly enough credit. I guess as humans, we only see other humans as being capable of sapient thought, but Pokemon have proven themselves to be this way as well, and that's were things start getting extremely grey. I wouldn't put another human being on display in a zoo like setting, and when people do, they usually call those freak shows. Pokemon aren't robots, either. And yet, there's no doubt that they seem to be fine traveling in a Pokeball, but I guess that's out of a mutual understanding?

The Safari Zone works well enough, because in terms of scale, the Safari Zone would be massive. The boundaries are spread so far apart, that I seriously doubt the Pokemon would have any issue living in that area. The isn't a whole lot there that would make the creature feel trapped, and honestly, they probably wouldn't venture off miles beyond the spot where they made their home. It would be similar to living in a gated community.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get too deep in this, at least here. I just saw the word "zoo" and alarms went off in my head or something, haha.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:30 PM
The_Consumer

I think the Safari Zone covers the idea of a zoo. I can only think of a difference in the name. There could be a zoo, but wouldn't it be the same as the Safari Zone in essence?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:41 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Consumer View Post
I think the Safari Zone covers the idea of a zoo. I can only think of a difference in the name. There could be a zoo, but wouldn't it be the same as the Safari Zone in essence?
A zoo is caged animals (lions, tigers, bears, oh my!) while a Safari Zone is a roaming expanse of animals living in a natural and free environment (like the "gated community" comment earlier).

Also, zoos don't tend to like you taking their attractions.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:22 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
A zoo is caged animals (lions, tigers, bears, oh my!) while a Safari Zone is a roaming expanse of animals living in a natural and free environment (like the "gated community" comment earlier).

Also, zoos don't tend to like you taking their attractions.

Cyclone
Zoo's aren't all cages. I've been to open air Zoos where animals are kept in habitats. The Habitats themselves are dug x amount of feet into the ground and surrounded by a deeper moat to keep the animals from getting to the visitors, but there is only a railing to look over and nothing else separating human and animal.

Only exceptions are the Insect House, Reptile Hose and Aviary. Those are glass and netting then XD

But the Safari Zone from Gen 1 was a Zoo. Not to mention most are based off of Safari Preserves which are open air Zoos in which visitors take tours in a cart with 1 or more well trained guards armed with top of the line tranquilizer guns and darts to keep the animals from attacking/harming guests. Even Safari Preserves keep specific animals "caged" and separated from others of more pr editorial natures when they can.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:48 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Zoo's aren't all cages. I've been to open air Zoos where animals are kept in habitats. The Habitats themselves are dug x amount of feet into the ground and surrounded by a deeper moat to keep the animals from getting to the visitors, but there is only a railing to look over and nothing else separating human and animal.
I am aware of that too; heck, I once tried some Zoo Tycoon game where I had to create these types of habitats (I don't think it has cages). My point is that zoos don't allow their exhibits to be taken home to serve a visitor in whatever they are doing halfway around the world.

Cyclone

Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I am aware of that too; heck, I once tried some Zoo Tycoon game where I had to create these types of habitats (I don't think it has cages). My point is that zoos don't allow their exhibits to be taken home to serve a visitor in whatever they are doing halfway around the world.

Cyclone
Neither do Safari Preserves in that regard. Which would mean Safari Zones are neither Zoo nor Preserves.

In B2W2 you even get to go to an actual Nature Preserve and...capture everything you see to your heart's desire which goes against roughly all ethics Nature Preserves have.

My Point, its a name. They already don't follow what the real world counterparts do. Gen 1 Safari Zone was a Zoo which they fine tuned over the years.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
A zoo would be nice. Maybe we could be given an egg from one of the exibits (all fully or second stage mons) to take home with us.

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
A zoo would be nice. Maybe we could be given an egg from one of the exibits (all fully or second stage mons) to take home with us.
So long as its a Random egg like in Crystal or we get to choose which egg we want, I'd be happy with that. XD

Not like they have to make the Zoo a safari area. It can just be for looks to show off the 3D Pokemon.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links