The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:12 AM
cxd
Unhatched Egg

Advertise here
I think they are pretty good names...
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
Someone's been living in a rock...

On a more serious note, X and Y have to do with either the Game's Storyline(chromosomes, genetics etc.) Or Represent The Co-ordinate Axis. They actually Mean something this time around.The only thing titles of first 4 pokegens represented were The colour of Mascot pokemons. Not too Impressive.
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
EpicBroFist, Namer Extraordinaire

Anyways, I think the names are great.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud

Last edited by Keiran; February 8th, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Aquaphyre
水が好きな人

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBroFist View Post
X and y? REALLY POKEMON?! DID YOU SERIOUSLY RUN OUT OF NAMES?! I CAN NAME SO MANY GOOD ONES! QUAKE AND TORNADO! LIGHT AND SHADOW! SERIOUSLY POKEMON! THOSE ARE TERRIBLE NAMES!
I couldn't disagree more.. I love the names

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Good day, and welcome to the boards. We're not just a place to vent; we're a place to gain understanding behind things. I suggest doing the latter. It's less stressful.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:13 PM
EpicBroFist
Unhatched Egg

Hm. Now that I think about it... Maybe they aren't bad games.
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBroFist View Post
Hm. Now that I think about it... Maybe they aren't bad games.
I can think of names that are a lot worse.

But if the central theme of these games are going to revolve around genetics ─ there's a double helix found in the Japanese logo ─ then they are at least suitable, even if one may think their titles are bad.
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiImNate View Post
I think that the X and Y either represent axes on a graph or male and female chromosomes. Coldplay's album a few years back was also named X & Y but I don't think that this will have anything to do it the game haha.
Black and White also share names with albums interestingly enough...though that's proably just by chance.

I think they wanted to go with X and Y because these are 3D games while the 3D axis is made up of X, Y, and Z, also with the added pun (sort of) of genetics which use the same letters so it's a bit of killing two stones with one stone theme here.
Also X represents mystery, while Y is another intergal, so after N we might just be getting more mathematical here. (mathematics also use Z, K, and i so there's possible third version names there but Z would fit the best imo)
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:58 PM
chespinliz
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quiet
dont worry. it will be epic and fun and that all that matters
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Black and White also share names with albums interestingly enough...though that's proably just by chance.

I think they wanted to go with X and Y because these are 3D games while the 3D axis is made up of X, Y, and Z, also with the added pun (sort of) of genetics which use the same letters so it's a bit of killing two stones with one stone theme here.
Also X represents mystery, while Y is another intergal, so after N we might just be getting more mathematical here. (mathematics also use Z, K, and i so there's possible third version names there but Z would fit the best imo)
From my point of view, math uses any and every letter of the alphabet. Science too.

With the added in helix of the Japanese logo, one can't help but think that the titles are more than just GameFreak trying to be punny. Usually the names have nothing to do with the overall story or theme, but I suppose there is always a first for everything. While I think the theory of X and Y being points on the 3D axis is more of a symbolic representation for being made for the 3DS than anything else.
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Yamiidenryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
From my point of view, math uses any and every letter of the alphabet. Science too.

With the added in helix of the Japanese logo, one can't help but think that the titles are more than just GameFreak trying to be punny. Usually the names have nothing to do with the overall story or theme, but I suppose there is always a first for everything. While I think the theory of X and Y being points on the 3D axis is more of a symbolic representation for being made for the 3DS than anything else.
Actually, BW's names were related to the overall theme. You know the phrase "black-and-white thinking"? That was part of the theme. N even references it at one point.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:55 PM
The Legend of Zorra
La Leyenda de la Zorra

Nature: Impish
The idea of X and Y being a meaningless title is disturbing, and I doubt they'd do that just to throw the entire world off. Anyway, a Z sequel could tie into both the 3D theory AND the genetics theory, because the Z chromosome does exist in the ZW sex determination system. It's a bit of a stretch, but still plausible (and I hope to god that there is a genetics component to the plot, because if there was I would figuratively DIE OF HAPPINESS RIGHT THEN AND THERE); the ZW system determines the sex of birds, some fish, reptiles, insects, crustaceans, etc.

But I digress. I've got to say, if it happens it would combine two of my great nerdy loves, genetics and pokemon, and I don't know if I'd be able to handle all of the feels. And you know it's serious, because I never say "all of the feels."

EDIT: Call it too much bio if you want, but the X&Y germ theory is also something to chew on. If you look at the neuron and myosin shape, you really start to see Xerneas and Yveltal.

There's a bigger version of the picture, but I didn't want to stretch the board.

living proof that the camera's lying

Last edited by The Legend of Zorra; March 21st, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM
Ducklighter
Throw caution to the wind.

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Ducklighter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ducklighter Send a message via Skype™ to Ducklighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwan View Post
Y. I like Yveltal, my gender fits the Y chromosome, and I'm tall - so I fit the Y axis more than the X axis.
I always assumed X & Y were related to the axes rather than the chromosomes because it makes sense if they were to release a third game like RBY, GSC, RSE, DPP and possibly XYZ which are axes.

But yeah, sorry. Off topic but it was a question that I needed to ask.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:03 AM
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklighter View Post
I always assumed X & Y were related to the axes rather than the chromosomes because it makes sense if they were to release a third game like RBY, GSC, RSE, DPP and possibly XYZ which are axes.

But yeah, sorry. Off topic but it was a question that I needed to ask.
Off-topic there, but it should fit right at home here.

With so many theories floating around, I've kind of just put myself to believe that it's a combination of multiple reasons. From the likely use of genetics within the games' story to the representaion of the 3D axis.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:58 AM
TheHitAndKill
Youtube Me TheHitAndKill

I was thinking maybe it's X and Y because these are the final 2 new games that will be released? If you think about it they always release two games and then 1 more that is just the 2 games combined with more features (Ruby Sapphire Emerald, Gold, Silver and Crystal etc). Maybe the last game could be potentially called Z and Z is the last letter in the alphabet. But I suppose this isn't a US made game but it still could be the reason. I could also be talking out of my ass too.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Trust me, this has been brought up in multiple topics. I'm one of those who put forth the "Z" theory, and I also brought up genetics as the reason for those names (further hinted at by our Mewtwo Wannabe yesterday).

However, this is the 22nd game of this style of play; we're close to the x=24 idea.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 7th, 2013, 09:25 AM
CliCliW
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
I'd be very much for the idea that X and Y are related to the X and Y gender chromosomes too. What would be interesting is if Sylveon tied into the genetics idea but I don't know how...

Deceased:

Old April 7th, 2013, 09:35 AM
TheHitAndKill
Youtube Me TheHitAndKill

Genetics make sense, that mewtwo/frieza baby looking thing. Also they released a new eevee evolution. most pokedex entries for eevee's read as follow 'Its genetic code is unstable, so it could evolve in a variety of ways. There are only a few alive.'
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitAndKill View Post
Genetics make sense, that mewtwo/frieza baby looking thing. Also they released a new eevee evolution. most pokedex entries for eevee's read as follow 'Its genetic code is unstable, so it could evolve in a variety of ways. There are only a few alive.'
That was in Yellow. "There are only a few alive" has since been removed, and they even have a habitat in Castelia City in B2/W2.

Cyclone

Old April 7th, 2013, 09:45 AM
TheHitAndKill
Youtube Me TheHitAndKill

It doesn't matter if it was only in yellow, for the last part. The genetics part is in every other game.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitAndKill View Post
It doesn't matter if it was only in yellow, for the last part. The genetics part is in every other game.
Eevee is only referenced like that because it used to be the only Pokemon to evolve with 3 alternate evolutions. Now its the only Pokemon with 8 different evolutions. That's the only reason they say its Genetic code is messed up.

The Japanese titles for the game have a rainbow colored Helix in them. Its pretty well known that the theme is Genetic.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I personally feel that X/Y is more of a reference to genetics as a whole, and I really hope it delves more into that. How does evolution occur, specifically? And what factors influence evolution, and what are the many ways that we can influence evolution? Maybe the concept of mutation (as it is a biological occurance, after all) might make some sort of appearance, but all of these things pretty much come to my mind when I think of just the titles themselves.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here