The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old Posted February 5th, 2013 (07:09 AM).
cosmicdeoxys
Unhatched Egg

I watched the anime religiously as a kid and loved it. I've continued playing the games and collecting the cards but I can't watch the anime now as the voice acting is terrible compared to the older voice actors. Was the change in cast down to money issues? I never did find out why they bothered as the original actors were so good at what they did it's probably common knowledge but I just never found out.
Old Posted February 5th, 2013 (08:17 AM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
4Kids gave up their dubbing rights to The Pokémon Company International just before the Battle Frontier season because their licensing rights to Pokémon expired.

For one, I'm okay with the new voices, but I'm also happy that some of the old voice actors came back. Ted Lewis/Ed Paul even came back to voice Giovanni again for instance.

Old Posted February 5th, 2013 (08:56 AM).
cosmicdeoxys
Unhatched Egg

I see. So why didn't the Pokemon International just hire the same voice actors rather than ruin the consistency? I just don't see the logic.
Old Posted February 5th, 2013 (11:08 AM).
Kyonko
Unhatched Egg

I guess when you think the anime has been running so long that some actors/actresses just get fed up doing the same thing over and over again.
Old Posted February 5th, 2013 (02:47 PM).
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
These two articles are good reading material for this thread's topic:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...r_Voice_Actors
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ng_controversy

From what I read, the 4Kids voice actors and actresses were abruptly replaced, and weren't even asked about whether or not they wanted to continue with Pokemon USA (aka, no effort was made for negotiations to take place with the old VAs), which is what really irritated me. Apparently, it originally stemmed from keeping production costs low. :/

I've become accustomed to the new voice actors, though I still prefer the old voice actors by a large margin (especially Veronica Taylor as Ash and May; and Stan Hart as Professor Oak. I tried watching BW001, In the Shadow of Zekrom!, but I just couldn't get used to Carter Cathcart as Prof. Oak ) I'm glad a lot of the old VAs regained their roles, though; I hope that trend can continue. Sarah Natochenny at least does a pretty good Ash voice nowadays, though Taylor's voice will always be classic for me (I love spotting Taylor's voice in other works like Dinosaur King ).

Thank goodness that The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon got re-dubbed though, because the first dubbed version was horrendous, sorry to say. :<
Old Posted February 5th, 2013 (04:08 PM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
When I first heard the new voice actors, my ears couldn't stand it. But I've kept watching and watching and the voice actors doesn't bother me much anymore. I really despised James's voice actor lol.
Old Posted February 5th, 2013 (07:57 PM).
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I remember first hearing the new voices when I started watching the Diamond & Pearl anime, and I do have to admit Sarah Natochenny did a much better job at voicing Ash than Veronica Taylor did.

However, I liked the fact that most of the 4Kids VAs have since gained roles in the new dub as well which is nice.

Sponsored Links