• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Pokemon Fr/Lg Edit Gamefreak text/Logo on intro

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2013
Hey, Today i will show you how to edit the Gameshark Text and Logo on the intro of Fire red/Leaf Green.

First of all you will need these programs:
unLZ-GBA
Photoshop (Or Paint)
Fire red rom
Emulator (Viewing it!)

You should already have these but just making sure :3

Right let's get started.

First of all open your rom in unLZ-GBA and goto 211
82639365.png

You should be looking at something like this.

Now we need to make it look normal/Editable!
Click the '+' button until it looks like this.
28830097.png

Now we have our image, click 'save as' and call it what you like then open it in photoshop or your editing program (i used CS5 Extended)
94886817.png

Now we have our image loaded, We can start editing!
I'm not sure of a palette offset yet so i just used white text, if you find the offset please comment with it.
But i think you can only use black and white so i did this:
17429667.png

Now we have out image, Save it and go back on unLZ-GBA and click 'import' and choose the image you just edited/made.
23218815.png

Now once this has loaded and aslong as no error message saying 'Image not indexed' then click 'Write to rom' and check all the boxes like this
50110351.png

and press ok. If a message comes up about being to big then goto Free Space finder and i'm sure you'll know how to do this. If not then leave a comment and i'll tell you.

Carrying on, Now that it's in the game it should look like this
27522904.png

and we are done with the text part of it. You don't have to have text it could be logos etc but it's upto you really. :3

Looks okay but would be a lot better with a custom logo behind it, Right?

Well now i'll show you how to do that.

First load unLZ-GBA back up if you closed it and goto 212
32810951.png

If your in 16colour mode and B/W it should look like this anyway so just go ahead and save it and open it up in photoshop or paint and start editing but make sure to use only the colour included because i'm not sure what the palette offset is :(

65870591.png

Here is my newly made logo, lt's something i made a while ago for youtube and thought i may aswell use it in my rom somewhere!

Okay so now we have our new logo we need to import it again like with the text goto unLZ-GBA and click import and find your logo and then goto write rom again and check the same boxes here.
21339628.png

As long as you didn't get a message about Being to big and aborting then it should be find and in your game now, So load your rom and check!

Here's what mine looked like in the test and in my Rom hack i'm working on at the moment
61081189.png

33751457.png

Hopefully this worked for you and you found this tutorial useful!

I will try and find the palette offsets for the text and logo so you can change the colours but i'm currently trying to edit the gengar and nidorino intro battle which i have almost figured out and will be posting a tutorial soon if i do figure it out :P

But thanks for looking at this and hope it helped!

Keromatsu

Froakie is Awesome!
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
Nice Dude :D I am gonna try it out... Btw how did you erase the blue color

MrSandman64

Pokemon Moon Creator
Years
I found out the pallet offset for the game freak logo but unfortunately I forgot it. But BlitŻ's tutorial:How to pallet ANYTHING should help you find it.
I followed it and it worked!
I hope this helps

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Sep 29, 2012
Hi all! I'm new here and would need some help.

I started making my own ROM based on FR but it won't be a Pokémon game, it should be totally redesigned one. Now I'm getting used to work with APE, NTME, etc. but have some problems.
I found out that the Gamefreak text/logo palette offset is 0040270C. When I use Unlz-GBA's 'Sava as' to get the images (211, 212), the palettes are okay according to Irfanview. After I edit them in MS Paint and save them as PNG, the palettes change (what is more important, the 'transparent color' changes as well).
My question is, how to fix this? Can I change the colors index number?

Maybe it's a bit confusing what I want, so here are some pics:
-the 1. should be the gamefreak logo colors and 2. should be the text logo colors
I tried editing them in the original rom and I was right.
But after editing the saved images, their palettes change and I can't use them properly. In the text the first few colors (3) became the transparent and main color, not the lasts (4) like in the original palette...

Any ideas?

Thx in advance!

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
Hi.Great tutorial
I am a newbie to hacking.But it worked perfectly for me.

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2013
Great tutorial worked fine the first time. However I was editing my title screen the Fire Red text and got a image is to big error. I know this method works because I've done it before, but how do I fix this error?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
@ KingEddy
I think you should find a free offset using FSF(Free Space Finder).Then type the free offset you got in the space for 'image offset' when you write into the rom. But before you do this be sure to make a backup rom.Tell me if it doesn't work.

unodeej

Pokémon Professor
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I am getting the error message "Image not indexed", how do I fix this?

thizzman

PKMN rom maker and hacker
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 9, 2022
This is very helpful (:
I like!!!! Thanks man! Ima use this in 1 of my hacks if its ok with you (:
(it obviously will be cause you wouldn't have posted this tutorial if it wasn't :P)

passarbye

Just passin' thru
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2017
Tutorial is wonderful, thank you very much. :)

edit- i seem to have solved my problem by using a backup, thank you for the tutorial.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2021
great tutorial!
very easy and well explained ^ ^

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Found the palette offset for Fire Red:

I'm assuming (so don't kill me) that the logo and the words "Game Freak" share the same palette, but this logo has caused me soo many problems that I don't dare step back in there.

Pokémon Trainer 188

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but this is how it ends up looking :(

Spoiler:

Back