The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Trade Corner

Notices

Trade Corner Having trouble completing your Pokédex? Looking for a certain Pokémon or have a rare one to offer? This is your forum. Everything related to wireless trades can be discussed here.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
I usually arrange my trades online, where I ask the trader to nickname the Pokemon to my liking. In the case where I am just trying to obtain the Pokemon's species, I don't care about the name- I will most likely just breed it to get desired nature and gender.
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:08 PM
dragonfly_dust
Look at my avatar! Nuff said.

I personally love nicknaming Pokemon. Especially when I make teams and make a theme out of it.

Like the sprites you see here?
Want a custom one of your very own?

Come on down to DD's Sprite Shop~!

Old January 29th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
I love nicknaming Pokemon and when I request a trade with someone, I usually have them nickname the Pokemon for me. I don't ever use the GTS or random trades though, so I can't say I ran into a nicknamed Pokemon that bothered me. I generally don't like all caps names or really crappy names, like Sparky the Shinx or something. It's not that bad, but it's pretty generic.

All the Pokemon I offer in my shop are nicknamed, so if you don't request a new name or the name to be removed, you're stuck with the name. :P I'm good at naming them though!
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Amateur Conductor

I, being the indecisive person I am, generally go between nick naming my Pokemon and not nicknaming them, changing their names with the Name Rater, and then changing their names again.

Like I said, really indecisive.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM
atomtanned

I used to NEVER name my Pokemon, and it drove me crazy when I would get nicknamed Pokes in a trade. But I actually started nicknaming when online trading was introduced. It was always fun to see what nicknames you'd get from other people!

I bought a used copy of Ruby recently and when I turned it on, there was still a save file on it. Some jerk had named his Pokemon all vulgar, gross names, so I renamed all of them and transferred them to another game and erased the file. Kinda silly, but I felt bad for them! I think eventually I might transfer them to Gen IV and offer them as rescue Pokes to people.

Friend Codes
X: Serena {2638-0348-2480}
Y: Allyson {2638-0348-2480}
HeartGold: Lyra {3526-6386-3822}

Challenges:
Pokemon Y Wonderlocke

tumblr || backlog

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
twistedpuppy
Siriusly Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtanned View Post
I bought a used copy of Ruby recently and when I turned it on, there was still a save file on it. Some jerk had named his Pokemon all vulgar, gross names, so I renamed all of them and transferred them to another game and erased the file. Kinda silly, but I felt bad for them! I think eventually I might transfer them to Gen IV and offer them as rescue Pokes to people.
The previous owner of that game was a jerk. If you're going to sell your game or trade one of Pokémon away, make sure the OT/nicknames are age appropriate with the game's target audience. I wouldn't want to be the parent explaining to their child why someone nicknamed stunfisk ********. Not that I've ever nicknamed derpfisk something vulgar. >.>
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Laylaw
"Smell ya later!" - Blue

Nature: Quirky
I actually prefer the Pokémon I receive in trades to be nicknamed. I, myself, nickname ALL my Pokémon. Not because I want to leave my mark or anything, but because it's easier to tell the difference between my Pokémon that way.
If I had 10 Clefairies and was going to trade a few of them away because they didn't get the right nature or whatever, it's much more easier for me to think: "So Barbie, Venus and Cookie have Magic Guard as their ability? Might as well, put them up for trading"
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
JohnnyJ773
Wanderer from Cianwood City

Nature: Modest
I nickname all of my pokemon. I just like coming up with creative names that fit them.

BLACK 2 FC:1550-4719-5621HEART GOLD FC: 3483-2756-6167
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I'm not a fan of nicknames, so I rarely use them on any Pokemon. However, there were a few that I did nickname. For instance: I called my Darumaka 'Moltblob' and Virizion 'Vertelope', because I thought these original names didn't make any sense.
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Shiroi Alucard
White Knight

I as well like to nickname practically every Pokémon I catch, I use influences from different countries and history for the names I choose for my Pokémon.

For instance, I have a Pidgeotto in SS, that I named Ciel-Feng which means "Heaven's Feel" using French(Ciel) and Chinese(Feng). Another Pokémon, Froslass, I named "Weiss Lili" which is essentially White in German and a varient of the name "Lili" after the flower.
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Soile
Eevee Breeder

As a general rule, I don't like them, but good nicknames don't bother me. Like if they named it Poop Face. Or Rachel.

When I actually do nickname pokémon, it's usually just the pokémon I'm using to play through the game, and I generally do it kind of like the in-game trades do it: a play on the name (as an RPer, I probably imagine this is how you'd do it in real life as well if it wasn't one of those made-up, name irrelevant nicknames). My White 2 team is Pora, Sepe, Aefa, Neta, Abby, and Lye. Any guesses?
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:19 PM
ZakFaire
Unhatched Egg

I name all mine after my favorite beverages. Right now, my lineup is "Scotch", "Moonshine", "Tropius"(traded), "Bourbon", "Absinthe", and "Vodka"!
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

I only nickname my starter poke and do not like getting any pokemon NN'ed in a trade at all.
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Dullstar

I sometimes nickname pokemon I'm actually using. Other than that, I don't nickname anything. Depending on the playthrough, sometimes I use nicknames to ID HM Slaves, sometimes I don't. And finally, when trading between my own games, sometimes I have nothing to give the other game in return and will just catch a random pokemon and call it Worthless (and then subsequently release the poke or restart the game, depending on what the trades were done for)

Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
Outnumbered
This is a Sailor's Prayer
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Outnumbered
I don't mind NN'd pokemon. Though I do hate it when i get a NN'd legendary/stupid name. I recently got a Latios named "BURN!" and Volcorona named "DaFukAmI?"

On my SoulSilver I had a Torterra named Twiggy/Twiglet, Gengar named Spook, and a few others I can't even remember xD

As long as these struggles are aimless, we will all be standing still.
Trade Thread3DS FCPair
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
I nickname them occasionally, provided if I know a nice name for it, but most of the times, its me being random.

I don't mind nicknames from the other party, provided if its nice/has a meaning behind it.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old March 27th, 2013, 02:34 AM
CoreyRX8
Unhatched Egg

I prefer to let my trader nickname their Pokemon. I'd rather read out their nicknames as it shows respect for the person and it shows they loved their Pokemon to the end.

SoulSilver Friend Code: 3268 5173 7897
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Mircea Dan
Being Stupid Is Not Cool

Nature: Brave
I hate nicknames...

Lol, that reminds me that I got from the GTS an Gengar nicknamed Satan a couple of weeks ago. )
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Naturalles
OHHHHHHHH!!

Nature: Quiet
I hate nicknames. But I'm not bothered if it was from a trade.

I'm so weird, huh?
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Magykx
It's too cold for you here.

Nature: Bold
I never name my Pokemon. When I receive one with a nickname, I normally just change it unless it's Japanese, then I just leave it because it looks cool. Haha
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

I don't nickname my own Pokemon because I am very uncreative. I don't mind receiving nicknames as long as they aren't offensive or vulgar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magykx View Post
I never name my Pokemon. When I receive one with a nickname, I normally just change it unless it's Japanese, then I just leave it because it looks cool. Haha
What do you mean you change it? You have to cheat/hack to change nicknames from other people 0.o

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old March 31st, 2013, 11:52 AM
Rayziken 2
Beginning ROM Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabor62 View Post
What do you mean you change it? You have to cheat/hack to change nicknames from other people 0.o
Maybe the Pokémon he gets are Basic so they can have their nickname changed when they evolve. Then again, I'm not sure if you can still do that. XD

Spoiler:
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:21 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayziken 2 View Post
Maybe the Pokémon he gets are Basic so they can have their nickname changed when they evolve. Then again, I'm not sure if you can still do that. XD
Pokemon's names only change if they are evolved under 3 different conditions. That would be:
1. Pokemon with capitalized names from previous generations
2. Pokemon with a foreign name
3. hacked Pokemon with a hacked nickname that didn't set off the nickname flag.

If the Pokemon has a legit nickname, it will not change when it is evolved; and chances are; if it's name changes and it isn't a foreign one, it is hacked. Also, there are no Pokemon games in which the nickname changes if it evolves if I recall correctly.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:15 AM
TrainerTori
Growlithe Fan

Nature: Quiet
I dont really mind nicnamed pokemon
I generally trade lvl 1 for lvl 1, so if I dont like the nicname, I just breed myself a new one and trade the original back out.

I did, however, recently trade my personal munchlax, Tubbington, *face>palm* didn't mean to do that.

Old April 5th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Musica
PPPPPDPPPPP

I like nicknaming the Pokemons I use. If I set them up for trading, I leave them with their original names, except the freebies I give from time to time.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here