Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games > Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews
Notices

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Want to showcase yourself playing a game? Want to write a guide on how to beat the hardest levels of a game? Or maybe you want to give your review of a game you have? If so, this is the place for you!

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Gerri Shin
  

Nature: Modest
Hello everyone, welcome to my first ever Let's Play video series. I decided to play Pokémon White since I've played pretty much every other version available for the DS in the past couple months. The last time I played a full playthrough of White was over a year ago, so I'm primed to replay it anew and not know what's around the corner.

I Like to play through somewhat blind as I feel that gives more spontaneity and better reactions during gameplay. I'm getting started now so I can hopefully get much better for a future video playthrough of Pokémon X or Y in October later this year.

Well enough introduction, let's get to the Let's Play. Here's the Video, but for those with slower internet who would rather just read a long play version, I've included it in the spoiler below the video.
Spoiler:
Episode 1, Juniper gives us a Pokémon!
so I woke up this morning to find a big package on my desk. The note attached says it's from Professor Juniper and I have to open it when my friends Cheren and Bianca come over. Mom must have set it up here when I was asleep. Well, let's take a quick peek anyway, what's the harm in that…(HEY!!) oops, Cheren caught me! (Cheren: No peeking, the notes we all got say you have to wait for us to open it) Ok, where is Bianca anyway? [Minutes tick by…]
Finally! Bianca, you're late, again! well now that we're all here let's find out what's in here. Nice! There's 3 Pokéballs in here, looks like we each get a Pokémon!. I'll take this one!

Oshawott (male)
Water type/ Torrent
Tackle, Tail Whip

Neat I got an Oshawott! {Bianca wants to Battle} Not in my room, we'll make a mess! {Bianca doesn't listen and begins to battle with Tepig anyway) Oshawott, use Tackle until Tepig gives up! Nice, we won! (Cheren heals Oshawott, then challenges me to a battle too. "I can't make your room any more of a mess right?") Oshawott use tackle until Snivy gives up! Nice, We won again! ok well let's go downstairs, my mom's probably going to be mad.

Sorry mom we- [It's alright dear, you run along and thank the Professor for your Pokémon!] but shouldn't we- [Don't worry about your room, just go on] Umm thanks mom! See you. Ok so, there's Cheren by the Professor's cottage, but where's Bianca? She probably went home to show her parents her Tepig, Oh good here she comes now. Hello Professor Juniper! What's that, a nickname for my Oshawott? Sure, I'll call him Pallet! and a Pokédex too! Wow, this is like my birthday. Ok I'll meet you on Route 1.
Hi mom! you knew all of this was going to happen, way to find a way to get me out of the house, Dad's probably going to be so ticked that he wasn't here for this. A Town Map, now I can't get lost, GPS would have been nicer, but you know I like old fashioned things anyway. Thanks mom see you later!
So that's how I catch a Pokémon, neat thanks for the Pokéballs Professor. Hmm that Patrat over there looks a little scrawny, but this Lillipup looks strong. I think I'll call him Viridian! Neat! off to Accumula Town!

Party after Episode 1
Pallet the Oshawott
Water/Torrent
Level 7
Tackle, Tail Whip, Watergun

Viridian the Lillipup
Normal/Pickup
Level 4
Leer, Tackle
Equipment:
Custom PC, MacBook Pro (MBPr), 3DSxl Blue, 3DS Midnight Purple, iPhone 4S Green

Last edited by Gerri Shin; January 27th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
YOU HAD BETTER NOT BE DISRESPECTING SNIVY+COIL, GERRI. YOU HAD BETTER STOP STARTIN'. Bianca noticed that your window was still intact and decided, "Why not?" My best guess for Juniper's field of study is that she's determining when Pokemon evolution (as in actual, real-life, evolution) branched off from that of other creatures, if it did at all. Juniper is also the biggest Min-Maxers you'll ever meet, I suppose. Also Lilipup vs. Steelix - fight of the century.

All in all I think you did quite well for your first video, I didn't hear any awkward pauses or any umms and errs - I would suggest holding off from reading the dialog in future videos, and focus more on commentary, but not bad at all.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Gerri Shin
  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuoaman View Post
YOU HAD BETTER NOT BE DISRESPECTING SNIVY+COIL, GERRI. YOU HAD BETTER STOP STARTIN'.
I never said Snivy was bad, but also Snivy doesn't get Coil unil level 31 anyway (and evolutions get it even later than that). All I said was he was tough to use, especially for the first few gyms. Normally your pokémon arent; level 30+ until after gym 4-5, so Snivy wouldn't have any particularly strong moves or strategies until then; this makes Tepig and Oshawott much easier options for the early game.
Quote:
Also Lilipup vs. Steelix - fight of the century.
I can see it now,a lillipup with rock smash could totally take out a Steelix (if you've got enough potions)
Quote:
All in all I think you did quite well for your first video, I didn't hear any awkward pauses or any umms and errs - I would suggest holding off from reading the dialog in future videos, and focus more on commentary, but not bad at all.
Thanks Yuoaman, I'll keep that in min as I record the next few videos.
Equipment:
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
Gerri Shin
  

well episode 2 is up.

Long Play version
Spoiler:
So I begin this episode, by training up my lillipup. It holds it's own against ay challenger on route one and learned Bite too. I got both Lillipup and Oshawott up to level 9 then began to explore the town. there were a few people who just kept giving me the same new trainer advise and a generous old man who lived in an apartment in the north part of town gave me a free pokéball.
When I visited the house above the Pokémon Center I met a really nice couple who shared with me their passion for music and gave me a private concert which was really very good.

When I got to the Pokémon center, Prof. Juniper gave me and Bianca the proper tour of the place and told us what each of the sections do. There was the healing section, the public access computer section and then there was the Mart section. After she left I walked outside and Cheren asked me to join him to watch a public demonstration that was going on. Some weird green haired guy with only 1 eye kept babbling on about liberation and how we confine pokemon to a life of slavery and how he wanted to change all of that. I think his robes were too tight. If a pokemon wanted to leave its pokéball it can freely do so. gee wiz.

After the odd demonstration, an odd kid, also with green hair, starts asking what my Pokémon had just said. I told him he was hearing things, since my Pokémon were in their pokéballs. He challenged me to a battle anyway. He sent out a purloin, which was weaker than I expected, and Oshawott easily took it down with 3 water guns to the face. The green haired kid said his name was N and took off saying that he needs to find more pokémon friends. He definitely has a screw loose.
After the battle I went back to the Pokémon center and decided to get some rest and explore Route 2 the next day.

Pokémon at the end of Episode 2

Pallet the Oshawott
Level 9
Tackle, Tail Whip, Water Gun

Viridian the Lillipup
Level 9
Tackle, Leer, Odor Sleuth, Bite
Equipment:
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Gerri Shin
  

Episode 3: Some things start to Pan out!

Long Play
Spoiler:
Heading out towards Route 2 I got a call from Mom, who appeared behind me to present me with the running shoes! Which I prompty broke it tromping through the mud of Route 2 searching for any more interesting Pokémon. A couple of the local trainers decided that if I was going to be passing through, I should help them brian and wanted to battle. I happily accepted the challenge and proceeded to defeat all of them.

Exiting Route 2, Bianca ran up behind and surprised me with a battle to show me how much she had trained. She was impressed that I had still been stronger and resolved to train some more. I explored Striaton City a bit and found out that the gym leader had gone to the trainer school. I must have just passed him on my way in, but didn;t notice, because all I found in the school house was Cheren waiting for me. He decided a battle was in order too, and was equally as surprised as Bianca when I defeated him too. He left and I made my way back to the gym. The leader saw that I had an Oshawott and suggested that I may need to be ready to fight a grass type and that training in the Dreamyard nearby would be a good idea. I took the suggestion and wandered over the the dilapidated factory and found a few other trainers there preparing for the gym as well. A woman was handing out free Pokémon, and offered me a Pansear. Having no good way to combat grass types, I readily accepted the Pansear and named it Pewter. It was nearing dusk, so we returned to the Pokémon center, with tomorrow slated to train up Pewter into a great member of the team.

Pokémon after Episode 3

Pallet the Oshawott
Level 12

Viridian the Lillipup
Level 11

Pewter the Pansear
Level 10
Equipment:
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Hikamaru
now i'm on the outside
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Gerri, as soon as I saw this was a playthrough of B/W I just had to say how much I enjoyed these games. The story was like among the best of any Pokemon game, and nice to see you picked Oshawott too, so it seems like you've earned my love as well.

Also, I like that little nicknaming theme you've done with your team too. Can't wait for the next video from you Gerri!
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Gerri Shin
  

Episode 4 is up!

Long Play
Spoiler:
It was a lovely morning and Viridian was raring to go, but I felt that we could all benefit from a little bit more training before heading to the gym. After a quick training session, we headed over to the gym for breakfast, which they happily served after the waitstaff had challenged me to a battle to test whether I was ready for one of their leaders. Having been met outside the gym beforehand by Cilan,one of the Gym leaders,I was told that the leaders would decide which of the 3 of them I would battle based upon my starter. Of course, since I started with Oshawott, I knew that it would be Cilan we faced off against, but we were ready!

Viridian was brilliant! He took down Cilan's lillipup in 2 tackles, and barely got a scratch back. I switched over to Pansear though when Cilan sent out his Pansage. It wasn't that I thought Viridian wasn't up to the task; I really just wanted to let Pewter have some spotlight. After 2 incinerates, Pansage fainted out of exhaustion and Pansear simply sat back and wiped a bead of sweat from his brow.

After the battle Cilan presented us with the Trio Badge, he explained that the next gym could be found in Nacrene City. We walked back to the Pokémon center next door and rested up with a well earned mid morning nap. Route 3 would be a fun adventure for the afternoon...
Equipment:
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Gerri Shin
  

Episode 5 is up, in 2 parts! (long play version will be added later)

Equipment:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links