The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:26 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Would you say people around you are judgmental or racist?

If so, what do you tend to do about it when you have an opportunity to do so?

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:13 AM
Esper

Someone I work with is pretty racist. Without realizing it, I think (but isn't that most racists). She'll say something every now and then and I try not to call her out on it, but to show her that she's wrong without saying outright that she's making an assumption. Usually I'll give a counter example and that seems to placate her for a while.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Don't know anyone that's really racist, we joke sometimes but that's it. If I'd know someone who was then I wouldn't care if they weren't close to me anyway, I don't understand why others bother with people like that if they aren't even important to them.
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:55 AM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I do know at least one very racist person. Normally I just keep my mouth shut, unless I feel like picking a fake fight with them.

People can think whatever they want. Often when people make remarks against my race, I either find it funny- or agree with them.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)

Last edited by ⊗Slenderman⊗; January 31st, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:35 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I probably know someone who is, I would ignore them though if it came up.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:50 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

90% of the residents of where I live are old white Christians who spent their lives harshly judging others because it was what society encouraged them to do as they grew up

aaand they're not nearly as bad as the Jerky McJerkfaces who I call my "friends". We have a group chat going on Facebook and about half an hour ago they were discussing the pros and cons of working at various fast food locations based on the racial compositions of the communities around these locations. That's the nicest way I can say "They agreed that they don't want to work at the McDonalds near (2 of) them because too many black people go there".

I'm not gonna lie, I hate 2 of my closest friends a lot because they're walking, breathing examples of why people hate the South. They're racist, homophobic, gun-loving, woman-hating pieces of crap and I hate talking about anything other than video games with them.
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:57 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

I would just feel mad at them and call them an idiot inside of my head, but I wouldn't say anything. :(
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Caelus
Gone

Sadly a lot of my family members over in Europe are pretty racist. Granted, they live in a society where pretty much everyone is white, but I don't think that should give anyone a reason to look down on others because of their race.

And down here in the south there happen to be some racists that come to my school, but fortunately I think it's a pretty small group.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM
revere
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
My family members aren't racists imo, but they can be racist-like at times, at times. But students at my school were BORN to be racists, ugh. They talk about... nah I shouldn't say.
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:15 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
If anything mainly just jokes, and only if the people around aren't offended by them, I for one love a good Mexican joke, despite being Mexican xD
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

My parents are really racist lol. They're always judging people on the streets wearing garb from other cultures and shouting at the TV about immigrants and how they as taxpayers have to support them. It sickens me a little bit, but I'm not gonna cause a fuss about it. They've never said anythingracist to anybody of a different race, so as long as they keep it between themselves I don't really care. I don't really wanna hear it, but I don't care enough to make it into a big deal.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:01 PM
daigonite
Don't be afraid of the dark
Community Supporter

You have to be careful with what is "racist" and what is not. Some people for example think I'm racist for using the term "black" as opposed to "African American" (which I don't use because they may not be African in decent or American in current nationality), for example. Some people at work thought it was racist when I felt bad for black families who came in to take photos on the Christmas background a few months ago, only to show off so dark that it's difficult to make out their faces. I don't get some people.

If there is an obvious hating intent, I don't have anything to do with those kinds of people. Period. But I think that what counts as "obvious hating intent" or "violation of political correctness" are two totally different things though.

A related example, it's like my best friend is a blind guy. I make jokes about it all the time - ranging from him shooting lasers out of his twitching eyes, killing everyone, to dumb drivers running him over. People stare at me and act like I'm an ******* but he's laughing with me, and I'm there for him when he needs help from me for whatever reason, and honestly isn't that the kind of **** friends do? It's our way of playing around with each other and it makes us both feel natural with each other. Political correctness is lame.

It's the same thing really with racism. I will bet you that much of the time when people are being "racist" it's more like they're violating political correctness and don't genuinely hate a certain race or whatever.
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Toutebelle
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Not many of the people I know are racist. Most people I know are pretty accepting - even the elderly. New York is quite liberal. Even most of our Republicans are pretty tolerant.

I usually use "African-American" to refer to people whose ancestors most likely came here on the slave ships - as opposed to immigrants from the West Indies or Africa. But mostly I say black.

I despise political correctness. One website I used to go to actually complained about the word "actress" because it's a word with a feminine suffix. Yet no one seems to have a problem with words like goddess or priestess. Maybe it's the image - "priestess" gives a very different image than "priest" (the male form would remind one of a Catholic priest, whereas the female form would probably conjure something more along the lines of paganism).
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
I prefer the term judgmental. I think racist is a pretty harsh word. Anyways, whenever someone's judging something/someone, I keep my mouth shut. I don't really say anything, because I respect other people's opinions, no matter how harsh it may be.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old February 13th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Everyone's a little bit racist, even if they don't think they are. Some of the stereotypes about certain groups of people are true, but we shouldn't judge them based off of them until they display those characteristics. But yeah, some people I know are judgmental, but I don't really know many racist people.
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

If they are, I don't notice it. People probably think that about me, though, because I say a lot of things that most people would consider to be racist.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links