The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:14 AM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Advertise here
Pokemon Apollo BETA 0.3

Hack of Pokemon Fire Red

Intro:

Hello Pokecommunity, I am MrDollSteak (on an old account), I've been hacking very basically for a few years now, my main focus is with spriting, pokemon design etc. However I was inspired by a friend working on a hack with fakemon to get involved in my own hack. I decided rather than creating new fakemon, I'd make a more artistic hack of FireRed with changes primarily in the storyline, tilesets and sprites. I had to learn scripting, hex editing and a few other skills such as basic ASM, but in only a month I have to say that progress has been very good, despite a few bugs. Since I have always loved Team Rocket, I felt suddenly inspired to make a Team Rocket centric hack. I've seen a few hacks that have explored this theme, but personally felt they didn't encapsulate the spirit of Team Rocket and were missing basic changes such as custom tilesets or sprites. I am still by no means the best hacker out there, but I feel some of the scripts, sprites and tiles set the game apart from Firered and other Team Rocket hacks.

Storyline:
Spoiler:

You wake up in your bed in Team Rocket Headquarters, It is your first day on the job. You leave your room and are told that Giovanni has summoned you. You enter his office, and he rewards you with your first pokemon. After proving yourself, he sends you on your first mission: to steal the TM from the man in Cerulean City. You slowly work your way through the ranks of Team Rocket, and undergo several missions, that take you from Mt. Moon, to the fall of Giovanni and to Team Rocket's revival in Johto.

The most current beta features:[LIST][*]You being chased by the Saffron City Officers, and culminates in the stealing an advanced storage disk from a Silph Co. Developer.[*]You beating up Pokemaniac Bill, and eventually reaching Mt. Moon and stealing ancient fossils.[*]You ending a lightweight rival gang, and finally attacking Lavender Tower and stealing Cubone Skulls.

Screenshots:

Disclaimer:
Spoiler:

BETA 0.3 is incompatible with previous saves if you have saved in Mt. Moon after beating Jessie and James.
This was mainly done, as many Pokemon have really different movesets now and there are a few tweaks of the earlier content.
For those that have previous saves, feel free to carry them over, but I personally believe that starting again may be beneficial,
just to experience the new move sets of the Pokemon.

New Features:
Spoiler:
  • Play as a Team Rocket Grunt
  • New starter Pokemon (Ekans, Koffing, Grimer)
  • Gyms no longer exist, instead badges are earned through completing different Team Rocket related missions. In this case the stealing of the Secret Key in Cerulean City, the stealing of the Fossils in Mt. Moon, and the stealing of Cubone Skulls in Pokemon Tower.
  • Play with Generation 1 and 2 pokemon with updated sprites and move sets.
  • Physical and Special split (Currently without icons in the status screen)
  • Gen 4 and 5 moves, along with a few custom moves for otherwise forgettable Pokemon.
  • New TM/HM List, and New Move Tutors.
  • See characters from the anime, that you would normally never see.
  • Steal your very own Pokemon and items! Cities and houses may have interactable Pokemon and items that will prompt a trainer battle, where as your reward you receive their Pokemon or item.
  • New Item: Glow Stone. The Glow Stone evolves all Pokemon that would normally evolve by trade.
  • Cosmetic Day and Night System

Future Features:
Spoiler:
  • Possible Generation 4 evolutions of existing Kanto and Johto Pokemon that will be available in the postgame.
  • Updated OW's and Trainer Sprites for every trainer in the game.
  • Indoor custom Tilesets.
  • TM Vendor in Rocket HQ
  • Custom Trainer Card and Badges
  • HG/SS intro screens for landmarks, such as Mt. Moon
  • Different wild pokemon at night.

Bugs/Glitches:

Spoiler:
  • Palette problems with Male and Female Hero sprite after naming, general problems with the rival sprite.
  • One mart member has no script.
  • When you temporarily leave the screen and return to it, i.e battle or opening a menu, while on the map with James his palette will turn all yellow.
  • Your reflection is yellow.
  • The first gym cutscene's hidesprite command is not fast enough.
  • During the Saffron City Police Chase, if one of your Pokemon faint, and you are left with only one Pokemon, the second double battle will glitch.
  • Occasional text color or facing issues, because of lazy scripting.
  • Some doors (Mt. Moon Square) the Door animation has an odd palette
  • Mt Moon Square currently has Mt. Ember's intro screen.

Green = Easily fixed / working on
Orange = Vaguely aware how to fix, haven't given it much time
Red = Not entirely sure how to fix

These are the known glitches, if for some reason you encounter any others feel free to let me know.
Additionally, if any of you know the solution to any of these glitches, any help would be much obliged.

Credits to:
Spoiler:

Gamefreak - Making Pokemon Firered
Aureus - Beta Tester, General Support and Help with Ideas, Concepts, and Continuity
Zaerosz - Scripting help, ASM Help with Sprite Insertion
JPAN - Fire Red Hacked Engine
Omega Zero - Battle background help
Dr. Fuji - Battle background tutorial
Tajaros - Help with Battle Backgroudns, Sprites for Onix, Backsprite for Nidoking
Spherical Ice - Text for the updated Titlescreen
Hackmew - All the wonderful tools, Pokedex Fix, Running shoes anywhere
Primedialga - Day, Night, Season Tool
Shinyquagsire - Day and Night Wild Pokemon Data Editor
Diegoisawesome - Amazing XSE tutorial
WesleyFG - Cerulean House
Troock - Support banners
Various Tutorials by other great hackers who's names currently elude me
If anyone out there feels they have helped me in someway feel free to let me know and I will add you to the list, it is not deliberate I assure you, I just haven't recorded the names of some of the tutorial makers.

Support Banner:

Credits to Troock for making this!

Download Link:

Last edited by MrDollSteak; May 12th, 2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Added user banners.
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM
jstolze

I'm surprised that I'm the first poster here :/

Anyways, I look forward to playing this! Looks nice, and I love the starters!
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:29 PM
VERGUNDAI
RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker

Nature: Quiet
Nice, I love how you redone the tileset in HGSS style.

BTW did you edit all of Firered maps?
Just wondering cuz that'd be awesome, replaying the Kanto region in this style on the GBA
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:42 PM
mikethepokemaster

Nature: Jolly
i am about to try this looks awesome!
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM
JamZx

Looks great man! You're working alone in this hack?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:24 PM
MrDollSteak

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the support so far, in reference to a few of the questions.

Quote:
BTW did you edit all of Firered maps?
Just wondering cuz that'd be awesome, replaying the Kanto region in this style on the GBA
I have not currently edited all the Kanto maps, however I will in the future. At this stage there are a few cities I haven't planned to implement (Cinnabar Island, Pewter City, Pallet Town, etc.) To compensate, I will include cities and routes in Johto such as Goldenrod City, and Mahogany Town, the main areas where Team Rocket stirs up trouble.

Quote:
Looks great man! You're working alone in this hack?
Yes I am currently working alone in this hack, I've consulted a few friends in regards to glitches, but I'm doing all the work. I am open to accept help once I need it (probably ASM work, and bug fixing).
Old February 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Azure
» e l e c t r i c
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I recognize those tilesets from HGSS, they look great! I also love the fact that this is a Rocket Hack which aren't that common.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, nice work!

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:24 PM
zennyboiz
Wailord Extraordinaire

I'm excited to play this! Haven't seen a Team Rocket playable hack before.
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Wow, this looks really nice.
Reminds me of Toxic Purple =)
I'll surely play this =)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影

Nature: Naughty
This hack looks awesome I love the intro! Is there more in the storyline? it seems short. Your mapping needs improvements too.
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:53 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkish Purple View Post
This hack looks awesome I love the intro! Is there more in the storyline? it seems short. Your mapping needs improvements too.
The storyline in the document only describes the first two gyms, and even then it is in less detail than the actual game. The game is in fact fairly storyline driven, I just don't want to reveal too much at this point. Think all the things that Team Rocket do in Firered, Leafgreen, Heartgold and Soulsilver. That's the main story.

Do you have any specific points to talk about in reference to the mapping? I would also like to point out some of the maps are actually outdated.
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:51 AM
MrDollSteak

Download Link is up for all those interested!
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bayerf1 View Post
Do you have any specific points to talk about in reference to the mapping? I would also like to point out some of the maps are actually outdated.
Here is the whole list:

Before we begin, your indoor mapping is okay. Just thought I'd say that first.

1) 3rd row, 4th screenshot. (all will be counted from the left.)

The grass (note: grass, not bush) needs darker coloring, and a bit more detail, but don't overdo them.)

2) 4th row, 1st screenshot.

The map looks really plain. Add more flowers or maybe a tree or two.

3) 4th row, 2nd screenshot.

That line of green stone thingies (which I'd call ''plant'' from now on) seem really unnatural. Try adding a variety of restrictors like fences, green hedges etc.

Same applies for the 3rd (and 4th) screenshots.

4) 5th row, 1st screenshot.

Looks plain too, add those smaller trees, or even bigger trees if you are confident about your tiling. (By bigger tree, I refer to the 12-blocked versions)

5) Final row, 2nd and 3rd screenshots.

Add more rocks. The cave looks very unnatural.

6) Final row, 5th screenshot.

Way too little details in the in the dessert.

Don't worry, beginner mappers are like that. The thing u must remember is to never EVER get help for your mapping. Advices and tips from others are okay, but don't depend on other mappers or you will never learn mapping yourself. I will VM you a small mapping tutorial my cousin made.
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:17 AM
AmazingCharizard
Pokemon Rocket Strike creator

Nature: Brave
Really great that you want to make a Team Rocket hack. Fuligin was quite a good hack and there were some other attempts, hope that you make it better. Looks very promising(I´m working on a hack where you work for Team Rocket, too). Good luck and don´t surrender.
EDIT: By the way. how far does it go yet?
EDIT2: Just saw, 2nd gym.

Check out my hack "Pokemon Rocket Strike" http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319844
How to patch a rom:
1.Download the patch. If it is in a zip file then use a free tool named WinRar to unzip the file.
2.Use Google to find the rom you need.
3.PATCH THAT THING AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Last edited by AmazingCharizard; February 6th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:12 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Ugh, another woof about Team Rocket :(
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:09 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Here is the whole list:

Before we begin, your indoor mapping is okay. Just thought I'd say that first.

1) 3rd row, 4th screenshot. (all will be counted from the left.)

The grass (note: grass, not bush) needs darker coloring, and a bit more detail, but don't overdo them.)

2) 4th row, 1st screenshot.

The map looks really plain. Add more flowers or maybe a tree or two.

3) 4th row, 2nd screenshot.

That line of green stone thingies (which I'd call ''plant'' from now on) seem really unnatural. Try adding a variety of restrictors like fences, green hedges etc.

Same applies for the 3rd (and 4th) screenshots.

4) 5th row, 1st screenshot.

Looks plain too, add those smaller trees, or even bigger trees if you are confident about your tiling. (By bigger tree, I refer to the 12-blocked versions)

5) Final row, 2nd and 3rd screenshots.

Add more rocks. The cave looks very unnatural.

6) Final row, 5th screenshot.

Way too little details in the in the dessert.

Don't worry, beginner mappers are like that. The thing u must remember is to never EVER get help for your mapping. Advices and tips from others are okay, but don't depend on other mappers or you will never learn mapping yourself. I will VM you a small mapping tutorial my cousin made.
I would like to point out that I am by no means a beginner mapper. I have been mapping for a long period of time. Additionally, I would like to point out that outside of flowers, these maps are the ones that Game Freak has made for Firered and Leafgreen, with slight alterations to make them appear as they do in Heartgold and Soulsilver, with a significant tileset change. Mt. Moon looks like that in both Firered and Heartgold. Also the grass is official Heartgold grass.

I realise that you are trying to help, and I understand some of your concerns, but considering the maps are based off of existing Kanto maps from Nintendo, it is not necessarily my fault that certain things can be considered plain.

Last edited by MrDollSteak; February 6th, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:26 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
Ugh, another woof about Team Rocket
Hahaha I get your point, it is fairly overdone. My main
reason for making a hack about Team Rocket was that
I felt other hacks didn't necessarily feel particularly
gripping or powerful. I hope mine will, partially due to
the graphics and increased difficulty.
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:52 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

I think would really set this hack apart.
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
looking at the media i thought it was a HG/SS hack till i read "FireRed Hack:" nice job.
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Fonzy95

Great hack man! I appreciate alternative things with classic Pokemon instead of the tipical journey through the region; I've always be a fan of James (we both have the same haircut xD)

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:29 AM
AmazingCharizard
Pokemon Rocket Strike creator

Nature: Brave
What I think of your hack:
Mapping:Okay, not bad, you can still improve that.
Story/Scripting: So far actually good. I´m not an experienced hacker and I didn´t finish the hack yet, but I really like some of your ideas.
Graphics: I HATE THE GRAS! Sorry, don´t wanna insult you, I just hate the gras you put there. Some may like, I don´t :D
Jessie & James looked not good enough yet, also why do they give you their Meowth actually?
What I liked are the sprites of Team Rocket. What you could add is "gender recognition": the policemen called my beautiful Rocket girl a man, not very nice
I´m not sure if you did that with purpose or not: First of all, why did you choose Grimer as a starter? I think you can find a better one maybe. Besides, as I said above? Are your Pokemon meant to be not that strong? Since you´re a grunt who just started?
Don´t wanna discourage you, I want to encourage you: There are already some nice ideas and I would love to play the hack when it´s finished in high quality. Good luck, buddy!

Check out my hack "Pokemon Rocket Strike" http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319844
How to patch a rom:
1.Download the patch. If it is in a zip file then use a free tool named WinRar to unzip the file.
2.Use Google to find the rom you need.
3.PATCH THAT THING AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingCharizard View Post
What I think of your hack:
Mapping:Okay, not bad, you can still improve that.
Story/Scripting: So far actually good. I´m not an experienced hacker and I didn´t finish the hack yet, but I really like some of your ideas.
Graphics: I HATE THE GRAS! Sorry, don´t wanna insult you, I just hate the gras you put there. Some may like, I don´t :D
Jessie & James looked not good enough yet, also why do they give you their Meowth actually?
What I liked are the sprites of Team Rocket. What you could add is "gender recognition": the policemen called my beautiful Rocket girl a man, not very nice
I´m not sure if you did that with purpose or not: First of all, why did you choose Grimer as a starter? I think you can find a better one maybe. Besides, as I said above? Are your Pokemon meant to be not that strong? Since you´re a grunt who just started?
Don´t wanna discourage you, I want to encourage you: There are already some nice ideas and I would love to play the hack when it´s finished in high quality. Good luck, buddy!
Hahaha, I'm sorry but the Grass is going to stay, it's the official one from HG/SS so I want to keep it to keep up the aesthetic. They give you their Meowth under Giovanni's orders.
I chose Grimer as a starter because it is a 2 stage Poison Type pokemon like Ekans and Koffing. I found that the difficulty level is just as difficult with Grimer in the medium stages, even though it provides a mild advantage when leaving the hideout. Additionally since it evolves at lvl 38, it is actually a risk to use it, as it will become very weak by the late stages.
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bayerf1 View Post
I would like to point out that I am by no means a beginner mapper. I have been mapping for a long period of time. Additionally, I would like to point out that outside of flowers, these maps are the ones that Game Freak has made for Firered and Leafgreen, with slight alterations to make them appear as they do in Heartgold and Soulsilver, with a significant tileset change. Mt. Moon looks like that in both Firered and Heartgold. Also the grass is official Heartgold grass.

I realise that you are trying to help, and I understand some of your concerns, but considering the maps are based off of existing Kanto maps from Nintendo, it is not necessarily my fault that certain things can be considered plain.
Oh! Pardon my ignorance, kind sir. I didn't notice you were making a Johto based hack. That makes you not a bad mapper. So the mapping is based on the 2nd gen hack or the 4th gen one? 2nd gen games have rather bad mapping.
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:58 PM
SSJ4 Furanki
Got my Zoroark and everything!

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Oh! Pardon my ignorance, kind sir. I didn't notice you were making a Johto based hack. That makes you not a bad mapper. So the mapping is based on the 2nd gen hack or the 4th gen one? 2nd gen games have rather bad mapping.
He's been basing them off of HeartGold and SoulSilver's mapping.

My X/Y Team:

Old February 7th, 2013, 01:33 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
I've been doing it off of the Heartgold and Soulsiver maps. So far the maps that have appeared in the game are solely in Kanto. They use Kanto's base maps with the Heartgold tiles and slight alterations to landscaping to make them look more like the Heartgold Maps.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here