The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradier234 View Post
I have it fixed. Thanks for the critique!
Try to use the redish trees a little bit more, using it just 3 times make the map a little bit boring.
Try to remove the bridge that leads to blues house, since it makes no sense because you can easily reach it on feet, and 2 bridges that close too each other doesnt look very well.
The water should be not that squarish also random stones in the water would'nt really hurt it either, and how is the hero going to get to the other side, hoping on the mountain i suppose?
In which you should try to map the mountains and trees not that squarish.

Also most comments i see here are just comments to have a reason to post theyre owns maps like "i like the tiles" or "place trees different" and thats it, i only saw like 3-4 people trying to give real sugguestions or critism to make someone improve theyre maps. How are they supposed to improve if they don't get told the truth that some parts of theyre mpas might be just bad?

Non of this is meant bad just my thoughts while dashing through the forum :<
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:28 PM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
Just been trying some new stuff like what I learned in work experience last year to make something pretty cool using Google Sketchup (I'm thinking 3D model possibilities for game dev here guys)...

Spoiler:
The mountain looks good. Not very impressed with the grass, it looks flat.
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppooookkkkkkk View Post
The mountain looks good. Not very impressed with the grass, it looks flat.
Like I basically said, it's a work in progress and it ain't finished.
Old February 1st, 2013, 06:24 AM
Zodiac.
Flannary Returns!

I think it looks pretty good, no idea why no-one has commented on this...

Would love to see more.

Old February 1st, 2013, 07:55 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Jolly
Google Sketchup, eh? Well your tiles look nice, but I'd like to see you create an actual map with it
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:47 AM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Nature: Calm
The 3D mini-map done by Rayquaza is very well done even for a prototype, like ppooookkkkkkk said the grass is flat making like the 3D rocks would be very useful ,I myself haven't looked at the system but if you can make certain pixels transparent that would be excellent.

Should Beauty ever be my best feature I would simply die
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:38 AM
Dradier234

Nature: Careful

Hey guys. My town I posted earlier has a couple more edits..

Last edited by Dradier234; February 2nd, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Rayd12smitty
Shadow Maker

Quote:

Hey guys. My town I posted earlier has a couple more edits..
It looks nice. You might want to move the hill the lab is on and the lab up more. That or get rid if some trees below it. The path is pretty small for going to the biggest building on the map
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Arma
Actually not mad at all

It looks way too cramped imo... the 3 trees directly above the building in the south west corner don't look to me. The two bridges so close to each other look ridiculous. And you might want to remove some trees below the lab... Hope this helps you!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:42 PM
Ramond Hikari
- Lonely Shooting Star -

Nature: Lonely
The upper bridge just doesn't match, and it's kind of unecessary, though.

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Update to Greengruff farm. Tiles by blackdragonredroses DA and Saving raven.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:08 PM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppooookkkkkkk View Post
Update to Greengruff farm. Tiles by blackdragonredroses DA and Saving raven.
I'm pretty sure that the Mart, Center and vehicles belong to boOmxBiG.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast

Nature: Adamant
The top floor of Sky Pillar in Ancient Emerald:

Old February 8th, 2013, 05:31 PM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Arms View Post
The top floor of Sky Pillar in Ancient Emerald:
Since it's a remake of an official map, I don't have much to comment on, but you've made good use of the GSC-style graphics.
8.5/10

Now, here's my remake of Ceruelan City.
Spoiler:

(I'd also like some feedback as to wether I should use some kind of underlying concrete in the city, like Jubilife City or if I should keep it as it is.)
PS: The Bridge is a placeholder, and the top right corner with empty water is undecorated til I've made the route north.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:14 PM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Mart, Center and vehicles belong to boOmxBiG.
Wad saying the new tiles ( crops and the barn.))
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Quote:
Originally Posted by tImE View Post
Now, here's my remake of Ceruelan City.
Spoiler:

(I'd also like some feedback as to wether I should use some kind of underlying concrete in the city, like Jubilife City or if I should keep it as it is.)
PS: The Bridge is a placeholder, and the top right corner with empty water is undecorated til I've made the route north.

It's pretty accurate minus a few things, if you are going for as close as possible

1) there shuold be a second path coming from the east of the bridge area, doesn't have to be connected to the bridge, just have one

2) There should be two cut trees in the south fence of the city, and on the East exit (East exit would also need a boulder)

3) You should probably extend the southern-most paths as they do just keep on going, and consider using light posts there if you want

Overall this map is very well done just these minor issues, I remember your Route 4 map had many errors in it but this is a vast improvement.

9.3/10

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:18 AM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperion View Post
It's pretty accurate minus a few things, if you are going for as close as possible

1) there shuold be a second path coming from the east of the bridge area, doesn't have to be connected to the bridge, just have one

2) There should be two cut trees in the south fence of the city, and on the East exit (East exit would also need a boulder)

3) You should probably extend the southern-most paths as they do just keep on going, and consider using light posts there if you want

Overall this map is very well done just these minor issues, I remember your Route 4 map had many errors in it but this is a vast improvement.

9.3/10
To start off, this isn't supposed to be an EXACT replica, as I don't like the way Nintendo made the maps in some ways.

1) For my game I've decided not to include the side-path, seeing as in real life, there'd be no need for a bridge, if you could just walk beside it anyways.

2) This map is a "Print Screen" straight out of RMXP, so no events such as Cut-trees are visible. They are there.
Not sure what you mean about the east exit, but the mountains will be added on Route 9 instead of being visible inside the town, and afaik, the cut tree to the east is on Route 9 aswell.

3) Sounds like a good idea, Thanks!
Old February 9th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
Decided to drop another map here for review.

Mount Moon Square
Spoiler:

This map was originally introduced in GSC, and brought back in HgSs, as a small area inside Mt Moon where Clefairy would gather on Mondays to dance around that pond. There was a small gift shop run by a grandmother and her granddaughter, or something like that, and it would close down on Monday Nights.

I personally believed it made no sense to have it as an area lodged who knows where within the mountains, and decided to make it where the exit of Mt Moon was, which also made no sense (Why would a stairway lead into a cave exit?).

The design I based it off of was the Heart Gold/Soul Silver design:
Spoiler:

It's not meant to exactly resemble the original design, but was loosely based off of it.
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
  • Touhoumon Essentials Development Starter Kit for RMXP - Version 1 finished and released.
    The following version is outdated a great deal. Do not bother downloading it. I will have a new, revised version up eventually. If you really want the engine, I can provide you with the current engine Faith & Prayer version uses.
  • Touhoumon: Faith and Prayer Version - Demo 3.1 Released
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all

The layout of both maps is quite nice. The trees you used in the first map are clashing horribly with the other tiles, either recolour them or use the FRLG ones. I also think you went a bit overboard with the flowers in both maps. The ledges under both buildings don't really have a purpose, but the one on the top map looks nice. I'd remove the one from the bottom map though.
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
Those trees are a placeholder for the time being, I need to insert the trees I normally use into the tileset, and those will tell me where I need to place them when I insert them.
As for the flowers, yeah, I suppose I could decrease them. I only went overboard because it felt like there was too much unused space in comparison with the map
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
  • Touhoumon Essentials Development Starter Kit for RMXP - Version 1 finished and released.
    The following version is outdated a great deal. Do not bother downloading it. I will have a new, revised version up eventually. If you really want the engine, I can provide you with the current engine Faith & Prayer version uses.
  • Touhoumon: Faith and Prayer Version - Demo 3.1 Released
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Here's a map I just came up with a little while ago

Spoiler:

Name: Sear Canyon
Exits: North (2), South (2)

This canyon used to house one of the Region's biggest Rivers, however since temperatures began to soar the river had disappeared. Since then a creek began to form across the canyon forming small patches of green. No trees can grow because of the vast amount of Fire and Electric types.

Old February 9th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperion View Post
Here's a map I just came up with a little while ago

Spoiler:

Name: Sear Canyon
Exits: North (2), South (2)

This canyon used to house one of the Region's biggest Rivers, however since temperatures began to soar the river had disappeared. Since then a creek began to form across the canyon forming small patches of green. No trees can grow because of the vast amount of Fire and Electric types.
I want to like the map, I really like the idea and history you put behind the map; and I hope other maps are this intricate as well. However it is entirely too empty; you need to add more pizzazz, more feeling, more interesting terrain. everything is in a box formation, naturally, nature does not form in such a fashion, it moves around, its random, its crazy; show this in your mountain ranges. Make the borders of them(the walls) flow and move around.
The river is too linear, you need to make it flow more, I get that its dried up, but make a path of clowing water, and add dirt or soil that would replicate the "flowing" nature of the once great river. other than that its a nice start to a potentially great map. Good luck with this map and fix it up!

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Thanks for the the Review Saving Raven, I was testing around with another Canyon map I had and decided to make it more Fertile so here it is. By the way neither of these maps are going to be in a game.

Spoiler:

Name: Nuzleaf Canyon
Exits: West (2), North (1), East (1)

This old canyon has been cared for by the people of the village to the East of it and their descendants were able to get Pokemon to migrate into the Canyon to keep it fertile, the wild grass and Trees are a symbol to an everlasting desire to preserve nature for the people of the village.

Old February 11th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Dradier234

Nature: Careful
Heres Deck City in PKMN Chaos Mind.
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all

Quote:
Heres Deck City in PKMN Chaos Mind.
Spoiler:
I'm going to blunt here, that map looks terrible. It can turn into a decent map with some work though.

The layout of the road is a good thing to base your city on, however, the buildings aren't properly aligned. It looks weird having varying widths of the road, try using 3 or four tile wide roads throughout the city.

the top part of the map looks really bad. It's like you duct-taped it on a town, the buildings don't match with the rest, and the are placed horribly. You should try placing the roads in front of them, not underneath them.

The fenced-in trees look nice, though their placement could've been a lot better. Try placing them between next to the vertical parts of the road.

I get the impression that this map was really rushed, like you just selected thins from the tileset and just splatted them together. Take your time while mapping, play test the game and walk through your map, pretending that this is the first time you visit it. Does everything look natural? Does it really give you the feeling you intended it to have? Do you know where you're supposed to go?

Anyway, please don't feel offended by this, I'm just trying to help you.

Sponsored Links