The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 4th, 2013 (01:43 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewulf238 View Post
There's only one way I can see there being travel to other regions and that's if they add new regions as DLC.

No way there will be more than one region at launch.
This would actually work very well. Add a region and its group of Gyms and hardcode each region's badge case into the game for if the region is bought and downloaded. It would kill the need for remakes entirely and allow them to also add bonus areas and items (like the event exclusive items from the past), thus giving players a chance to complete the Dex entirely without having to import (trade mebbe, but not import).

Release each new region for exploration every three months mebbe. And develop Gen. VII right away.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 4th, 2013 (02:02 PM).
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
The only thing I don't like about dlc regions is the possibility that they wouldn't have any storyline or story npcs (rival, evil team) to go with it and that they would just be thrown together hastily.

Hopefully they would have a new main storyline to go through if they did have dlc regions though.
Old February 5th, 2013 (05:19 AM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about dlc regions is the possibility that they wouldn't have any storyline or story npcs (rival, evil team) to go with it and that they would just be thrown together hastily.

Hopefully they would have a new main storyline to go through if they did have dlc regions though.
Yeah that'd definitely be sucky. I also doubt that too, given that it'd involve so much extra time to put together these whole other regions. :(
Old February 5th, 2013 (07:59 AM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I would really like a past region to appear. Why? Think about it for a second. The games are running on a new engine, and are based in a world where the game has everything properly big or small. To give us a feel of what this new look for the games translates to in terms of other regions, they would give us something like Kanto as an example. Or better yet Unova, to hopefully tie this region up with it.
Old February 5th, 2013 (09:57 AM).
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
Regions as DLC could work. I remain doubtful though.

Recreating an entire region that was primarily mapped in 2D in the 3D format will be much harder than porting maps from RBY to GSC. Creating 2D and 3D maps requires a different approach, for instance, when all buildings face south, it looks OK in a 2D game, but in a 3D game it looks awkward (imagine walking through Saffron City in 3D: on every street, you have doors on the right and nothing but walls on the left... that's not good) . They'll have to at least remap all the cities and create region-specific textures. And then remix all the music (if it's just to get rid of the excessively used trumpets from Gen 3 or the poorly synthesized guitars from Gen 4) . And then, of course, write a decent extension to the game's script so that the region isn't as bland as Kanto in GSC... looks like too much hassle, really.

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.
Old February 5th, 2013 (10:11 AM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:

Then it would be an entire new game.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 5th, 2013 (01:16 PM).
Sabrewulf238

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Then it would be an entire new game.

Cyclone
I was thinking this. So best case scenario is we either get a new fully fleshed out separate game with an old region or we get a half assed region dlc for our Pokemon XY games.

Having said that, I would be more interested in putting my money forward for a game which added a full region experience to an existing game rather than a new separate title. Firstly it means only having one cartridge but secondly I just think it's more interesting to add to an existing world then create a completely separate world. I mean what's really the point of having your Pokemon XY region over here and your Hoenn remake over here and not be able to just move between both of them?

I figure it probably won't be until the 7th or 8th gen until they get brave enough to start having dlc regions though.
Old February 5th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
HyperXhydra

There could be a connection between the new region and Unova if they introduce the Original Dragon.
Old February 5th, 2013 (03:32 PM).
CoolKnightST

It's just clear they are planning an ruby/sapphire remake afther this with maybe acces back to kanto/johto. They nowtest that there remake games where mostly more popular than there new regions. You probaly would agrea that FR/LG and HG/SS where one of the best games out there. They also attempt this with black and white but that seem to fail an bit in my opinion.
Old February 5th, 2013 (06:27 PM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolKnightST View Post
It's just clear they are planning an ruby/sapphire remake afther this with maybe acces back to kanto/johto. They nowtest that there remake games where mostly more popular than there new regions. You probaly would agrea that FR/LG and HG/SS where one of the best games out there. They also attempt this with black and white but that seem to fail an bit in my opinion.
n FR/LG weren't overly popular and from the general fanbase, at the time people preferred R/S/E, iirc. HG/SS were popular, yes, but so was B/W and B2/W2, with the former getting a 30/30 rating (iirc??) and having made over a certain amount of sales in a short time. I can't remember much about it but it was popular. Nevertheless, people would still appreciate extra regions in these games and for them to do it in R/S remakes, too. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperXhydra View Post
There could be a connection between the new region and Unova if they introduce the Original Dragon.
Yeah but the only issue is that they're both sooo far away from each other :(
Old February 6th, 2013 (04:16 AM).
SaniOKh

Seriously, am I the only one who doesn't want any more remakes? As much as I would love to revisit older regions, I'd rather do it in a B2/W2-esque sequel.

One more thing about DLC regions and why I don't think they're happening: I just remembered a picture I've seen on Pokémemes destroying the idea for a Pokémon game with all regions. I don't exactly remember if it was its only point or just one of the many, but here it is: in GSC, you have Kanto, where the Gym leaders are stronger than the Pokémon league. Imagine if you had a third and a fourth region after this, each region having even stronger opponents? I'm not sure the games have a level cap high enough to accommodate all this while keeping it consistently challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperXhydra View Post
Isn't it supposed not to physically exist anymore? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Reshiram and Zekrom were two halves of the dragon's spirit, and Kyurem was what's left of its body.
Old February 6th, 2013 (05:39 AM).
Papii
Unhatched Egg

Although I'd like for them to create every past region in 3D format (which will be YEARS from now), I'd love for them to at least implement Hoenn into the new region. I also like the idea about regions being released as DLC, something that has never been done before and I can see it working.
Old February 6th, 2013 (06:15 AM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
n FR/LG weren't overly popular and from the general fanbase, at the time people preferred R/S/E, iirc. HG/SS were popular, yes, but so was B/W and B2/W2, with the former getting a 30/30 rating (iirc??) and having made over a certain amount of sales in a short time. I can't remember much about it but it was popular. Nevertheless, people would still appreciate extra regions in these games and for them to do it in R/S remakes, too. :3

Yeah but the only issue is that they're both sooo far away from each other
It was 40/40 from Famitsu. And who knows how far away Unova is from this new region. If anything, the distance between them would be Sinnoh and Kanto far, but instead of a landmass that's seemingly there, there's an ocean. An ocean that's hopefully crossable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
Seriously, am I the only one who doesn't want any more remakes? As much as I would love to revisit older regions, I'd rather do it in a B2/W2-esque sequel.
Nah. An RSE remake would be excellent, as I stated the new feel of the games need to also be expressed in an older region, for things not to be too alien. Which also why I stated at least Unova pops up, to make things a bit more comfortable when it comes to the OW at least.

Quote:
One more thing about DLC regions and why I don't think they're happening: I just remembered a picture I've seen on Pokémemes destroying the idea for a Pokémon game with all regions. I don't exactly remember if it was its only point or just one of the many, but here it is: in GSC, you have Kanto, where the Gym leaders are stronger than the Pokémon league. Imagine if you had a third and a fourth region after this, each region having even stronger opponents? I'm not sure the games have a level cap high enough to accommodate all this while keeping it consistently challenging.
While I completely agree with this, the levels wouldn't be too huge a deal, as the next region can continue from a lower level of the E4 but finish with a higher one, and fluxate like that without being too troublesome. The AI can also improve for the lower leveled gyms, making them as equally challenging.

Quote:
Isn't it supposed not to physically exist anymore? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Reshiram and Zekrom were two halves of the dragon's spirit, and Kyurem was what's left of its body.
Technically yes, but the way I seem them going with it, I can see 2 original formes, like the two incomplete ones.
Old February 6th, 2013 (10:30 AM).
Sabrewulf238

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
This could easily be resolved by treating each region as a pseudo fresh start. Sort of like what Ash does in the anime.

So until you've defeated the elite four for a region you would be forced to leave your old pokemon behind (think customs stopping you at the gate) and would only be able to access them while you're in the old region. (or battling/trading over wifi) Then when you have defeated the elite four of the new region you can use any of your pokemon in the post-story (end game) section of that region.

So each region would have the same levelling curve (lv 5 to lv 70 approx) during the story but as Elendil said the battle A.I could be improved with each region. (among other possibilities to increase difficulty)

It has the benefit of creating a fresh start but keeping everything together in one package.
Old February 6th, 2013 (11:04 AM).
SaniOKh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
Nah. An RSE remake would be excellent, as I stated the new feel of the games need to also be expressed in an older region, for things not to be too alien. Which also why I stated at least Unova pops up, to make things a bit more comfortable when it comes to the OW at least.
A sequel with a new story, but set in the same region could do just that too. Plus, more interesting for those who already played through Gen 3. I would love them to do the same thing to another region they already did to Kanto in GSC and Unova in B2W2: make us go through the region X years later and make us discover all the things that changed since the last visit. Even though Kanto in GSC wasn't that interesting, the fact that you visit it as a different person 3 years later is kinda cool, such approach offers a lot of opportunities in terms of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
While I completely agree with this, the levels wouldn't be too huge a deal, as the next region can continue from a lower level of the E4 but finish with a higher one, and fluxate like that without being too troublesome. The AI can also improve for the lower leveled gyms, making them as equally challenging.
Quote:
This could easily be resolved by treating each region as a pseudo fresh start. Sort of like what Ash does in the anime.
[...]
So until you've defeated the elite four for a region you would be forced to leave your old pokemon behind (think customs stopping you at the gate) and would only be able to access them while you're in the old region.
[...]
I prefer the former approach (lower level at the beginning, even higher level at the end) to the latter. Let's just say that what I always though Ash was dumb to leave a perfectly trained team behind every time he went to a new region, I'm too pragmatic to comprehend his reasons for doing that . But (sadly for people like me) I have to admit that Sabrewulf238's approach is better for two reasons:
  • Elendil's approach is still technically limited by the level cap
  • This would allow us to basically buy and play DLC in any order, and even skip the ones we don't want.
And since I am one of those foolish people bent on filling the National Dex no matter what, I even get why this as DLC would be better than releasing each region as a new game, it's basically like sharing a Pokédex between multiple games. Could be cool.
Old February 6th, 2013 (04:35 PM).
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

I honestly doubt there will be travel between regions. Pokemon is a company after all, and remakes as well as new games would bring in more sales than just one set of games. I could potentially see you briefly visiting a region, but only very very briefly. Would be pretty cool though! Actually, what I could realistically see them doing is having a cut scene where you're flying OVER another region, so you get an aerial view of it, but you never touch down on it. Or maybe there would be a scene like in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum(?) where the legendary goes crazy and you see a view of the entire region - except this time it'd be all the regions.
Old February 6th, 2013 (05:39 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:

So until you've defeated the elite four for a region you would be forced to leave your old pokemon behind (think customs stopping you at the gate) and would only be able to access them while you're in the old region. (or battling/trading over wifi) Then when you have defeated the elite four of the new region you can use any of your pokemon in the post-story (end game) section of that region.
Keep in mind he occasionally brings in his older Pokémon, though. For instance, Bulbasaur appeared in Hoenn for one episode to greet May's Bulbasaur acquired from the grass Pokémon's habitat (it then returned to Oak to keep the peace in his field). At this point, he did not have all of the badges.

I could go see how many he had, but I'm lazy right now.

Cyclone

Old February 6th, 2013 (06:11 PM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:

So each region would have the same levelling curve (lv 5 to lv 70 approx) during the story but as Elendil said the battle A.I could be improved with each region. (among other possibilities to increase difficulty)

It has the benefit of creating a fresh start but keeping everything together in one package.
I think it'd be way overcomplicated. ;( Having to raise a brand new team again would extend the post-game but it'd just leave the question of "why now, and not generation 7?" basically. :x
Old February 6th, 2013 (10:57 PM).
Sabrewulf238

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Keep in mind he occasionally brings in his older Pokémon, though. For instance, Bulbasaur appeared in Hoenn for one episode to greet May's Bulbasaur acquired from the grass Pokémon's habitat (it then returned to Oak to keep the peace in his field). At this point, he did not have all of the badges.

I could go see how many he had, but I'm lazy right now.

Cyclone
The point wasn't really about Ash.
Old February 6th, 2013 (11:22 PM).
jfuze174
Elite Trainer Joey

Nature: Calm
I wouldn't mind multiple regions or the same thing b/w did half the map for main story half for end game

Safari Grass: PanSage - Maractus - Sawsbuck
Old February 7th, 2013 (01:16 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
The point wasn't really about Ash.
Then why did you bring him up?

Cyclone

Old February 7th, 2013 (01:22 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:

If they were to make a game with all the regions, I'd like them to do this, but they won't so...
I think it is much better than being able to have access to your other Pokémon, I don't want it to be like G/S/C again where the E4's Pokémon are in the 40s.
Old February 7th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Omicron
Prince of Heart

Nature: Modest
I highly doubt that there will be travel between regions in X and Y. However I was thinking in the possibility of making remakes for R/S/E and FR/LG, making all regions playable in a 3DS. I see this a little far fetched, but still plausible. What do you guys think?

mod of Trade CornerShowdown!
Happy Holidays!
Old February 7th, 2013 (02:03 PM).
Hederbomb

Nature: Bold
PLEASE!!!! Pokemon for me has been becoming to easy/short for me. A nice, long post story would be nice. Possibly team Rocket And Plasma merge?

Want to know whats wrong with someone? The real question is what ISN'T wrong with that person.
That is the real answer.
Old February 7th, 2013 (02:07 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Someday I hope a compilation of the first few games occurs (as in the Mega Man series, or the Kirby 20th anniversary collection). In this instance, I hope it becomes one continuous game with multiple PCs, and you are able to actually and quite literally "catch 'em all". It would be even more fun to be able to do it without relying on outside help from trading with friends, and to even have special Event Pokémon found within the games (special storyline events exclusive to the games, such as Jirachi coming along in Hoenn and Mew's island becoming available in Yellow - which would be an ideal start - and normal starters occurring in the wild after the final E4 is defeated), but at the same time the game could be a standalone; you can't trade outside of that game.

But yeah, it'll never happen.

Cyclone

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links