The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 9th, 2010 (09:20 AM). Edited August 9th, 2010 by AceDragonite.
AceDragonite
Champion

Nature: Bold
This is the Thread for The Gym Leader/E4 etymologies to discuss, here is what I think/know, anything you guys can contribute?

Brock-(Rock)
Misty-(Mist)
Lt. Surge-(Lieutant is a bit like lighting and a "Surge of electricity)
Erika-No Clue
Sabrina-I read somewhere that it had to do with the show "Sabrina the Teenage witcH"
Koga-A japanese Name because he is a ninja?
Blaine-(Blaze)
Giovanni-Geo, meaning earth
Blue (Well he's Red's rival, no real etymology)
Lorelei-No Clue
Bruno-(Brutal)
Agatha-(Hag)
Lance-No Clue
Falkner-(Falcon)
Bugsy-(Bug)
Whitney-(White)
Morty- (Mortify which means "To scare)
Chuck-(He chucks boulders in GSC??? idrk)
Jasmine-(Name of a Mineral I believe)
Pryce-(Ice)
Clair-No clue
Will-(Willpower)
Karen-No Clue
Roxanne-Rock
Brawly-Brawl
Wattson-Watt
Flannery-Flame
Norman-Normal
Winona-Kind of a mix of Wind/Fly
Tate and Liza-No Clue ,maybe tate is a play on Medidate?
Wallace-Wa-ter
Juan-Same beginning sound as wallace and water
Sidney-Sin?
Phoebe-Phobia, which is a word for fear
Glacia-Glacier
Drake-Another word for Dragon
Steven-First three letters as steel
Roark-Rock
Gardenia-Garden
Maylene-No Clue
Crasher Wake-Wake, Crashing Waves
Fantina-Phantom
Byron-Iron
Candice-Last three letters of her name spell "Ice)
Volkner-Volt
Aaron-No Clue
Bertha-Earth
Flint-Flint is a rock used to make fire
Lucian-No Clue
Old August 9th, 2010 (09:49 AM).
Timbjerr
Visionary Aqua Leader
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDragonite View Post
Erika-Shares her name with a genus of flower
Sabrina-Brain always come to mind with me. :/
Koga-Kouga-ryu is one of the two main schools of ninja
Janine - anagram of ninja with an extra E thrown in
Agatha-Ghastly comes to mind for me
Lance-hmm...what weapons did medieval knights traditionally slay dragons with? XD
Falkner-It's worth noting that a falconer is someone who tames falcons
Morty- Mort in general is a latin base word referring to the afterlife
Jasmine-The word mine
Clair-Lair...as in a dragon's lair
Tate and Liza-play on "levitate" referring to their psychihc abilities and the shared ability of their two signature pokemon. XD
Maylene-play on Melee, a word for close-quarters combat
Aaron-Arachnid
Just a few that I could fill in for you or offer an alternative theory. :P

Also, you completely forgot Janine. XD
The sea is an irreplaceable treasure for every living thing on this planet. But with our selfish extravagance, humanity dirties the great ocean, destroying this source of all life... Day by day, we're all destroying our most precious resource! If we humans suffer from our actions, well, maybe we'll end up getting what we deserve. But what about the Pokémon in our world? The Pokémon that no longer have a place to live because we stole and soiled their seas? The Pokémon that won't have a place to raise their young and watch them grow? We are creating a world in which innocent Pokémon suffer as a result of our actions... And that is something that I can't forgive! That's why I came to a decision, see? The foolish actions of my fellow humans, the seas we have blighted, nature itself... I will return everything to its unspoiled beginnings!
Old August 9th, 2010 (11:47 AM).
Gymnotide
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Nature: Naughty
I'll finish it up then.

Lorelei is from Greek, named after a siren. It's appropriate because sirens sang songs to lead seagoing travelers into their doom and Lorelei is a Water-type trainer with both Jynx (see Futakuchi-onna) and Lapras (a singing seagoing Pokemon).

Lucian is from "illusion."

Karen is named after a Japanese flower. It has no meaning whatsoever.

Sidney brings to mind "insidious."

Cynthia comes from Greek as an epithet for the Greek Goddess Artemis, who after some time became associated and grouped with the moon-deities Selene and Phoebus. It also shares the first two letters with Cyrus' name, of whom we can consider Cynthia's polar opposite. In addition, Cyrus' name refers to the sun in Persian, so this evidence is further enforced.

"I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away."

Khaled Hosseini

→ Refresh for a different picture
→ White FC: Haruka 0347 0171 1756

whoever disabled my signature:
my signature is not even close to 300px tall.
i dont understand why it was disabled.
Old August 9th, 2010 (12:20 PM).
PunxsatownyPhil
The guy who still uses a GBC

Nature: Jolly
Chuck... Norris? Martial arts?

Old August 9th, 2010 (01:43 PM).
Gymnotide
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnotide View Post
Cynthia comes from Greek as an epithet for the Greek Goddess Artemis, who after some time became associated and grouped with the moon-deities Selene and Phoebus. It also shares the first two letters with Cyrus' name, of whom we can consider Cynthia's polar opposite. In addition, Cyrus' name refers to the sun in Persian, so this evidence is further enforced.
Let me clarify too. Both Cynthia and Cyrus have a love for nature, though in different senses. Cynthia believes that lives, of both humans and Pokemon, are linked and the world is what it is because it was meant to be that way from the very beginning. Her philosophy is that no matter what happens, you keep on living and look forward to the future. However, Cyrus believes that everything that has happened has ruined the world and the only solution is to destroy it and start it anew. He believes that many mistakes have been made and they must be atoned for by recreating one's own life and world. The two of them are extremely interested in Legendary Pokemon, but have different motives for meeting them -- Cynthia wishes to understand them while Cyrus wishes to exploit them.

Other ideas that make it clearer that they are opposites include the facts that: (1) Cynthia is the Elite Four Champion, a leader of the Elite Four, if you may, while Cyrus is the leader of Team Galactic (which, coincidentally, also has four executive members in it); (2) their genders are opposite; (3) Cynthia is social and open to everyone while Cyrus prefers seclusion and often speaks in cryptic messages; (4) Cynthia uses all types of Pokemon, even the thought-to-be sinister Spiritomb, while Cyrus only uses Pokemon with a negative connotation associated with them; among other ideas.

Too elaborate?

edit I also forgot to mention how the moon is generally associated with a calmer, flowing nature, like the tides or moonlight, while the sun is more turbulent, burning with passion until its very core runs out of energy and causes the whole to implode.

"I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away."

Khaled Hosseini

→ Refresh for a different picture
→ White FC: Haruka 0347 0171 1756

whoever disabled my signature:
my signature is not even close to 300px tall.
i dont understand why it was disabled.
Old February 11th, 2013 (04:06 PM).
CaptainDarvin
Unhatched Egg

Karen: Darken without the D or somthing else.
Old February 11th, 2013 (07:34 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Please don't revive threads so old! :)

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply