• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Who do you use the Master Balls on?

GallifreyanGallade

Poké Time Lord
Years
In each game, who do you use the master balls on? As for me...

Red/Yellow/LeafGreen: Mewtwo
Crystal: Suicune
Emerald: Rayquaza
Platinum: Heatran
HeartGold: Ho-Oh
Black: Kyurem
Black 2: Kyurem, Heatran

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I usually use them on roamers. If the game doesn't have a roamer or I have no intention of catching it, I just save it for something I'm too lazy to actually try to catch, like when the game forces you to catch the mascot legendary.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
... I find I don't use masterballs XD
It's like the Queen in chess, I feel it's so valuable that I need to save it for something really worth it, then I never end up using it. Usually it just ends up as 1hp sleeping ultraball spam, and my Masterball goes unused.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I used to use them on any legendary pokemon that I really wanted, such as Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and Lugia. Now I use them for roamers like Latios and Entei since they're much harder to catch.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Roaming legendaries mostly, perhaps on one legend I absolutely want, but I worry that I can't catch. Like Regigigas in B2.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Not counting emulator games (since its so easy to cheat and make hundreds of M.B. appear on PC) -

I have not used my master balls so far, I want to save them for a rare shiny - so far none have appeared in any of my 3 games. Maybe my only exception would be a legendary Pokemon but after I have ran out of all other Poke Balls I have with me at that moment.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
When I first started playing (Gen II), I would usually save them for the game's mascot or some other legend. Now, I don't use them at all. Unless I need some filler for a quick trade.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I've used them mostly on the main legendary of the game. Like in Red and Yellow I always used it on Mewtwo or in Gold/HeartGold I used it on Ho-oh, and in White I used it on Zekrom. The only time I used it on anything else was in FireRed when I used it on Entei. Since it's a roaming Pokemon I figured it's only easier than chasing it around. Plus with the Roar glitch in Gen III games I figured it might be my only chance.Now I've been trying save them for the roaming legendary or one that's hard to catch.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 28, 2024
I used to use it on the title legendaries, but I've grown to the point where I don't use it at all.

I remember accidentally using it on a Doduo back in Gold the first time I got it.

Years
Other than shiny Pokemon as well, the only times I can recall using a Master Ball was on Mewtwo in Yellow, and on Latias in Sapphire. I think that currently on HeartGold, I've got 8 Master Balls, transferred over from other games I didn't use them in (one of which I also won from the raffle in Goldenrod).

SoapIsEmo

Murkrow
Years
This one time i fought Dialga down to the wire, and ended up using it on him, but then i turned it off and back on and chucked a quick ball first turn. Ridiculous catch that was.

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2014
I like to use normal pokeballs or any type of ball that doesn't give you a higher catch rate, but Just to piss of my girlfriend I used my masterball on a Magikarp. ^^

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I use it as a backup in case I spend hours trying to catch a legendary and I keep failing. In Silver or Crystal I used it to catch a Chansey and in Pearl I think I caught Mesprit with it (but I could be wrong), so those were my weirdest uses for it. I clearly remember in Blue that I'd use it to catch Mewtwo because even to this day I hate the Cerulean Cave.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I tend to save them in case of shiny Pokemon that tend to teleport/self-destruct/explode.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
If I have to capture a Pokemon to advance the game, then I'll just use it on that. To my mind, Reshiram is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but there are probably others that I'm missing.

Back