The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Andrut
Collecting dust since 1898

Is it possible to implement Emerald style double battles in Fire Red?
It's a forest guardian that pities how bad a type Grass is, so it gets moves to help out Grass-types, but is smart enough not to be Grass-type itself. The appearance is simply mimicry to hide from humans.
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:00 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoax View Post
Is it possible to implement Emerald style double battles in Fire Red?
Anything can be done. However, it would require an exteme amount of ASM knowledge and understanding of how to break apart everything and isolate the routines you need. For anyone without a "masters degree" in rom hacking, yeah, it's impossible. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Paired with Simba
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:26 PM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Okay question to A-map users:

Let's say I want to map a bridge over a canyon, I need the behavior byte "Block is covered by Hero", so that when I cross it I'll be on it.

But what if I make it possible to go to the lowerest level of the canyon, and walk under the bridge , and since the behavior byte is "block is covered by Hero" i will be on it again.

How'd I do it that when i acess the bridge from down, that the hero is covered by the bridge, as it would be irl too, and that when I acess it from the high level that Im on it.

I hope I explained it kind off well, if not I'll post screenshots to be more clear.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
Okay question to A-map users:

Let's say I want to map a bridge over a canyon, I need the behavior byte "Block is covered by Hero", so that when I cross it I'll be on it.

But what if I make it possible to go to the lowerest level of the canyon, and walk under the bridge , and since the behavior byte is "block is covered by Hero" i will be on it again.

How'd I do it that when i acess the bridge from down, that the hero is covered by the bridge, as it would be irl too, and that when I acess it from the high level that Im on it.

I hope I explained it kind off well, if not I'll post screenshots to be more clear.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

Nice big section near the end of this tutorial^

Paired with Simba
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:45 PM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=161616

Nice big section near the end of this tutorial^
Figured that out in a sec lol ty, but new problem lol

Since I don't use a bridge type like that but another one, this:

I need now to get it right so that I'am able to walk under it when I come from the green path, but when I walk on the red path, that the 2 ledges(red bubbles) are unwalkable, if i set a 1, I wont be able to get under it if i come from the green path.

Any ideas?

Last edited by ~Anbuja; January 29th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:18 PM
karatekid552

Quote:

I need now to get it right so that I'am able to walk under it when I come from the green path, but when I walk on the red path, that the 2 ledges(red bubbles) are unwalkable, if i set a 1, I wont be able to get under it if i come from the green path.

Any ideas?
Just follow the tutorial. C's on the green path, 0's at the ends of the bridge, and 3C's on the bridge. Also, make sure that the behavior bytes are correct.

Lastly, if you drew bridge yourself, make sure in the block editor that the block is set up to pass under. So, the left frame of the block should be the ground or a background color, while the right frame is the actual bridge.

Paired with Simba
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:35 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:

Any ideas?
Have the all of the railing's behaviour and background bytes set to 00. Then once you've made your bridge in A-Map set their movement permission to 0xC or whatever movement permission you've set to go under the bridge. This way while the tiles may look like they're connected to the bridge from the player's perspective they will have the behaviour blocks which are underneath (i.e be covered by/ impassable to the player when on top of the bridge and the oposite when underneath). You could kind of liken it to an optical illusion :P
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Jim Boob
Freelance Mapper

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Boob
I am looking to start a new hack, and want to use a ROM base, however I all ready have a very good title screen inserted on another rom. Is there a way to harvest the title screen from the old rom and insert into onto the new rom base?
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:26 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boob View Post
I am looking to start a new hack, and want to use a ROM base, however I all ready have a very good title screen inserted on another rom. Is there a way to harvest the title screen from the old rom and insert into onto the new rom base?
I think it's easier/safer to re-insert, now that you have the tile map and stuff already done. Though if you're really keen in transferring it over you could just patch the ROM Base over the ROM with the Titlescreen. I think that method is not very safe though, so make a backup.

Tell me what happens, I'm using you as my guinea pig for knowledge on possible future references :P.

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
I believe this question has been asked before, but I can't find it...

Is it possible to "expand" the regional dex instead of giving the national dex in fire red? I mostly mean for the sake of looking at the pokedex.

In other words, I would like to receive the regional dex at the beginning of the game, open it up and see all 386 pokemon slots (or at least have that potential when you fill it) instead of 151. But still use the national dex special as a trigger for all the late-game stuff, even if it doesn't directly add capabilities to your pokedex.

Is this possible?

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:16 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
I believe this question has been asked before, but I can't find it...

Is it possible to "expand" the regional dex instead of giving the national dex in fire red? I mostly mean for the sake of looking at the pokedex.

In other words, I would like to receive the regional dex at the beginning of the game, open it up and see all 386 pokemon slots (or at least have that potential when you fill it) instead of 151. But still use the national dex special as a trigger for all the late-game stuff, even if it doesn't directly add capabilities to your pokedex.

Is this possible?
Several people have done it, so you should be able to find some information or someone who did it.

You could also just give the player the national dex in the beginning, and 'fake' it later.

Paired with Simba
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:33 PM
SpadeEdge16

So i saved some maps that ive been making, then moved them to a clean rom, but when i uploaded the maps and inserted them, this happened...it wont let me access the next route, even though both routes are open at this point, and i've checked and saved the connections on both maps. Why is this happening? Im sure it had something to do with the process of inserting the new maps, because these worked fine on my test rom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connection.jpg‎ (146.9 KB, 6 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:55 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
So i saved some maps that ive been making, then moved them to a clean rom, but when i uploaded the maps and inserted them, this happened...it wont let me access the next route, even though both routes are open at this point, and i've checked and saved the connections on both maps. Why is this happening? Im sure it had something to do with the process of inserting the new maps, because these worked fine on my test rom.
Check the movement permissions in those portions of the map. Is it set to "0" or "C"?

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:37 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
One of the map connections may need to be the "-" version of what you set it as. Try putting one of the values as negative and seeing, if not, try the other way around.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old February 1st, 2013, 06:24 AM
Flame999

Nature: Calm
one question how would i go about getting a pokemon roaming in fire red if there's a thread the put a link to it I'm just wondering as r/s/e has lati twins and Fire red has Legendary dog based on your starter but is it possible to add one or two?
- New Tiles
- New Trainer sprites
- New Map for Hoenn (replace Sevii islands)
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Gym leaders
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Elite four and Champions

Last edited by Flame999; February 1st, 2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: forgot to put something in
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:05 AM
BullZai
Unhatched Egg

I have this question, and I'm sure it has been asked a hunderd times, but with the mighty power of google and the forums search engine I been unable to find a solution. Although I found one person with the same question, the answer was simply "There shouldn't be a problem."

(This whole problem concerns XSE and Advance Map)

The problem is that I've made this quite big script consisting of 250 lines, which i'm not sure is completely working, and I'm trying to compile it in my ROM. I've tried the most used ways of compiling that worked for me when I had to use it for message scripts, but the ways I tried it is by clicking the gears, and the batch compile tool. I already loaded the rom in XSE.
I also tried to put both the offset i used after #dynamic and the offset the compile-menu gave me with the @start.

When I insert the script offset, and I open it, the script consist of an line, followed by #org 0xOFFSET.

Sorry for asking the question that is asked a million times, but search engines don't give me a valid answer. If I need to be any clearer, just ask me, and I'll just clarify it.
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
Is there a way to define a trainer's pokemon by a variable? For example, telling it to use the value stored in var 0x5000 as the species of pokemon?

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old February 1st, 2013, 12:22 PM
Jim Boob
Freelance Mapper

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Boob
I am having some issues moving tiles around. I have created a lot of maps on one tile set that I want to insert into a rom with a different tile set. So my logic is if i move the tiles in the second rom around so they are in the same places as there equivalent tiles were in the original rom I should be able to insert the map without distorting it to much.

However I think my method for doing this is wrong.
I go into A map >>> open the new rom >>> block editor >>> picture >>> save tile set 1.

Then I open tile set 1 in paint with the intention of moving the tiles around but when I open it up in paint half the tiles are just black.

Sorry I have always been awful with tiles
- Jim
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:03 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
Is there a way to define a trainer's pokemon by a variable? For example, telling it to use the value stored in var 0x5000 as the species of pokemon?
See my response to you in the script help thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame999 View Post
one question how would i go about getting a pokemon roaming in fire red if there's a thread the put a link to it I'm just wondering as r/s/e has lati twins and Fire red has Legendary dog based on your starter but is it possible to add one or two?
I'm pretty sure JPAN included this in his hacked engine. See the documentation for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullZai View Post
I have this question, and I'm sure it has been asked a hunderd times, but with the mighty power of google and the forums search engine I been unable to find a solution. Although I found one person with the same question, the answer was simply "There shouldn't be a problem."

(This whole problem concerns XSE and Advance Map)

The problem is that I've made this quite big script consisting of 250 lines, which i'm not sure is completely working, and I'm trying to compile it in my ROM. I've tried the most used ways of compiling that worked for me when I had to use it for message scripts, but the ways I tried it is by clicking the gears, and the batch compile tool. I already loaded the rom in XSE.
I also tried to put both the offset i used after #dynamic and the offset the compile-menu gave me with the @start.

When I insert the script offset, and I open it, the script consist of an line, followed by #org 0xOFFSET.

Sorry for asking the question that is asked a million times, but search engines don't give me a valid answer. If I need to be any clearer, just ask me, and I'll just clarify it.
Make sure you are running XSE 1.1.1. I have had some problems with the old one not branching out and finding the other half of long scripts I have written.

Now, the @start offset must be the very first dynamic offset in your script (which I am sure you know). Take the offset given to you by XSE and put it in A-map. Verify that it is the exact same number, just preceded by a '$'.

If just checking for mistakes doesn't work, please post the script for us to look at. (Please use [spoiler] or [code] tags)

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 1st, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:23 PM
Flame999

Nature: Calm
Karatekid could you put a link to the documentation on here or pm me the info
- New Tiles
- New Trainer sprites
- New Map for Hoenn (replace Sevii islands)
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Gym leaders
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Elite four and Champions

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame999 View Post
Karatekid could you put a link to the documentation on here or pm me the info
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=194241

Download v1.1

Please read about his hack first, it is very, very useful.

Paired with Simba
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:31 AM
BullZai
Unhatched Egg

Karatekid, thanks, the script is now compiled!

I now have another problem.
When I insert the right offset in Advance Map, and i click on open script, the offset that opens in XSE is different.
Example: The offset in AM is 7209382, then I click open script, and the offset changes to 2093872.
Any solutions for this problem? Thanks in advance.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullZai View Post
Karatekid, thanks, the script is now compiled!

I now have another problem.
When I insert the right offset in Advance Map, and i click on open script, the offset that opens in XSE is different.
Example: The offset in AM is 7209382, then I click open script, and the offset changes to 2093872.
Any solutions for this problem? Thanks in advance.
Why are your offsets in the ram?

Offsets in the game need to be xxxxxx (6 characters). The only way they should be different is if you are specifying which part of the ram they are in, which you don't need to do. (This is why 08 is put in front of offsets, it specifies that the location is in the rom.)

So, go back and find the proper offset that you compiled. It should look like $XXXXXX in A-map and 0xXXXXXX in XSE. Good luck.

Paired with Simba
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:58 AM
BullZai
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Why are your offsets in the ram?

Offsets in the game need to be xxxxxx (6 characters). The only way they should be different is if you are specifying which part of the ram they are in, which you don't need to do. (This is why 08 is put in front of offsets, it specifies that the location is in the rom.)

So, go back and find the proper offset that you compiled. It should look like $XXXXXX in A-map and 0xXXXXXX in XSE. Good luck.
I don't know if it is normal, but with your help i found it out. The problem was i copied the offset because i'm very lazy instead of just typing it over, and it seems like copying adds an random 7 to the offset, making it a character too big. You're really helpfull!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
cancho

Do you know how to use Sappy for other games?
It displays:
Couldn't find the song table. This game probably doesn't use M4A at all, or at least a different version.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links