The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Pokemon will make people buy the 3DS, and make it a popular console. Not that many people will be cut off, everyone is going to start buying 3DSes now and people have 9 months until X and Y are released(and it's not like they have to buy it then, they can always get a 3DS and it months or even years later if they want). But I wouldn't say that Pokemon isn't dying. Gold and Silver era was the peak of Pokemon's popularity and it's been going down rather fast since. 3DS won't add any more nails to the coffin though.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:38 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Da_Boss View Post
Pokemon will make people buy the 3DS, and make it a popular console. Not that many people will be cut off, everyone is going to start buying 3DSes now and people have 9 months until X and Y are released(and it's not like they have to buy it then, they can always get a 3DS and it months or even years later if they want). But I wouldn't say that Pokemon isn't dying. Gold and Silver era was the peak of Pokemon's popularity and it's been going down rather fast since. 3DS won't add any more nails to the coffin though.
I disagree, Pokemon has been getting much higher in quality since gold silver, remember, Black and White were the single most best selling Pokemon games both through preorder and after release, that's definitely a huge boost in popularity, Pokemon is in no way dying and shouldn't be considered as such.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAbusoru View Post
I disagree, Pokemon has been getting much higher in quality since gold silver, remember, Black and White were the single most best selling Pokemon games both through preorder and after release, that's definitely a huge boost in popularity, Pokemon is in no way dying and shouldn't be considered as such.
Gold and Silver sold much more than BW. No Pokemon game has sold as much as them, or even come near.

Last edited by Lugia_Da_Boss; February 8th, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Gold and Silver sold much more than BW. No Pokemon game has sold as much as them, or even come near.
[citation needed]

Actually R/B/Y have sold more than Gold and Silver (look it up), and really, we can't even use the argument that the old games sold more simply because Black & White 1 are still pretty fresh and still selling.

On topic: No, the 3DS =/= RIP Pokemon. If anything, it's a huge step in the right direction.
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
[citation needed]

Actually R/B/Y have sold more than Gold and Silver (look it up), and really, we can't even use the argument that the old games sold more simply because Black & White 1 are still pretty fresh and still selling.

On topic: No, the 3DS =/= RIP Pokemon. If anything, it's a huge step in the right direction.
That's true, heck even HgSs are still being sold...

I beleive this step was necessary seeing how B2W2 practically went to the limits of the DS.
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
[citation needed]

Actually yeah, I think I misread the Red/Blue numbers. How much did they sell again? Can't seem to find it anymore. But anyway, the number of sales IS much lower than G/S and R/B/Y nowadays, and at least where I live, none of the movies are in cinemas anymore(the last one that was in the cinemas was during G/S/C era, I think). I think Pokemon is nowhere near dying yet, but the numbers of sales is definitely lower than they used to be and I think that they'll just keep dropping.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Actually yeah, I think I misread the Red/Blue numbers. How much did they sell again? Can't seem to find it anymore. But anyway, the number of sales IS much lower than G/S and R/B/Y nowadays, and at least where I live, none of the movies are in cinemas anymore(the last one that was in the cinemas was during G/S/C era, I think). I think Pokemon is nowhere near dying yet, but the numbers of sales is definitely lower than they used to be and I think that they'll just keep dropping.
Not really, the lowest sales were 3rd gen then DPPt picked it up and 5th gen is selling very well.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:25 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
Not really, the lowest sales were 3rd gen then DPPt picked it up and 5th gen is selling very well.
Speaking of gen III many blamed the low success of the Advance system on it's low sales, not sure how much of that is true, hopefully gen VI won't be the same. Though in Gen III's defense the Hoenn games were in the top three best selling games of the system if irc, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad if XY could surpass the sales of Kh3D, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, etc. at the very least.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM
EvilTotodile
We're Evil

i think that rather than having less people playing X and Y, we are gonna hve more people who haven't gotten a 3ds yet buying one, do the 3ds sales will most likely go up
Old February 9th, 2013, 09:32 AM
dreamcatcher
Lump Appraiser

Nature: Naughty
Honestly, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford a 3DS around the time that X/Y come out. Being a junior in high school, I have more important things to be saving my money for like a car and college. Although I know I'll end up buying one because I NEED X/Y, it won't be for awhile and by then gens 7,8...12 will have probably come out already. Oh well *le exasperated sigh*
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:42 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Well I bought a DS just to play Black/White, and I got my 3DS repaired after the top screen cracked after hearing X/Y was being released.

Pokemon is arguably the biggest handheld seller the system has. If people need more convincing there are a fantastic selection of games, both already available, and soon to come.

I expect big things from the 3DS and thus in Pokemon in general. It's acually quite affordable when it's all said and done.
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Quote:
R/B/Y sold almost a million more though Gold and Silver is clearly 2nd place.

Quote:
This is true. Gen 3 main series games sold about 19~ million (not including FRLG), and Gen 4 main series games (not including HGSS) sold about 24-25~ million.
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:31 PM
pokem0nprincess

Nature: Quirky
I doubt it will kill Pokemon. We've already had 9 main series games on the DS and another for the DS would be likely to kill it, imo. I plan to get a 3DS solely for X&Y. I got my DS for Pokemon only, and the same will go for the 3DS. I think if anything, the 3DS will spike in sales with the addition of X&Y. I think it's about time we got a main series game for the 3DS. After all, new 3DS models are sold packaged with B2W2 at stores right now. And I think the price has gone down sufficiently on 3DS models. I was concerned at first when the price was high, but now GameStop has them on sale for only $149 (temporarily) with the regular price of the 3DS XL at $199. Very affordable, in my opinion. Of course, I want a new system IMMEDIATELY, so as soon as I can afford it, I'll probably pick up an XL with a game or two just to pass time until October
Blue - 4 badges
Yellow - 4 badges
Gold - 8 badges but no E4
LeafGreen - 8 badges, E4, Kanto Dex completed
FireRed- 8 badges & E4
Emerald - 8 badges & E4, most of dex complete
Diamond - 8 badges, E4, working on dex
Pearl - 8 badges, no E4 yet
SoulSilver - 16 badges, no Red, working on dex
White - 8 badges, no E4
Black 2 - 7 badges
X 8 badges, E4, working on dex
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
It didn't help that the Gameboy Advance wasn't as well received to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford a 3DS around the time that X/Y come out. Being a junior in high school, I have more important things to be saving my money for like a car and college. Although I know I'll end up buying one because I NEED X/Y, it won't be for awhile and by then gens 7,8...12 will have probably come out already. Oh well *le exasperated sigh*
This is what birthdays and Christmas are for!

You can always ask for a 3DS and Pokémon X (or Y, whichever you prefer) as a birthday gift or Christmas present. While you have to save your money for more important reasons, it doesn't mean someone else couldn't buy it for you as a gift.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Waaaay back in the day, I got my GBC for Pokémon only. This time, though, I'm getting my 3DS for Pokémon as well as other games. The 3DS is looking pretty good with regards to games.

Old February 10th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
Just going by 3DS sales figures, let me just say that it doesn't look good. The problem with the system is a lack of good games (Along with Nintendo's disinterest in innovating, I mean, another "New Super Mario Bros." game?) coupled with a battery life that is just plain atrocious. I mean, the system is selling poorly, most people I know who own them, including myself, rarely, if ever, play them, and honestly, it's really not a great system.

So unless the new games are genuinely the best damn Pokemon games made, it doesn't look good for 'em.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyem View Post
Just going by 3DS sales figures, let me just say that it doesn't look good. The problem with the system is a lack of good games (Along with Nintendo's disinterest in innovating, I mean, another "New Super Mario Bros." game?) coupled with a battery life that is just plain atrocious. I mean, the system is selling poorly, most people I know who own them, including myself, rarely, if ever, play them, and honestly, it's really not a great system.

So unless the new games are genuinely the best damn Pokemon games made, it doesn't look good for 'em.
You know, if you just replaced "3DS" in your post with "PS Vita" and the references to Nintendo's franchises with Sony ones, it would be that much more accurate.

Nintendo has no adversaries in the handheld market in this new generation, because the Vita was a flop. It's sweet to watch Sony's spell coming back to bite them, as they took the lead in the home console market with a less powerful but more versatile console (PS1), and now they went for all-out horsepower with the Vita and it backfired horribly, losing badly to the less powerful 3DS.

Nintendo might be concerned about the smartphone and tablet market, but seriously, it's the same thing when we compare the PC to home consoles, and I can safely say home consoles have had the upper hand this generation because, among all the multi-platform games, all of those that are available for PC are bugged ports of Xbox 360 versions. The huge market for PC games still hasn't killed consoles, and it won't in the near future, provided MS, Nintendo and Sony play their cards well.

I'd say Nintendo has an even bigger lead on the handheld market, because there are no large-budget titles for Android and iOS. If the smartphone and tablet manufacturers can't grasp the hardcore gamer public, they'll never be able to dig deep into the handheld market.

Old February 11th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyem View Post

I can't say that I concur with your assessment.

First of all, the lack of good games, as you cite, is really just a matter of perspective. What you consider to be good might not be shared by others. For me personally, I spend hours playing Tetris with my 3DS, also OoT, Star Fox and Mario Kart. Those 4 games alone make having the 3DS well worth the money I paid for it. You deriding a "New Super Mario Bros." game is pretty disingenuous considering the Mario Bros. franchise is among the most successful franchises in console gaming history ever! Okay, you're not a fan. We get that. But again, that's your opinion, and your opinion is by no means shared by everyone.

Now let's get to this battery life complaint of yours. I travel a lot by public transit. I spend a good hour and a half each day going to and from work. I take my 3DS with me, and play during the entire trip. In 3 days I haven't had to recharge the battery. Sure by the 3rd day it's pretty low, but that's still about 4 and a half hours of constant play, without charging the battery! My old cell phone couldn't even hold a charge for more than 2 days of being in standby mode! If your battery isn't performing to your satisfaction, get another battery.

As to your charge that the 3DS is selling poorly, I have to say, you wouldn't know it by the number of systems that the store I work at sell. I work at Walmart and we can barely keep the thing in stock. In fact, I actually had to wait for a new shipment to arrive before I could get mine because we'd sold out, and that was for the new XL version! Poor sellers you say? Hardly. I think it's more likely you've been reading biased articles which cite incomplete or misleading statistics.

My prediction: 3DS sales will increase dramatically as a result of the release of Pokemon X and Y. Even if no packaged bundle is offered at the time of release, customers will be buying both the system and the game on release day, and well past it. This based on my experience in the retail industry with past major releases at an electronics retailer (Futureshop, Walmart).

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
I can't say that I concur with your assessment.

First of all, the lack of good games, as you cite, is really just a matter of perspective. What you consider to be good might not be shared by others. For me personally, I spend hours playing Tetris with my 3DS, also OoT, Star Fox and Mario Kart. Those 4 games alone make having the 3DS well worth the money I paid for it. You deriding a "New Super Mario Bros." game is pretty disingenuous considering the Mario Bros. franchise is among the most successful franchises in console gaming history ever! Okay, you're not a fan. We get that. But again, that's your opinion, and your opinion is by no means shared by everyone.

Now let's get to this battery life complaint of yours. I travel a lot by public transit. I spend a good hour and a half each day going to and from work. I take my 3DS with me, and play during the entire trip. In 3 days I haven't had to recharge the battery. Sure by the 3rd day it's pretty low, but that's still about 4 and a half hours of constant play, without charging the battery! My old cell phone couldn't even hold a charge for more than 2 days of being in standby mode! If your battery isn't performing to your satisfaction, get another battery.

As to your charge that the 3DS is selling poorly, I have to say, you wouldn't know it by the number of systems that the store I work at sell. I work at Walmart and we can barely keep the thing in stock. In fact, I actually had to wait for a new shipment to arrive before I could get mine because we'd sold out, and that was for the new XL version! Poor sellers you say? Hardly. I think it's more likely you've been reading biased articles which cite incomplete or misleading statistics.

My prediction: 3DS sales will increase dramatically as a result of the release of Pokemon X and Y. Even if no packaged bundle is offered at the time of release, customers will be buying both the system and the game on release day, and well past it. This based on my experience in the retail industry with past major releases at an electronics retailer (Futureshop, Walmart).
Regarding the articles, there are a lot of people writing fluff about how smartphones and tablets are gonna win the war against the 3DS, but most of the journalists who write those articles are just people who read statistics and don't seem to know the market and the consumers well. I find it very hard to believe that platforms whose leading titles are the likes of Angry Birds are going to dethrone portable consoles.

Seriously, people have been predicting Nintendo's downfall since the NES era. I actually expected Nintendo to give up during the Gamecube era and do what Sega did, but they came back stronger than ever, helped by their multi-million franchises and an innovative gaming concept (the Wii). In the handheld market, they have never been threatened by anyone and are set to monopolize the market once again if Sony doesn't do anything about the failure of the Vita.

Old February 11th, 2013, 01:23 PM
ChocolateCrunch
Not an old man. x]

My opinion is it's just Nintendo's way of saying:

"Hey, the DS-Pokémon era has passed, but the 3D one is only just beginning! The 3DS needs more sales so we're cutting off DS and passing it on to the 3DS! We need the money!"

Or something less cheesy and more understandable than that.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Hmmm the DS is a dead console. No relevant games are planned for the DS or even the DSi in 2013. So it's only natural that the series continues on the 3DS. B2W2 fully exhausted the DS's potential.

Old February 11th, 2013, 03:13 PM
PlatinumDawnFtw
Vocaloid fan~

3ds is a failed system imo, they need the popular titles to help it sell well.

only reason im buying 3ds is for pokemon x/y, and there are many others like me.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:33 PM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

I'm appalled some people still can't get over the fact that Gen 6 will be on the 3DS.

Once again, people, read this list and think: didn't Game Freak/The Pokémon Company/whoever is developing these games already throw you a bone? Didn't they already give the DS a second chance?
  • Game Boy - Generation 1: one Generation, versions of one story.
  • Game Boy Color - Generation 2: one Generation, versions of one story.
  • Game Boy Advance - Generation 3: one Generation, versions of two stories.
  • DS - Generations 4 and 5: two Generations, versions of four stories.
Let me put it bluntly: you should be thankful the DS already had twice as many generations and games than... I don't know, all the other Nintendo handhelds so far, not feel "betrayed" because it won't have Gen 6.

It blows my mind. I've never heard about people complaining about developers switching to superior hardware before. Before this, all transitions went smoothly, and now suddenly people start accusing the developers and Nintendo of being money grubbers and feeling betrayed... I'm not saying they don't do this for money, because come on, it is a business after all, but seriously people, what changed between then and now?

And about 3DS having no games that are worth it... remember that meme a few years back: "PS3 has no games"? I was saying that back then too, now I seriously plan on buying one because there are quite a few games I'm dying to play. It will be the same for the 3DS, just wait and see, and it starts with X/Y.
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDawnFtw View Post
3ds is a failed system imo, they need the popular titles to help it sell well.

only reason im buying 3ds is for pokemon x/y, and there are many others like me.
The 3DS has popular games. Very popular. That you don't like any of them doesn't make them unpopular, it just makes them games you personally don't like. Nintendo does not focus on only one particular group of gamers. Nintendo, being the smart and savvy company they are, create games that are everyone can enjoy. Limiting themselves by making one group of gamers happy over others is a very poor business strategy.

But maybe, just maybe, it's not the games that you're sore about. Maybe it's the system itself, and because the games you are griping about aren't on a system other than the 3DS you stubbornly refuse to touch them, or even acknowledge their existence.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_37040 View Post
The 3DS has popular games. Very popular. That you don't like any of them doesn't make them unpopular, it just makes them games you personally don't like. Nintendo does not focus on only one particular group of gamers. Nintendo, being the smart and savvy company they are, create games that are everyone can enjoy. Limiting themselves by making one group of gamers happy over others is a very poor business strategy.

But maybe, just maybe, it's not the games that you're sore about. Maybe it's the system itself, and because the games you are griping about aren't on a system other than the 3DS you stubbornly refuse to touch them, or even acknowledge their existence.

He speaks the truth.

The 3DS has plenty of interesting, quality titles, we havn't even touched on games Like Kid Icarus: Uprising, Resident Evil Revelations, and games that when it's all said and done, look very compartable to Vita titles, and far outshine any of the Android/Ipod equivalent titles.

Pokemon X and Y arn't the 3Ds's only major titles coming soon though either. With planned releases such as Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Fire Emblem X Shin Megumi Tenshi, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. The 3DS's Library is growing more competent with almost every release. I mean, sure a few of their more successful titles are remakes, but that's been going on every single other console, handheld or otherwise To bring it full circle to remain on topic, This system will not kill Pokemon, if anything Pokemon will give this system a boost so that developers will make even more amazing games.

Sponsored Links