The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Forum Games
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Forum Games It's time to save yourself from the everyday trials and tribulations of your vigorous post day. Welcome to Forum Games, where the only posts are frantic fun and hilarious hijinks.


Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle

Advertise here

PRETTIEST PROFILE CONTEST
Suggestions Thread


( I was going to make this prettier but lazy. Deal with it.)

As you can tell the Prettiest Profile Contest hasn't exactly been up for months. There are several reasons why this could be, but one of them is due to the lack of wanting the new one to arrive. In the past when it was time for the new PPC people would ask where it was. That, and we had volunteers who would help host the PPC. However, the past few PPCs have (mostly) been hosting by yours truly and both of us would really enjoy the help that was given in the past.

There were two or three ideas tossed around in the blog I had posted, and while not many people posted to it and offered ideas the ones that were tossed around are ones I would love to give more discussion to. I like to do things in steps, which is why I had posted a blog in the first place. That, and at the time a blog was quicker since with a thread I would have had to contact Netto first.

But now that there is more to discuss I want to lay down some things on the floor for people to discuss. When finished we can definitely see about picking the Prettiest Profile Contest again for both Other Trivia and Pokemon Trivia. Here are the ideas.

Past Winners allowing to participate
It's been speculated that the reason why the PPC isn't as strong as it was before was because those that were interested had already won and thus there were many people who were finding it interesting as a result. With allowing past winners to participate it'll up the competition once again and hopefully spark some activity as a result. While I'm certain this idea will be put into play some ideas/details on how this should go would be very much appreciated. As a note though: we sort of want to avoid making a second emblem for the PPC, and we're not going to give out the emblem twice. But let's see what you all come up with.

Possible Themes for the contests
Rather than simply having the same thing every time perhaps themes would make the contest more exciting? At the very least we wouldn't be seeing the same profiles trying to win again and again especially if we allow past winners to come and participate again. Pokemon theme, of course, would be for the PT PPC and other themes, such as perhaps 'school' or 'flowers' will so into the normal PPC here in Other Trivia.

Timespan between each contest
Back when it first started it was one every three months or so. Then it was one for each Trivia forum every season (so eight in total). However, that in itself is a bit much so we're looking to possibly change how long it should be between each contest. One idea is one for each season, so two in Pokemon Trivia and two in Other Trivia. Would that be all right or would anyone like to propose another idea for the timespan. Note that if you want to keep it the way it was we would definitely need more of the following:

Volunteers
In the past we had a ton of people who wanted to host the next PPC. But now no one really does. We would love people to step up and host the PPC again, and with this one I wouldn't mind making an emblem for those who do host it. However, I don't want to regret making the emblem for when everyone has the emblem there is no one volunteering so any other suggestions would be nice. I would rather not want to go back to how it currently is haha. As a note here: hosting the contest is two people. The one who sets the contest and does the CSS and keeps tracks of who joined while the second person has the important job of receiving and keeping track of the votes.

Voting process will stay the same. There have never been any problems with that way of voting and I don't want to try to change something that isn't broken.

I think that's about the gist of it. Any other suggestions that you have that isn't a part of anything above you're still welcome to suggest/ask/etc etc!
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #2    
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Squirrel's Avatar
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
It'd be great to see the PPC coming back into play.

Past Winners allowing to participate
Without any kind of prize it's difficult to see why people would want to enter again, but there's no way to know without trying so it's a good idea to let them take part. Contests like the C&M Reviews contest have supporter tiers as prizes, so perhaps you could look into doing likewise with the PPC? It'd certainly spur on the non-supporter category (assuming they'll still be divided) and I'm sure the supporters category wouldn't mind an extra tier or two from taking part. The only down-side I see is that members that haven't won may feel pressured by taking part with previous winners; but we won't see if that's a problem till it happens. Also on this note, it could be interesting after a few more PPCs have run to see a PPC where only previous winners can take part - sort of a competition of 'PC's best designers'. It goes without saying that if previous winners do enter these contests again, they shouldn't be able to re-enter an old profile.

Possible Themes for the contests
I love this idea! To be honest I'm kinda surprised it wasn't put into place before haha. It's possible that people might not want to keep a themed profile for the duration of the contest, but I think having themed contests would definitely make things a lot more interesting. It'd give people an easier time deciding what profiles to make and this'd hopefully encourage people whom in the past haven't entered due to a lack of ideas to enter now since the theme has already half been decided for them. Plus it'll be a lot easier for people to vote/compare profiles due to them not differing in such extreme ways.

Timespan between each contest
I think seasonal works best. As in Summer/Spring/Winter/Autumn. 4 a year per section wouldn't be too much if each contest runs for a say a month, especially if previous winners can now enter, but even so this doesn't have to be decided right away. Perhaps base the decision of how frequent the contests will be on the activity of the next contest. If people have fair warning of when the next contests will be (eg the 1st day of every 3rd month) then they'd have time to prepare and stack up some ideas for when the time comes. Although if unfortunately the next contests aren't so active, then there's no harm in holding them only bi-annually or annually.

Volunteers
I'll volunteer for helping run the PT PPCs when the time comes. Whether it's hosting the contest or collecting/tallying votes, I'll be more than happy to help. I'd love to see this contest being a really active event.

Anything Else?
I think having prizes for 2nd/3rd place would be good. I think it'd definitely encourage some people that are less confident about their designs to enter since they won't have the mentality of "There's no point entering with all these amazing profiles to go up against" if there are more prizes on offer. I know I've personally been in this frame of mind with previous contests back when I first noticed them taking place, so I really think this'd help. What those prizes are though is a different matter; I expect they'd probably end up as emblems since there isn't a whole lot else to offer (which would also make the supporter tier thing mentioned above even more sought after for 1st place contenders), but if there are alternative ideas then it'd be interesting to see something new or different as a prize than a standard set of emblems.

Also more advertising for the contest wouldn't hurt. Eg for one of the previous PPCs, the Pokemon Clubs IRC channel got wind of it and 5 or 6 of us ended up entering as a result. If this was applied to other channels too and other places like blogs etc (although I know you've already tried that), then it certainly wouldn't hurt the activity.

(By the way the colon key on my keyboard is broken so when you're reading that back, imagine it's full of smilies to make it seem more fun and exciting!)
__________________
  #3    
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
I don't know about this contest at all so here are my god-honest opinions. If I'm wrong about how something worked in the past just tell me :)

Past winners n stuff

I wouldn't mind if I we had past winners participate, but there should be a limit on how often. If someone was taking the lead every single time, it might be discouraging after a while. People will think "Oh, I won't bother to join, because --- is gonna win anyways, so it's just gonna be a waste of my time to bother." So a limit of 2 or 3 contests between winning won't be that bad, and people will see winners (or at least a couple of them switching around) and be a little less discouraged about it.

Themes

Yes, duh. Every contest show has it...why not?

One could be held in PT and the other in OT. The PT contests could be Pokémon-themed according to the season, and the OT could be be anything BinaryPeaches and Netto wills. Just a suggestion.

Time between

A contest a season would be okay. On the solstices and equinoxes would be a great deadline! It would bring out the Midsummer partying mood or something like that.

Volunteers

Yes, if I see how this contest runs <3

derp

Yes, the prizes. An emblem would be nice though it would get boring. A prize for a recurring winner could be something like a blog/supportership. And given that only two people can win twice in a year or two (and more realistically about one or none if we include the "limit to winning" rule) it's not like a flood of blogs/supporterships will result.

And if it's not that, an emblem would be fine, and I would be more than happy to join if I could get something out of it. Just a tiny prize would be a bigger incentive to win than nothing. I know people like me still have only one or none emblems and earning them is kinda rewarding :) lols
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


  #4    
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
Gonna wait for more suggestions, have others possibly respond to what have been put up, before tackling these current ones myself but I will say that we do already have an Emblem (in response to droomph's prize suggestion) already for the PPC.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #5    
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Riku's Avatar
Riku
Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I completely agree that having themes would be a good incentive for people to participate more. And not just the generally generic themes of "summer" or "winter" or whatever either. Creative themes would be a good thing I think, with perhaps unique Emblems for each one? That seems like it would also encourage more people to participate-- people like new emblems/prizes. Giving them unique ones every time doesn't seem that difficult a feat, plus it's new and fresh sorta.

Also, expanding on the topic of prizes, maybe we could talk about a potential Supportership or something for multiple winners or w/e. Or, perhaps even something along the lines of having at the end of the year like a profiles finals, where all four winners for the year are voted on again to decide who wins and get a special emblem for that as well. Or give a/the supportship to the victor.

Also, as far as helping goes, like I've said before: I am glad to help with anything so long as it doesn't require me to use any kind of fancy coding :V
__________________
pairfamilycredittheme

  #6    
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Dakota's Avatar
Dakota
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Past Winners allowing to participate
Yes! Do it, it'll definitely spark a flame and rekindle the competition. In tandem with the theme restraint, it'll make for some competition that I feel is fair. As for a possbile prize, why not both the right to determine the theme of the next competition? Obviously have the person run it by the mods, but I feel that's a neat prize. As for personal merit, seeing as the emblem's already there, I have two options. The first is a little big, and I dunno if it'd be possible. But possible have your username decorated fancy, or colored fancy, something of the sort? Perhaps have an emblem in tandem of that. But I feel it goes with the who PPC feel. My second idea really only works for non PC Supporters, I just realized. But have them obtain the benefits the PCSs have? (I believe it was a background, or something... I forget). As for current PC Supporters, perhaps... something. I'll have to get back on this.

One mandatory prize (look at me, being all bossy) would be a a Hall of Fame of sorts. We all need our egos fed. The winners names should go down in history, and this is the best way to do it!



Possible Themes for the contests

Like I said earlier, I'm totally down for themes. You can really do a lot, and capture emotions, you know? The possibilities are endless. Pokemon related ones can be "types". Hell, the host (and helpers?) can be creative and randomly assign a contestant a particular type he'll have to try to recreate with his profile. Of course, close management will be needed, but it CAN be pulled off! As for non-Pokemon themes, that's not that hard either. You can try an idea similar to one I just said, assigning themes. A little harder, but possible. Have a general topic, and distribute. Seasons is an easy one, have that as the theme, and randomly assign one of the four seasons. Try to distribute them evenly, and obviously there HAS to be repeated themes. Wouldn't be a contest that way.

Timespan between each contest

Timespan BETWEEN contesests: 3 months. It's worked before, I feel like it could work again. But extending it to 4 or even 5 wont be too bad. It'd raise the prestige of the contest.

As for timespan OF the contest: 1 month. I feel like that's fair. 2 weeks for entry, and two for votes. Very lenient, no?


Volunteers

Given that I was a trailblazer for this contest, I feel like I must volunteer. And I will!
  #7    
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Um, I would just like to say, all great ideas. Though the colored username one would mean they would have to make a new usergroup for each winner, which would seem kinda wasteful of space :P

and as for gaining the supportership things, it's pretty much what gaining a supportership tier is all about. It's not too outrageous to give like, what, three people a year one or two supportership tiers, and contests have done that in the past.

so yeap
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


  #8    
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
Okay time to buckle down and take these posts apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
Past Winners allowing to participate
Without any kind of prize it's difficult to see why people would want to enter again, but there's no way to know without trying so it's a good idea to let them take part. Contests like the C&M Reviews contest have supporter tiers as prizes, so perhaps you could look into doing likewise with the PPC? It'd certainly spur on the non-supporter category (assuming they'll still be divided) and I'm sure the supporters category wouldn't mind an extra tier or two from taking part. The only down-side I see is that members that haven't won may feel pressured by taking part with previous winners; but we won't see if that's a problem till it happens. Also on this note, it could be interesting after a few more PPCs have run to see a PPC where only previous winners can take part - sort of a competition of 'PC's best designers'. It goes without saying that if previous winners do enter these contests again, they shouldn't be able to re-enter an old profile.
I wouldn't mind giving out supportership. The only problem I see with this is the fact that unlike the other events that have given out supportship (other than the Egg Swap, which is still more rare than how often the PPC will be) the PPC happens several times a year. Even if we break it down to one PPC each season it's still more PPCs in a year. Perhaps the supportership is only giving out to members who have won more than one contest. That way the first time they win the emblem is the prize. Though with that in mind I would want to keep the supportership a one maybe two time thing. That said, I don't want it to end up having the same concern with making another emblem and people stop playing once they receive those supporterships.

I do like the idea of possibly running a side PPC with just previous winners.

Quote:
Possible Themes for the contests
I love this idea! To be honest I'm kinda surprised it wasn't put into place before haha. It's possible that people might not want to keep a themed profile for the duration of the contest, but I think having themed contests would definitely make things a lot more interesting. It'd give people an easier time deciding what profiles to make and this'd hopefully encourage people whom in the past haven't entered due to a lack of ideas to enter now since the theme has already half been decided for them. Plus it'll be a lot easier for people to vote/compare profiles due to them not differing in such extreme ways.
Perhaps Netto and I can run a poll here in Other Trivia before the actual PPC with some theme ideas we came up with (because if we left everything to the member it would take forever) and roll from there?

Quote:
Timespan between each contest
I think seasonal works best. As in Summer/Spring/Winter/Autumn. 4 a year per section wouldn't be too much if each contest runs for a say a month, especially if previous winners can now enter, but even so this doesn't have to be decided right away. Perhaps base the decision of how frequent the contests will be on the activity of the next contest. If people have fair warning of when the next contests will be (eg the 1st day of every 3rd month) then they'd have time to prepare and stack up some ideas for when the time comes. Although if unfortunately the next contests aren't so active, then there's no harm in holding them only bi-annually or annually.
With the poll idea I tossed up there that could possibly serve as a fair warning as to when the next one is coming? Other than that I wouldn't mind putting up some kind of warning of when the next one is coming somewhere. It could help me out as well as it'll put me (or any who is running the contest) on a deadline so the PPC doesn't end up getting shoved off somewhere like it seems to have been.

Quote:
Volunteers
I'll volunteer for helping run the PT PPCs when the time comes. Whether it's hosting the contest or collecting/tallying votes, I'll be more than happy to help. I'd love to see this contest being a really active event.
Good! Perhaps I can make a list of people who agreed to become volunteers sometime and whenever I need someone to help I can bring up that list and ask around. It can be a one-time thing or if someone really wants to they can stay on the list so they can be called on whenever as often as we need them.

Quote:
Anything Else?
I think having prizes for 2nd/3rd place would be good. I think it'd definitely encourage some people that are less confident about their designs to enter since they won't have the mentality of "There's no point entering with all these amazing profiles to go up against" if there are more prizes on offer. I know I've personally been in this frame of mind with previous contests back when I first noticed them taking place, so I really think this'd help. What those prizes are though is a different matter; I expect they'd probably end up as emblems since there isn't a whole lot else to offer (which would also make the supporter tier thing mentioned above even more sought after for 1st place contenders), but if there are alternative ideas then it'd be interesting to see something new or different as a prize than a standard set of emblems.
idk what I want to do here either because I want to avoid making more emblems as much as possible. I'm bad with emblems as it is (not making them but giving them out really). But it's a thought I'll consider.

Quote:
Also more advertising for the contest wouldn't hurt. Eg for one of the previous PPCs, the Pokemon Clubs IRC channel got wind of it and 5 or 6 of us ended up entering as a result. If this was applied to other channels too and other places like blogs etc (although I know you've already tried that), then it certainly wouldn't hurt the activity.
Netto and I can try to get on IRC more often to advertise it since that seems to be the best place. Also we can also see about a forum-wide announcement as well since an announcement just in Other Trivia is sort of pointless due to the fact that many participants don't come here to Other Trivia to begin with. We had people advertise it in their signatures in the past so I highly support that to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Past winners n stuff

I wouldn't mind if I we had past winners participate, but there should be a limit on how often. If someone was taking the lead every single time, it might be discouraging after a while. People will think "Oh, I won't bother to join, because --- is gonna win anyways, so it's just gonna be a waste of my time to bother." So a limit of 2 or 3 contests between winning won't be that bad, and people will see winners (or at least a couple of them switching around) and be a little less discouraged about it.
I would mind putting a limit if it seems that only past winners was winning PPCs. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage other people from participating because past winners are.

Quote:
Themes

Yes, duh. Every contest show has it...why not?

One could be held in PT and the other in OT. The PT contests could be Pokémon-themed according to the season, and the OT could be be anything BinaryPeaches and Netto wills. Just a suggestion.
Maybe not so much the season (maybe for a year haha) but maybe one theme could be Ice Pokemon and the next theme could be Fire Pokemon? But I really so like the idea of themes, and as mentioned before I wouldn't mind tossing up a poll with theme ideas to see what theme the members would be most interested in either.

Quote:
Time between

A contest a season would be okay. On the solstices and equinoxes would be a great deadline! It would bring out the Midsummer partying mood or something like that.
Ooo. That's an idea. Deadlines would certainly help anyone who is hosting it know when exactly when should have it ready to be put up.

Quote:
Volunteers

Yes, if I see how this contest runs <3
You can search up the other PPCs (or I can eventually link them when I'm less lazy) so you can see how they run. It's pretty easy on both ends (but more so on the voting end if you're not much of a CSS person considering how the other PPCs have looked in the past haha).

Quote:
derp

Yes, the prizes. An emblem would be nice though it would get boring. A prize for a recurring winner could be something like a blog/supportership. And given that only two people can win twice in a year or two (and more realistically about one or none if we include the "limit to winning" rule) it's not like a flood of blogs/supporterships will result.

And if it's not that, an emblem would be fine, and I would be more than happy to join if I could get something out of it. Just a tiny prize would be a bigger incentive to win than nothing. I know people like me still have only one or none emblems and earning them is kinda rewarding :) lols
We already have an emblem in place for the PPC. :) But it's a one time thing which is why currently past winners can't participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand Alone View Post
I completely agree that having themes would be a good incentive for people to participate more. And not just the generally generic themes of "summer" or "winter" or whatever either. Creative themes would be a good thing I think, with perhaps unique Emblems for each one? That seems like it would also encourage more people to participate-- people like new emblems/prizes. Giving them unique ones every time doesn't seem that difficult a feat, plus it's new and fresh sorta.
Sadly, Netto and I want to avoid making more emblems. Also the Higher Staff sort of discourage emblems that are of one time use since there are so many of them. Least last time I checked.

Quote:
Also, expanding on the topic of prizes, maybe we could talk about a potential Supportership or something for multiple winners or w/e. Or, perhaps even something along the lines of having at the end of the year like a profiles finals, where all four winners for the year are voted on again to decide who wins and get a special emblem for that as well. Or give a/the supportship to the victor.

Also, as far as helping goes, like I've said before: I am glad to help with anything so long as it doesn't require me to use any kind of fancy coding :V
See above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
Past Winners allowing to participate
Yes! Do it, it'll definitely spark a flame and rekindle the competition. In tandem with the theme restraint, it'll make for some competition that I feel is fair. As for a possbile prize, why not both the right to determine the theme of the next competition? Obviously have the person run it by the mods, but I feel that's a neat prize. As for personal merit, seeing as the emblem's already there, I have two options. The first is a little big, and I dunno if it'd be possible. But possible have your username decorated fancy, or colored fancy, something of the sort? Perhaps have an emblem in tandem of that. But I feel it goes with the who PPC feel. My second idea really only works for non PC Supporters, I just realized. But have them obtain the benefits the PCSs have? (I believe it was a background, or something... I forget). As for current PC Supporters, perhaps... something. I'll have to get back on this.
Oh, that is an interesting idea (I'm sort of rereading everything and replying so I didn't remember this suggestion before typing up the poll suggestion haha). The winner picking the theme idea that is. The colored username on the other hand is something that the staff will be unwilling to do. They're pretty stubborn on allowing normal members have a special usertitle let alone a special colored username. As for the last idea one thing I think it might be possible? I'm not too sure if the admins can give them that option without making a new usergroup.

Quote:
One mandatory prize (look at me, being all bossy) would be a a Hall of Fame of sorts. We all need our egos fed. The winners names should go down in history, and this is the best way to do it!
I was actually thinking about this before reading thing so I whole heartly agree with you.



Quote:
Possible Themes for the contests

Like I said earlier, I'm totally down for themes. You can really do a lot, and capture emotions, you know? The possibilities are endless. Pokemon related ones can be "types". Hell, the host (and helpers?) can be creative and randomly assign a contestant a particular type he'll have to try to recreate with his profile. Of course, close management will be needed, but it CAN be pulled off! As for non-Pokemon themes, that's not that hard either. You can try an idea similar to one I just said, assigning themes. A little harder, but possible. Have a general topic, and distribute. Seasons is an easy one, have that as the theme, and randomly assign one of the four seasons. Try to distribute them evenly, and obviously there HAS to be repeated themes. Wouldn't be a contest that way.
Hmm... that's an interesting idea. But I also like the idea of just putting up a general theme or something and allowing their minds to be creative. I wouldn't want to give someone who has a fall theme in mind winter. But, again, it's an interesting idea.

Quote:
Timespan between each contest

Timespan BETWEEN contesests: 3 months. It's worked before, I feel like it could work again. But extending it to 4 or even 5 wont be too bad. It'd raise the prestige of the contest.

As for timespan OF the contest: 1 month. I feel like that's fair. 2 weeks for entry, and two for votes. Very lenient, no?
So two for Pokemon Trivia and two for Other Trivia? Since every three months is basically seasonal I've realized. As for the timespan I wouldn't mind boosting it from three weeks to a whole month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Um, I would just like to say, all great ideas. Though the colored username one would mean they would have to make a new usergroup for each winner, which would seem kinda wasteful of space :P
That and the admin wouldn't go through the effort to do that haaa.

Quote:
and as for gaining the supportership things, it's pretty much what gaining a supportership tier is all about. It's not too outrageous to give like, what, three people a year one or two supportership tiers, and contests have done that in the past.

so yeap
It would actually be eight people a year (less though if it's only for people who have won before) supportships. Still more than other contest give them since they're more rare but again, I wouldn't mind giving out supportership to members after they have already won the emblem. Emblem + Supportership is a little much in my opinion.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #9    
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Dakota's Avatar
Dakota
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Hey, I just thought up of an idea for a prize. I don't know how possible this one is, but both a normal member and a supporter can obtain it.

The prize? How about the ability to collaborate with whoever makes the PC Styles and contribute and idea, or a color option? That'd be one hell of a prize, don't you think?
  #10    
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
droomph's Avatar
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: bar'jách
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
I think you can do it anyways, though you would have to present them with either an XML or a set of pictures.

But yeah, if it's not already easily done, that sounds like a better plan.
__________________
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt


  #11    
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
If themes were made more frequently it could work. However, they're not made frequently enough and people who do make them never really tell people that they are. ... And for some reason I can't figure out what word I need to finish this post so I'll either edit or someone else will realize where I'm going with this lmao.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #12    
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
Dakota's Avatar
Dakota
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Or we could simply minimize the amount of contests per year. Doing so would both add prestige and a feeling of actually wanting to participate. The winner gets all the goodies, you know?
  #13    
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
Still, it would be hard to coordinate when a Prettiest Profile Contest is in correspondence to someone making a new theme. It just sounds like a lot of effort to go through for something that might not even work out if the creator of the theme (who has all rights to say yes or no) does not like the ideas of the winner.

Perhaps I'm being a bit brash or skeptical but I think we would want something that we know would be rewarding, doesn't being outside people into it (in the case that the current profile maker likes to work on their own; doesn't do anything with the PPC) as well as something more consistent. It would be hard to be consistent (which is the word I couldn't think of past post orz) if the theme making isn't consistent and consistency is really the key here. We want to be consistent in when the PPC takes place, the rewards, etc.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #14    
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:40 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb's Avatar
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere In America
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
So I'm not even sure if this is still relevant, since the last post was like 2 months ago, but I had a basis of an idea.

So since this is a pokemon forum and this is a contest... why not make it based on pokemon contests? So, (and this helps with consistency) there would be a cool contest, a beauty contest, a cute contest and a tough contest. I'm not sure how you'd do intelligence, and tough is tough... but anyway.
This way each of the four contests would have a default theme, and then their would be a more specific theme. Also, each "specialized" contest would have a season, so: tough - winter, cool - fall, beauty - summer, and cute - spring. (although they can be rearranged, as winter could be beauty etc.)
So for instance, the cool, fall contest could have a "sub-theme" of halloween, or changing leaves, or anything really - it doesn't even have to relate to the season, it just has to fit the main theme (of cool)

And as for prizes, well it could work a little like he medal system in the pixel art section. For the first PPC you win, you'd get a Normal Rank Contest Emblem, then for the second one you won you'd get a Super Contest Rank Emblem, and so on and so on. I know no one seems to want to make emblems, but perhaps you could just modify the original emblem with text and some color changes for each one? Also, those that reach Master Rank (i.e. 4 contest wins) would win the final emblem and a supportership/upgrade of supportership/I don't know what to give mods so they just get an emblem. XD

ALSO, there could even be an intense PPC a the get together or something (so once a year is what I'm saying) where all these categories are available a once, so mini contests. The main problem I see is that it would probably need a TON of people to enter...

I think that's all XD

Also, on the subject of volunteering, I wouldn't mind hosting it, the main thing is that I...don't really know a whole lot about the whole process etc. But I've done CSS a couple times???
__________________
  #15    
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
Bumping this because ideas and now that it is 2013 perhaps we should try and come up with a system so I can bring PPCs back.

@Golurk. Your ideas are really great. I'm unsure about changing the PPC system, but what you said about the contests well ... will be cool over in Pokemon Trivia? After all, it is based on Pokemon. For Other Trivia themes can definitely be things like spring, fall, etc if we all want the PPCs to start having themes.

But yes. Even if it's already been said before, repeat it so I know how much you want it. And Perhaps I can put up a poll or something .... idk.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #16    
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Regeneration's Avatar
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I Belong
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Regeneration
The fact that nobody has replied in a long time is more than enough proof of PPC dying. :(
Anyhow, I'd like to throw in a few suggestions.

Event Promotion:
The mods could probably get PPN to set up a banner thingy at the top to notify users of PPC. That way those who don't frequent OT would also know of it. Maybe we could also get a tutorial for making profile themes (or if one already exists; can't remember but someone did make it. Probably it was Forever) so that newbies have some understanding of it.

Past Winners allowing to participate:
Agreed. Mainly because I want to participate again.

Possible Themes for the contests:
I'd rather not. It is known that we have a few who are willing to participate and assigning a theme would probably force them to change their awesome profiles or some might be too lazy to do that. Do this only once the event catches up.

Timespan between each contest:
We should start with one every 3-4 months and if any of the new ideas work, change it back to once every month.

Volunteers
I'm willing. :)
  #17    
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
LilJz's Avatar
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Maybe a Valentine's Day theme contests? Or maybe the other persons would prefer having to decide their theme by themselves and not restricted to one theme?
__________________
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
  #18    
Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration View Post
The fact that nobody has replied in a long time is more than enough proof of PPC dying. :(
Anyhow, I'd like to throw in a few suggestions.

Event Promotion:
The mods could probably get PPN to set up a banner thingy at the top to notify users of PPC. That way those who don't frequent OT would also know of it. Maybe we could also get a tutorial for making profile themes (or if one already exists; can't remember but someone did make it. Probably it was Forever) so that newbies have some understanding of it.
Next PPC I will definitey request a site-wise advertisement for those. I don't have to ask PPN specifically, I just have to request one in general as far as I know haha. And yeah, there should be a tutorial somewhere already for profiles that Nica had made. I'll double check.

Quote:
Possible Themes for the contests:
I'd rather not. It is known that we have a few who are willing to participate and assigning a theme would probably force them to change their awesome profiles or some might be too lazy to do that. Do this only once the event catches up.
They won't always be theme related, if that helps. But I do believe that it will enhance the contest, especially for those who have won before, and give it an extra challenge. If people don't want to change for the contest that is fine but unless no one joins that is of minor consequence. Especially, if we do have theme contests, I might make a new emblem specifically for those.

Quote:
Timespan between each contest:
We should start with one every 3-4 months and if any of the new ideas work, change it back to once every month.
So two in Pokemon Trivia and two in Other Trivia + the MOTY one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Maybe a Valentine's Day theme contests? Or maybe the other persons would prefer having to decide their theme by themselves and not restricted to one theme?
The latter is what we have been doing. Just a free for all and everyone can have their profile the way they want it. As for Valentines Themed it has been a suggestion but I'm not sure if 1. People are interested enough and 2. If I can toss it up quickly enough.

... Also I still have an emblem to make for the MOTY one. I swear I haven't forgotten!
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #19    
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Regeneration's Avatar
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I Belong
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Regeneration
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
They won't always be theme related, if that helps. But I do believe that it will enhance the contest, especially for those who have won before, and give it an extra challenge. If people don't want to change for the contest that is fine but unless no one joins that is of minor consequence. Especially, if we do have theme contests, I might make a new emblem specifically for those.
It might work; no harm in trying. Yay for the new emblems though. =D

Quote:
So two in Pokemon Trivia and two in Other Trivia + the MOTY one?
Umm.. two as in, twice a year? idgi :(
  #20    
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration View Post
Umm.. two as in, twice a year? idgi :(
Precisely. If we were to do one every three-four months, and we switched between Other Trivia and Pokemon Trivia it would be two in Other Trivia + Two in Pokemon trivia. And it may or may not include the MOTY one depending.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #21    
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Regeneration's Avatar
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I Belong
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Regeneration
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
Precisely. If we were to do one every three-four months, and we switched between Other Trivia and Pokemon Trivia it would be two in Other Trivia + Two in Pokemon trivia. And it may or may not include the MOTY one depending.
Time the events in such a way that there is at least a 3 month gap between the last PPC and MOTY?
  #22    
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
That would make the MOTY PPC one of the PPCs in OT for the year. If I'm doing my math correctly.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
  #23    
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Regeneration's Avatar
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I Belong
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Regeneration
Yup, it is.
So I guess that concludes negotiations. =D

Btw, are we any close to having a PPC again?
  #24    
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Sora's Avatar
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Under Red's Bed
Nature: Gentle
Well, if we go with the plan of having one every three months, then the first one will be in march over in Pokemon Trivia.
__________________
BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
MY DREAM WILL BE FULFILLED
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 1



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.