• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Advance Generation Question & Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Quick question concerning Feebas in Ruby/Sapphire.

I understand that he's on 6 water tiles west of Fortree (with a super rod), but does anyone know the percent chance of running into one assuming you're on one of the right tiles? Is it 100% or should I be fishing multiple times per tile trying to find one?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Quick question concerning Feebas in Ruby/Sapphire.

I understand that he's on 6 water tiles west of Fortree (with a super rod), but does anyone know the percent chance of running into one assuming you're on one of the right tiles? Is it 100% or should I be fishing multiple times per tile trying to find one?

I'm pretty sure it's still possible to find Carvanha and Magikarp on those tiles, though Feebas is far more common still.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
FRLG is different than its 1st gen counterparts because of Sevii Islands after the endgame, you could catch Johto Pokemon there, and you could even catch Legendary Pokemon like Suicune. And the Saffron City gates are now asking for a Tea in FRLG rather than Soda Pops or Lemonades in RBY.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The plot is all the same except for the post game. You have to complete the Sevii Islands stuff before you can go into Cerulean Cave to catch Mewtwo though. Also, after the Sevii Islands stuff, once you have gotten the Ruby and Sapphire (items in the game, not the actual games) you can trade with RSE, Colosseum, and Gale of Darkness. The Elite Four also gets stronger the second time you face them, like how they do in BW and B2W2.

Obviously the graphics and music are enhanced, and you can play as a female character. There are some moveset upgrades (like Charmander learning Metal Claw) which you can look at on Serebii's Pokedex.

If you're about to buy this game online though, make sure it's from a reputable buyer and if you're not sure, feel free to post a picture of the game you're going to purchase and we'd be happy to let you know if it's fake or not. The best way to buy older games, especially GBA games since they're often faked, is to go to a local game store. I know most people don't seem to have one, but it's a much better option than buying online. Actual stores make sure they're buying real games.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
... continuing from what Sydian said, a few words of advice to those who want to buy Gen 3 carts online and don't know how to tell the real from the fake (I've had a bad experience myself when a vendor sold me fake GBA carts) :
  • First of all, the carts themselves. Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald carts are more or less see-through, you should be able to clearly see the PCB (printed circuit board) with good lighting. FireRed and LeafGreen are less so, but aren't completely opaque, you should be able to see the PCB's shape, complete with multiple holes, but that's it.
  • The labels on the cart must have the Nintendo Seal of Quality, the "The Pokémon Company" written in small black letters, the Nintendo logo, and a code (example: on my French copy of LeafGreen, it's "AGB-BPGF-FRA") , plus other logos that vary by region (example: I have a CE logo on my LeafGreen, AFAIK it only applies to European releases). The label itself must look a little "metallic" and have a two-digit number pressed on it. It is also a good sign if the label is worn-out (which means this is a ten years old cart that was actually used, not a recently manufactured fake) .
  • On the back of the cart, you should find the Nintendo logo, and two lines of text: "MODEL NO.AGB-002" and "PAT. PEND. MADE IN JAPAN". Some particularly "gifted" bootleggers manage to misspell "Nintendo" on the logo :) . The screw should have a tri-wing drive.
  • If you look inside the cart at the bottom, you should be able to see the Nintendo logo printed in white on the PCB.
  • Although the presence of a battery inside a GBA cart is usually a telltale sign that it's a fake, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald carts are supposed to have them to keep the internal clock running. FR and LG however are not supposed to have batteries.
  • Once inserted into a GBA, a GBA SP or a GB Player, the cart must not stick out.
  • Two definite signs of a fake RSE cart: after the title screen, a text box simply saying "The game can be played" appears, and the internal clock only runs while the game is running (although the latter can occur with the real deal, if the battery is out of juice).

And, just in case someone asks "Why should I care if it's a fake as long as it's working?", here's why:
  • These carts use batteries to save, just like GB/GBC carts, but unlike the latter, they mostly use cheap batteries. Which means your saved games won't remain there for long.
  • Also, I've read that some fake carts actually use batteries to save not only the save files, but also the games themselves. If the battery runs out, the cart becomes completely unusable. I can't be sure, but I think that's what happened to a fake FireRed cart I bought: it did not run at all, and my GB Player behaved like no cart was inserted.
  • Specific to Pokémon: the save file can also get wiped after conquering the league or trying to migrate Pokémon to Gen 4.

One final word of advice: if you live in a country which had localized releases of Gen 3 in a language other than English, you'll be better off ordering the game in your language, since the bootleggers usually pirate English versions.

Gzomyndzor

Nature/Egg Move/IV Breeder
Years
Reflect or Light Screen?

I'm playing through Fire Red and I have a Wigglytuff who can learn both Reflect and Light Screen. Assuming I can only use one, which would be the most useful in this gen? Are physical attacks more common than special, or the other way around? How does this weigh up against my team having, on average, lower special defence than defence?
Thank you for your time :)

Last edited:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
It depends on the rest of your team too, if their Def/SpD is balanced than it's really up to you, but like Master Xemnas said Wigglytuff itself benefits from Reflect a little more.

Years
Elite Four

So, I started on my LeafGreen a while ago and I picked it up again the other day, I started my game thinking all was well, but then it felt like my entire world was being crushed by ten thousand Wailords - I was faced against the Elite Four.
I tried going up against them with my Charizard (level 67), Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Onix and Dragonair (levels between 53 and 49) As soon as Lorelei whips out her Lapras I get pwn'd every time.
Could someone tell me what team would be most effective against them? What levels I should train them up to, how many of which items I should have, etc.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
The exact team should get :
-A fire or electric pokemon(Zapdos-Raichu-Charizard-Moltres)against Lorelei
-A grass pokemon(Victreebel,etc...)Against Lorelei and Bruno's Onix
-An ice pokemon with Ice moves(Articuno, Lapras)against Bruno and Lance
-A water pokemon(Lapras,Poliwrath,etc...)
-A flying pokemon(Pidgeot-Fearow,etc...)against some of Bruno's pokemons
-A dark pokemon(???)against Agatha.
All should be between lv60-70. Buy some Full Revive-Max Potion-Max Restore.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The exact team should get :
-A fire or electric pokemon(Zapdos-Raichu-Charizard-Moltres)against Lorelei
-A grass pokemon(Victreebel,etc...)Against Lorelei and Bruno's Onix
-An ice pokemon with Ice moves(Articuno, Lapras)against Bruno and Lance
-A water pokemon(Lapras,Poliwrath,etc...)
-A flying pokemon(Pidgeot-Fearow,etc...)against some of Bruno's pokemons
-A dark pokemon(???)against Agatha.
All should be between lv60-70. Buy some Full Revive-Max Potion-Max Restore.

There are no Dark Pokemon during the main game of FRLG. You can't buy Max Revives either.

Anyway, you'll want good Electric and possibly Fighting types (or moves, cause it's good to have your Pokemon have moves of different types for coverage) for Lorelei. Dark moves you can get as well, as she has a Jynx and then Agatha later has Ghost types. For Agatha, you'll want a good special attacking Pokemon that's preferably not Psychic type, but has Psychic. Or if you want a Psychic type, make it a fast one, like Starmie. Starmie has great coverage movesets. If you get Starmie, have it know Ice Beam, Surf, Psychic, and Thunderbolt. Ace. Some of Lorelei's Pokemon are weak to Electric as well.

As for Bruno, he has two Onix so that Starmie I mentioned will be fine for his whole team. Lance will be weak to that Ice Beam. If you want a more bulky Water Pokemon though, you could go for Lapras, who can have the same set as Starmie that I mentioned, though it's not gonna have as much speed or power. But I know some people prefer bulk over force.

Blue is difficult to talk about since your starter determines his team, but once you get that sorted out, you can come back to ask more questions.

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
Need to know some opinions: sapphire versions

I need to know why my copy of pokemon sapphire is no longer working properly:
below is some details of my problem:

1. My internal battery ran dry 10 weeks ago, and i replaced it, using electrical tape to hold it in place.
2. The message telling me the battery was dry was no longer coming up.
3. Recently, the game started up with the message "The internal battery has run dry. The game can still be played. However, clock- based events will no longer occur."
4. I found out that my battery had simply slipped out of its placement, and that the game could not read the battery.
5. After i placed the battery back in, the game no longer showed the message.
6. I checked to see how long the battery had been undetectable, and the internal clock was functional.
7. I went to Mossdeep Space Center, to check up on how many rockets had launched, and the man did not say the number of launched rockets, but said "The rocket's launch is immenent!"
8. I checked up on all of my planted berries, and discovered that the berries were not growing.
9. I checked the Lillycove mart, where i had a close out sale that was supposed to happen that day, and there was no sale person.
10. I checked the clock again. Still working.
11. The next day, the clock stopped working, too.
12. I am using a copy of Emerald to take care of my berry needs, but i had 10 weeks on my space center.
13. I have regional competitions next January, and i needed deoxys so i could train my team better via link cables. I no longer have that option.

What do I do? I have over 300 pokemon on my pokedex, so restarting the game is not an option. Is there anything I can do?

Also, the game still does not say the battery has run dry. Is there someone from Nintendo who can help me? I have a lot of extra achievements (2 stars, 19 ribbons, record of 50 wins in a row for battle tower, and 63 Elite Four victories), so unless there is a way to do a data transfer, i do not want to replace the game.

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
Clock based events will no longer occur (pokemon emerald)

So I got the message, 'the internal battery has run dry' and I decided to replace the battery as I just started a new game and I wanted a Milotic which involves growing berries etc. So I successfully replaced the battery and I no longer receive the message. But after placing a Pamtre berry which takes 72 hours to grow I realised it wasn't growing (this was after at least 50+hours so it should have sprouted at least). So a little bit worried I went to the Lottery corner and it said 'please come back tomorrow.' This was worrying as the last time I did the lottery was again 3 days ago. I then went to the clock to see if that was working and the in game clock works fine! I don't think it can be the berry glitch as it affected Ruby and Sapphire from my understanding so I'm worried as to why this isn't working...?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I need to know why my copy of pokemon sapphire is no longer working properly:
below is some details of my problem:

1. My internal battery ran dry 10 weeks ago, and i replaced it, using electrical tape to hold it in place.
2. The message telling me the battery was dry was no longer coming up.
3. Recently, the game started up with the message "The internal battery has run dry. The game can still be played. However, clock- based events will no longer occur."
4. I found out that my battery had simply slipped out of its placement, and that the game could not read the battery.
5. After i placed the battery back in, the game no longer showed the message.
6. I checked to see how long the battery had been undetectable, and the internal clock was functional.
7. I went to Mossdeep Space Center, to check up on how many rockets had launched, and the man did not say the number of launched rockets, but said "The rocket's launch is immenent!"
8. I checked up on all of my planted berries, and discovered that the berries were not growing.
9. I checked the Lillycove mart, where i had a close out sale that was supposed to happen that day, and there was no sale person.
10. I checked the clock again. Still working.
11. The next day, the clock stopped working, too.
12. I am using a copy of Emerald to take care of my berry needs, but i had 10 weeks on my space center.
13. I have regional competitions next January, and i needed deoxys so i could train my team better via link cables. I no longer have that option.

What do I do? I have over 300 pokemon on my pokedex, so restarting the game is not an option. Is there anything I can do?

Also, the game still does not say the battery has run dry. Is there someone from Nintendo who can help me? I have a lot of extra achievements (2 stars, 19 ribbons, record of 50 wins in a row for battle tower, and 63 Elite Four victories), so unless there is a way to do a data transfer, i do not want to replace the game.

If the battery is dead, it's dead. idk about the replacement not working. That's not my forte. My concern is that you're talking about the Space Center and Deoxys and regionals. 1. The Space Center rumor about getting a Deoxys from the space launch thing isn't real. It doesn't work and there's no way to get Deoxys in a gen III cart anymore other than hacking. 2. There are regionals for a gen III game next January? That's a bit strange. Unless you mean you need a Deoxys from gen III. Which like I said, won't happen unless you hack it, which is looked down upon and I don't think it'd be allowed in anyway.

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
The Cartriage was new when i bought it. I have over 300 hours on it. Had it since it came out. I have copies of ruby and emerald too, but i cant find them
The game is real. I know how to tell a fake from the real thing. and a fake also wouldnt last this long before having these problems. i am afraid i may have damaged an interior piece of the game card, and now it wont check the battery.

Also, If the doexys thing isnt real, then can someone explain the white rock next to the space station? my friend says that you can change deoxy's forme

the regionals are for all of the most recent game, and i want to finish my pokedex and use a copyswap so i can keep my team in sapphire and still be able to battle with them when i get pokemon x and y when they come out

So I got the message, 'the internal battery has run dry' and I decided to replace the battery as I just started a new game and I wanted a Milotic which involves growing berries etc. So I successfully replaced the battery and I no longer receive the message. But after placing a Pamtre berry which takes 72 hours to grow I realised it wasn't growing (this was after at least 50+hours so it should have sprouted at least). So a little bit worried I went to the Lottery corner and it said 'please come back tomorrow.' This was worrying as the last time I did the lottery was again 3 days ago. I then went to the clock to see if that was working and the in game clock works fine! I don't think it can be the berry glitch as it affected Ruby and Sapphire from my understanding so I'm worried as to why this isn't working...?

did you stick any tap on the board and then have to peel it off? it may be a wire problem. thats what im guessing, judging from these comments.

Just out of interest, how is FR/LG different to its 1st gen counterparts?

i think its the fact that they have the after-game quest to get the ruby and sapphire to make them able to communicate. Emerald version was made because ruby and sapphire werent perfect, and people wanted to play some games with the two remakes, so emerald has the ability to trade from the start. Plus, Emerald is most like the manga. FR and LG were made because of the problems there were with ruby/sapphire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back