The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Gliese
I Drink Nozz-A-La

Advertise here
Most of us have fictional worlds we wish we could live in, whether it's Pokemon, Harry Potter, and many others. However, some of us probably enjoy stories even though we'd probably rather not live in that world.

For me, that would be Mid-World in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. While it is my favorite book series of all time, Mid-World would not be a fun place to live at all. The remains of "civilization" are well past their prime, and the world is overrun by death, and horrors (both man-made and supernatural). It's the most post-apocalyptic world I can think of.

What about you guys? What fictional worlds are you glad you don't live in? And why?
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:05 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Mine would be The Matrix.

I mean, would you live in a world that is completely digital and only exist in your mind? Knowing that robots uses your body to keep them alive and that you are disposable? And when you DO wake up from that, the world that you were so used to is now gone and the whole world is being overrun by robots and that your whole life was a lie.

I don't think I would wanna live in that kind of world
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Mine would be The Matrix.

I mean, would you live in a world that is completely digital and only exist in your mind? Knowing that robots uses your body to keep them alive and that you are disposable? And when you DO wake up from that, the world that you were so used to is now gone and the whole world is being overrun by robots and that your whole life was a lie.

I don't think I would wanna live in that kind of world :(
Yeah, I'd have to agree with this, it means everything you know is a lie, no family, friends, anything, it's just... depressing xD
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:53 PM
FenrirDarkWolf
Water Musician Fenrir

Nature: Quirky
Have any of you all read the book called "Anthem?"
Well, in that world, there is no 'I' just 'we' even if referring only to yourself. You are given a word and a number for a name. One is forced to do something that they would hate to do, and is killed doing anything otherwise. There is no electricity, there is no lights. Deviating is a crime, and differences are not encouraged.
I wouldn't want to live in a world where I'm not my own person. And this just describes it. It was either this, or '1984.'

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296631 -My Art Den
On AAO
On DeviantArt
On FurAffinity
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:12 AM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Pokemon.
I don't want these monster creatures to make attempts to destroy me.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
Since this deals with fictional universes from media franchises, I think this belongs in Culture and Media General Entertainment, so I'm gonna move it over there

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Toutebelle
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I would really hate to live in an 80s teen movie like Revenge of the Nerds or Just One of the Guys.

I'm already very unpopular, and I can't imagine having to be tormented and emotionally abused by rich jocks who look like Nazi poster boys. In fact, watching too many of these movies made me develop a prejudice against all guys with blond hair. Plus I'm kind of nerdy, but if I was in an 80s teen movie that means I'd have to look like a total geek with square glasses, a pocket protector, and tighty whities that might get pulled over my head. (The last part was the reason why I started wearing boxers.) I'm a little vain, and I would never want to look that ugly. Too bad What Not to Wear doesn't help men! But I do wear glasses...just not all the time. And I'm glad I don't have the nerd physique. I'm bigger than half of the jocks!

If I did have to live in one, I'd hope for something like Carrie, where I could gain superpowers. I'd take revenge against the rich blond jocks.

Last edited by Toutebelle; February 12th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Esper

I wouldn't want to live in most fictional worlds. Fiction has an overabundance of danger. I would like to come up with an exhaustive list of why different worlds would be bad to live in, but that would take too much time. Anywhere with vampires, wizards, aliens, etc. etc. is probably going to be a bad place to live if you're a normal flesh-and-blood person.

deviantart blog pair
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

I would not like to live in Middle earth because I would be scared of the Orcs that would kill me.
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

I wouldn't want to live in Sword Art: Online's world since the chance of me ever unplugging from the nervegear (assuming the whole "lol trapped u gon die" situation never happened!) is would be about 0%. It sounds like an utterly amazing thing to be able to do/play and the whole experience would be incredible, but I don't think I'd ever be able to stop haha. Therefore life = ruined!
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
I think the world of Panem is one setting I wouldn't want to live in. Even though I'm way too old enough to be considered a tribute to the Hunger Games, I refuse to see my future children having to endure reapings every year...or worse, get chosen to be a tribute to the games. That would be horrible, not only as a parent myself, but a citizen in a poor district.
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Alex
Mmm, yeah
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I'd definitely not want to be in Ballooney land, where Pin Cushion Man reigns terror.

All joking aside, I think I'd like the world of Fruits Basket, or maybe Pokémon. Better yet, some fictional space-western reality with a massive army that I command. lol jk ;)
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:49 PM
bbgenderless600
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliese View Post
Most of us have fictional worlds we wish we could live in, whether it's Pokemon, Harry Potter, and many others. However, some of us probably enjoy stories even though we'd probably rather not live in that world.

For me, that would be Mid-World in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. While it is my favorite book series of all time, Mid-World would not be a fun place to live at all. The remains of "civilization" are well past their prime, and the world is overrun by death, and horrors (both man-made and supernatural). It's the most post-apocalyptic world I can think of.

What about you guys? What fictional worlds are you glad you don't live in? And why?
Friday the 13th wouldn't be fun because Jason would be a constant concern however the POTC Land seems fun so living there could be fun so that way i could meet up with Jack Sparrow so him and i could join up and do whatever.
Old February 15th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Febbe

although i'm a giant Final Fantasy fan i wouldn't want to live in most of the final fantasy worlds, just think about being as boxy looking as the final fantasy 7 characters or sound as dumb as Tidus in FFX.... or more seriusly all FF worlds are like on the brink of destruction n' stuff wouldn't be very funny.

Proud Dane - Viking In Greenland
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:03 AM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
Speaking of Square Enix, I would not want to be involved in the world of Kingdom Hearts, because everything is so spontaneously different and unworldly (as per the requirements of most, if not all, fiction anythings!). I wouldn't want to have to be cautious of creatures such as the likes of Hockomonkey, or basically anythingfrom Dream Drop Distance, lurking around the corner.. I'd be a shut-in, and shut-ins have no friends. :(
[4:32:35 AM] Shinx: my nipples are permanently erect
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Storm View Post
I think the world of Panem is one setting I wouldn't want to live in. Even though I'm way too old enough to be considered a tribute to the Hunger Games, I refuse to see my future children having to endure reapings every year...or worse, get chosen to be a tribute to the games. That would be horrible, not only as a parent myself, but a citizen in a poor district.
Definitely -- I'd be stuck in District 12 myself, so I'd definitely not want to live in Panem. That would be hell on Earth. I couldn't imagine how horrible it'd be. Save me Katniss!

I also wouldn't want to live in the Aliens universe with that evil company always trying to bring the alien back to Earth.
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

I would hate living in the reality of "The Walking Dead".
You all know why. Zombies would not be fun.
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
hmmm since 1984 has been said...

The world in In Time would suck. I couldn't take shortening my own life for basic material goods that are needed for the purpose of keeping me alive.
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Rainbow Daaash
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Hardy
As much as I love the franchise, I would not want to live in the Gears of War Universe. Why? Because they have these things.

(Can't post image, less than 15 posts. :L )

Giant Serapedes. Google it, since I can't put that image here... Maybe I'll come back and post an image of one after I make 15 posts. Anywho, I don't fear bugs in general. Just house centipedes. These things, are like 30 foot long, carnivorous, bulletproof, armor plated, predatory, electrically-charged-jaw, GIANT - house centipedes. No thank you. Keep me planets and universes away from whatever reality contains them.
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Definitely the universe of the Call of Duty series, along with being one of my most-hated franchises, living in places full of constant gunfire would mean I'd get killed pretty easily.

And I hate guns and FPS-genre games in general too, so that's a double no-no.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old February 18th, 2013, 03:33 AM
curiousnathan
a hero can be afraid, too

Nature: Careful
Although I love the Hunger Games series, I definitely would not like to be a tribute in one of the games; no thank you!
Old February 18th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Limanya
Page of Breath

Nature: Docile
Hmm, i don't think Alternia from Homestuck would be fun, what with the caste system and death everywhere.
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I would not want to live in the world of Pokemon. You leave home at the age of 10 to go live in the wilderness with nothing but a 1 foot starter against anything and everything nature can throw at you, including 4 foot bees. NO THANK YOU.
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:32 AM
B3andon
Unhatched Egg

I'm surprised no one mentioned this already, Star Wars is my pick. Not only can you travel in space at the light speed you can also get attacked by wookiees! Sounds pretty fun to me.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3andon View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned this already, Star Wars is my pick. Not only can you travel in space at the light speed you can also get attacked by wookiees! Sounds pretty fun to me.
This is places you WOULDN'T want to live in. I'm pretty sure people would want to live there... or in the Star Trek Univerise. I wouldn't want to live in the Sith era though, that'd be bad juju.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here