The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Papii
Unhatched Egg

Advertise here
Oh man, I can just imagine how awesome it'll be if they re-added the follow me feature. I would love to have my Blastoise follow me, it'll also be awesome if I could surf on him aswell.

Is there anywhere we can write to Nintendo/GameFreak so that they can take this into consideration?!?
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Synerjee
the oncoming storm.

Nature: Relaxed
I would really love this feature to be implemented!! It would make gameplay all the more fun and memorable and lifelike :D Perhaps when the player hasn't moved for awhile, the following Pokemon could do it's own thing, like venturing out some distance from the player, or doing a dance, or blowing a fireball/spout some water, that sort of thing. :3 When the player wants to call the Pokemon back, there could be an option to whistle to it to alert it back to the player's side or something. That's just my opinion.

About asking GF to implement this feature, I don't know whether they would receive feedback from emails, but one could always try. :3

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

I would love this to return. Thoguh I don't think it will since no Pokemon was following the hero/heroine in the preview/trailer thingy. Though, I would love Xerneas or Fennekin to follow me :3 But on other gens, I would love to make Reshiram follow me :33 But riding Pokemon seems really cool.
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
Hmm, if it had been brought back and the size of the Pokemon were a little more in scale with our character, I'd love to have something like a Diglett or a Wailord follow me around. Other than that, though, I loved having my Butterfree follow me in HeartGold, and I'd love to have that again in 3D.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: BUG // ROCK
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:34 AM
The_Mew

It would be epic to be able to ride on certain pokemon (e.g. Arcanine and Tauros, but not things that aren't able to have a passenger, like drifbloom and hoppip) and have their Pokéathlon speed stat determine how fast they would go.
EDIT; While i was thinking about this: Why not make a Ride HM which would replace the bike?
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:00 AM
Aquaphyre
水が好きな人

Nature: Quirky
I'd like the feature where pokemon can follow you around, but ONLY if you could turn it off when you wanted.... For me it got a little old....

Old January 31st, 2013, 05:05 AM
C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f

Nature: Naive
It's 3D, anything might happen . But I strongly vouch for it, since the follow me thing was REALLY cute, and I was like "Oh, my little Chiko is following me that's so cute!". Riding might be a slight overkill, but hey, all ideas are cool, right?
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:38 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mew View Post
It would be epic to be able to ride on certain pokemon (e.g. Arcanine and Tauros, but not things that aren't able to have a passenger, like drifbloom and hoppip) and have their Pokéathlon speed stat determine how fast they would go.
EDIT; While i was thinking about this: Why not make a Ride HM which would replace the bike?
Riding on Pokemon and a HM to do that would just be... creepy. XD If the feature was to return I think it'd stick to just Pokemon following you or else you might get a re-appearance of N yelling at you :x
Old February 1st, 2013, 04:44 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
I really couldn't have cared less for this feature in HG/SS the novelty wore off quickly and it got annoying since the Pokemon just wouldn't stay still, I personally do not wanna see its return unless it was actually helpful.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:56 PM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

Really why would a simple follow me like HG and SS be nice?I didnt really saw it as anything special.It would be nice though having pokemon when they are small hanging or riding on your back.

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:00 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
I guess it'd be cool if it was more useful, like seeing the pokemon you're surfing on rather than some black blob, being able to actually fly to a location (if you want like in Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs) just more interactive with the HM's, I guess. xD
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Hoenn
Asylum
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
They actually planned to bring the feature back in B2W2, they incorporated around 500 Pokemon following sprites and then left it at that which obviously indicates they originally planned too. Maybe they wanted to hold it off for the Sixth Gen when it would be much more advanced with it being a 3D Game?

Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
atie

Nature: Quiet
I don't really care it would be really nice in 3d but it isn't a let down if they aren't adding it
But I hope they'll finally add the feature that you're actually surfing on the Pokemon who uses surf and not some random Wailmer/Lapras/whatever If I use surf on my feraligatr I want to surf on Feraligatr and not some other ugly pokemon...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gliscor is boss. Period.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I guess it could be fun, seeing as 3D is easier to work with. The limitatons of 2D mean that they really weren't going to make a crazy huge spriteset's worth of unique animations per Pokemon, but in 3D, they could give them some sort of mind of their own.

Here's an example: Say you aren't moving anywhere for a while. The game can now have idle animations.

The animations are based on three criteria: The nature of the Pokemon, the time of day/how much it's been worked, and how much it likes you.

However, to keep things interesting, no dreadfully uninspired and boring animations allowed. Period (like just because the Pokemon's a Caterpie doesn't mean that all it does is blink, if that (or go into a default battle pose). Don't give all the animations to Pikachu simply because it's Pikachu). At the plainest, a Pokemon can look back and forth to get its bearings, but that's it. I feel like if a Pokemon really doesn't like you, after a few seconds, it should get "angry eyes" and then turn its back on you until you start moving again. If a Pokemon has a jovial disposition, maybe it does some backflips in place. If a Pokemon is a trickster or ghost type, maybe it makes a scary face behind your back. Or steals something from your bag (a prop, not a real item) like an apple and eats it. If a Pokemon really likes you, it'll run circles around you if it's small like Eevee or Rattata (and your trainer'll react and have an n_n face or something). If it's bigger, maybe it'll tackle hug you or something.

If it's tired from it being late at night, worked for a long period of time, or is just a lethargic Pokemon like Slakoth, it'll just yawn and go to sleep. For something Poke specific, Skitty could chase its tail, Meowth could count the coins it stashed to itself, etc.

I think just including stuff like this will give your Pokemon more of a sense of being, because as it stands now, they're just weapons with faces. Honestly, that's all I really want to see in these games. Give me some kind of signs of life with these creatures. I just don't understand why I'm playing a game called Pokemon instead of Advance Wars if Game Freak isn't going to make the effort to have me empathize with the creatures.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:41 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I would definitely want this feature to return omg. It'd be so fun to have a caterpie follow me around. Yes, I'd have to go with caterpie, just because it's the first cute pokemon that popped into my head. The list of pokemon I would want to follow me is enormous (sandshrew, golett, dratini, kabuto, bidoof even...) so basically anything adorable would be what I want. I'd love if they could help you out of battle, like if you could use their attacks to complete miniquests or something! And also, it'd be cool if there was a more realistic friendship system, where it was harder to gain a mon's friendship depending on their nature etc. And having them automatically do some actions would be cool too!
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Snivysmiley
Ruby/Sapphire Veteran

Nature: Modest
I'd like pokemon to follow me, but with slightly better scaling, steelix in hg/ss was slightly taller than a ten year old so if they made some big pokemon look slightly bigger then I'd love it
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:24 PM
BlazingLink
Sergeant Serious

Nature: Modest
I loved it when I had my starter following me, especially when I was marching up to Indigo Plateau. I really hope this feature is in again, cause it adds more emotion, kinda, and it builds attachment.

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Thingula
How do you change this text?

I don't expect it to happen, but what if you could go into a room that had all of them just walking around, like in the Dream World?
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Archeops12354
Smoochum

If they are going to make following pokemon return, I would like a proper size scale for each pokemon, like the pokemon would be scaled to their actual size - just like in the anime! Wouldn't it be so cool to have a small bug type buzzing around your character as you walk along, or a bird pokemon (such as Archeops XD) flying beside you as your trusty ally?
I like what some other guy said, you could ride your pokemon! Screw the bikes! In this 3D environment, I think it would be a great feature, the only problem is that you have to get a ride-able pokemon, I mean you can't really ride on a joltik now can you? No.
I would also like to be able to turn the feature off, you know, just in case I get sick of the follow-me thing.

(The size scaling probably wouldn't work if you had a wailord on your team, and it would be pretty tricky using wailord for surfing as well, it's just too big! An onix would work though, it's pretty big but thin at the same time, so it could walk around with you. One way to solve the wailord problem is to not put it in the game at all. There! Problem solved! Who cares if it's not in the game anyway, there are far better water types to choose from.)

Gen 6.
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
It would be cool if all my party Pokemon decided to follow me. That way I don't need to find out which Pokemon I have. It's probably not gonna work for every Pokemon though, as if I caught a Yveltal for example and decided to make it follow me inside a building it would obviously be too big, and it might obstruct the camera's view as well.

So, I do like to see it return; GameFreak may not have realized how useful this feature can be.
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeops12354 View Post
If they are going to make following pokemon return, I would like a proper size scale for each pokemon, like the pokemon would be scaled to their actual size - just like in the anime!
Not all Pokemon were properly sized in the Anime. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...C3%A9mon_anime

There isn't any way to properly size them and allow for easy gameplay. They'd all be scaled up or down similar to how they were in HG/SS and in D/P/Pt.

That said. I really do not want this to return. I did not like them using it and found it a huge waste of data that could have been better put to adding more attacks or in game content.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:28 PM
MidiMasterShiro
Music Hacker/Composer

Send a message via Skype™ to MidiMasterShiro
I really don't care whether this feature is added in or not. But, it would be pretty useless if they did add it in. Not to mention the data it will take up since they would most likely have to remodel every Pokemon again just to put it in the overworld.
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:58 PM
WishCookie
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Nature: Jolly
I would like them to add the follow me feature again While they're at it, make an option where you can choose when you want it to follow you or not.

Diamond: 3782 4821 8857
HeartGold: 3740 9024 2026
Black: 3181 8256 6904
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y: 1993 8202 9620
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidiMasterShiro View Post
I really don't care whether this feature is added in or not. But, it would be pretty useless if they did add it in. Not to mention the data it will take up since they would most likely have to remodel every Pokemon again just to put it in the overworld.
Other than picking up a few items here and there, the Follow-Me feature was never supposed to be seen as something useful. It was really more or less an aesthetic change from the norm and another selling point to HG/SS at the time.

I would love to see it back, but as an optional feature. Sadly, I find it unlikely unless otherwise shown. Playing White2 right now and seeing a number of Pokémon out and about makes me realize they could have kept this feature in Gen V, but chose not to. So I'm guessing the Follow-Me was something of an exclusive to HG/SS until they decide to pick it back up again, if ever.
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Fennevyrom
Oh and charizard XD

Nature: Quirky
It would be wonderful having a pokemon following you in 3D but riding them would be pure epic. Especially if you traded a zekrom over lolz or rayquaza, imagine riding them! You should also be able to play minigames while surfing/flying/digging/waterfall scaling. I would love that.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here