The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Axeliira
the wants what it wants

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Dang. They're $60 here. I just took an ethernet cord and strung it across the apartment through the radiators. I barely managed it. But at least I have a faster connection than wireless will provide.
Oh! I actually did that method before. I used an ethernet cord to connect my xbox to my laptop. Took me a few tries to get it right, but I was able to connect online just fine. Problem is...I need my laptop to...move, ya know? xD

$30 is the price of some wireless adapters on ebay. I don't know how much it costs in stores tbh...I'm sure it's more than $50.
11/21/2014 / Staff Collab 2014
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:03 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
It's understandable if you're proud to be part of the Video Games industry, but alas my interest in this hobby is weakening the more I grow up, and thus it's why I lean to the more casual, arcade-y or classic games. It does make me way more appreciative to certain games though. (Rhythm Heaven Fever being a big one.)

Dammit, that makes me sound like an old geezer when I'm only 16.
I understand how you feel, I've watched as the gaming industry has fluctuated for many years, and I at one point my interest started to wane. However, in recent years, my yearning for better games and my hope for revolution have risen to new heights. I don't really know why I changed, maybe it's because I got into reviewing or because my ambition to become a game developer and revolutionize the industry myself grew, but I've been having more fun in recent years.

Quote:
Since we're still on the topic, I have to say that having a PC feels more right then anything, because after experiencing the best the PS2/Xbox generation can offer, I just bought a PS2 a couple of years ago and I'm only 20 games of like 60-70, I feel like there is no justification for the current state of gaming, and I feel more in tune with why a lot of people will go for PC instead of the next consoles. Bar the racing genre which is a beast of a genre compared to last gen, there is no genre out there that has otherwise evolved, perhaps maybe sandbox games. Everything was basically perfected on the PS2 if you go by all the other genres that are for this gen. RPGs? PS2 easily has the best of all time, alongside the DS. Action/Adventure? Beyond good and Evil, DMC3, The Jak trilogy, the Sly Trilogy, Maximo, Rygar, etc all were shining examples. Shooters? Well this gen certainly did have a lot of em, but did they really go far? I mean seriously, you had Psy-ops, Timesplitters, all those bond games, Black which was MW before MW, Syphon Filter, etc. Horror is as good as dead on consoles, with indie PC efforts making more splashes. I truly do not want to buy any console other then Nintendo's own from here on out, not because it would be cheaper as I was considering in 2006, but cause there's no reason too, as of now, when I see why so many were disappointed with the consoles. Sure things picked up, but they picked up too slowly for many, and next gen is going to continue with this subpar route for god knows how long.
I completely agree with you, there is no other system that I love more than the PS2, and I regard it as the greatest system of all time because of it. It is a shame that gaming has degenerated to the point that it has, but as I always say, there's always hope. I feel that, as time goes on, the whole "rehash tactic" is becoming more and more stale with the consumer. I remember a few days ago, I heard some core gamers talking about how CoD was getting boring, even saying that they wouldn't buy the next one. That made me smile. I've noticed that, slowly but surely, the core and casual gamers are growing tires of this "minimal effort" tactic by publishers such as EA and Activision, and more, that "niche" titles like Persona 4 Golden, Ni no Kuni, and various other titles are getting attention from those that previously wouldn't have batted an eye at them, and I think that this could mean great things for the industry.

I mean, it's not that I want CoD to die, I liked 1-4 because back then the games had engaging stories as well as engaging multiplayers, but now all it does it tell developers that they can do as little as possible and charge as much as possible. If the consumer changes, however, then Infinity Ward and Treyarch will be forced to innovate, and the games that people loved would rise from the ashes.

---

Also, if you guys don't mind, I just posted my review of .Hack//G.U. - Rebirth, and I'd be happy if you guys would read it. It took way longer than I expected to write.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
Since we're still on the topic, I have to say that having a PC feels more right then anything, because after experiencing the best the PS2/Xbox generation can offer, I just bought a PS2 a couple of years ago and I'm only 20 games of like 60-70, I feel like there is no justification for the current state of gaming, and I feel more in tune with why a lot of people will go for PC instead of the next consoles. Bar the racing genre which is a beast of a genre compared to last gen, there is no genre out there that has otherwise evolved, perhaps maybe sandbox games. Everything was basically perfected on the PS2 if you go by all the other genres that are for this gen. RPGs? PS2 easily has the best of all time, alongside the DS. Action/Adventure? Beyond good and Evil, DMC3, The Jak trilogy, the Sly Trilogy, Maximo, Rygar, etc all were shining examples. Shooters? Well this gen certainly did have a lot of em, but did they really go far? I mean seriously, you had Psy-ops, Timesplitters, all those bond games, Black which was MW before MW, Syphon Filter, etc. Horror is as good as dead on consoles, with indie PC efforts making more splashes. I truly do not want to buy any console other then Nintendo's own from here on out, not because it would be cheaper as I was considering in 2006, but cause there's no reason too, as of now, when I see why so many were disappointed with the consoles. Sure things picked up, but they picked up too slowly for many, and next gen is going to continue with this subpar route for god knows how long.
Actually, fighters and platformers this generation completely trump last gen's. The former was completely scarce and basically dead until Street Fighter 4 decided to roll in and revive the genre in 2009. I mean, sure you got Tekken, and while Tag Tournament was a great PS2 launch game, 4 was disappointing. 5 got a port later on the PS3/360 with online that ultimately made it the definitive version. That said actually, online was also a huge part in the genre's return.

Good platformers were pretty much rare last gen however. The GBA was the only viable hardware if you wanted good platformers, but most of them were ports, and the only notable original platformers were Wario Land 4, Mario vs Donkey Kong and the 2 surprisingly great Crash Bandicoot games. (Mind you, I haven't played DK: King of Swings but if Jungle Climber is anything to go by I'm sure it's pretty good, but really gimmicky.) Sony's PS2 platformers (Jak, Sly and Ratchet) were way gimmicky and really felt more action than platformer. Mario Sunshine was better but it still was gimmicky and didn't meet the bar that 64 set. The other platformer the GCN had, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (second best platformer last gen behind WL4), was a combo rhythm-based platformer that was designed around bongos. Xbox had no notable platformers at all. Also, don't get me started on Sonic...

Last edited by Spinosaurus; February 10th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Actually, fighters and platformers this generation completely trump last gen's. The former was completely scarce and basically dead until Street Fighter 4 decided to roll in and revive the genre in 2009. I mean, sure you got Tekken, and while Tag Tournament was a great PS2 launch game, 4 was disappointing. 5 got a port later on the PS3/360 with online that ultimately made it the definitive version. That said actually, online was also a huge part in the genre's return.

Good platformers were pretty much rare last gen however. The GBA was the only viable hardware if you wanted good platformers, but most of them were ports, and the only notable original platformer was Wario Land 4. Sony's PS2 platformers (Jak, Sly and Ratchet) were way gimmicky and really felt more action than platformer. Mario Sunshine was better but it still was gimmicky and didn't meet the bar that 64 set. The other platformer the GCN had, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (second best platformer last gen behind WL4), was a combo rhythm-based platformer that was designed around bongos. Xbox had no notable platformers at all.
Yeah forgot fighting which was also top of this gen, I'm not gonna deny it. The GBA comment though...the hell? Drill Dozer, the two Klonoa's, Megaman Zero 1-4, Kirby Return to Dremland and a whole slew of other games which were 100% new are on it. I dunno what GBA you owned, but it killed when it came to 2D platforming goodness. And more action then platformer still makes it a platformer if you're running around, jumping from place to place. There's a reason why action-platformers exists.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Spinosaurus

I never played Drill Dozer since I live in Europe, didn't even know Klonoa had games on the GBA (it's an obscure series, notice how I said "notable"), if we're gonna count Megaman Zero, which was more action/shooter than platformer, then we might as well count Metroid, and Kirby's strength isn't platforming. Also edited my comment to add three GBA platformers that I forgot about. It still doesn't change the fact the best of GBA's platformers were on the SNES anyway.

The PS2 platformers were rather...eh. I like them, don't get me wrong, but Jak 1 aside they're often regarded as action/adventure games, and that's really their big strength, because their platforming is often subpar. No one is gonna remember them as platformers, just because it has platforming. Going back to an example above, it's like calling a Metroid game a platformer because you jump on platformers but that's really not what the series is about at all, or calling Skyrm a first person shooter.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:39 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
I never played Drill Dozer since I live in Europe, didn't even know Klonoa had games on the GBA (it's an obscure series, notice how I said "notable"), if we're gonna count Megaman Zero, which was more action/shooter than platformer, then we might as well count Metroid, and Kirby's strength isn't platforming. Also edited my comment to add three GBA platformers that I forgot about. It still doesn't change the fact the best of GBA's platformers were on the SNES anyway.
Megaman Zero is classified as an Action Platformer, and that's really what Megaman as a whole is because...well, the platforming is almost as much as, if not more of, a threat to the player than the actual enemies are.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Deleted my previous post, cause Machomuu made me look stupid for bringing Megaman up, but not sticking to it cause of what he stated. The platforming bits are indeed more dangerous then the enemies, cause that stuff needs to be pixel perfect, or its the spike pit for you. And while Klonoa is obscure, viable originality does exist within it, if you are looking for great platformers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYESiOV0suY
Early levels, as the description states, which is why it looks easy. It gets harder, as also stated. Some of the stuff before the 5th boss, man...
Another good example is Super Monkey Ball Jr. Not too hard, a lot of new levels, and the game is as hard as the console version.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:49 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

I haven't played much of Klanoa for the GBA, but one of my most nostalgic games is Klanoa 2 for the PS2. I just remember buying it one day because it looked interesting and then playing it over and over again for years, I absolutely loved that game as a child.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

I'm playing the ever living crap out of it right now, that's why I'm suddenly reminded of the GBA ones, haha I actually played them when they came out almost a decade ago, and Klonoa 2 made that little light bulb in my head go off. Easy game, might be a bit short, but the 150+ gem collecting in every level for concept art is gonna have me glued to it. Also thinking about getting Pacman World 2 for no reason whatsoever other than nostalgia. That game was fun.
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Pacman is one of my all-time favorites; although the only one I've played is the original version. I should really get to trying Pacman 2 and such, apparently there is a Mrs. Pacman game so I might wanna check that out. :3
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Megaman Zero is classified as an Action Platformer, and that's really what Megaman as a whole is because...well, the platforming is almost as much as, if not more of, a threat to the player than the actual enemies are.
Is that so? I was under the impression that it was an action sidescroller with some platforming from what I saw and played, but I only played bits of the first game and I never felt the platforming was anything threatening unlike the original Mega Man games. Maybe the platforming gets dangerous later on but eh.
Quote:
Deleted my previous post, cause Machomuu made me look stupid for bringing Megaman up, but not sticking to it cause of what he stated. The platforming bits are indeed more dangerous then the enemies, cause that stuff needs to be pixel perfect, or its the spike pit for you. And while Klonoa is obscure, viable originality does exist within it, if you are looking for great platformers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYESiOV0suY
Early levels, as the description states, which is why it looks easy. It gets harder, as also stated. Some of the stuff before the 5th boss, man...
Another good example is Super Monkey Ball Jr. Not too hard, a lot of new levels, and the game is as hard as the console version.
Even if it's a solid platformer (I have no doubt it is), it's still obscure and only few probably know about it. I was hesitant of mentioning the Crash platformers myself until I remembered they were released not long after the PS1 games so Crash was still as big and relevant as he was at that time. I mean, I'm sure there are other great platformers last gen I don't know of, but when I think of the big names I think of nothing. (Wario Land is in the end is still a B-tier Nintendo franchise and Mario vs Donkey Kong didn't get any recognition.) I may have perhaps misworded my previous post and should have mentioned the popularity of brands. Either way, my point still stands that platformers this gen was way better than last gen's, ports or not.
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Platformers this gen were the Mario Galaxy games, Cave Story, and Mutant Mudds? That's all I can say if we're going strictly by popularity, and even then its a poor performance outside of Nintendo.
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Spinosaurus

Galaxy + Mario 3D land alone are huge, but let's not forget about the huge revival of 2D Mario with the four New Super Mario games. Donkey Kong Country Returns was also a big one and is widely regarded as one of the best 2D platformers. There are also Wario Land: Shake It!, Super Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island DS, which were pretty decent, same for Super Princess Peach and DK: Jungle Climber.

Outside of Nintendo, we got Super Meat Boy which is very highly praised. Rayman Origins and Legends are also often seen as instant classics. LBP is a huge one, too, given its popularity. Sonic this generation went to the right direction with some solid games (Rush, Colors and Generation). Weren't Megaman 9 and 10 also from this gen? I've heard they're pretty amazing.

When it comes to 2D platformers this gen exploded with some very high quality titles. It's only 3D left in the dust (at least there's Epic Mickey, right?), but I'm sure Galaxy alone satisfied needs. Though, let's not forget the next 3D Mario is due this year or the next one, if you want to count Wii U as this gen.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; February 11th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Galaxy was amazing; but then again, so were all the other Mario games. Mariokart is huge, I remember it was massive on the Wii and the DS a couple years back and now greatness is thrown back into our lives with MK7!

Sonic I also enjoyed as a platform game, different to the other games back when it was made. And yeah Spino, I think the Megaman's were from this gen.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Super Paper Mario and Super Princess Peach in all honesty were mediocre efforts at best. Fun, but a bit dull after a while. Sonic on the other hand was indeed great this gen, Colors and Generations hit a certain high point, and the rush games were pretty fun. So I guess you could say platformers shined this gen, but something was still missing. That something hopefully is whatever started these last years and is continued through the next gen now that more developers are on terra firma when it comes to making games.
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Super Paper Mario and Super Princess Peach in all honesty were mediocre efforts at best. Fun, but a bit dull after a while. Sonic on the other hand was indeed great this gen, Colors and Generations hit a certain high point, and the rush games were pretty fun. So I guess you could say platformers shined this gen, but something was still missing. That something hopefully is whatever started these last years and is continued through the next gen now that more developers are on terra firma when it comes to making games.
Sonic was okay, I'd say. I mean, yeah, it had Generations and Colors, but this generation also had the motherload of bad Sonic games, most notably '06. Well, I wouldn't say "okay", but it's been one heck of a roller coaster with the seventh generation.

Also, I noticed that you listed Mutant Mudds as last generation (the 7th gen: 360, DS, Wii, PS3, and PSP), but it's an eighth generation title. Same with Super Mario 3D.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Sonic being okay? I must disagree with you there. The "bad" games weren't all that bad, they were still fun. Generations and Colors really worked, great games.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Low View Post
Sonic being okay? I must disagree with you there. The "bad" games weren't all that bad, they were still fun. Generations and Colors really worked, great games.
I think "bad" games being not all that bad would qualify as being "okay"; after all, every game is susceptible to being just "okay", no matter how prominent they are.

...But I'd definitely say that '06 was bad.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
I think "bad" games being not all that bad would qualify as being "okay"; after all, every game is susceptible to being just "okay", no matter how prominent they are.

...But I'd definitely say that '06 was bad.
But then added with with the other Sonic games in the generation it still adds up to a great set of games. Nonetheless, I was just stating that the games you mentioned in Sonic "bad" were actually not bad...but I wouldn't rank them with other games that are susceptible to be "okay". They are better than that. After all, we all have our own opinion on games, and this is mine.

I haven't actually seen this question proposed or answered much; but who is your favorite Sonic character? I'd have to go with Knuckles. He is just amazing, and came in very handy running the 400m in M&S @ The Olympic Games.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:45 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

The problem here lies in fun =/= good. You can pretty much enjoy any game given the right mindset. Sonic '06 is a terrible game full of glitches, bad physics, and unfair sequences. The subsequent games weren't all that good either...the only exceptions being Colors and Generations, so yea I'd agree Sonic was simply okay this generation.

I'm a huge Sonic fan~
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

It's fair to agree and I see your point. It's just even though given the bad reviews, I still really enjoyed these games and didn't mind any of the flaws they had; although agreeably '06 had quite a few.
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:07 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

To be honest, I had fun with Sonic '06 but objectively speaking the game was crap and it was broken as hell. It's all good though; I still got Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on standby if I want a wee-bit of nostalgia.
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

I always find it nice to go back to the old, classic games of Mario/Sonic. Really makes me feel like a 6-year-old, since those are the sort of games I played back then. 'Twas a good year in my life. :3
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
The problem here lies in fun =/= good. You can pretty much enjoy any game given the right mindset.
I was just about to say this! Still, there's nothing wrong with liking or having fun with bad games. Heck, since I became interested in reviewing, I've played quite a few bad games and not all of them were torture. I had some fun with Cheetahmen, as well as Operation Darkness, to name a few.

Speaking of that, if you guys find Operation Darkness for a cheap price, you should give it a try. It makes quite a few missteps but still provides some fun, especially to those who are Strategy fans.

Last edited by machomuu; February 11th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Its that WW2 RPG from Atlus right? Never had a go at it, but it looks fun. Another b-rate game that is absolutely amazing is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Its almost so b-rate that its likely intentional, and I love how the game progresses.

Sponsored Links