The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Forever
let it go

Which English names (of Unova mons) did you find most creative and why? Which were your favourite English names in general, even if they weren't necessarily "creative"? Share your love of the English names~~~
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Castform
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
Alomomoloamoalomaloaloma!

I found Alomamola's name to be creative because it is a palindrome and bit of a tongue twister. It is really fun to say 5 times fast. I also found Chandelure to have quite a good name.

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Vei
Unhatched Egg

Not in relation to it's name having an awesome meaning or anything, but I found Samurott's name pretty dope.
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Oshawott has always been my favorite name because it's so much fun to say. I even forgave GF for not calling it Wotter because I've grown to like Oshawott so much.
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
I liked the name "Haxorus" because it has that really cool sound to it. Also, I loved the name Vanilluxe because omg who doesn't like ice cream! Pokemon + ice cream in one name is absolutely the best to me (:

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:45 PM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Bold
Favorite name for a pokemon is Scrafty. He's also my favorite Gen 5. I just like it I guess.
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
For some reason I really like the name Whimsicott. It's really fun to say and I like the combination of whimsical and cotton. Also Krokrok and Krookodile cause they're also really fun to say and "Scrafty." It's one of my favorite Gen V Pokemon and it's name is cool sounding.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I have quite a few fave names of the Unova Pokemon, and loads were sorta creative.

My faves would have to be Elgyem and Beheeyem, especially if you were smart enough to know their names come from LGM (Little Green Man) and BEM (Bug Eyed Monster) and given they are based on aliens, this sorta fits.

I also liked how cool the Deino evolutionary line's names sound, the names come from "ein" (Deino), "zwei" (Zweilous) and "drei" (Hydreigon) which are German for one, two and three respectively.

Then another one I liked was Whimsicott, I liked the combination of "whimsical" and "cotton" and heck, it even has Prankster as one of its abilities.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:22 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Hydreigon's name was very creative, IMO, as not only does its line contain the German words for 1, 2 and 3, Hydreigon's name itself is the most interesting out of them.

I also like "Samurott", simply because it's a samurai sea otter.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:06 AM
Forever
let it go

You all know I love everything Unova produces. Except Druddigon... Crimgan was muuuuuch better, but w/e I didn't like the Pokemon in the first place. OH OH! Maractus is creative, and Volcarona actually Volcarona is extremely awesome. When I first heard Lillipup I was like "WHAT IS THIS? IT MAKES NO SENSE I WANT YORTERRIE ;_;" and in a way I still kind of want Yorterrie :x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
I also like "Samurott", simply because it's a samurai sea otter.
Ya Samurott is awesome sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicentfan1 View Post
Alomomoloamoalomaloaloma!

I found Alomamola's name to be creative because it is a palindrome and bit of a tongue twister. It is really fun to say 5 times fast.
Plus combine it with Amoonguss and it fits perfectly!

Also I like Golurk because it's like it's telling you to go lurk somewhere in the shadows which is awesome. OH AND REUNICLUS AND DUOSION AND SOLOSIS!!!

Okay I like everything... :(
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:14 PM
Heartouch
Look up to the stars.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Heartouch
I personally like "Serperior" because it looks superior.
PC Family | PC Blog | EGC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:49 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Anything remotely scientific! Reuniclus = 'Nucleus' is a good example.
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:08 AM
C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f

Nature: Naive
Haxorus was pretty cool. Axe + Horus(The Egyptian War God) is awesome. Similarly, Tepig might be plain and simple, but it's perfect for it. Roggenrola (Rock and Roll) is OMGLOL of the world, too.
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:07 PM
Brendino

Nature: Quiet
I was a sucker for Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres' names, so I really loved what they did with Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon. Another one I really like is Genesect. I used to tend to forget it was part Bug-type, until it dawned on me that the second half of its name is referring to "insect."
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:36 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I love the Tepig evolutionary line's names: Tepig, Pignite and Emboar, and also the Sandile and Axew evolutionary lines. They're just a simple connection of two words that join together perfectly.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:35 PM
RandomTrainerWhoCould
Yo

Nature: Relaxed
Not related but the best japanese name ever is hahakomori(leavanny)

Favorite bw english names are: Alomomola,haxorus(it crits everytime, hence the hax part), Reshiram(because I love the way user Justinrpg says it), and mienshao(because it's fun to say)

Also @ nica alomoonguss is gross :]
Hax is supposed to happen. Scald has a 100% burn rate(willowisp w/ perfect accuracy); paralysis has a 75% chance of kicking in; Rock slide misses more than stone edge; Hustle= 50% more power at the cost of 100% accuracy.
I get haxed a lot and the hax gods who are the gods of hax hate me I'm sad :[
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:08 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilurn View Post
I love the Tepig evolutionary line's names: Tepig, Pignite and Emboar, and also the Sandile and Axew evolutionary lines. They're just a simple connection of two words that join together perfectly.
Ya Emboar is the bestest. I remember when it was first announced and I figured it was better than Boarbeque and it sounds so badass. Great decision really GF. Tepig sucks compared to Pokabu though imo.
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
Hm, there were a lot of awesome english names! I liked sigilyph a lot, it's really fun to say. Also, maractus rolls of the tongue nicely. Druddigon is a pretty smart name I feel, much better than a lot of other dragon names which are just boring. (dragonite I'm looking at you). Roggenrola is a good name too, because it feels really creative even if it's kind of random haha. Oh and I also love alomomola. ALOMOMOMOMOMOMOMOMOLA is just so amazing omg.
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Mr. Whiscash
Unegged Hatch

Nature: Sassy
I actually thought Pansage was a good name despite being a GIANT LETDOWN. Alomomola appeals to my love of palindromes though.
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whiscash View Post
I actually thought Pansage was a good name despite being a GIANT LETDOWN. Alomomola appeals to my love of palindromes though.
Pansage is... idk. It could've been much more creative, like, Hiyappu, Boappu, Yanappu were more interesting while it's just stick a pan and sage together and BOOM. And repeating Simi/Pan for all of them just didn't really make them feel unique imo.
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
in retrospect though, they did exactly what the japanese did with the monkeys. all three of their names have 'appu' and their evolutions 'kkie' at the end of them. so does it make the japanese names not very unique as well?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links