• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Should they bother with "Move Combinations" again?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
In Black and White there was this thing which was somewhat advertised as an awesome new change within the games, which allowed when starters had certain moves, they would combine and turn into prettier field moves but that's all. Given that while they didn't really receive a great reception, there was still a good basis for something to come from there. Extending it to a group outside of just the starters, and making the moves stronger and actually suited to competitive play, would be one thing that could be done. However, something else comes to mind, with these games being 3D - it would allow for much greater effects if the moves were combined, and graphically would make the move combinations more appealing.

So! Would you like move combinations to return? If so, how would you alter them so you would use them this time around? Would you rather if a group wider than just the starters could use them (and would you add any extra effects - perhaps you might prefer it if any move could be used and "combined"?) Do you think it's a worthy point to advertise, like say "the new and improved move combinations!" or do you think they should be regarded a failed experiment and not brought into this new generation?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
No they should continue em. I don't even think its an experiment, as much as it was just being able to slap on the box, oh look we combined moves now! Give us proper strategy, and perhaps even use combinations to create an already existing move. Like say give us a water Pokemon and an electric Pokemon in a double battle, the electric Pokemon doesn't have thunder yet, but combine Rain and Thunderbolt, and bam you got Thunder! Balance it with the regular thunder accuracy then the 100% give with rain, and you got a winner.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Yeah they should. Perhaps they could make them more like the moves used in the contests in the Anime, that'll be beautiful to see (woah I sound like Ruby...)

Guy

just a guy
Years
It's was a great idea executed poorly. I would love for more move combinations to come into light, however, with much more thought put into them. In Black and White it all just felt poorly slapped together just for the sake of adding something new. I think they have something going here, but they're going to have to try a lot harder with it.

Yeah they should. Perhaps they could make them more like the moves used in the contests in the Anime, that'll be beautiful to see (woah I sound like Ruby...)
I like the way you think.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I would really like to see the move combinations return in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, but I'd like some alterations to the move combinations in the game. This time... I think it should be used in double or triple battles, and it should be somewhat like what the anime is, with the moves combined together to cause special effects to the Pokémon, like say for instance... Water Gun combined with Thunderbolt would have a higher chance of Paralyzing the target Pokémon.

With all these kind of move combinations would make double or triple battles much more amazing.

Thereaperofdeath19

The Rookie
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2018
Nah I never care for combos for pokemon only on other games that make better use of them well that is what I think anyway it is my opinion any else can disagree with me

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
they should add a bunch more and have some pokemon contests again so you can do things like fire ice or sparkling chandelier like in the anime.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I've wondered about this too, but, yeah, I'd love to see the function that allows us to combine moves, like in the anime. I mean, take Ash vs. Tucker. Tucker used a lot of combination moves - such as Fire Blast + Water Pulse to create this Fire+Water tornado fusion that dealt... quite a bit of damage! Not just with specific moves either - it can be with our existing moves; there can be hidden special effects and nice bonuses that come with it. For example, I can see that sing + perish song... might be interesting to use in a combo!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I can't imagine what kind of effects sing + Perish song would have...it's interesting to think about.
I hope they combine all three oaths at the very least to create a powerful attack in triple battles.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
PLEASE. I remember being so excited about it back during the B/W days... and then I completely forgot about the oaths because they were so disappointing.

Like other people have said, I love Contests and I really wish you could combine moves in the games. It would be so amazing...

Guy

just a guy
Years
If its just fire, grass and water, no just no. Thats terrible
I'm with you on that one. Should they bring move combinations back and expand on them, I'd definitely like for it to be with a much wider reach. It was a start with doing it with just the starters, but I'd like for it not to be as restricted this time.

I'm also in agreement with those who'd like to see move combinations done in Pokémon Contests like the anime, especially if contests actually make a return this generation.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
They should definitely keep them, but I'd rather they were expanded. If they open it up, and make lots of possible combinations, then it really would expand upon the strategic aspect of the game. I'd like to see that. I'm in agreement with those that say it could be interesting to see it implemented with anime-styled contests.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Like you guys I'd also like it to be a wider range of Pokemon to be able to use move combinations. Perhaps if it's even only Unova mons, or gen 6 mons, it'd still allow for more interesting combinations than if it was only just starters, which really is nothing exciting. ;(

Years
Honestly double battles just don't happen enough for it to matter. I'm pretty sure unless this game is a huge rework they are going to leave the ones they have now, but do nothing else with it.

It would be really cool if they had like a challenge mode for the Gyms so that you could play through plot points with a friend through double battles. then it would be cool.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm not a huge fan of double battles, so I don't really mind whether or not move combinations would make a comeback, but I'd rather not, to be fairly honest. :x I kind of forgot about Water/Fire/Grass Pledge, as they seem like kind of useless moves anyway, even if they look look pretty. u_u

Well if the moves had their damage output increased would it make you more likely to wanna use them? Because chances are if they aren't making it for a whole range of moves they'll just increase the power of these tbh.

Back