The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:24 PM
Master Magikarp

Advertise here
I have once. It was a while after Black and White came out. I have believed I was too old. Of course in early 2012 I returned because I found friends who still play Pokemon and I missed the experience of catching, training, and battling with Pokemon.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
Yes. I'm currently in that state of having quit now. On the other hand, it depends on if you mean quit everything about Pokemon, or quit everything official about Pokemon. Clearly, I'm talking about the latter, else I wouldn't be here.

Honestly, Game Freak, Creatures Inc, The Pokemon Company, Jr. Kikachu et. al have nothing for me anymore. I don't think I've outgrown the series so much as I think I've stopped caring. There's just no need for me to spend money on stuff that no longer entertains me. Having said that, I'm far from a person who'll bash on the franchise side of things (save for the endless sequels thing, but every series gets that from me, I'm no respector of franchises, here), and I'm genuinely happy that people are still enjoying Pokemon for generations to come. I'm also not really a nostalgic, either, so don't lump me with that crowd.

I haven't, however, and probably won't quit fan perspectives on the series, though. I'm in too deep, too heavily invested at this point. I still like to talk about things beyond the series, such as morality in hypothetical relations between Pokemon and humans, or characterization of the Pokemon themselves. And as far as the creative side of things, oh-ho, I can immerse myself in that all day long and never get tired of it.

I'm really more of an outsider, I guess. Ya'll can have your fun with the games. I'm gonna just hang out over here and paint this Pokemon mural that represents how I feel about Pokemon culture. And then I'm gonna have people critique it while we all sip grape juice and pretend to be intellectual while busting up laughing over how ridiculous we all sound. And yes, some kind of Nido will be in said mural, 'cuz that's how I do things.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:26 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I have, back in 2004. 3rd gen was atrocious. I came back in 2011.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I never quit Pokemon as in saying "I'll never play this again," but there was a pretty long stretch between 2005 and 2008 where I might play for a day or two, and not pick it up again for a few months. The third gen games seemed to be a little short for my liking, and once you beat the main game, there was really not much to do (aside from the Battle Frontier in Emerald, which I never owned).

I started playing on and off again back in early 2009, but didn't really become invested in the series again until I got a DS during Summer 2011. At that point there were already three sets of games released that I hadn't even tried (D/P/Pt, HG/SS, B/W), and the quality of the games really helped me enjoy the series again.

I may not play them as religiously as I did back in the days of Yellow and Gold, but with so much to do in the current games plus the release of X/Y in October, I don't think I'll be bored with the series for quite a while.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I have never quit Pokemon at anytime and it's likely I never will.

It's a franchise I literally grew up with.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old February 4th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Starry Windy
Chyaaaaaaa~
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I was quitting in 2007 or 2008 if I could remember, but I returned to Pokemon gaming in 2010 when I've got my Nintendo DS Lite.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:10 AM
AWsquared
I know what things are.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
We seem to get this question often.

I've never quit Pokemon per say, but there's been times where I haven't been able to play cause I didn't have the required system to play the current games. Such as ,I couldn't play any Gen III games until 2005 cause I didn't have a GBA until Pokemon Emerald game out. And I could play Diamond and Pearl until 2008 when I got Diamond for Christmas cause I didn't have a DS of my own. I'd play on my brother's DS Lite until I got my own original used DS in 2010. I know that doesn't really count as quitting but you know. But no, there's never really been a time where I've quit playing Pokemon. It's too fun and hard to let go.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I dis once quit pokemon because I could not get a DS cheap enough to play fourth gen..
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Inferna
hello stranger, i'm a disaster

I've been playing on and off since September, I think my interest is gradually wearing thin in the games. I wasn't that excited when X and Y were announced but I'll see what happens come October.
I still like drawing and spriting, just not the games so much anymore
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Caelus
Gone

I quit in 2011 after I lost my DS and didn't bother getting a new one. Without a DS there would be no point in following the newest games when I didn't even want to buy the system for it.

Now though I got access to the Black and White so I'm still into the series, just not as much as I used to.
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:59 AM
KriegStein
Nuclear Reactor

Yeah I quit on pokemon a couple of years ago. (3-4? Cant remember) My reason was same as for you MM, I thought I was too old. And the 4gen reduced my interest to almost zero. It just didnt feel right. Afterwards I found my way back to pokemon by playing the original red/blue and some interesting hacks. :D And now I have regained my interest. Played that 4gen (diamond version) and...I still dont like it. But it was not as bad as I thought. :D

Old February 4th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Plusleminun
Togepi

I have quit Pokémon many times, sometimes several times a year. But everytime I see a new game announced, a new movie released or anything else I tend to get stuck in the series again. I guess that's Pokémagic. =)
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:44 AM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

Nature: Relaxed
I have periods where I don't play very much for a couple months or so (happening now, actually), but I've never officially quit Pokemon for any reason. It is one of the only series that I buy games and merchandise for consistently, and actually care about new releases and stuff. I hope to someday introduce any children I may have to the series.
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Fenne-kun
//TheEternalSushi

Nature: Bold
Right now I'm wayyy too attached to the series, so probably not (and no, I haven't quit either). As long as they're coming out with something innovation, it's all good for me. Plus, the fandom is amazing. Hacks...fanfics...art...there's not a lot of fandoms that can achieve all of those with so many people. This trend will keep going for some time, I presume, and it's not going to die yet (at least, not until Game Freak launches the final Pokemon game), especially after Game Freak and Nintendo launched the first 3DS Pokemon games.

"Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist can come from anywhere" - Anton Ego
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Correspondence

There was a time when i was 14(i think) where i was going through the 'adult phase' where i left everything childish behind which included pokemon.I had forgotten about pokemon for a few years but thankfully a website reminded how fun pokemon was and i have been in love with pokemon ever since.

P.S- Don't grow up.It sucks.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Halipoke
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Rash
I had to quit Pokemon when my Gameboy (alongside with all of my games) was stolen back when I was... I think 8 or 9 years old. All my Pokemon games went there - blue, yellow and gold. All of my Pokemon.

I came back to Pokemon when I was on seventh grade. My friend was playing Sapphire at school, and I managed to borrow it. After she took it back, I worked like I've never worked before to gather money for Nintendo DS and Diamond.
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM
True Epicness
Magnificent Turnip

I did at some point, I think I just lost interest sometime near the end of playing D/P/Pt. Picked it up again last Summer because of ROMs and ROM hacks.

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
Back when the 3rd generation was on the rise, I had left Pokemon for Playstation gaming. I skipped a few years and the 4th generation as well, that is mainly the reason why I had little to no knowledge of both 3rd & 4th generation but do have extensive knowledge on 5th. So, there was that period that I wasn't heavily into Pokemon gaming, but it still remains part of me no matter what.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Jak
@ dark eco

Nature: Timid
Since this can go for other things like anime and TCG, I'm gonna move it to Pokemon General. This topic will have more room to groooow and expaaaand.

I never quit the games per se, as I always had a Pokemon game of the generation, though I didn't get into main games till gen III. I did quit the anime though, at random times. I didn't watch much of anything past the original series. And I quit the TCG for a long time too, which is funny, because that was where I began with the series. I recently started picking back up on collecting the TCG though. But overall, I've never quit Pokemon.

Blood will have blood.
paired to klippy, mr. downstairs, and elheroeoscuro
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

I believe I might have stopped playing the games for quite a while after the second generation (GSC). I hadn't played the third generation (RSE) on a handheld console before when I was younger, so I guess I might have been dormant right about then. I didn't exactly quit Pokemon though. I still liked Pokemon, but I just didn't play the games and wasn't too much into it. All of this changed when DPPt was released. I jumped straight back into the fandom like how a lost child finally reunites with his mother. :')

I guess that this is, as mentioned by Plusleminun, Pokemagic after all. <3

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:56 AM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

lets see... after starting with the Red Version... i was hooked, moved up to Gold Version (i did play yellow and crystal, while my brother played blue and silver) I was super pleased... but when the 3rd gerneration came out and I could not trade my charizard and mewtwo over... I just got pissed... it was getting rediculous... ill be honest... i have no clu how many pokemon there are right now... I only care about 251 of them

I piddled on my cellphone emulator with some of the gba ones but never completed any...
black and white came out and I did play through them because they promised a new generation not just a rehash of the old games... and it delivered... a new styled story line... i enjoyed it... also the fact that I knew none of these new pokemon helped the expierience... black 2 and white2 were equally satisfactory...

I am excited for x and y...

but I still stand by its gotten ridiculous... notice ther gotta catch em all slogan is gone... cause... well you cant catch em all... its stupid... i ENJOYED catching em all... thats y I played... now I play thru the story and thats the end... which is good for black and white cause there is a story... one that you have to read to keep up with... not just, beat ther gym leaders become the champion your rival is a meaniehead... oh and kick team rockt/magma/aquas butt when you see them...

so yes I quit pokemon for several years... because the point of the game (for me) shifted... it just took them this long to catch up to my way of thinking...

~Completed Projects:

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
dragonfly_dust
Look at my avatar! Nuff said.

I played Yellow and Gold but I totally skipped 3rd gen when it came out. It wasn't until Diamond did I get back into Pokemon.

Like the sprites you see here?
Want a custom one of your very own?

Come on down to DD's Sprite Shop~!

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:43 AM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

I quit twice, actually .

I was introduced to the franchise when I was eleven, with Pokémon Blue. Loved it, played it like crazy, annoyed my parents so that they would buy me the other versions of essentially the game same... then Gen 2 came out and it was on all over again. By the time Gen 3 arrived, my parents had enough and I was stuck playing on the PC .

The first time I quit was after playing some Gen 3 on an emulator. To be honest, at first, I hated it. I've been told back then that Gen 3 couldn't connect with Gen 2, and not knowing anything about Regional and National Dexes, when I saw Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip in the Pokédex where Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle were supposed to be, I was upset. I thought they completely remade the franchise and threw the old Pokémon out for good (thus, my reaction when I saw Zubat was: "THIS is what they kept?"). I thought the game dragged, with routes being so long and everything... but the final straw, and I know this is petty but I was 15 back then, was a Pokémon design... I quit the game with the intention of never playing it again the moment I saw Lunatone.

A few months later, my friend who gave me the ROMs sent me a save file with the complete national dex and my faith in the franchise was restored . I was stuck playing with the emulator though.

The second time was when Gen 4 came around. The DS emulators available back then were too slow for me to enjoy the game, so I just never got to play it. And by the time they became fast enough, I stopped caring.

Fast forward to a year and a half ago when I finished college, got a job, and decided to start a retro videogame collection. After buying some old consoles and games, I got a SNES cart with an internal battery (used for saving games back in the day) about to die, and decided to learn how to replace internal batteries. My first test subject was the good old Pokémon Blue. I managed to replace the battery and then decided to try the Mew Glitch. And after that I just kept playing. When I was done, I replaced the batteries in all other Gen 1 and 2 carts. And then, slowly, I started ordering the games I missed online: Gen 3, Gen 4, the remakes, and even managed to score a DS Lite in a great condition. Ultimately, I bought Gen 5 and a 3DS. So here I am, fully equipped and definitely back (and definitely excited about Gen 6) .

Last edited by SaniOKh; February 6th, 2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Correcting some of my not-so-good English :)
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
The period from DP all the way to BW. That was of course due to a lack of a DS, so I dunno if it counts.
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I've never quit the franchise entirely. In some way or the other, Pokémon has always been a prominent part of my life, whether it was playing the games or watching the anime. I would say the TCG is the only part of Pokémon I have given up on completely.
I sometimes take breaks from playing the games, like most recently after Black and White came out I sort of just stopped for a while, but nope, I've never quit Pokémon.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here