The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:55 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
How good are you at testing, in comparison to everyday life?

What's your favorite type of test? (eg multiple choice, short answer, short essay, essay, oral, all that good stuff)

Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:19 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Eh. My memory sucks, so that makes it difficult. So I'm not exactly the best at tests. x;
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

I'm horrible at test. I'll always pull my hair out of my head whenever I have to take an exam lol. My memory is so bad at retaining school stuffs.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Gyardosamped
entering snake habitat
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to Gyardosamped
I'm actually quite good at retaining information on the condition that I have not procrastinated and have spent time studying and reviewing the material that is going to be on a test beforehand. I do admit, though, that I get very antsy and nervous on tests, and I think this is my downfall when it comes to being able to finish tests on times. When I finish a test, I'm always thinking the worst in mind, like if I possibly failed it or something, when in fact I'm just overreacting. I guess you could say I have test anxiety?

My favorite type of test would have to be multiple choice, although people think that MC tests are the easiest, when in fact they can be pretty difficult. In the end, though, it all depends on how the teacher/professor formats their tests.

Last edited by Gyardosamped; February 2nd, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I'm great when it comes to tests but I'm terrible with everyday assignments because in my eyes, tests actually pertain to what I learned more than group work or making a poster ever would.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

I'm okay at tests if I know the stuff. Can't just wing it.

I like multiple choice and I think timed writing tests are stupid.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:49 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
I'm good at taking tests... in fact I'd like to have as many as possible, because I'm pretty much guaranteed to do well on them, even if I never studied or paid attention in class. For example... in my Psychology class we just had a big test, and I missed some class, never took notes or studied, and didn't read any of the book at all, when we were supposed to read several chapters. I got 98%.

That said, I struggle A LOT with doing large amounts of homework or large projects. Speeches used to be pretty much impossible too, but I think I've more or less overcome that. Oh and don't even get me started on essays. I would rather die.
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:27 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Tests? You're looking at the dude that has never passed Chemistry in my life, along with that, my Maths tests are always cursed with careless mistakes such as putting 'plus' instead of 'divide', seeing wrong numbers and others.

My favourite would be short answer, cos I could any how do it, instead of Multiple Choice, which all look correct.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:08 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
What's with all the maths hate V__V

I have a good memory and strong logical ability to boot so I've always been reasonable at taking tests.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:27 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

While I don't enjoy taking tests I am pretty good at them. I do get very nervous though beforehand even if I have studied hardcore for one. My favourite kind of test would have to be multiple choice. Like a post before me mentioned, many think they're really easy but in fact they can be quite the opposite. Especially ones requiring maths to solve (chemistry, physics, mathematics), because examiners often make each optional answer very close to each other, so it's almost guaranteed if you make a slight miscalculation you'll get the question incorrect.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:13 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I am a bad test taker as I do not have a good memory even though I had studied
Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:43 PM
Sammi
I change my usertitle as often as PC changes slogans
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
If it's multiple choice, I rock it. d("d) Always had high standardized tests. I went into the SAT blind and got pretty good scores, although my essay portion was crap. I also did a food safety test that was multiple-choice and got a 98%, and that's after years of not being in school and thus taking tests. /bragging

All the other kinds, I do well if I know the material. If I don't, I don't. It's really as simple as that.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Yoshikkko

Oh boy I am absolutely terrible at taking tests unless they are oral or an essay. In both I have more chance/freedom to explain myself.
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Multiple choice and short answer were always my game, but I've always tested very well overall. I hated essays but I always did very well in them.

I was a model student angel child etc

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Correspondence

Everytime I study I end up staring at walls for hours instead of studying so yeah not the greatest test-taker.
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I hate doing tests. I don't study until last second and I usually do well. But not always. My favorite tests to do though, are multiple choice. Otherwise I tend to suck. Oh and I'm sometimes good at essays.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old February 4th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Inferna
hello stranger, i'm a disaster

I'm okay at it, really depends on the type of exam! I'm much better at essay writing than I am at Maths. I have a pretty good memory so it's just putting what I've learned into practice.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:59 AM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Test taking is one of my talents. I really have no idea how I got so good at it, but I wish I could provide advice to those who aren't so good :U
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:18 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I don't think I do well in tests, but I do well enough to pass. I like multiple choice questions because I can figure the answer from what's being presented.

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM
The Sly Fox
Community Supporter

I suck at test taking. I'm not sure why to be honest, it's not that I don't know the material, I just can't focus most of the time when taking them xD But as far as favorites go, I'd say multiple choice. I'd say they're easier.

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Oh, God, I have a terrible case of test anxiety. Doesn't matter what subject, I just freak out internally during an exam and it takes me a while to get my bearings. That said, I usually pass my exams.

Favorite type of test, though, is multiple choice.
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:02 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I've gotten really bad at test taking since starting college. I think most of the blame is from lack of self-esteem from a select class I've attempted twice and gotten scores <40% on, and unfortunately that's impacted my other classes, but I'm stepping up my game.

I got my first two test grades back this semester, a 90% and a 95% cx

I had one test today where I had to hand-write five pages on lined paper, my wrist hurt like hell and I got a little distracted from the pain towards the end of the exam so I know I didn't put as much into it, so I'm guessing that one is in the B range.

The entire time I was literally thinking, 'why can't I just type this, why can't I just type this' lol :/

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
I am awful at testing. I can study all night or even all week (which I have done twice last semester btw) and the information will still fall out of my brain come test time. I really can't stand when teachers say that certain things will be on the test, and they're not. :/ Or when they give you a study guide and then there are questions on the test from things that you never went over in class, which happened today on my intro to theatre test. And it wasn't just me. I walked out with a few people and all of us were just like, "We never talked about any of that stuff on page 2, did we?" "Nope..."

It's seriously a big pet peeve of mine. You shouldn't screw around with your students like that, especially when it comes to college courses and it's a class like my intro to theatre class. For one thing, it's irrelevant to my major. Second, it's one of those throw away courses for an art credit. You think they'd be more lenient knowing most if not all the people in that class are only there because of the silly American education system requiring them to have these random credits they don't need. Pre-cal for elementary ed majors, I'm looking at you. And for the record, I have taken theatre classes all during high school and enjoyed them. The teacher for this one is just...nuts.

This was about testing ugh not my rant about the crappy set up here. Sigh. I like multiple choice tests, especially when teachers have fun with the answer choices. I once had a question on a sociology test which was, "What are feral children?" and one of the choices was, "The children of Will Ferrell" lmao I'm okay with short answer as well, because it gives me a little more freedom to say what I want to say and how I want to say it. Essay are awful tests. As good of an essay writer I am, those are just a bit too stressful for me and I feel that, since an essay is typically going to be about a concentrated subject, you focus more on that rather than the collective things you learned. It's less to study, but you're not gaining anything from it once you're done with it. idk that's just me, I don't expect others to feel the same on that.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night

Last edited by Jak; February 6th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
I'm actually surprisingly good at taking tests. I'm lucky to be naturally good with retaining info for school. I like short answer questions the most for all subjects except for Math. Then I'd rather have multiple choice.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old February 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Guys. Retaining information has nothing to do with how good you are at taking tests. The question isn't about if you're good at learning things, it's if you're good at taking tests. Test-taking is a skill completely outside of if you know the material.

That being said, I'm great at taking tests. I've never had an issue with them - I don't always score well obviously but the scores have been consistent with how well I do in class or better, which means tests work for me as a gauge of if I've learned the information. I'm especially good at essay tests, not sure why. Probably because my natural writing style is good according to my teachers so even if my information isn't 100% perfect the style makes up for it.

Sponsored Links