The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:31 PM
derozio
not an anime connoisseur
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
An actual US senator claimed that video games are a bigger problem than guns earlier today on MSNBC (via DailyKOS).
When host Chuck Todd asked about universal background checks, the inexplicably elected Tennessee Republican Lamar Alexander abruptly changed the topic to video games.
"I think video games is a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people," he said.
Well, sure, video games do affect people - I was quite affected myself by that thing that happened at the end of The Walking Dead season one - but I'm not sure it was as affecting as a bullet in the lungs would be.
At least not all US senators are this delusional. An avid World of Warcraft player won the election for State Senate in Maine last year after a hilarious smear campaign against her gaming ways.

source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...blem-than-guns

Honestly, this is just stupid. I don't really know what goes on in the minds of these crazy people. People are blaming video games for the craziness that goes around and that's just sad. Are there any people here who agree with this guy? I mean, I showed it to some adults and they...kinda agreed. According to them, whatever you see/experience does affect your brain to a certain degree. So, according to them, playing Bulletstorm would make you become a psycho killer who kills people creatively. :<

I really liked this response to the video, by the way:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yt commenter
This Senator is clearly right. As is everyone who says Video Games are more dangerous than guns.
I mean, have you seen the damage they can do? I once saw a game disc decapitate a clay model! Imagine the damage this could cause to a person!
imagine if someone with a good throwing arm decides to go on a rampage with video games. I for one do not want to have this happen. BAN THE GAMES!!!
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
Yes, something made for entertainment is the reason that people are mad. People are the problem. Not games. Not guns. People.

TY commenter is obviously an overprotective parent and needs to take a seat. I hope they have a ton of dislikes. Or maybe they're trolling. A Video game disc took out a clay model...okay because humans totally aren't thicker than clay.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

So many people use games as a scapegoat for any violent act that gets committed. Yes, there are some people that can't handle violent video games without being influenced by them, but the vast majority of gamers are mature enough to not be influenced to go shoot someone after a round of Call of Duty. If anything, it helps you take out your frustrations on something inanimate.

Games are an entertainment medium, just like movies or books, yet you don't see people railing against violent movies. There's a horrible double standard when it comes to violence in games, perhaps because they're an "interactive" medium.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:57 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
At this point, only old people take that crap seriously anymore. And they won't be around for much longer, anyway.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkula View Post
Games are an entertainment medium, just like movies or books, yet you don't see people railing against violent movies. There's a horrible double standard when it comes to violence in games, perhaps because they're an "interactive" medium.
I think it's mostly because gaming is a new medium, with the interactivity conveniently being there to use as an excuse.
That is, even if gaming weren't interactive, they'd still be going after it.
Old January 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM
xRice
LAB 126

Nature: Relaxed
In all seriousness the only only who have been killed because of video games are the one that excessively play video games and died because starvation for long hours of gaming...

[/sig-reason]
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Jolly
Why would you blame this stuff on video games? People let themselves be effected by video games if at all. As mentioned throughout this thread, video games are for entertainment purposes, there is no evidence that they are to blame for crimes going on in the US. There may have been a few (seriously not even much) cases where this has happened, but video games were just part of it and people aren't gonna be like "Killing people in a game is fun so imma do it in real life" unless they are weak-minded or parents' have done a bad job with letting them think this way. Recently, in English news, a pensioner said that playing games helped her in many ways and there were several people commenting agreeing with her.

Millions of people play video games; the vast majority of them love playing video games and it is a good source of entertainment. However, the vast minority of people are letting there minds be manipulated by the joys of gaming.
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:27 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Well technically guns nor video games are at fault, but the persons using them. But obviously guns are great, and video games killed all the recent victims to the violence that's been spreading lately.
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:35 AM
KriegStein
Nuclear Reactor

Ugh... Not this topic again... And again from the U.S... (no particular meaning in that) I am seriously getting tired of these people. They always take videogames as their target. Nobody ever talks about the effects of movies or tv-shows this much. Is it simply because videogames are so young form of media? (compared to others)

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Wow.. the things the government tries to do to avoid the real problem .. that's all i can say! What a joke!
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:11 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
The only way a video game can be worse than a gun is if the person playing the game can't distinctly judge between fiction and reality, and what is right or wrong. And that's a very small number of people, so nobody should have to worry. Of course I know that when I play MadWorld, there's 2 things that are true:

1. Jack is a fictional character. Simple and solid fact.
2. Putting a chainsaw on your arm to dismember people probably won't be as easy as it looks, and I'll be in a fair amount of pain myself from the immense amount of vibrations going straight into my arm.

But there's the odd person that'll think otherwise.

Now, if the Government thinks games are causing the problems, look to past events. How many of them were triggered through video games? And one other question: What's the ratio of gun owners to video game players? I'm certain one number will be much higher than the other.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:49 AM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
I think they don't like video games because they think you play 24 hours. That's a lie. And...worse than gun...? That's stupid. Very stupid. Video games can only affect the eyes...it's not worse than guns...only adults agree with that. They agree only because there weren't video games in their years.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:25 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Wasn't it already concluded that video games are not dangerous and are now part of 1st Amendment law by the California court a few years back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriegStein View Post
Ugh... Not this topic again... And again from the U.S... (no particular meaning in that) I am seriously getting tired of these people. They always take videogames as their target. Nobody ever talks about the effects of movies or tv-shows this much. Is it simply because videogames are so young form of media? (compared to others)
Movies and TV shows had their fair share of being blamed by the government back in their time, along with rap music, rock music, R&B music, CGI, etc.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:28 AM
NatureKeeper
No longer active here.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NatureKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to NatureKeeper
Ladies and Gentlemen, you can clearly see the effects of crack cocaine on the US senator. Protect your sanity. Don't do drugs.

...Seriously, what? Video Games do affect people, but so do movies, so do TV series and everything. The older generation just doesn't get something they weren't raised doing. Seriously, now...
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:35 AM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
All of these blame games on video games piss me off. Most of the blaming is done by middle aged and older adults who have never even held a controller in their life.

Sydian nailed it, people are the problem.

It's easier for news media to blame something blatantly violent like video games as opposed to going on the air and saying, 'Humanity sucks and are greedy, naturally violent, selfish pigs. Cut to commercial.' Plus it gives them tons of ratings, which is really what it's all about.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Patrick
Winter Love
Community Supporter Tier 5

Yeah yeah, whatever.

I think one of my classmates is going to use this in his thesis statement, as he's arguing about something like how those who use violence in video games used as evidence against them usually comes from people who have no experience with them. It's probably going to be a big time validity thing, which is pretty cool. I'd love to see what he comes up with (and he can probably state what his thesis is actually about way better than I paraphrased).

People just want a scapegoat. God forbid parents do their job.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Dakota
she's singing to me
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
If you're going to make that argument, then you can say the same thing about books or music, or anything that shows of creative thinking. It's a stupid argument, period.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

The guy's a Republican, lol. I'm not surprised by his statement.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
Quote:
The guy's a Republican, lol. I'm not surprised by his statement.
My best friend is a Conservative and loves FPS games, and actually used to mod this section of PC. So...no need to generalize the whole party by this bad seed's statement. I'm sure there are Democrats that think this too.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
This is actually a really good way to decide which people should vote for the election. Anyone who believes this garbage shouldn't be allowed to vote and the people who think that this is just another tasteless scapegoat should have the privilege to vote.
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:57 AM
lineofdeath
...overuser of the ellipsis...

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to lineofdeath
PURE STUPID.
It is like a dog, it isn't the dog that is dangerous, it is the owner.
Games aren't dangerous, the player is.

peace is key...

hey guys... check my trading shop...
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305409
..........................................................................................................................................they call me red.http://www.pokecommunity.com/signatu...ic362557_3.gif
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Oh man, this is much worse than the one Congressman who thought we should have a Federal speed limit of 55 mph to save gas! I can't believe people like this are elected... sigh. Video games are not the problem... people are... same thing with many things, actually.
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
HeracrossIsBoss
Yo ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Games like pokemon makes me want to put my dog in a pokeball, and throw it to other people E_E, no. I understand there are games that make people more aggressive. But worse than guns I cant believe.

Last edited by HeracrossIsBoss; February 4th, 2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Nakuzami
That Person's Name Is . . .
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Yes, something made for entertainment is the reason that people are mad. People are the problem. Not games. Not guns. People.

TY commenter is obviously an overprotective parent and needs to take a seat. I hope they have a ton of dislikes. Or maybe they're trolling. A Video game disc took out a clay model...okay because humans totally aren't thicker than clay.
You . . . do realize that this comment was completely and totally sarcastic, right? ._.;

Other than that, I agree with your statement completely. It's people who are the problem; not video games, not guns, not anything else.

Video games are simply a creative outlet. If someone goes on a murderous rampage after playing a little too much Borderlands, I think they probably have a severe mental disability. . . . >.>;
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Toutebelle
Un philtre d'amour

Makes me wonder...do any of these Congress members even know the first thing about video games? I mean, don't any of them have children or grandchildren who play video games?

I admit, I am a Republican myself, but even I don't agree with this guy.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links