Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation
Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Old February 6th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Anto_Grayo
Unhatched Egg

Advertise here
Pokemon Black (and maybe White) remind me too much of Red/Yellow/Blue it's like the Pokemon company ran out of ideas. I know there will be a lot who disagree but there is a clear lack of thought... There are names like ducklett, deerling , I don't know I'm not trying to talk it down because its a good game, but has anyone noticed the nods? This game is more like the original than any in between.
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Putting aside the whole "it's not original" argument (because lord knows that'll start a fight), the games were intended to feel like R/B/Y. They were more of a reboot than an addition - an entire new region packed with all new Pokemon and a brand new adventure with innovative new game mechanics. It was almost as if it was meant to give a new generation of Pokemon fans the same experience that many of us got with the first gen games, which is good. Insight like that shows that the fan is thought of during the creation process.
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Black and White were totally unique in my opinion. It had a brand new feeling to me.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:44 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets Witch View Post
Putting aside the whole "it's not original" argument (because lord knows that'll start a fight), the games were intended to feel like R/B/Y. They were more of a reboot than an addition - an entire new region packed with all new Pokemon and a brand new adventure with innovative new game mechanics. It was almost as if it was meant to give a new generation of Pokemon fans the same experience that many of us got with the first gen games, which is good. Insight like that shows that the fan is thought of during the creation process.
This, they really tried to go back to the old style of the games, with the rather linear region and all new pokemon. In the end though I'm still left wondering if they did a good job at it or not...after this generation ends in October (when Gen VI will begin) I'll hopefully make up my mind.
Stand for Life
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:50 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
B/W wasn't a sign that GameFreak and Nintendo ran out of ideas. They intended those games to be a "new beginning" by adding in Pokémon that were expies of past Pokémon, like the Woobat Roggenrola and Timburr lines, which can be compared to the Zubat, Geodude and Machop lines respectively.

Old February 6th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
PlatinumDude and Sweets Witch basically nailed the meaning here, but yes they are right, Black and White is mostly seen as sort of a "reboot" of the Pokemon games, it has several elements similar to the Red/Blue/Yellow days, like the regional Pokedex only compiling of Pokemon from the region that was featured, several Unova Pokemon resembling or filling roles of Kanto Pokemon (Woobat, Roggenrola, Timburr etc).

What Game Freak were trying to do with these games was to give a fresh look and bring back the memories of Red/Blue/Yellow, especially to the older players like myself. It's like the same experience as with R/B/Y. Even though I never played anything before 3rd Gen, I still think the game felt fresh and totally revamped, and coupled with an epic story is what made Black and White favorites of mine, and probably for years to come.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Anto_Grayo
Unhatched Egg

Yayyy thank you people. I was just checking it just wasn't me noticing these things. I believe it works in both ways, because I am enjoying this new version with everything included and I appreciate the homage to the first generation like the ones you have all mentioned and more! But I can't help but feel like the further away we get from generation one the closer we get to forgetting the original 151...
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
That's nostalgia, pure and simple. Nostalgia makes people believe that the new stuff is crap and the old stuff is far superior and should be praised for being first, and a lot of people believe this with everything from Pokemon to art. New things will pop up - they always do, and they always will because that's a sign that progress is being made - but the old things will always still be there.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here