The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which Gen had the worst starters?
Gen I 11 4.56%
Gen II 37 15.35%
Gen III 25 10.37%
Gen IV 56 23.24%
Gen V 112 46.47%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:13 AM
KingSquirtle
Unhatched Egg

Advertise here
Gen 1 was good. Maybe not spectacular lol but I grew up with squirtle and I had a squirtle shaped cake when I turned 10 xD or was it 9? Idk. Yeah 9 cuz Pokemon 2000 came out. Charmander is cute and I love dragons so that includes charizard. But I've never been keen on bulbasaur& its fam.
Gen 2 I love totodile so much. One of the best move pools and its crushing power and high defense through the evolutions carry against all but grass and water, but in hg croconaw learned ice fang that made bayleef and meganium a joke lol. Never done a play through with chikorita but I like its aesthetics as well as meganium at least. Cyndaquil is the cutest fire starter and I like hedgehogs. But it's moves and such aren't unique.
Gen 3 is the only one I've done a full play through with all starters. So I love all of those. Can't dislike them at all.
Gen 4. Oh gen 4. Turtwig. The best but not by much. Only cuz I like how grotle and torterra look. Chinchar. I hate monkeys. And I didn't need to see another fire fighting type. Piplup. Freaking penguins. I hate penguins. Also one thing that made these easily the worst starter is the type imbalance. I mean if I choose a water starter, I should not naturally inheret a weakness to the fire starters second type. No. Just no. And I also should not be able to use my water type attacks easily on the grass starter. I should always fear him. Not think his second type means my strong water attacks can easily ohko him cuz hes no long resistant. I usually teach my water starter ice beam to deal with grass types but due to their general lack of speed I tend to still fear appropriately leveled grass types, particularly my rival's grass starter. But empoleon isn't even weak to grass anymore and infernape scares the crap outta me. I boxed empoleon. I hate it.
Gen 5 was good for starter. I love my samurott more than I expected and having access to bug moves makes him way different from others. I like serperior's design at least and I don't dislike emboar. He just kinda blends in and I forget about him.
Obviously I vie for gen 4 as the worst. Hate them. Except torterra. But I'm sure if I played as him I'd still hate him for being unbalanced against water. But whatever xD
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Isseubnida
I live for the applause

Nature: Jolly
To me, the Sinnoh starters are pretty meh, even Infernape.

Have you ever seen a chicken strip?
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:41 PM
Synchronous
Lying is my forte, you know?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Synchronous
I was pretty close to saying Generation I and II, especially because Charizard's physical aspect is completely overused, even though its Base Attack is only at a puny 84, in which it is bested at by Watchog. Typhlosion's base stats are an exact copy of Charizard's, and the other two in Generation II were less than powerful.

I still chose Generation V, because no single starter is very impressive by itself. Emboar is too fragile, while Serperior doesn't hit. Samurott really came close, but could easily be replaced by an Empoleon.

My favorite Generation will always be Generation III.
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:04 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
In terms of design I'd say gen IV. I still don't like most of those starters and especially dislike their second forms, but power-wise these guys are probably the best. Sadly I focus more on appearance than anything else so fourth gen it is. :<

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:02 AM
Stormborn
Indecisive

Nature: Relaxed
Gen V was so bad, ingame and competitively.

It's the only generation where I considered dropping the starters.
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:44 PM
GrayJM9
Playing White 2

Nature: Bold
I think III was the worst by design.
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Sirradez

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Sirradez
Are you guys kidding me?
Infernape is my favourite pokemon, which means my favourite starter is chimchar.
Gen V was the worst 1 IMO.
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
In terms of design I would have to say that I consider Gen-4 to have the worst starters. I simply thought them uninspiring, and not at all appealing. Most gen4 runs I end up not even using the starter which is a shame.
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Demon.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gen 4 and 5 are the only times ive ever switched out a starter. On pearl i did it because i had access to a blaziken, and blaziken>>>infernape. On white and white 2 it was just because i wasnt really feeling the starters. I like serperior and samurott, so Gen IV is what i chose.
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Pixadom
Unhatched Egg

I only really liked Gen 1 and 2 - they felt the most authentic.

PIXADOM - FREE ONLINE 2D PIXEL MONSTER MMORPG

Pixadom is a free 2D online pixel MMORPG where you can fight monsters, meet new people, chat and play games, explore the virtual Pixadom world, battle with other players, complete quests, earn XP, and more!
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Aurora
please help to bang crunch

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
I hate the Generation V starters. While I keep my starter with me every game I play, as I've been doing it since I was five, it was a burden to me to keep my starter during my playthroughs of Generation V, and I had to resist strong temptations to drop my starter numerous times throughout. I dislike their designs and I didn't 'feel' any enjoyment using them, unlike Generation IV, where I cherished my starter (so much so that I got Level 100 with one of them).
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Navy Blue
Artist

Nature: Modest
Kanto is overrated, but yeah still good.
Johto starters, eh. This would come in 2nd least fav.
I love all Hoenn starters unconditionally,
I like Empoleon, Torterra, and Infernape, so Sinnoh's good.
But as for V, I only liked Snivy and it's evolutions, so five would be my least favorite.

Good day.
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:29 PM
JohnnyJ773
Wanderer from Cianwood City

Gen V. I like Serperior design but that's about it...

BLACK 2 FC:1550-4719-5621HEART GOLD FC: 3483-2756-6167
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
I think it will be Gen.2 yeah yeah people will say Gen. 5 is more worst but it's only their looks. How about the stats? I don't really like the Gen.2 starters at all.
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:46 AM
Captain Falcon
Gotta go fast

Nature: Lax
I voted gen V, cause it was just uninspired. And did we really needed another fire/fighting type?
Old April 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM
Navy Blue
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayJM9 View Post
I think III was the worst by design.
Are you kidding?!?

Now that I think about it, Gen V and II are my least favorites.

Good day.
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:28 AM
GrayJM9
Playing White 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Blue View Post
Are you kidding?!?

Now that I think about it, Gen V and II are my least favorites.
Well, it's hard to choose because I think every Generation had good starters but treecko and mudkip were both in my bottom 5 along with Tepig, Chimchar and Totodile.
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:51 AM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
Generation III. They were not designed well and I don't like their evolutions.
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker

Gen V has the worst starters. Samurott is the only one that can holds its own and it can barely do that. Making Tepig into another Fire/Fighting really jaded me, plus it's not even a good Fire/Fighting type. Blaziken and Infernape put it to shame.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
GrayJM9
Playing White 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Generation III. They were not designed well and I don't like their evolutions.
Nice someone agrees with me.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Olli
I wanna see you be brave
Community Supporter

I'd say Gen V. I just like it was the generation where creativity in starters, really faded away. Except for Oshawott, they were all based on a type of animal which had already had at least one Pokemon designed for it, and there were no interesting typings this time around, especially not considering one of them was yet another Fire/Fighting type in a row, which I don't really see any excuse for. I also feel like they were less memorable than any other generation of starters, and overall, they just don't really reach the top of the list. Can't say much for them in battle, as I've only used Emboar so far, and it was pretty decent, although the worst of its typing tbh.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Gen V's designs are so bad. In every other generation, I like at least 2 of the start lines, in V I hate the fire + water and I think the Snivy line is only okay.

In game Serperior was nothing special either and I kept it in the party but rarely used it.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Gen 5, OMG BAD DESIGNS Oshawott is a little great, but Dewott and Samurott OMFG. The others were just meh. Gen 1,2,3 the best for me. (but gen 4 is my fav gen btw)

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server

I am gone bye
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:16 AM
PichuRules4ever
The TF2 Pyro

Nature: Jolly
Gen 4 had the worst starters to me (D/P/Pt). I didn't really like Chimchar or Turtwig, and even though I did choose Piplup, it wasn't my favorite. Even though gen 4 was one of my favorite gens, I thought it had the worst starters.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Sanguine
À la prochaine!
Community Supporter

Gen V, I just couldn't be bothered to actually use the starters in-game. Tbh, they were also among the worst design-wise, along with Gen IV.

[02:57] -Dark Azelf: u liek teh bottix
[19:45] -Dark Azelf: she is evil and cute kinda like satan except in a bunny forme

[00:57] -Kanzler: stupid guys make me homo
[23:11] +PervertedPika: Yeah, I have had bad things happen when my family was home and I was having Marky time in my room ;.;
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here