The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
How do you identify the line between "getting on someone's nerves" and getting someone "ticked off"? To me, those are identical. Getting on someone's nerves = annoying them = ticking them off. Is getting on their nerves not a negative feeling in your definition?
Getting on someone's nerves means you're annoying them. Ticking someone off means you've made them angry. At least, that's the distinction I've always made.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I just love posting an opinion people hates and then seeing how they all get mad by it.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
Getting on someone's nerves means you're annoying them. Ticking someone off means you've made them angry. At least, that's the distinction I've always made.
I guess. I just don't make much of a distinction because annoyance is still a negative emotion. And if I knew someone was trying to annoy me for their own kicks, I would be really pissed off and hurt if they were my friend. That's why I just can't understand it. Where's the empathy for other people?

Although I guess slightly sadistic people always existed, they just didn't have such a wide audience as they do now on the internet.
PM
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Crux
Evermore

Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
@LilJz1234:
Yeah! *highfive*

As for the trolling thing...
If you're getting angry about something that some random guy/girl/other/itsatrap said on the internet then you are taking yourself way to seriously.
I enjoy trolls/trolling it's meant to be irritating, abnoxious, and ridiculous.

{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Quote:
I guess. I just don't make much of a distinction because annoyance is still a negative emotion. And if I knew someone was trying to annoy me for their own kicks, I would be really pissed off and hurt if they were my friend. That's why I just can't understand it. Where's the empathy for other people?

Although I guess slightly sadistic people always existed, they just didn't have such a wide audience as they do now on the internet.
Lol, I read this and for a second I was like "what in the world is she on about" then scrolled up and ohhhh. I'd not seen the whole trolling discussion before now. Yeah - neither annoying nor making people angry on purpose is alright, online or offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234
You know... some employers demands that you add them on your friend's list and some might even go to the length of asking your PASSWORD.

I'm talking about Facebook, btw.
I... what. Where've ya seen this happening? @__@
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Irritating them is just, well, irritating them. Which, to me, is a momentary thing that doesn't last after I've stopped. Ticking them off is more like something that would stick around and mess up their day.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not good at wording things, obviously.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Oryx
Community Supporter

RL I thought you were going to rein me in for being too harsh and I was all set up to say

Quote:

Sorry little bear
THEN YOU DIDN'T
PM
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Ahahaha sorry to disappoint ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slenderman
Irritating them is just, well, irritating them. Which, to me, is a momentary thing that doesn't last after I've stopped. Ticking them off is more like something that would stick around and mess up their day.
Someone being irritated definitely isn't as bad as someone being angry and definitely doesn't last as long or hurt as much, I'll give ya that. Don't see why that makes irritating people deliberately alright, though.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Oryx
Community Supporter

I wouldn't walk around giving people papercuts just because those are generally forgotten about fairly quickly, as opposed to punches in the face.
PM
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
But injections of heroin spiked with cyanide, that's my type of trolling. metaphorically, of course

Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:35 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

So on other notes... did anyone hear about Youtube having channels that you'll have to pay to check out?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:39 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Really? They have that now? Well, then I just won't watch them…

Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Wow, seriously? People will do anything for money nowadays.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote:
I wouldn't walk around giving people papercuts just because those are generally forgotten about fairly quickly, as opposed to punches in the face.
Hey, I got punched in the face not too long ago and I wasn't even mad or angry at all. Not even the tiniest bit of rage.

But there lies my problem. Because of how awesome I am as an individual when it comes to dealing with ****, I have the expectation that other people should also be able to handle things at a similar level to me. So when I used to harass people or whatever I'd expect them not to be too phased by it but this isn't always the case as I've come to realize in more recent times. I'm beginning to really understand that not everyone can be as good as me when it comes to certain things (and vice versa too, fine I won't be totally up my own ass here haha). It's one of the few things I've managed to truly comprehend while soul searching.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

I don't use youtube often enough to have noticed. I usually just use PC and facebook.

I still don't see much problem of irritating people. :? Seems like people are just overly sensitive about it. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited by ⊗Slenderman⊗; February 2nd, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:53 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

I feel that you should just feed them a bit and then ignore them.

It's just like feeding a baby, you need to give them food but not to where they're full of it.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

So... troll = baby?
Interesting. x:
Then again, their screaming all night does get really annoying.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
Oryx
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakow View Post
Hey, I got punched in the face not too long ago and I wasn't even mad or angry at all. Not even the tiniest bit of rage.

But there lies my problem. Because of how awesome I am as an individual when it comes to dealing with ****, I have the expectation that other people should also be able to handle things at a similar level to me. So when I used to harass people or whatever I'd expect them not to be too phased by it but this isn't always the case as I've come to realize in more recent times. I'm beginning to really understand that not everyone can be as good as me when it comes to certain things (and vice versa too, fine I won't be totally up my own ass here haha). It's one of the few things I've managed to truly comprehend while soul searching.
Yeah I had to spend some time learning that as well. I was a complete hypocrite; if someone told me not to get so upset over something I would get pissed off because who were they to be the arbiter of my emotions, but at the same time I would tell other people that what they're upset about wasn't important enough and that they were "overly sensitive", indirectly declaring myself the arbiter of their feelings. Since then I've matured a lot (hopefully!) and taught myself that just because I may not be upset by it, that doesn't mean the people that are upset by it are too sensitive. Just different. It took a lot of work and I still trip up sometimes, but it's a more empathetic and less egocentric me. :)

Slender, if you punched Drakow in the stomach he would probably stare at you in mild confusion. If you punched me in the stomach I would probably pass out. Am I "overly sensitive" for reacting that way? Physical harm is the same as emotional harm - people are different and react differently to different things. If you're messing with someone and you expect them not to be hurt physically by something and they are, do you tell them it's their fault for being overly sensitive? If you know that a good amount of the people you encounter would be physically hurt if you ran headlong into them, would you continue to do that to strangers? You still have a lot of maturing to do.
PM
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:03 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Let's not get into a fight.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

That isn't how I meant it.
I can't really explain at the moment, considering I'm on the phone. I'm unable to concentrate enough to think when I'm attempting to hold a conversation. But at this point I don't even want to bother explaining. I see no point in the conversation, honestly.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

But Drakow, don't you do karate? Of course if you got punched in the face it's normal haha. I do MMA but when someone punches me in the face I don't turn into The Hulk and go on a rampage since that's what you would be expecting doing contact sports
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Oryx
Community Supporter

Sorry if you don't find it important enough Dipu, but trolling actually affects a lot of people a lot of the time. People literally kill themselves over trolling. When someone starts trying to argue that what they're doing isn't morally wrong, it's reasonable to get upset over it.

Edit: on a less serious note, I could never do a contact sport. I did just start doing sport-like exercise recently though!
PM
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

I'm not saying I don't find it important, Toujie, cause I do. I know very well how bad trolling is and what it can lead to, I've seen it on the news. I just don't believe this is the right place for it. I always looked at this as a place to kick back and relax, not debate about stuff. Sorry if I sound messed up or something. ;;

But I do agree with Toujie, ftr.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
But Drakow, don't you do karate? Of course if you got punched in the face it's normal haha. I do MMA but when someone punches me in the face I don't turn into The Hulk and go on a rampage since that's what you would be expecting doing contact sports
Yeah but I don't really do contact karate - although I've gotten into that recently at another dojo. When I train normally it's just very light contact stuff so barely touching. My karate is more focussed on kata - applications of the karate techniques - rather than sparring and competitions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5b5iT2Gx-E

Like that for example. I was doing light freestyle sparring with my opponent but I think we both took it a bit too far haha. I didn't think I was hitting him that hard but I can underestimate my strength at times so I think I was hitting him harder than I thought so when he had the chance to wallop me, he took it.

So for me, getting punched in the face is not normal and I didn't have any head protection and he wasn't wearing any gloves either so I took the maximum impact from his punch. I had to hold back the tears. In MMA, with the gloves and helmets and stuff I really do imagine getting hit in the face wouldn't be that big of an issue at all. I could have gotten really angry at him. I could have been like "dude what the **** don't you understand about "light, freestyle sparring" but I didn't.

Last edited by Overlord Drakow; February 2nd, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:20 PM
Oryx
Community Supporter

Even with the gloves and the helmets I would still probably pass out tbh.
PM
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here