• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Resueable TMs!

Sirfetch’d

So with each generation there has been a variety of new TMs introduced. We are up to 95 TMs now. WOW that's a lot! But with Black and White along came a new feature. You could reuse TMs. This changed the way you could play the game a lot, making it much easier to train pokemon by teaching them stronger moves without the worry of never being able to use that TM on another Pokemon. So what did you think of this feature? How much did it help you? Should it have been introduced sooner? Discuss....

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I actually loved this idea. TMs were so precious back in the days, if you wanted to keep the TM on some Pokemon you either had to know how to breed well so it passes on the moves or you didn't use them because they were so rare. Now it makes learning moves so much easier in B&W.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
This new feature was really great.It really saved me a few times.If only they were introduced it a bit sooner.It also saves you the hassle of saving it until you decide your official team.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I love the feature, when I found out they were reusable I taught all of my Pokemon and their grandmothers all of the good TMs I had.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
It's something that should have been in long before. There was no real reason a disk should have just broken on first use.

RenegadeClyde

....'-'.
Years
That was probaly one of the best features introduced in Black and White. In the past I never used an TM on my pokémon until I was REEEEALLY sure that was the pokémon I wanted to use the TM on. If I see my TM bag on Emerald right now, it has all the TMs in it. In Black and White I can teach all my pokémon the TMs I want without any worries. It was a great addition.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I'm pretty sure that, if pressed, I would say that reusable TMs was THE single best improvement they made to the series in this generation.

Yes - there was a certain minor amount of skill and strategy involved in figuring out how to chain breed to get one TM move on multiple pokemon (or you could just look it up online), but it was ultimately pointless and tedious, and actually doing all that level grinding and breeding and level grinding and breeding to get one move on another pokemon JUST because GF arbitrarily decided that TMs should go *poof* after one use was just that much more pointless and tedious. And the upshot of it all was that all too often, I didn't use TMs AT ALL, since there was no good reason to pick any one Pokemon to get it and it was just easier to not bother with them at all.

But all they had to do was make TMs reusable, and all of that went away and they immediately became not only useful, but FAR more useful than they ever were before. And not only that, but it also fixed the whole issue with HMs, with the only remaining problem being that you still have to go to a Move Deleter to get rid of them. But with reusable TMs, I've almost entirely stopped bothering with HM slaves, since I can just slap whatever HM I need on whoever can learn it in place of their least important TM move, and leave it on there until I don't need it any more, then go to the Move Deleter and get it removed and put the TM move back and that's that.

I only wish they'd done it years ago. I already had a hard time going back and playing anything before Gen IV, since I miss the physical/special split. Now I'm finding it hard to even play anything before Gen V, since it takes no time at all to find something that REALLY needs ____ move, but oh no - I can't give it that, since I only have one TM and I need to save it for this other pokemon. Unless I want to give it to this third one instead. But that one learns this other move that's sort of like the TM move except not as good but maybe it can get by with that and then I can put the TM on the second one but I'm not going to get that one for a while yet and it can't breed with anything that I can use to chain the move to anyone else but it'll get more use out of the move than this other one I've already got will but I've already got this one and it really needs the move and.... maybe I should just save it for now....

Yeah. The single best improvement of this generation.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
The reusable TMs is the greatest change and the biggest improvement in Black and White!
Now I have no worry to implement more strategy of Pokemon moveset. This change really make me appreciate using TMs more.

Years
I believe this was one of the greatest additions to the fifth gen games. In the past, there would always be the one off TMs that we would get that were extremely useful, but we could only get one Pokemon to learn that move. Now, we don't have to feel bad about using a TM on someone, while never being able to use it again.

Years
I have to say this was one of the reasons I enjoyed 5th Gen so much. Reusable TMs basically meant I didn't have to be too careful with selecting moves, which always hindered me from having good movesets in past games.

This was definitely one of the best changes B/W brought us, and I'm glad it will hopefully stay in future games.

Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2013
I personally hate this addition. Yeah we all know that we had that bag full of TMs, and yeah we all screwed up one time or another by teaching a pokemon we didn't really use a really awesome move, but I feel that this breaks the mechanics, now if I so want I can teach every pokemon in my party fireblast, flamethrower, and any other move I willy-nilly want, but now that whole strategy of making sure that this was the pokemon you wanted this move taught to is completely gone. Why not make everything an HM? What's the difference if the HMs are just going to get handed to you anyway? (Much like the TMs) so why not call everything an HM? What's the point of having differentials? And to top it off now someone out there is just going to break the game and have a rediculously over-powered team because of this. I was feeling sad that the pokemon from gen 1 and 2 (the generations I grew up with) were being pushed aside as pokemon 3, 4, and 5 got stronger and better stat pokemon, but this is rediculous...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I loved it. I only spent TMs you could get again before 5th gen.

I personally hate this addition. Yeah we all know that we had that bag full of TMs, and yeah we all screwed up one time or another by teaching a pokemon we didn't really use a really awesome move, but I feel that this breaks the mechanics, now if I so want I can teach every pokemon in my party fireblast, flamethrower, and any other move I willy-nilly want, but now that whole strategy of making sure that this was the pokemon you wanted this move taught to is completely gone. Why not make everything an HM? What's the difference if the HMs are just going to get handed to you anyway? (Much like the TMs) so why not call everything an HM? What's the point of having differentials? And to top it off now someone out there is just going to break the game and have a rediculously over-powered team because of this. I was feeling sad that the pokemon from gen 1 and 2 (the generations I grew up with) were being pushed aside as pokemon 3, 4, and 5 got stronger and better stat pokemon, but this is rediculous...

They fixed it by making the strongest TMs available very late in the game. What you said was true for older generations, when you could buy Fire Blast TMs and teach everyone in your party the TMs.

Years
i actually don't like this idea,for me the difference between the TMs and HMs was that TMs could only be used once and that HMs can be used in overworld. While the difference with use in overworld still remains the same, there is barely nowhere you can use HMs expect late game usually after game,not to mention you got TMs like Flash that still can be used in the overworld. One good thing about this is tough that you can teach all your pokemon moves like U-Turn or Volt Switch and do something like what Elesa did in your Gym Battle with her,well at least she did for me and does it most of the time.

Years
I loved the ability to sue my TMs. After TM89 broke into my house, I'm glad that gamefreak decided I could charge that sucker for all he had. I made a pretty penny too! And then when he broke in again, I could sue him again! BWAHAHA! lol sorry jelli :P

But in all honesty, I loved this new feature! It was really handy for great moves like earthquake, that I wanted many mons on my team to learn. Also, it was great when I went through the game rotating pokemon as I could teach a mon a TM and could replace them with no regrets. THis feature was great for nuzlockes too, for the reason above. I do wish they had introduced this earlier though, as I'd love to have it in all my other games haha. I do think it was pretty helpful! (reasons listed above)

Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2013
I loved it. I only spent TMs you could get again before 5th gen.

They fixed it by making the strongest TMs available very late in the game. What you said was true for older generations, when you could buy Fire Blast TMs and teach everyone in your party the TMs.

Oh I know about being able to buy Fire Blast, and the others, but those were the only ones. So there was still some strategy. Sure all of your pokemon could know it, but at the end of the day you have a move that's only good for five uses, I would rather have a move with 35 uses rather than the 5...

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
It was a great feature and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Reusable TMs got rid of the idea of wasting a TM. Want your Scolipede to know Earthquake in-game but a Heracross to know it for competitive use? You can have both! Being able to use a TM for a good move multiple times felt great because that aspect of HMs felt wasted with some moves in the past (Whirlpool, Rock Smash, Cut). And the best part is that it's entirely optional. If you don't want to use a TM more than once, you don't have to.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
There are still various differences between TMs and HMs. Most TMs don't have field effects (as far as I know only Dig and Flash), and HMs require badges to enable field effects.

I think it was an intelligent move because there are several evolutionary lines in which only the higher forms learned certain TMs, so you couldn't pass the moves. For example, Charmander can't learn Earthquake. If you wanted a Charizard with Earthquake, you had to spend the TM. It's quite telling that this specific TM had ways of getting multiple of it starting from Emerald (Pickup ability and Battle Frontier). Now they made it much better, although they did replace very useful moves from 4th gen with useless moves from 5th gen (hi Struggle Bug).

Also, what if you wanted to teach a TM to a legendary? The TM would be locked to that legendary and you'd have no way of getting another one.

Bounce

Blue eyes :3
Years
I think that this addition was pretty cool, but it took away from the challenge of breeding and breeding to get a move on a Pokemon, which I thought was also awesome.

Years
actually they made it that you don't need badges to use HM's,but they did made it that most HM's are obtainable after getting an badge

Back