The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Grumpig. Kadabra's stronger, sure, but Grumpig is a pig. And it gets Bounce because its pre-evo HAS to bounce or it'll die. That's so hardcore.
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Master Magikarp

I would have to disagree with part about Breloom. (It's OU.) And why hasn't anyone said Chimecho?
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Schwan
Frontier Brain

Nature: Relaxed
I'm using a Shedinja in Ruby right now, and he's a lot more effective than I thought he'd be. I got him Swords Dance and EV trained his attack, and I'll put him up against many things and they can't even touch him!

I'm also gonna say Masquerain, that guy has saved me a ton with his diverse moveset: Shadow Ball, Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Aerial Ace.

Last edited by Schwan; February 19th, 2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:21 PM
Twiddle
Stepping on the cracks

Nature: Naive
Spinda. It may have those awful base stats, but his movepool is quite good for an in-game run.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
Guys, just because a Pokemon is available in RSE doesn't mean it is a gen III Pokemon. By "underrated 3rd gen Pokemon," it means a Pokemon introduced in generation III. If you're unsure as to whether or not something was introduced in that gen, go to Serebi and check the Hoenn section of their Pokedex. If it's not listed there, it's not a gen III Pokemon and doesn't need a mention in this thread.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
RandomMudkip
Class on grass
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Jolly
I think Claydol was underrated. I used to have one and it was somewhere between a wall and and offensive beast, so that's why I think clay solid underrated. I also agree with Slaking.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Jirachi504

In my opinion, Electabuzz was pretty underused from when I played a long time ago.
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:38 AM
emester15
Unhatched Egg

Mine are Cradily, Relicanth and Masqurein
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
For me it's Dusclops. He is such a defensive wall and can take a HUGE amount of damage. He was perfect to stall the opponent, and could be very useful if when he knew will-o-wisp!

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Breloom underrated? It's OU in competitive play these days, is it not? lmao

Anyway, I'll go with Altaria. It's specially pretty bulky and a decent special attacker. More people should use it. It's totally cuddly too. Can't go wrong with an in-game set of Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Fly, and Dragon Claw/Pulse. Good stuff.
I was going to say the same thing. I also think that Aggron is underrated, its got good stats, and if it weren't for the annoying typing I think it would be used a lot more. I also liked Armaldo a lot, and didn't see it used very much. :(
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old March 16th, 2013, 02:48 PM
jmapple10
Unhatched Egg

castform, people. CASTFORM. weather ball + hail = flying gym destruction
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Yeah, gotta admit, Castform was pretty cool. Just teach it Sunny Day, Rain Dance or Hail when required and it'll bust.

But other than that, I never really thought these were used much :

Cacturne, Crawdaunt, Shiftry, Sharpedo, Relicanth, Mawile (Fake Tears and Crunch) and... probably Altaria, cuz they thought it was a waste of a Dragon type.

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Hikamaru
The Aqua Mouse Pokémon

Nature: Quirky
I remember hearing that Tropius is often underrated but it makes such an awesome HM Slave thanks to it learning a lot of HM moves. And its stats aren't all that bad either, pretty balanced in fact.

Crystal Supporter Hikamaru

"The fur on its body naturally repels water. It can stay dry, even when it plays in the water."

Marill

Old March 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
ProfessorBeeching
Professor Of Fail

I'd definitely say Castform is underappreciated. It's part of why I tried to get as many ribbons for mine as I could, including the Earth Ribbon.

Other pokemon that are underrated in my eyes from my favourite Generation...Chimecho, definitely...I always thought it had blood on it. Hm, there's also Skitty, which is the best of the cat Pokemon, Nuzleaf, and Ludicolo. I don't normally hear much about Ludicolo except in Miror B fan groups. Of course, I'm not suggesting any of these from a competitive standpoint since I don't play competitively.
Old March 18th, 2013, 01:19 AM
orangeralts21
What more could you want?

Nature: Rash
I'd definitely say Pelipper. Everyone is scared of Pelipper because of its 4x weakness to electric type moves, but if you have, i dont know, a swampert it gets much easier. Pelipper has amazing HP and works great if you can avoid electric types
And i taught surf to pelipper so I could keep better moves on Swampert.

ps. if you use swampert use ice beam!!!or blizzard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameChocobo View Post
Slaking is really brutal. His overall base stats with Attack being 160 makes Whitney's Miltank look like a Magikarp.
Whitney was never really ever a problem for me in all of my silver runs. The last time I played I knocked out all of whitney's team using my HM Slave furret. its was only like lvl 16 or so.

"If I combine forces with Ralts, we can beat anyone!"
-Wally

My Albums! (have to be logged in)

Last edited by orangeralts21; March 18th, 2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
SoulSilver10112
George the Poliwag

Camerupt does not exactly get the attention he deserves, he has good typing, and some great moves in his movepool. Not to mention his ability, oblivious, is quite useful, as cute charm nor attract can effect him.

Challenges:
Heartgold Nuzlocke: Completed!
Pearl Nuzlocke: Completed!
Heartgold Gender Discrimination Challenge: Completed!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Zangoose is pretty underrated with access to Sword Dance and Close Combat. Its DW ability, Toxic Boost, makes him brutal, but he needs to stay away from Pokemon who are faster than him, for he has to sacrifice having a Choice Scarf for a Toxic Orb to activate his DW ability.

Credit goes to anon from JoyReactor.com for the sig he posted
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Wobbu
Dedenn-Eyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmapple10 View Post
castform, people. CASTFORM. weather ball + hail = flying gym destruction
If I had a dollar for every time I beat Winona with the Castform I received from the Weather Institute, I'd be rich. It's Hail form was her worst nightmare.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
Aslan
B.A.M.F

Linoone. When most people hear this name of the small and speedy creature they roll their eyes and say that it's only purpose in the game is to be a HM Slave and nothing more. But it is heavily underrated, in my eyes it's much more than an addition to your team only to cut down trees and move boulders. With the convenient ability of Pickup I was also able to snag up some useful items throughout my journey and it has a huge range of moves not to mention a fantastic speed. But seriously people shouldn't underestimate and misjudge Linoone, it's simply badass. <3
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
Wurmple and his final evolution, Dustox.

Almost nobody keeps a starting bug-type in their team, but I did. I raised him till he eventually turned into a Dustox, and boy, is that silver wind attack tough.

Pairs - -
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
JustChillin810
xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
Shiftry is one, it has reasonable stats and a fairly diverse movepool. It may not be as good as some but it is pretty awesome (especially as of Gen V).

Castform because as I have said before it is hugely diverse, doesn't have terrible stats and sunny castform can deal X5 damage with weatherball.

Walrein - It can take a beating, has good typing, good stats and has a pretty decent movepool.
I have used shifty and walrein a number of times and they are actually really awesome. Quite a few of my friends actually use these pokémon a lot too so I wouldn't call them underrated. I would have to say in some people's minds Crobat is pretty underrated and has absolutely amazing speed. Also Exploud, even though it is a normal type, it has decent defense and attack stats and can learn some really good moves.

Pikachu is boss!
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
inferno7453
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Magikarp View Post
I would have to disagree with part about Breloom. (It's OU.) And why hasn't anyone said Chimecho?
Chimecho, now that's one that for some time I thought you couldn't catch, until Bulbapedia said for me to look on top of Mt. Pyre. Now I'd say a few other ones would be Castform, Slaking, I myself didn't use my Slakoth because of his ability, although I found it extremely hard to beat Norman's Slaking without the right Pokémon.
I'd say Tropius is used as a mere HM slave when he could be a monster. I disagree with Altaria being underrated though, I've always used her for my Dragon-type attacks against Drake. Wurmple and any other Bug-type early on are also underrated, I myself just leave them be. The Whismur line also seams to be very underrated.

Challenges completed:
-

Youtube Channel (for Challenge Updates): http://www.youtube.com/user/inferno7453
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Robotechnic
League Champion

Shiftry can be a pimp once he learns all of is abilities and you level him up.

Sponsored Links