The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Advertise here
I digress. I don't see the resemblance. I don't think they're going to use previous starters as a basis to start a new generation.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I don't see it at all. I think Chespin looks more like a grass type emolga.

Oshawott was my pick in the last gen and one of my favourite starters. So far Chespin is my least favourite of this gens starters.
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Nature: Calm
How does Chespin look like a Grass Emolga? I seriously don't see your logic, In my opinion it looks like Oshawott because of Body Type, head:body ratio and arm and leg length. I have favored the last three Generations Grass-types because well Treecko is Fast which was a change. Turtwig was a giant, and Serperior had the weirdest stat setting. Chespin at the moment looks like it would play the better role of the Generations rodent (Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, etc.).

Fennekin I know they are going to screw up I mean if they can turn Chickens and Pigs into Punching Bags, which punch back they can do it for a fox.

Lastly is Froakie honeslty its design reminds me of Patrat a bit too much. However considering how many "Like a sir" memes have been made around Froakie I'm wondering how its evolutions will turn out? Will they wear a monocle?

Should Beauty ever be my best feature I would simply die
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewulf238 View Post

Oshawott was my pick in the last gen and one of my favourite starters. So far Chespin is my least favourite of this gens starters.
Emolga's cute but... Emolga was one of the two Pikachu clones in B/W. You're basically saying it looks like Pikachu, kind of. :x They just seem too different.
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:08 AM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

I like Chespin the best.
Fennekin looks awesome, but knowing gamefreak,
they still have time to make it fire/fighting.
I think Chespin has the best potential.
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bayerf1 View Post
I like Chespin the best.
Fennekin looks awesome, but knowing gamefreak,
they still have time to make it fire/fighting.
I think Chespin has the best potential.
Well there is time yeah but it just doesn't look like a fighter, compared to how Froakie looks. It looks like it's actually going to cross chop you, kind of like Toxicroak really (although we think it'll be ice BUT W/E).
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM
smurf
Veteran Trainer

I never judge the starters till i see there evolutions thats when i think you can tell how they will be
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:44 AM
JohnnyJ773
Wanderer from Cianwood City

Nature: Modest
Okay Chespin and Fennekin actually look like the cute pokemon from the early generations. That frog tho...... I'll go with Chespin

BLACK 2 FC:1550-4719-5621HEART GOLD FC: 3483-2756-6167
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:46 AM
ArdentSun
Unhatched Egg

Hey guys, I'm new here. Made the account specifically for this thread in fact. I've got some speculation and I've been dying to have some others besides close friends hear me out xD

First of all, Froakie clearly looks exactly like Benjamin Franklin to me. This cannot be an accident, he even has the little glasses. In relation to that, I believe Froakie will become a Water/Electric type, with his "bubble" hair turning into clouds in a Raikou/Thunderous type fashion. Water/Flying and perhaps Water/Fighting are also options. However, I don't think gamefreak would create TWO Water/Fighting Frog pokemon and if you read further, Water/Flying would force Fennekin into the Fire/Fighting spot (Fire Psychic would not work because the type combinations for Chespin do not allow it without Froakie being Fighting). This could very well be the case, I'll get to this in a second.

Chespin can be many things at face value, perhaps Grass/Fighting, Grass/Ground, Grass/Steel, Grass/Rock and Grass/Dark. I'll explain why he can't be Grass/Fighting in a moment, and my thoughts on Grass/Ground. Grass/Steel wouldn't work either, as a Fennekin would then have 4x super effectiveness against him. None of the options I've thought of allow Chespin to be 4x super effective against Froakie and for Froakie to have the same typing against Fennekin. Fennekin would need to be Fire/Ground or Fire/Rock, and of those only Ground could possibly make sense. If he is ground and Chespin Steel, then Froakie would need to be Rock, which seems very far fetched. This means that the only possible typing I see left for him is Grass/Ground, and Grass/Rock unless these pokemon go through some seriously drastic changes in their evolutions.

Next we have Fennekin whom I think will be either Fire/Flying, Fire/Fighting or Fire/Psychic. Fire/Flying would give him a distinct advantage against Chespin though, especially if he turns out to be Fighting, the same can be said about Psychic, and if he was Fighting then Chespin would not be. So if my speculation on Fennekin is correct, Chespin CANNOT be Fighting as secondary. In the case of a Psychic Fennekin, a Dark Chespin would not work either, it would allow Chespin to be super effective against Fennekin, but then Froakie would have no such advantage versus Chespin, and it would be unequal. A case where this could work is if Froakie ends up being Water/Fighting, Chespin as Grass/Dark and Fennekin as Fire/Psychic, then all of them would be both weak to, and strong against their counter parts. However, again, I don't think a Water/Fighting Froakie would be accepted since he would be a carbon copy of Poliwrath.

In short, my hypothetical combinations are as follows:
(Fennekin as Fire/Flying, Chespin as Grass/Ground, and Froakie as Water/Electric) This makes it so the Power Triangle actually has two lines, Fire beats grass, beats water, beats fire, and also Flying beats ground (Not super effective, but immune), beats Electric, beats Flying.
(Fennekin as Fire/Psychic, Chespin as Grass/Dark, and Froakie as Water/Fighting) I don't think it will happen, but it's the only way I see to make Fennekin Psychic, and it technically would work.
(Fennekin as Fire/Fighting, Chespin as Grass/Rock, and Froakie as Water/Flying) Same as option one except with different typing.

So really only options one and three are in the race, I can't see them making Froakie Fighting. Due to angst from the community, I doubt they are going to make a fourth Fire/Fighting type, and the wing-like fur on Fennekin does inspire some Flying ideas. He is also based after a Desert fox, no? And we all know about the desert and it's ties to wind and heat.

In conclusion, I think that the typing will be option one, [Fennekin as Fire/Flying (Desert Fox), Chespin as Grass/Ground (Hedgehog), and Froakie as Water/Electric (Benjamin Franklin)]

Sadly, I don't think I'm allowed to post my favorite fan art.

Do you like this? Any problems with my post and theory? Please feel free to respond and thanks for reading.
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdentSun View Post
First off, welcome to the community!

Now onto your thoughts... Technically, there is a slight error in your ideas / theories with the starter's duo typing you suggested. Instead of giving each starter a type advantage over their weakness, you're simply giving them an added advantage against what they already have an advantage over. I'm not sure if you noticed that or not.

I'm referring to this, specifically:

Quote:
In short, my hypothetical combinations are as follows:
(Fennekin as Fire/Flying, Chespin as Grass/Ground, and Froakie as Water/Electric) This makes it so the Power Triangle actually has two lines, Fire beats grass, beats water, beats fire, and also Flying beats ground (Not super effective, but immune), beats Electric, beats Flying.
(Fennekin as Fire/Psychic, Chespin as Grass/Dark, and Froakie as Water/Fighting) I don't think it will happen, but it's the only way I see to make Fennekin Psychic, and it technically would work.
(Fennekin as Fire/Fighting, Chespin as Grass/Rock, and Froakie as Water/Flying) Same as option one except with different typing.
Fennekin's evolution being Fire/Flying just gives it a double advantage over Chespin's should it be Grass/Ground. While Chespin has a double advantage over Froakie, and Froakie over Fennekin. Same would apply to your idea of Fennekin being Fire / Fighting, Chespin being Grass / Rock, and Froakie as a Water / Flying. Except this time, Froakie actually does have a balanced advantage over Fennekin, but that's it.

Technically, you're not changing anything. You're basically keeping the the flow of each starter as is it, just giving them an extra type advantage.

Also, I wouldn't put it against GameFreak to make Froakie a Water / Fighting frog just because we have Poliwrath already. If they can make a a Normal / Flying bird for each region or a Fire / Fighting type starter three generations in a row, then a second Water / Fighting Frog Pokémon isn't out of the realm of possibility.
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ773 View Post
Okay Chespin and Fennekin actually look like the cute pokemon from the early generations. That frog tho...... I'll go with Chespin
Froakie is the best starter for Gen 6! XD

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:09 PM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Nature: Bashful
Quote:

I 100% agree! Obviously, taste is a matter of opinion, but the "love Oshawott, dislike Chespin" is not an opinion I find to be very common, which I find a little shocking. Especially considering all the absurd hate Froakie gets for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Emolga's cute but... Emolga was one of the two Pikachu clones in B/W. You're basically saying it looks like Pikachu, kind of. :x They just seem too different.
What was the other "Pikachu clone"? (And just so everybody knows, I do not believe in "Pikachu clones". The style of Pokemon is consistent enough that many Pokemon share similarities. Just because two Pokemon look similar and have a similar typing (or sometimes not even that) does not make it justifiable to shout "IT'S A CLONE" within the first five seconds of seeing the Pokemon. But, eh, people have always been comparing Pokemon so it's not a big deal.)

Anyway, ArdentSun, I appreciate how well thought out your speculation was, but to be absolutely frank, I think you might be overthinking it a little. Gamefreak has had a poor history of paying little attention the typings of its starters, so I wouldn't go super in-depth about what counters what. Honestly, I don't care so much about those kinds of things anyway (as long as its not a stupid Dark/Psychic/Fighting pseudotriangle). On a completely unrelated note, welcome to the community! I feel you'll have no trouble fitting in. I wish my posts were as substantial as yours when I first signed up.

Last edited by tente2; February 5th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:41 PM
jaydezzal
Sarcastic Guy

Haha not much love for Froakie? I'm personally choosing Froakie. I was torn between him and Chespin but I always go with the grass starter first so time to change things up. Am I the only one here who doesn't like Fennekin?

Last edited by jaydezzal; February 5th, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Lots of sadness that there wasn't any felines as starter Pokemon, that will then be my future wish for Generation 7 then (around 2020 or 2021). I don't like canines much so Fennekin is the starter I won't ever choose.....

Chespin is the one I like the most of the three starters, can't wait to see the rest of the revolutions, and the rest of the generations. Chespin! I choose you! - [¡Chespin, yo te elijo!]
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: X - Location: Coumarine City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 1/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 4
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:26 AM
FreaKryptid
LaunchingSnorlaxGetOutOfW ay

Nature: Naughty
Im going with the water type. Not sure, what others are talking about when they say it looks weird. In all honesty I usually go with Grass and I think the grass this time around looks rather off. I never ever go with Fire, I stay away from the hive attachment.

Somewhere far far in the galaxy, there lives a man far far away. Unfortunately he's to far away for me to talk about.

Thanks goes to
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:48 AM
pokefangames
Sinor Trainer

Nature: Calm
I Kinda dislike these, except the fire type (which looks very feminine to me).
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Chespin just gives off that Pikachu/Pikachu clone vibe to me. I think it's big grin on his face.

I don't understand the reasoning for Chespin and Oshawott looking the same at all.....but Chespin and Pikachu (& clones) it looks clear as day.

I should point out that I don't dislike Chespin, I just said it's my least favourite starter of this gen. (and it would probably be somewhere around the middle overall)
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Chespin just gives off that Pikachu/Pikachu clone vibe to me. I think it's big grin on his face.

I don't understand the reasoning for Chespin and Oshawott looking the same at all.....but Chespin and Pikachu (& clones) it looks clear as day.

I should point out that I don't dislike Chespin, I just said it's my least favourite starter of this gen. (and it would probably be somewhere around the middle overall)
I tried so hard to find a resemblance, but I don't see Pikachu in Chespin anywhere. Even their big "I'm too happy" grins don't look all that similar. Probably the closest thing Chespin has in common with Pikachu is its small markings at the side of its cheeks and two of his spikes above his head that look similar to Pikachu's long ears. But I really don't think Chespin gives off any sort of Pikachu clone vibes in my opinion.
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Superfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperion View Post
How does Chespin look like a Grass Emolga? I seriously don't see your logic, In my opinion it looks like Oshawott because of Body Type, head:body ratio and arm and leg length.
Um...I'm really not seeing that. Chespin's arms and feet are much larger than Oshawott's when you actually compare them. Even the body structure is different, with Oshawott having a rounded, plump midsection, while Chespin's is slimmer and more triangular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Froakie is the best starter for Gen 6! XD

LOL. You do realize that the chances of this scenario actually playing out are slim to none though, right?

Last edited by Superfox; February 6th, 2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:36 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I bet Chespin's final form will look royal similar to Serperior, maybe it's final form will be the Sun Pokemon as a reference to King Louis XIV of France. The leafy crown will proably turn into a fancy crown or maybe a helmet which in that case it could be a Viking.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfox View Post
LOL. You do realize that the chances of this scenario actually playing out are slim to none though, right?
Its basically what happened with Snivy and right now, I'm expecting the same with Fennekin since fan favorites as far as I've been on here have turned out to be pretty bad when they are released. I'm one of the few expecting it to be Fire/Fighting just cause it seems to be a running thing with the newer Fire Starters.

It has a pretty good chance of happening given history fans have had.
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Its basically what happened with Snivy and right now, I'm expecting the same with Fennekin since fan favorites as far as I've been on here have turned out to be pretty bad when they are released. I'm one of the few expecting it to be Fire/Fighting just cause it seems to be a running thing with the newer Fire Starters.

It has a pretty good chance of happening given history fans have had.
What do you mean by "it's basically what happened with Snivy?" iirc, Snivy was hugely popular around here, and I think that, it wasn't just Serperior that got less than impressive feedback, but pretty much all of the 5th gen final evos, even though Serperior was the "lesser of the three evils", so to speak.

I'm thinking Chespin might get a pretty cool-looking evo, I mean, grass-type evolutions haven't failed a lot of us so far, so I'm fairly optimistic. n_n;

edit: I apologize if I misread anything. u_u
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
I bet Chespin's final form will look royal similar to Serperior, maybe it's final form will be the Sun Pokemon as a reference to King Louis XIV of France. The leafy crown will proably turn into a fancy crown or maybe a helmet which in that case it could be a Viking.
So long as Chespin doesn't end up evolving into something completely left field and it actually fits his evolutionary line instead.

Samurott, I'm looking at you.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Samurott's design. From looking at just Oshawott and Dewott, however, I would never have guessed Samurott to be its final stage. It's such a drastic change, where as every other starter Pokémon has gradually evolved into something that seemed to fit their evolutionary line and worked as a nice build up to their final stage.
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
What do you mean by "it's basically what happened with Snivy?" iirc, Snivy was hugely popular around here, and I think that, it wasn't just Serperior that got less than impressive feedback, but pretty much all of the 5th gen final evos, even though Serperior was the "lesser of the three evils", so to speak.

I'm thinking Chespin might get a pretty cool-looking evo, I mean, grass-type evolutions haven't failed a lot of us so far, so I'm fairly optimistic. n_n;

edit: I apologize if I misread anything. u_u
I'm saying, Fans built up a great hype for Snivy and its evolutions. It was the most loved out of the three Starters for Gen 5, but when its stats, moveset, and everything else was posted, a huge bawfest started. Snivy looked like it was the beat all starter of the region, but it wasn't that great.

Actual use of them is personal as I find Snivy and its entire line to fall way behind Oshawott and Tepig. I was against Snivy hype then too cause hyping anything up is setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

I like Froakie more than most of the starters I've seen and used based solely on looks. I disagree with the bashers that say he's god ugly. (The people saying it are possibly the same people who bashed Oshawott and love worshiped Snivy.) I don't have a particular like for Fennekin. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I just see us having a repeat performance of hype to rage when more information is released. I'm expecting half the Fennekin fan base to disappear when they reveal Fennekin as a Fire/Fighting. Though I just have a sick sense of humor. Fennekin can be anything really, even if its Fire/Psychic I see it becoming a second Flareon. Physical based with nothing but special attacks.

Hope they don't drop the ball on any of them, its just all the hype on it has my expectations lowering cause Gamefreak be trollin.
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
I'm saying, Fans built up a great hype for Snivy and its evolutions. It was the most loved out of the three Starters for Gen 5, but when its stats, moveset, and everything else was posted, a huge bawfest started. Snivy looked like it was the beat all starter of the region, but it wasn't that great.

Actual use of them is personal as I find Snivy and its entire line to fall way behind Oshawott and Tepig. I was against Snivy hype then too cause hyping anything up is setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

I like Froakie more than most of the starters I've seen and used based solely on looks. I disagree with the bashers that say he's god ugly. (The people saying it are possibly the same people who bashed Oshawott and love worshiped Snivy.) I don't have a particular like for Fennekin. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I just see us having a repeat performance of hype to rage when more information is released. I'm expecting half the Fennekin fan base to disappear when they reveal Fennekin as a Fire/Fighting. Though I just have a sick sense of humor. Fennekin can be anything really, even if its Fire/Psychic I see it becoming a second Flareon. Physical based with nothing but special attacks.

Hope they don't drop the ball on any of them, its just all the hype on it has my expectations lowering cause Gamefreak be trollin.
I mean, I see it as this: every single generation is pretty much the same/similar result. At first, Serperior could've very well been disappointing, though I think the most disappointing aspect about it(to me) was just the stubby arms, but w/e, that's really up to perception. What I've seen happen is that, given enough time, opinions begin to shift, and people would start getting used to these evolutions(more or less, anyway). I mean, as I saw it, Oshawott and Snivy were the popular ones and Tepig was pretty much the one being left out in the dust(iirc? I'm not sure, though i would imagine some were less than pleased with a pig fire-type). When people saw the evos, the general reaction wasn't really ~yay~ but more like ~meh~, though I would imagine Emboar is still the least favorite of most people, especially because of it's stats and it being the first fire/fighting starter to be slower than a turtle, really.

What I imagine to happen this gen is for Chespin's final evo to hopefully be decent, both aesthetically and competitively, but my eyes are really all on Fennekin because as I see it, most fans can't really afford to have their heart broken by an underwhelming final evo. :x And as for Froakie, I always thought of it's evolutionary-like to be something similar to Swampert's anyway(for some odd reason), so I have no worries about it.

I apologize if I'm not making any sense here(I'm terrible with words), but I'll be happy to explain as needed ^^;
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here