• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

What are the best Pokemon theories you know?

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
Post whatever theories you've heard of - true or false c:
I decided to start a thread like this as I am highly interested in this stuff :P

Mine would probably be the Mew and Ditto Theory. For those of you who don't know:

Similarities
First of all, both Mew and Ditto weigh 8.8 lbs. They both can learn Transform, and also have the same colour scheme (aswell as their shinies), they both can learn every move, Mew is said to contain the DNA of every single Pokemon, and Ditto can breed with nearly every single Pokemon. They both have the same number of base stats in every category - Mew's base stats are all 100, while Ditto's are 48. They are also both genderless.

Basic plot
They say that in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island (Pokemon Yellow) was the place where the experiments between Mew and Mewtwo took place, and they also say that Mewtwo was the ONLY successful clone - implying that there have been other failed clones. Also, Ditto can be found in the Pokemon Mansion (and in Cerulean Cave) - which basically convinced me that the Ditto/Mew theory is true. Also, out of every single Pokemon, only Mew and Ditto are able to learn Transform naturally.

This may have been already proved true/false, but if you haven't heard about it, I'd suggest you look into it. It's VERY interesting!

Post any of the theories you've heard? I'd love to hear!

I've gathered this information from different websites and from things I've figured out myself (such as where Ditto can be found). c:

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Post whatever theories you've heard of - true or false c:
I decided to start a thread like this as I am highly interested in this stuff :P

Mine would probably be the Mew and Ditto Theory. For those of you who don't know:

Similarities
First of all, both Mew and Ditto weigh 8.8 lbs. They both can learn Transform, and also have the same colour scheme (aswell as their shinies), they both can learn every move, Mew is said to contain the DNA of every single Pokemon, and Ditto can breed with nearly every single Pokemon. They both have the same number of base stats in every category - Mew's base stats are all 100, while Ditto's are 48. They are also both genderless.

Basic plot
They say that in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island (Pokemon Yellow) was the place where the experiments between Mew and Mewtwo took place, and they also say that Mewtwo was the ONLY successful clone - implying that there have been other failed clones. Also, Ditto can be found in the Pokemon Mansion (and in Cerulean Cave) - which basically convinced me that the Ditto/Mew theory is true. Also, out of every single Pokemon, only Mew and Ditto are able to learn Transform naturally.

This may have been already proved true/false, but if you haven't heard about it, I'd suggest you look into it. It's VERY interesting!

Post any of the theories you've heard? I'd love to hear!

I've gathered this information from different websites and from things I've figured out myself (such as where Ditto can be found). c:

I also have come to accept the 'Ditto/Mew Theory'. There are quite a lot of Pokémon theories... It's hard to pick just one. I've written articles on a few of them on this forum.

One theory that intrigues me is the 'Dead Raticate Theory'. It basically claims that:

A ~ In Pokémon RBY, the player battles their rival aboard the S.S. Anne; the rival uses a Raticate.
B ~ The player next meets their rival at the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town; a place which is effectively a Pokémon cemetery, where dead Pokémon are buried.
C ~ The player's rival, before battling with the player again, gives a short speech about the loss of a Pokémon.
D ~ When the player battles their rival, the rival no longer uses a Raticate.

Conclusion: the theory basically concludes that the player injured their rival's Raticate very badly during the battle aboard the S.S. Anne; injuries which led to its death, which is why the rival went to the Pokémon Tower to lay it to rest, which is why he, of course, does not use it in battle against the player.

It's a slightly morbid idea for some; many Pokémon fans will refuse to believe it. I for one though have long been convinced.

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
I also have come to accept the 'Ditto/Mew Theory'. There are quite a lot of Pokémon theories... It's hard to pick just one. I've written articles on a few of them on this forum.

One theory that intrigues me is the 'Dead Raticate Theory'. It basically claims that:

A ~ In Pokémon RBY, the player battles their rival aboard the S.S. Anne; the rival uses a Raticate.
B ~ The player next meets their rival at the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town; a place which is effectively a Pokémon cemetery, where dead Pokémon are buried.
C ~ The player's rival, before battling with the player again, gives a short speech about the loss of a Pokémon.
D ~ When the player battles their rival, the rival no longer uses a Raticate.

Conclusion: the theory basically concludes that the player injured their rival's Raticate very badly during the battle aboard the S.S. Anne; injuries which led to its death, which is why the rival went to the Pokémon Tower to lay it to rest, which is why he, of course, does not use it in battle against the player.

It's a slightly morbid idea for some; many Pokémon fans will refuse to believe it. I for one though have long been convinced.

This one intrigues me a lot! I am also convinced that this theory is true, I think the writers wrote a very good plot-line or whatever here.. and this always makes me sad, every single time:

"Mere moments after he became Indigo League champion, he was defeated by you. Although he fulfilled his promise to his fallen Pokémon, it was only for a painfully brief instant. In the end, your rival is scolded by his grandfather while you receive the professor's praise. During the course of the game, you steal your rival's innocence, crush his dreams, and ultimately snatch away the love of his own grandfather. Oh, and by the way, your rival doesn't have any parents. He's an orphan."

D:

ProfessorJoltz

Poke Fan
Years
The Marowak -> Kangaskhan/ Missigno theory. It just intrigues me that that possibly was planned. I suppose that making it canon would upset a few kids, finding out that their Marowak's mother died and it had to wear it's skull.
The rival's Raticate theory is interesting too. If you think about it in that way, it seems as though you may be the bad guy. Of course though, he may have boxed it because he realised how crap it was. When it was a Ratatta, it wasn't even in "the top percentage of ratattas"!

Last edited:

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Another tgeory fan?! Awesome. Hmm. My favourites have all been said. Its hard to think anything. Wait now I know.(POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR HG AND SS) My favourite subject team rocket. More precisely Giovanni. And his possible suicide. Ok. This happens in Hg and Ss. You need the Celebi event. Celebi takes you back in time and eventualy to Tohno falls. There you find Giovanni listening to the team rocket broadcast. He then says various things and fights the player. After his defeat he says something like "again? I lost to a kid? All this training worthless?" (context is the same) Then he exists the cave. (which is at the falls.) Now interesting is the sound that plays is not the vasic exit sound. Its more like a splash. So he jumps to the falls? Possible. This is the basic form of the theory. Now few other theories emerge from this. Fans argue about does he actualy drown or does he survive and what happens. I think its sad if Giovanni would die after just having made his way back to the series. :/

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Another tgeory fan?! Awesome. Hmm. My favourites have all been said. Its hard to think anything. Wait now I know.(POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR HG AND SS) My favourite subject team rocket. More precisely Giovanni. And his possible suicide. Ok. This happens in Hg and Ss. You need the Celebi event. Celebi takes you back in time and eventualy to Tohno falls. There you find Giovanni listening to the team rocket broadcast. He then says various things and fights the player. After his defeat he says something like "again? I lost to a kid? All this training worthless?" (context is the same) Then he exists the cave. (which is at the falls.) Now interesting is the sound that plays is not the vasic exit sound. Its more like a splash. So he jumps to the falls? Possible. This is the basic form of the theory. Now few other theories emerge from this. Fans argue about does he actualy drown or does he survive and what happens. I think its sad if Giovanni would die after just having made his way back to the series. :/

Nah he isnt dead.He is in the WPT in Black 2/White 2 which is years later.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Okay good to know. :D (I havent played those yet) Here is another theory. Gengar us actualy clefables shadow etc. They have similar body structure and Gengar is referred as shadow pokemon. Also the name might come from Doppelganger which is a mythic being impersonating someone.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I have two favorite theories to share:

The first one is about Wobbuffet: the reason it is so protective of its tail is because it IS the tail. More precisely, its brain is located in what looks like the tail, which is actually its head, that's why it has eyes, while the blue "body" is something like a decoy with a fake mouth.

The second one, and I admit I believe it is true: somewhere along the development of the original Red and Green, Game Freak accidentally swapped sprites for Venomoth and Butterfree. Metapod's eyes look more like Venomoth's than Butterfree's, and (especially in the original Red and Green) Butterfree looks exactly like Venonat, only with wings, a neck and less hair. The one thing that can be used to support this theory is the fact that those versions were really badly coded, to the point where Pokémon in the game's data are in an order that has nothing to do with the official one, so I easily can imagine them making the mistake, not noticing it because the code's a mess (considering the game's development history one can assume they couldn't afford to do a lot of testing too) , realizing it only after the games' release, and then shrugging and deciding to go with it.

Last edited:

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
I have two favorite theories to share:

The first one is about Wobbuffet: the reason it is so protective of its tail is because it IS the tail. More precisely, its brain is located in what looks like the tail, which is actually its head, that's why it has eyes, while the blue "body" is something like a decoy with a fake mouth.

The second one, and I admit I believe it is true: somewhere along the development of the original Red and Green, Game Freak accidentally swapped sprites for Venomoth and Butterfree. Metapod's eyes look more like Venomoth's than Butterfree's, and (especially in the original Red and Green) Butterfree looks exactly like Venonat, only with wings, a neck and less hair. The one thing that can be used to support this theory is the fact that those versions were really badly coded, to the point where Pokémon in the game's data are in an order that has nothing to do with the official one, so I easily can imagine them making the mistake, not noticing it because the code's a mess (considering the game's development history one can assume they couldn't afford to do a lot of testing too) , realizing it only after the games' release, and then shrugging and deciding to go with it.

I'm a proponent of both of those theories as well. A related theory to the Venomoth-Butterfree idea is the hypothesis that Psyduck's and Golduck's names were swapped accidentally during development; I mean, Psyduck is the one that's actually gold-colored, and Golduck is the one that has more notable psychic abilities. It just makes sense to me.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I've always been a fan of the theory about Wobbuffet's tail. When I was younger I remember there was a similar theory about Girafarig's tail being its real self and the giraffe part being a dummy, but then I learned that it's just got two brains.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Even though this theory was proven false a long time ago, I still found the Striaton Gym Leaders being the Shadow Triad rather interesting.

I also like the Mew/Ditto theory, as I was intrigued by it as soon as it was proposed years ago.

Years
I'm a proponent of both of those theories as well. A related theory to the Venomoth-Butterfree idea is the hypothesis that Psyduck's and Golduck's names were swapped accidentally during development; I mean, Psyduck is the one that's actually gold-colored, and Golduck is the one that has more notable psychic abilities. It just makes sense to me.

I've never heard of the psyduck/golduck one before, but it makes so much sense! I'll never be able to look at them the same again. :P

Back