The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Which gym layout you preferred?
Older style gyms 11 25.00%
Newer style gyms 33 75.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:08 PM
dragonfly_dust
Look at my avatar! Nuff said.

I don't mind either setup as long as I'm prepared to face that gym leader...

Like the sprites you see here?
Want a custom one of your very own?

Come on down to DD's Sprite Shop~!

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Heartouch
Bokura no Memory
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
I like both old style and new style of Gym layout, although I'll vote for new style because the puzzle there are so appealing (like Burgh's B2W2 puzzle for example).
PC Family | PC Blog | EGC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Newer style, definitely. Gym leaders have started getting the respect they deserve with nice, lavish gyms and well-thought-out puzzles that scale in difficulty to match the actual gym leaders. The final gym in B/W was great because it was big, flashy, and required some thought. It made the gym experience feel so much more incredible.

The Elite Four visual upgrades are the same. Platinum changed the atmosphere of an Elite Four member's room and that simple visual upgrade really boosted the intensity of the moment.
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:55 PM
waveguidebuizel
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
Like most people here, I like the newer gyms, as they tend to require more thought. Though I think the formula's been pretty consistent throughout the generations (where the first two or so gyms have no puzzle, and every gym after those [with some exceptions] do have a "puzzle"). It's just that the puzzles have evolved over time (trash search-->electric doors-->spinning gears, etc.) that makes it seem different, in my opinion. Though despite that, like I mentioned, we still have those gyms where you can just fight/skip some trainers and face the leader. (Hmm, we've yet to have a rock gym puzzle...)

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Autumn Reverie
The world bores you when you're cool.

Nature: Modest
DEFINITELY the newer gym styles! I loved the puzzles in the gyms. They gave an oomph to the gameplay and made them challenging and exciting, as well as also making use of the awesome graphics and the amazing 3D effects. Fighting all the trainers in the gym along with the puzzles also makes reaching the gym leader all the more rewarding, giving your Pokemon that extra training they need. Just imagine: walking across a flat, plain floor with perhaps walls here and there for decoration, the pathway to the gym leader clearly visible with the trainers not even meeting your line of sight. Where's the fun in that, may I ask? Where's the challenge?!
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:57 AM
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

Nature: Quirky
Definitely puzzles for me, it doesn't have to be overly complicated, even just the rides in Bugsy's Gym or the opening of light little by little in Brawly's can be fun

I think the one I struggled most with was Candice's, just cause one of the snowballs confused me but I got it eventually lol
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:59 AM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
As much as I love the old gens, the newer are better because of the puzzles...:/

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:45 AM
KriegStein
Nuclear Reactor

Nature: Lonely
Hmm. I admit I like how the new gyms look and the puzzle aspect is also ok. But I dont like it if they force you to battle everyone. Its not like you came to the gym to challenge the leaders inadept students. NO! You came in to take the leaders head. (figuratively speaking) I dont mind couple of fights and stuff but when it would go to the point that you are fighting and endurance match against the whole gym it kinda loses its point. (atleast to me) Although skipping everyone else in the gym might also be a bad thing. I dont now. I personally would like the gym leaders to be more challenging. (I dont mean charmander vs brock style) I mean they should be the 8 strongest trainers (in official duty atleast) outside Elite Four. So I think Ill say that the older ones... But yeah...thats what I think.

Old February 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Dullstar

To be honest, as long as they're well-designed, I don't particularly care.

Puzzles are fine, as long as they're not poorly done. Puzzles like Clay's in B2/W2, though. That was terrible. It was mostly just, run around until you find the platform that connects to he one you want, which could be anywhere.

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullstar View Post
To be honest, as long as they're well-designed, I don't particularly care.

Puzzles are fine, as long as they're not poorly done. Puzzles like Clay's in B2/W2, though. That was terrible. It was mostly just, run around until you find the platform that connects to he one you want, which could be anywhere.
it wasn't that bad XD, but yeah i wouldnt want to see that again.
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:48 PM
JohnnyJ773
Wanderer from Cianwood City

Nature: Modest
I like the newer gyms cuz of the puzzles and and you have to fight your way through trainers to get to the leaders. It brings out the characteristics of each gym

BLACK 2 FC:1550-4719-5621HEART GOLD FC: 3483-2756-6167
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Playful_Weasel
I just want to play!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I love the challenge and the complexity of the newer style of gyms, and getting lost too. Happened a few times in Black 2. I also enjoy challenging every trainer in the gym before the gym leader, taking advantange and enjoying the game as much as possible + making my own team stronger all the time.
Watchog's #1 Fan!!
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
- FC on Trainer Card
Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Caelus
Gone

I end up battling every trainer I meet in a gym anyway. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to that, so the new gyms having more trainers isn't a problem at all. From what I've seen the newer games have better, more creative gym layouts, so combined with more trainers (and therefore more experience) I prefer the newer gyms over the older ones.
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:21 AM
RPX
seclusion

Nature: Hasty
Definitely the newer ones. It makes the game more fun and challenging, instead of just breezing through the gym with walk through walls. Some puzzles are actually really challenging, but fun! I enjoyed walking through Tate and Liza's arrow tiles in Ruby, even after defeating them. Some puzzles can be really boring though, like Wattson's. The gym could have been bigger, then I would've enjoyed it. Winona's puzzle is repetitive, and it's just boring. But overall the newer style is better, for me anyway! C:
Old February 24th, 2013, 12:21 PM
The Sly Fox
Community Supporter

Newer style Gyms are so much better. More fun! It would be so dull without any obstacles.

Old February 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM
LHT
Time Devourer

I like the new style with the obstacles, it's more innovative.
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Nathan
too lazy
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I like newer styles. Puzzles are more innovative and funnier IMO.

nathan @ vm | pm | FF.net | pairs | bishie
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:37 PM
toasterr
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Impish
I'm torn - a gym with just a leader is boring, but some puzzles (Sabrina's teleport puzzle, Surge's trashcan thing, every ice puzzle ever) are either based on luck (read: loading states) or just obnoxious. Some gyms, like Drayden's in BW2, were rather well done, though, so I'd say those types above all. Just keep me away from ice puzzles.
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:43 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
I prefer the new gymnasium designs as they are interesting, creative and often times, puzzling. The fact that I have to face every Gym Trainer is a bonus. More fights; more EXP. And you can also prep for what the Gym Leader may have in his arsenal.

It's a win-win situation in both design and contents for the new Gyms. I love 'em.
Old March 28th, 2013, 01:01 AM
JoeSchneider
Unhatched Egg

Newer, because I really dont try to avoid gym trainers, so i can level up my pokemon

Lv 44Lv 44Lv 46
Gym Badges: 7
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Vegetunks937
The Superior Fusion

Nature: Hardy
I prefer the new style. It's like a puzzle before the fight. I like fighting in the new style gyms.

Legendary Trio Challenge
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
To be honest, I really couldn't care less about the new-style gyms with their desire to keep challenging you before you get to the actual Gym Leader. My favourite Gym of all time is Blue in GSC because it's so simple and has no tricks involved. The Leader him/herself is already quite tough, so why torture the gamers with even more challenges?

But, after reading this thread, it appears my view is definitely in the minority. Oh well. :D

Sponsored Links