The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:46 PM
SchokoInc
Unhatched Egg

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh no :D

I meant move tutors not the move relearner :D

Move tutors are for example the two guys after Mt. Moon who teach Mega Punch and Mega Kick to your Pokémon or the guy who teaches Softboiled :D

And I'm pretty sure it isn't type based as not all normal typed pokémon can learn softboiled :(

Especially as I want that for example fire punch can be learned by every pokémon who has the physical ability to use it :) (Machamp or Electabuzz for example)
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:42 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchokoInc View Post
Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh no :D

I meant move tutors not the move relearner :D

Move tutors are for example the two guys after Mt. Moon who teach Mega Punch and Mega Kick to your Pokémon or the guy who teaches Softboiled :D

And I'm pretty sure it isn't type based as not all normal typed pokémon can learn softboiled

Especially as I want that for example fire punch can be learned by every pokémon who has the physical ability to use it (Machamp or Electabuzz for example)
Just looking at it, it isn't based in egg moves, move pools, or tm/hm learnability. I'm going to look at the scripts, I wonder if there is more to this....

Edit: Nevermind, I'm stupid:p. All move tutor moves are TM's, so just change the move that the move tutor gives and the TM which contains it.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 6th, 2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM
makayta
Unhatched Egg

I've noticed that when I try and use some moves, the rom glitches and either freezes, or acts as if it was an item and doesn't let the other pokemon attack (like earthquake, rest, giga drain, recover, and moves with equivalent effects). Is there a way to fix the effects of these attacks to not glitch out? I want them to have the same effects that they normally do.
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:39 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by makayta View Post
I've noticed that when I try and use some moves, the rom glitches and either freezes, or acts as if it was an item and doesn't let the other pokemon attack (like earthquake, rest, giga drain, recover, and moves with equivalent effects). Is there a way to fix the effects of these attacks to not glitch out? I want them to have the same effects that they normally do.
This means you corrupted the images that are used for the attacks. I have fixed it, but just doing two moves took almost 7 hours. I had to go through the entire data un-Lz and compare it to a clean rom and find the attack animation that was wrong. Then, you have to open up the offset it should be at and repair the hex coding to its original state.

It is a long and tedious process, so if you aren't too far into a hack, I would just start over. To prevent this from happening again, compile dynamically whenever possible.

I can show you how to recover it, if you feel that you can't start over.

Paired with Simba
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Flame999

Nature: Calm
Help i don't what to do I'm trying to put Water Pulse as a move tutor

this is my script
'-----------------------
#org 0x740034
lock
faceplayer
setvar 0x8005 0x160
special 0x18D
waitstate
lock
faceplayer
release
end

what did i do wrong i have no clue
- New Tiles
- New Trainer sprites
- New Map for Hoenn (replace Sevii islands)
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Gym leaders
Finished making the Hoenn & Kanto Elite four and Champions

Old February 7th, 2013, 03:54 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame999 View Post
Help i don't what to do I'm trying to put Water Pulse as a move tutor

this is my script
'-----------------------
#org 0x740034
lock
faceplayer
setvar 0x8005 0x160
special 0x18D
waitstate
lock
faceplayer
release
end

what did i do wrong i have no clue
I'll assume you used the move tutor edited to add that move to your move tutor.

The value of 0x8005 should contain the hex number for the move tutor.

Also, why do you have lock & faceplayer in there twice? Once activated, they don't need to be used again until after you release.

Edit: And water pulse needs to be a TM, that is how they do compatibility.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 7th, 2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Flame999

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I'll assume you used the move tutor edited to add that move to your move tutor.

The value of 0x8005 should contain the hex number for the move tutor.

Also, why do you have lock & faceplayer in there twice? Once activated, they don't need to be used again until after you release.
that my be cause I'm using Pksv for my scripts and No i didn't edited any I add and when go to the guy the screen goes red
- New Tiles
- New Trainer sprites

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:08 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
that my be cause I'm using Pksv for my scripts and No i didn't edited any I add and when go to the guy the screen goes red
Okay, the verify that there is a move tutor 0x160.

Paired with Simba
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Flame999

Quote:
Okay, the verify that there is a move tutor 0x160.
I don't know what move tutor that is but I took out the extra Lock and faceplayer and it's still red and freezing
- New Tiles
- New Trainer sprites

Old February 7th, 2013, 01:06 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
I don't know what move tutor that is but I took out the extra Lock and faceplayer and it's still red and freezing
If memory serves, there is a limited amount of Move Tutors. Which means to make one, you must replace one. So, find a move tutor and steal his/her ID. Then modify the data in a TM editor and Move Tutor editer.

Paired with Simba
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I'm pretty sure I've done this before but it's slipped my mind and I can't seem to work it.

How do you get two sprites to move at the same time once activating a script? i.e The Team Rocket Script in Pokemon Yellow.

Old February 7th, 2013, 02:26 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I'm pretty sure I've done this before but it's slipped my mind and I can't seem to work it.

How do you get two sprites to move at the same time once activating a script? i.e The Team Rocket Script in Pokemon Yellow.
If you are using applymovement and not a follow me type thing:

applymovement 0x(NPC1) @move1
applymovement 0x(NPC2) @move2(or move1 if you want them to have the same movements)
waitmovement 0x0

Just set them both to move and put the waitmovement after. This will wait for both of them to move at the same time.

Paired with Simba
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
It's fine now, I've got it working thanks.

Old February 7th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Flame999

Quote:
If memory serves, there is a limited amount of Move Tutors. Which means to make one, you must replace one. So, find a move tutor and steal his/her ID. Then modify the data in a TM editor and Move Tutor editer.
Crap oh well I guess I'll do that
- New Tiles
- New Trainer sprites

Old February 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM
makayta
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
This means you corrupted the images that are used for the attacks. I have fixed it, but just doing two moves took almost 7 hours. I had to go through the entire data un-Lz and compare it to a clean rom and find the attack animation that was wrong. Then, you have to open up the offset it should be at and repair the hex coding to its original state.

It is a long and tedious process, so if you aren't too far into a hack, I would just start over. To prevent this from happening again, compile dynamically whenever possible.

I can show you how to recover it, if you feel that you can't start over.
Thank you for the response. However, I don't think the animations are the problem, since when I change what the effect of the attack does the animation works fine and doesn't crash. The actual effects of the attack editor i use (absorbs half of inflicted damage; double damage on pokemon using Dig; user faints; recover half of maximum hp) are the ones that seem to not be working. I can switch the effect of an attack to a similar working one. like replacing the effect of Recover with the effect of Moonlight, but not every move has an alternative.
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:35 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Thank you for the response. However, I don't think the animations are the problem, since when I change what the effect of the attack does the animation works fine and doesn't crash. The actual effects of the attack editor i use (absorbs half of inflicted damage; double damage on pokemon using Dig; user faints; recover half of maximum hp) are the ones that seem to not be working. I can switch the effect of an attack to a similar working one. like replacing the effect of Recover with the effect of Moonlight, but not every move has an alternative.
Oh, well, you still have corruption of data. If you can, find the section of the gam where the effects are stored and compare it to a clean copy of the game and make the necessary repairs. It could be bad pointers in the effect table, or corrupted data at the locations the pointers point to.

I don't know where the table is so you will have to find it. Personally, it might be easier to start your hack over if you aren't too far in. Always compile dynamically to prevent this from happening.

Paired with Simba
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:53 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Oh, well, you still have corruption of data. If you can, find the section of the gam where the effects are stored and compare it to a clean copy of the game and make the necessary repairs. It could be bad pointers in the effect table, or corrupted data at the locations the pointers point to.

I don't know where the table is so you will have to find it. Personally, it might be easier to start your hack over if you aren't too far in. Always compile dynamically to prevent this from happening.
That, or you could just find where the image was, and overwrite all the different data including the image with that of a clean rom until you get to something that hasn't been changed.. It might save a good bit of time.
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
That, or you could just find where the image was, and overwrite all the different data including the image with that of a clean rom until you get to something that hasn't been changed.. It might save a good bit of time.
Same thing. It was finding the image that took the time I just replaced all of the hex code in that general area with the corresponding area in the clean rom.

Also, the problem has now turned into it being the actual effects, such as causing poison or one-hit KO that are the problem. You wouldn't happen to know where those were stored, would you?

Edit: and it has been years since I have had to read pig-latin:p took me a while how to remember how to do it.

Paired with Simba
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:51 PM
HyperXhydra

I'm a beginner hacker, Can someone please tell me where I can find a tutorial for hacking the battle graphics, background.., I've searched but couldn't find..., I'm using ruby.
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperXhydra View Post
I'm a beginner hacker, Can someone please tell me where I can find a tutorial for hacking the battle graphics, background.., I've searched but couldn't find..., I'm using ruby.
I feel you, I am a Ruby hacker also. The tutorial will be the same for FireRed and Ruby, just different locations I'm the rom.

Here is one by a great hacker who goes by thethethethe: http://thethethethesromhacking.weebl...d-hacking.html

It is for FireRed, however, so you will need to just find the proper locations.

This is a seperate one for just general graphics: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186125

The tile set (the mashed up image) contains everything in the tile map, just no duplicates. These can be created in Sphere fairly easily if needed.

Paired with Simba
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:20 PM
makayta
Unhatched Egg

Quote:

Alright I guess I'll start over, then. I am only having one serious problem now. A-trainer won't work with my rom. I have seen the question asked multiple times but could never find an answer. Anyway, this is what it says:

Subscript out of range.
Drawtile8@modLZ77

I have struggled with this for a few days, and it seems to happen with every Emerald rom I try. Any suggestions?
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:31 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Alright I guess I'll start over, then. I am only having one serious problem now. A-trainer won't work with my rom. I have seen the question asked multiple times but could never find an answer. Anyway, this is what it says:

Subscript out of range.
Drawtile8@modLZ77

I have struggled with this for a few days, and it seems to happen with every Emerald rom I try. Any suggestions?
My clean BPEE rom works fine. Just tested it now. You are using 0.9.1, right?

I feel bad that you have to start over, hopefully you can recover any maps and such by saving them. Also, this is why it helps to save your scripts, just so you only have to insert them again later. Remember, dynamic or make sure you have well more than enough free space.

Paired with Simba
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:45 PM
makayta
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
My clean BPEE rom works fine. Just tested it now. You are using 0.9.1, right?

I feel bad that you have to start over, hopefully you can recover any maps and such by saving them. Also, this is why it helps to save your scripts, just so you only have to insert them again later. Remember, dynamic or make sure you have well more than enough free space.
I'm using whatever version came with the GBA Pokemon Game Editor. I tried downloading a-trainer seperately and it still isn't working. I tried the same rom you said works, but it still doesn't work. Can you provide a link to the version you are using?
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:03 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
I'm using whatever version came with the GBA Pokemon Game Editor. I tried downloading a-trainer seperately and it still isn't working. I tried the same rom you said works, but it still doesn't work. Can you provide a link to the version you are using?
Re-download A-trainer. Also I'm not sure if it's compatible on a MAC, if that's what you're using.

Hacks I support:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297199 --Legend of Anbuja
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200227 -- Pokemon Rose version

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:05 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Go into help in A-trainer and click about. There you will see the version number on the right. I am using the one in HackMew's toolbox I believe.

Paired with Simba
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links