• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What pokemon do you use?

infersaime

Come and get me
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
So I don't mean which pokemon you sue throughout the sory. But I mean do you prefer to use pokemon that are very strong and used very much, or pokemon that aren't strong and are almost not used?

I use mostly pokemon that not many people uses like now I'm replaying through Soulsilver and I'm using a ledyba.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I use whatever I like, really. Sometimes there might be a Pokemon that interests me and I'll start the game over just to use it specifically. I like diversity and I like to try using all sorts of Pokemon and don't generally like using the same things over and over, unless they're just that awesome or personal favorites.

I generally do like picking things most people wouldn't think to use, though. I plan on using a Corsola in my recent restart of Emerald. I restarted it just to use Beautifly and Lunatone on a team as well, so yeah.

RenegadeClyde

....'-'.
Years
I usually like to use pokémon that people don't use often, or pokémon that I never or barely used. I think that using different kind of pokémon is a great experience, and sometimes pokémon that I didn't even like much can surprise me. I also NEVER have the same type twice in my team. (Unless it's a dark type. That's a type I wouldn't mind having a full team :3)

Years
I like to use any strong OP Pokemon with good stats and badass movepools. For B/W and B2/W2 I checked the Pokemon Reviews on Marriland's website which is where he reviews a Pokemon and gives it a rating out of 5 stars for usability throughout the game. I then decided my teams from there.

Also, I try my hardest not to double up on types and fix any glaring weaknesses I have. In fact all my Black 2 team members except my starter are dual-typed (my starter in that game was Samurott).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I use whatever Pokemon I feel like using. Strong, Weak, it doesn't matter to me. If I like 'em or feel like trying them out I will. Some of my personal favorites are weaker Pokemon, and I'm perfectly okay with that.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I use whatever I feel like using and sometimes will hack to achieve that (like getting a Pidgey in Pokemon Black).

I just try to have fun with the game and training the pokemon so it doesn't matter if they're weak, strong, ugly, cute, etc.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I usually pick out poke's i would like to use for my team before restarting a game, then i start the game and totoally pick random poke's as i go through the game whether i have 2+ of the same type on my team (mostly use this kind of stradagy with new games). like for my startover for White 2, i have 2 poke's that have dragon as a secondary type. My White version i had a Kroodadile and Scrafty, 2 poke's that have dark typing. i never thought i would use a Normal type all the way through the game, or a bug type either, untill HeartGold came along....

So pretty much i use random types as i go through the game

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I use Pokemon that I like first, according to their design, then using my knowledge of Pokemon (with lots of help from Bulbapedia - to see what Pokemon live in certain areas, where the hidden items are at - also finding out what TM's a Pokemon can learn) I try and pick the rest of the team, and I try to leave at least 1 for HM slave.

Yep, for me Pokemon design comes first.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
I use Pokemon I've never used before, almost exclusively. Sometimes I plan teams ahead of time, though lot of times I just grab whatever catches my interest as I go along. I don't care much about Type balance either... usually I end up with a balanced team, but occasionally I'll end up with multiples of a type or two and that's alright.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I use cool Pokémon. You'll never see me use Pokémon that people tend to use just because it has good stats or a special perk. Nobody would even care about Lilligant if it didn't have Petal Dance with Own Tempo, for example.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
I use what I like design-wise. I don't really care if it's Overused or one of the worst out there, I make it work for the moment.

Floodblade1234

Spirit of Azelf
Years
it depends,If I'm playing a game I've played before I'll use what I know works and what I know are good pokemon for good situations. if I'm playing a game for the first time,I try and catch everything XD

Years
I actually have no preference when it comes to what the Pokemon look like or even how good they are for my party. The only thing I like to make sure of is that I have Pokemon of 6 different types, with varying movesets. This has given me opportunities in the past to find Pokemon of certain types that wouldn't otherwise be on my team, and in turn they've become some of my favorites.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I use most of them. I don't like using a set team, but prefer rotating through a fairly broad pool of them, just using whatever seems appropriate for whatever I'm doing at the moment.

Generally, I like anything that's particularly good at what it does, and good because it's designed and balanced well - not just good because it has uber stats. Uber bores me.

Mienshao is a good example. Between high attack, low defenses, Jump Kick, U-Turn and Regenerator, it's a great, well-balanced, interesting design. It hits hard and fast, but it has to, since it can't take hits very well. And since it not only takes damage if its Jump Kicks miss, but a fair amount of it, it sometimes needs to not only run to safety, but to get healed along the way, and U-Turn and Regenerator are perfect for that. The result is a great pokemon, and great because of the balance of its stats and moves and ability - not just because it has big numbers.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Typlosion/Arcanine/Charizard
Dragonite (will settle for another Dragon if unavailable, if I have to...)
Tyranitar
Pikachu (requires Light Ball and Volt Tackle)
Milotic/Feraligatr/Bastoise
Lucario/Scizor

Basically the same team I used in 1999, changed a lot with the Johto days. Always used a bird (noctowl/pigeot) but did away with that by teaching Dragonite fly. Before volt tackle came around I still used Raichu, with a Rain/Thunder combo. Still try to assemble basically the same team from when I was 10 though.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
I like to use Pokemon that evolve by happiness. Crobat is a common example from ruby hg and now seems I'll have one in white 2 since golbat was the best option against burgh xD but also riolu and I'll be utilizing my togepi in my new hg play through. I just like to feel attached to my Pokemon and like to see they care about me lol. Also funny story; playing white 2 when I beat colress the first time. Used riolu's force palm to annihilate his klink and magnemite. Afterwards riolu evolved into lucario. Then colress was all like "you're a trainer who brings out the best in your Pokemon by loving them." I couldn't stop loling at the irony xD cuz I literally brought out the best in riolu by evolving him with love. Bwahaha

Maxresh

D-Little Dictator
Years
To be honest I use only the 6 pokemon which I catch at first. Others remains in PC and I rarely withdraw them as my 6 pokemons goes on getting stronger and I don't need to deposit them at all. :P

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I've always liked going for the most menacing, coolest looking pokemon I can find. I don't like pokemon that are more cute than they are powerful (with the exception of maybe Chansey/Blissey) because they tend to lack the stats that I prefer (Attack, Special Attack) and because I like my team to be intimidating, not just in battle but in looks as well.

Back